Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,376 members, 7,808,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:17 AM

A Very Bitter Story To Tell - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Very Bitter Story To Tell (822 Views)

Help Me With A Story To Read / A Short Story To Spice Up Your Mind. / Mission Impossible (the Story To Learn From) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Very Bitter Story To Tell by Nobody: 3:37am On May 20, 2017
Growing children and youths should always heed to the advice of their parents and elderly ones because being obedient and towing the good part of life are stepping stones to greatness and success. I am going to narrate a very bitter experience I went through due to my disobedience and stubborness. I was born in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria on 3rd March, 1998. My father is the best dad in the world who never allows us lack anything and always advises I and my siblings to always be respectful, obedient, hardworking, prudent, humble and follow good company. What I am about to narrate occurred in the year 2013 when I was still in secondary school. I always wanted to be free when I was still a young boy. I was 15 years old then and I was in Senior Secondary School 2 (S.S.S2). I was about writing W.A.E.C (West African Examination Council exam which is one of the compulsory exams one has to write and also pass before gaining admission into any university in West Africa) when I undertook a very dangerous journey which would have led to my death.
On that fateful day which was a Monday, I and my brother woke up by 5:30 am. We had our bath, brushed our teeth and performed our morning chores. We always went to school together every morning but returned home separately due to our class and timetable difference. Earlier on, I had wanted to carry out my plan after school hours but I later changed my mind and decided to stay at home and do so; My plan was travelling to Ghana without my parent's consent. When it was time for us to leave for school, I told my brother to leave first because I had to complete an assignment which was given to me. As soon as he left for school, I took off my school uniform and hid inside my wardrobe waiting for my dad to go to work before executing my plan. My dad always locked his door and left his key at home before going to work everyday so I planned on unlocking his door and stealing his money as soon as he left for work. I was waiting patiently inside my wardrobe for some hours and then finally, I heard him lock his door about to leave. I was happy and at the same time frightened because I was about taking a risk.
Each of us had a key to the main gate of our house which we always locked whenever going out and an extra one which we always kept on my drawer inside my room but unknowingly to me, my dad left his key at his workplace the previous day and that was what led to my first problem. As soon as he locked his door, I heard him approach my room and that made me really frightened. As soon as he opened the door, my heart skipped due to fear. I started asking myself questions such as: What made him come into my room?, Did he know I was inside the wardrobe and how?; I was scared to the core. I peeped through a little opening because I wanted to see everything he was doing. As soon as he opened the door, he headed for my drawer and to my utmost surprise, the key was not on it. I felt relieved thinking that he was going to leave the room but he didn't, instead he started searching for the key. I almost wet my pants as he started searching for the key. He searched every nook and cranny but he didn't find it. I was surprised because I saw the key on the drawer the previous day so I was wondering what was going on. I made sure I didn't make any noise while he was in the room and then he finally headed towards the door about to leave and that made me really happy.
As he was about leaving, he paused for a second and turned towards my wardrobe. A chill ran down my spine as he approached the wardrobe in which I was hiding. I thought to myself; what am I going to do should he see me? What excuse should I give for not going to school? What reason am I going to give for being inside the wardrobe?; I was really frightened. As he got close to the wardrobe, I said to myself; my end is close. He opened the wardrobe and to his utmost surprise, I laid there. I was dumbfounded and ashamed of myself. We stared at each other for about ten seconds. He broke the silence by telling me to come out of the wardrobe. When I came out, he told me to go to the sitting room which I did. He then told me to go on my knees which I also did. He sat down on one of the armchairs for sometime pondering over what just happened and then went into his room. I knew that I was going to be mercilessly whipped. He came out of his room with three canes. When he entered the sitting room, he sat on the armchair and told me to come closer which I did.
As I went closer to him, he was looking at me pitifully and at the same time angrily. After sometime, he told me to sit beside him which I did. He then asked me why I didn't go to school and what I was doing inside the wardrobe. My father is a strict man who hates being lied to and I knew that, but I still went on to lie to him. When he asked me, I told him I was searching for my school uniform inside the wardrobe and decided to rest for awhile before continuing the search but I didn't realize when I slept off. He asked me again and I said the same thing. He then told me he was going to give me one last chance and pleaded with me but I still lied. He then asked me why the wardrobe was closed because If I slept off unknowingly while searching for my school uniform, the wardrobe would've been open. I didn't know what to say because I had already been exposed. He then told me to lay on the floor which I did frightfully.
I made up my mind that I wasn't going to tell him the truth because I knew what was awaiting me If I had done so. As I laid on the floor, I started regretting all my actions and was begging for forgiveness but he refused forgiving me because I refused telling him the truth. He lashed me all over my body including my legs, hands, buttocks and back. I was wailing and shouting because he was lashing me really hard. When I couldn't stand the pain any longer, I ran out from the sitting room and went to the backyard. While I was at the backyard, I heard him saying he was going to deal with me when he gets back from work and there and then, I knew I was in trouble. I thought of the disgrace and shame I'd face should my uncles, aunts, cousins, friends, etc. hear of what I did; I finally decided to execute my plan. As he was about leaving, my uncle who was living with us came back from where he went to so I had to wait till he slept off or went out again because I had made up my mind to leave that day. After awhile, my brother came back from school and that made it even more harder for me to carry out my plan. They didn't know about what happened. About an hour later, my uncle went out again and my brother had just fallen asleep due to fatigue. As soon as the coast was clear, I used my dad's key to unlock his door and then stole 100,000 naira from his bag. I told myself that I wouldn't ever return home. I locked his door, kept his key in its usual position, packed all my belongings and left.
I had finally left home to be free. I went straight to a phone shop and purchased a Nokia phone worth 17,000 naira. I knew I had to manage the money if I was going to survive for a long time. I took a taxi going to The Young Shall Grow Transport Company which was where I was going to board a vehicle going to Lagos State. When I got to the motor park, I boarded a night vehicle leaving for Lagos by 7:00pm. I forgot that I hadn't eaten since morning so I bought a soft drink and bread and ate to my satisfaction and then slept for about thirty minutes. I was woken up by one of the company officials who was announcing that the bus would be leaving in ten minutes. I carried my luggage and stood in the queue. We left for Lagos State at exactly 7:15pm and this was my first time travelling alone. While I was in the bus, I almost shed tears when I remembered my parents, siblings and relatives; I thought I was never going to see them again.
I slept almost throughout the journey but I can vividly remember us passing Delta State. I woke up when we were about arriving Lagos State by 5:00am. I didn't have any relatives or friends there so I decided to inquire about any cheap hotel where I could spend about two days in. After four inquiries, I found a cheap hotel that charged 4,000 naira per day so I decided to stay there for about two to three days. When I unpacked my bag, I changed into casual clothes and went out to buy what I was going to eat. I noticed that Lagos was really different from Port Harcourt during the period of time I was there. The roads are wider (six lanes in major roads whereas those in Port Harcourt are two or four), the pedestrian bridges are in use, most people living there speak Yoruba language, the cost of goods are cheaper and so many other things. I spent three days in Lagos State. On the night before I was to leave for Ghana, I asked one of the hotel attendants about the routes and the best cross country transport company and I was told that ABC transport company was the best but the cost was too high so I decided to reduce cost by using another method but this way would require me boarding about five vehicles. That night, I slept for a long period of time because I knew that the next day was going to be hectic.
The next morning, I woke up by 6:00am. I brushed my teeth, had my bath and packed all my belongings. By 6:40am I left the hotel and boarded a vehicle going to Cotonou. On my way to Cotonou, I bought snacks and a soft drink which I ate and drank. I was very conscious of my spendings because I knew that if I spent carelessly, I'd pay the price. When I got to Cotonou, I made inquiries about the next step which was boarding a vehicle headed to Ghana. I met a shopkeeper in Cotonou and asked her where I could get a vehicle headed to Ghana and she directed me. When I got to the motor park, I saw different buses and cars headed to different countries such as Togo, Cameroon, Benin Republic, Ivory Coast, Ghana, etc.; I paid the transport fare for Ghana and boarded the bus. We left Cotonou for Ghana at about 9:00am. I was really happy because I was finally on my way to Ghana. I was vigilante throughout the journey because I didn't want to be robbed and I also wanted to view the environs because this was my first time leaving Nigeria. We arrived Benin Republic at about 11:30am (Nigerian time) and I was surprised to see that Benin Republic was not as developed as Nigeria because I always thought that Benin Republic was more developed. French is the official language there and their physical appearance is also different from that of Nigerians.
As we left Benin Republic, after about two hours of travelling, we arrived Togo. Togo is not as developed as Benin Republic not to talk more of Nigeria. The official language there is French language and a little bit of English Language. We travelled for about three hours after leaving Togo before getting to the border between Ghana and Togo where I had 53,000 naira of 55,000 naira which I had left changed to Ghana cedis and it came out as 550 Ghana cedis while I left 2,000 naira unchanged. I was overjoyed and happy because I always wanted to visit Ghana. I always saw Ghana as the best African country in terms of infrastructure, beautiful environs and education. Whenever I saw Accra city on TV, I always told myself that I'll visit Ghana one day even if not in my youthful years but whenever I had the opportunity to do so. When I arrived, I boarded a vehicle at the motor park which was headed to Accra. On our way to Accra, I purchased biscuits and a soft drink in a traffic jam which I ate to my fill before sleeping for awhile. Accra is a very beautiful city with good roads, well functioning road and traffic lights and very good scenery. We arrived Accra at a little after 6.:00pm. As soon as we arrived, I remembered that I had to purchase a Ghanaian sim card which I was going to be using to browse. After that, I made enquiries about the cheapest hotels in Accra from a taxi driver ll1and I was driven there by him.
When I got there, I paid him the transport fare and he drove off. When I got into the hotel, all eyes were on me because I was looking too young. I went to the hotel attendant and asked about the price and she told me 40 cedis per day which was equivalent to 4,000 naira which I paid. She then asked me my age and I told her I was 15 years of age and that made her really surprised. She told me that they don't allow people below the age of 18 but I lied that I was waiting for my dad who was going to be arriving in a week from Cameroon and I couldn't return to Nigeria because my school there in Ghana had vacated for the term and I wanted to wait for him so that we could return together. She believed me and gave me the key to one of the rooms. When I got into the room, I unpacked my bag and had my bath. I then changed into casual clothes and went out to buy what I was going to eat ; I still couldn't believe I was in Ghana. I went to a shop not too far from the hotel and purchased a toothbrush, toothpaste, bathing soap, 20 cedis recharge card, milk drink and a loaf of bread. I was very careful because I didn't want to loose money or get robbed. After I was done purchasing, I went back to my hotel room. I inserted the tigo sim card which I bought and then switched the phone on. I drank the milk drink which I bought and ate the bread and as soon as I finished, I loaded the recharge card and then subscribed to a data plan. I then logged onto my facebook account to check if I had any messages and to my greatest surprise, I saw a message from my aunt who was based in the U.S with her family. Her message read thus: ‘Victor, how're you doing? I hope all is well. Please I'm pleading with you to please go back to the house and sort things out with your Dad. What occurred doesn't guarantee you running away. Shame the devil and please return to the house'. When I read the message, I felt very sad and depressed. I couldn't think of any other thing in the next three hours. I thought of returning but I couldn't because of the shame ad disgrace I'd face should I return. I then downloaded some songs and videos in order to move my mind away from the issue. After about two hours later, I feel asleep.
The process of eating and paying hotel bills continued for about a week and some days until I was left with 50 Ghana cedis. I started thinking of the next step to take. I went downstairs and paid the fee of 40 cedis for that day and purchased snacks and a cold drink of about 5 cedis; I was now almost broke. After eating that morning, I thought about what to do to raise money and then I finally decided to sell my phone. I wasn't really happy taking that decision because my phone was what kept me company throughout that period but I had no choice other than to sell it. I then dressed and took a taxi going to Kwame Nkrumah Circle which was a large and popular market in Accra. When I got there, I inquired about phone sellers and I was directed to where they were. When I got there, they were all asking me if I wanted to sell any phone and I replied positively. When I showed one of them the phone, he told me that he'd purchase it for 70 cedis which was equivalent to 7,000 naira. I didn't agree on the price because I bought it at a price of 17,000 naira. I met all of them and was finally able to sell it for 90 cedis which was a loss for me. I decided to use 80 Ghana cedis for my hotel fee for two days and then 10 cedis for feeding. When I got back to the hotel, I paid 40 cedis to the hotel attendant and then went to my room. I spent that day watching TV and sleeping as well as the next day. By the night of the next day, I was broke; I had exhausted all my money. I couldn't sleep that night because I was thinking about my life; I started shedding tears when I remembered how my dad always advised me. I remembered my siblings and friends as well as my relatives. I was going to be living in the streets.
**TO BE CONTINUED**
Re: A Very Bitter Story To Tell by Nobody: 3:47am On May 20, 2017
**CONTINUATION**
In the morning of the next day, I vacated the hotel. When I left the hotel, I didn't have anywhere to go to so I was just roaming around. I trekked till I got to a lonely area and then sat for sometime there thinking about what to do next. I thought to myself: What am I going to do? How am I going to be feeding? Am I ever going to see my parents and siblings again? Am I going to survive? I sat there for about an hour and then left the vicinity. I kept on trekking until I got to an area which I felt was comfortable for me to stay for sometime, so I laid on an empty bench and slept off; I held my bag well in order to avoid it being stolen. I didn't know how long I stayed there because I wasn't with a wrist watch. When I woke up, I just sat there till it was getting dark; I then started thinking of how I was going to eat and where I was going to sleep. I met a female shopkeeper and lied to her that I was robbed and had nowhere to sleep that night; she felt pity for me and gave me two biscuits and a soft drink and also allowed me to sleep in front of her shop; I thanked her so much and sat down on a bench. When she locked up and left, I laid down on the bench and tried sleeping but I couldn't because I was scared of thieves. I stayed awake for some hours before something terrible happened to me. I saw three young men approach me and that made me really terrified. As they came closer, I wanted to leave there but they yelled at me to stop moving. I had no choice but to do as they said. They asked me who I was and why I was sleeping on the bench and I told them that I was robbed and had nowhere to sleep. Before I knew what was happening, one of them signalled to the others for them to take my bag. When I noticed what they were about doing, I started pleading with them to not take it but they still insisted. I decided to run away because I didn't want to give them the bag. When they noticed that I wanted to run away, one of them brought out a jackknife and threatened to kill me if I dared to make a move. I thought of shouting for help but that would've worsened the situation. Luckily for me, a group of policemen were passing and that was what saved me. They all ran away as soon as they sighted them from afar. I couldn't sleep till morning because of what just happened; I almost lost my life. The next day was spent roaming around and begging for food just like the previous day. That night, I slept in a motor park. I made up my mind to call my father and beg for forgiveness the next day.
In the morning of the next day, I woke up when the sun hadn't fully risen and had a change of clothes because the shirt and trousers I was putting on were very dirty due to sweat and dust. I then left the motor park and began searching for any business center where I could contact my father. After much trekking, I finally located one and pleaded with them to assist me to make an international call because i was stranded. I dialled my father's phone number which rang; I said to myself as I heard him answer, 'it will soon be over'. When he answered the call, he asked who was speaking and then I told him I was the one. He exclaimed asking where I was and how I was doing. I told him I was in Ghana and he was really shocked to hear that. I told him I hadn't eaten anything for three days and was about dying. He told the young lady to give me something to eat and 10 cedis which he was going to pay. He also pleaded with her to let me stay in her shop for sometime because he was contacting one of his friends in Ghana who could help me return to Nigeria. After awhile, his friend Mr. Uche came to the shop and paid the girl her money and we both left for his house. I lied to them that I was kidnapped and brought to Ghana but I luckily escaped. They all felt pity for me when I narrated the story; when I was asked how I got my bag, I told them that a woman felt pity for me after hearing my story and gave me the bag with some clothes. I stayed with him and his family that day and the next and then returned to Lagos. I arrived Lagos by evening that day and was welcomed by my father's business partner who was based there with his family. I stayed in Lagos that night and returned to Port Harcourt, Rivers State the next day. I left Lagos at about 7:00am and arrived Port Harcourt at about 5:00pm.
When we arrived the motor park in Port Harcourt, fear and shame took over me. As soon as I sighted my father from afar, tears rolled down my cheeks. We entered our car and then drove off. On our way home, we didn't say anything to each other. When we got home, I was surprised to see my siblings and also my father's siblings in the sitting room. My father told me to have something to eat before the meeting started. The time for the meeting had reached so I went to the sitting room. During the meeting, I explained everything that happened and begged for forgiveness. I knelt in front of my dad and pleaded for forgiveness. They all forgave me and advised me to be prayerful at all times in order to overcome temptations. I was happy to be with my dad and siblings. I'm still living with the shame of what I did up till this momet so I urge anyone reading this story to be obedient and respectful towards elderly people and also heed to advice; Obedience is better than sacrifice.
Re: A Very Bitter Story To Tell by Kurupt01: 8:09am On May 20, 2017
Glad it all turned out well for you, you might not be lucky next time. Immediately I saw 100k I knew your plan was flawed.

(1) (Reply)

Arrested For Touching / Friday To Sunday... A Runs Girls Diary / Drogba (written in pidgin English)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.