Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,533 members, 7,801,488 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:58 PM

Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights (7321 Views)

US To Allow Armed Drone Exports / Should INEC Postpone The Election To Allow More People Collect Their PVC? / FRSC Sacks 100 Marshals For Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by H2O2: 12:57am On Jan 14, 2010
(01-13) 08:00 PST ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) --

Nigeria says it will allow armed U.S. air marshals on flights between the West African nation and the U.S. after the failed Christmas Day airliner bombing.

Aviation Minister Babtunde Omotoba says the government will sign an agreement with the U.S. to allow the federal agents on airplane. Omotoba said Wednesday that Nigeria will ask the U.S. to train Nigerian security agents to serve a similar role on other air carriers.

The U.S. has placed Nigeria on a list of 14 countries where passengers must undergo stricter security screening before boarding any U.S.-bound flight. The Nigerian man accused of trying to blow up the Detroit-bound plane on Christmas Day began his journey at Nigeria's largest airport.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/01/13/international/i075517S87.DTL#ixzz0cXXKgjWd
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by bkbaybe99: 1:05am On Jan 14, 2010
muahhahahahahahahahaa. Nigerians, say hi to your new masters. lol. hahahahahahha. the plan is coming into place. wasnt the first place the crotch bomber go to Ghana? Why arent they sending Marshals there? The United States is smart as hell, call as much attention to Nigeria's defenses as possible and all the Al Qaeda leadership is going to be having wet dreams about is how to 'break it'. They will try and try to hit Nigeria just to show that the U.S security measures are seen as a failure. Then guess what? The U.S views Nigeria as a security risk, moves its military in to protect the country, then 'voila', Nigeria becomes a U.S protectorate or another Afghanistan or Iraq. Or maybe Somalia or Yemen. Oh boy, here goes the country called Nigeria.lol
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by Nobody: 1:10am On Jan 14, 2010
I dont see why Nigerians cant be air marshalls on their own flights?

are the parties involved doing the same for Yemeni, Ethiopian and Ghanaian flights?
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by H2O2: 1:15am On Jan 14, 2010
tpia.:

are the parties involved doing the same for Yemeni, Ethiopian and Ghanaian flights?
That's what I have difficulty with coming to terms with. I realize it's for a good cause, but I feel like we are being manhandled.

I do think that Nigerians can serve as the marshals, although they MUST be U.S. trained.
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by Nobody: 1:18am On Jan 14, 2010
^^ for some weird reason, US styles rarely work exactly as planned outside of the US.

Besides the entertainment industry that is. Hollywood, etc.
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by Moonstone(f): 1:25am On Jan 14, 2010
What the heck for?
We have one incident - just one incident and they're treating us as if we're regular terrorists.
Richard Reid was coming from London - why don't they have U.S. Armed Air Marshals on that flight.

I know we have our challenges to security but they need to use our own manpower
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by mamagee3(f): 1:33am On Jan 14, 2010
This is ridiculous just because a Nigerian that wasn't
even brought up in Nigeria tried to bomb a plane up doesn't
mean flight Passengers should experience hell
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by H2O2: 1:36am On Jan 14, 2010
tpia.:

^^ for some weird reason, US styles rarely work exactly as planned outside of the US.

Besides the entertainment industry that is. Hollywood, etc.
The U.S. knows best how to exercise dictatorship over those they consider enemies.
Nigeria is currently portrayed as an enemy state.

When the central intelligence agency and their other counter-terrorism agences were chagrined by mutallab's successful terrorism, their panel of experts went on radio and TV to nigrify us to the blackest extent.  They made remarks like, "he bought a one-way ticket, no checked-in baggages, he's nigerian . . . "
No Nigerian had previously attempted to blow up a plane (to my knowledge), and his Nigerian heritage was not indicative of terrorism so what does "he's Nigerian" have to do with it.

That's when I knew they were grasping desperately at straws and fabricating stereotypes that did not exist.
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by ElRazur: 1:37am On Jan 14, 2010
Nothing ridiculous about this. If Nigeria refuses to fix up, it will be fixed from outside. Period.
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by Nobody: 1:41am On Jan 14, 2010
H2O2:

The U.S. knows best how to exercise dictatorship over those they consider enemies.
Nigeria is currently portrayed as an enemy state.

When the central intelligence agency and their other counter-terrorism agences were chagrined by mutallab's successful terrorism, their panel of experts went on radio and TV to nigrify us to the blackest extent.  They made remarks like, "he bought a one-way ticket, no checked-in baggages, he's nigerian . . . "
No Nigerian had previously attempted to blow up a plane (to my knowledge), and his Nigerian heritage was not indicative of terrorism so what does "he's Nigerian" have to do with it.

That's when I knew they were grasping desperately at straws and fabricating stereotypes that did not exist.

na today?

They usually shout Nigerian whenever the news is slow.

They had a regular slot for "To catch a thief" which was about Nigerian 419ers way before they ever heard of mutallab

You should see how Nigerians get "bad eye" afterwards from non-Nigerians everytime that program airs.
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by sjeezy8: 1:54am On Jan 14, 2010
tpia.:

you must be smoking something
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by Akebulan: 4:51am On Jan 14, 2010
I have such a bad feeling about this.
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by Sunnybobo3(m): 5:19am On Jan 14, 2010
ElRazur:

Nothing ridiculous about this. If Nigeria refuses to fix up, it will be fixed from outside. Period.

What if we have the Fort Hood guy as one of the armed marshals onboard?
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by H2O2: 5:25am On Jan 14, 2010
Sunny_bobo:

What if we have the Fort Hood guy as one of the armed marshals onboard?
Then we're phocked angry
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by bluespice(f): 5:32am On Jan 14, 2010
who the fc-uk gave this directive? shocked

can't they do the training on ground and on simulated flights?
why the fc-uk should there e US operatives manning nigerian flights?
abi is goodluck smoking cheap crack? shocked
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by Nobody: 5:37am On Jan 14, 2010
was goodluck the one who agreed to this?

Expect Africom stat then
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by No2Atheism(m): 5:38am On Jan 14, 2010
- Africom is coming . . . stay tuned . . .

- A journey of a thousand years starts with a small step. . .

The end game would soon become clearer . . . .stay tuned . . .
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by No2Atheism(m): 5:39am On Jan 14, 2010
@tpia

wow i can't believe we even came to the same conclusion . . . . . .
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by Jakumo(m): 5:41am On Jan 14, 2010
This is a very good idea.  Anyone who gets violent on board an aircraft or tries to light an incendiary or explosive device will need to be neutralized quickly and precisely with a well-aimed volley of shots.   The marshalls must of course load up with those ceramic rounds that will kill a human, but shatter against the fuselage, rather than puncture the aircraft skin.

Go ahead hijackers, make their day, and watch what happens in the blink of an eye.  Were I ever to board a Nigerian aircraft, I would feel way safer knowing that Clint Eastwood is aboard and ready to light folks up.
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by No2Atheism(m): 5:43am On Jan 14, 2010
People lets understand . . .

- Nigerian politicians are corrupt and sometimes incompetent.

- US knows they are corrupt and incompetent.

- Hence the US would do everything possible to take advantage of this to pursue their own interest in Nigeria.

- Nigerian politicians cannot do anything about it cus they know they would get into trouble of having the corrupt deals exposed.

Until Nigeria has a leader willing to shun international recognition and actually work for the benefit of the country . . . i am sorry but we are simply in trouble.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If u present urself as an slowpoke . . . the West would take advantage of you like an slowpoke . . . Nigerian unelected leaders are simply in US pocket . . . hence in reality there is nothing that can be done . . .
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by No2Atheism(m): 5:46am On Jan 14, 2010
Jakumo:

This is a very good idea.  Anyone who gets violent on board an aircraft or tries to light an incendiary or explosive device will need to be neutralized quickly and precisely with a well-aimed volley of shots.   The marshalls must of course load up with those ceramic rounds that will kill a human, but shatter against the fuselage, rather than puncture the aircraft skin.

Go ahead hijackers, make their day, and watch what happens in the blink of an eye.  Were I ever to board a Nigerian aircraft, I would feel way safer knowing that Clint Eastwood is aboard and ready to light folks up.

. . . hmm . . . u mean the same Marshals that were present on 911. . . hmm abeg make i hear word . . .

-----------------------------

Do you realise that CIA is headquartered in Ghana . . . yet Farouk spent 2 weeks in Ghana . . .

----------------------------

- US has the right to protect its citizens against terrorists . . .however the question then becomes 'which terrorists' and 'who is actually creating those terrorists'. . .
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by H2O2: 5:49am On Jan 14, 2010
Jakumo:

This is a very good idea. Anyone who gets violent on board an aircraft or tries to light an incendiary or explosive device will need to be neutralized quickly and precisely with a well-aimed volley of shots. The marshalls must of course load up with those ceramic rounds that will kill a human, but shatter against the fuselage, rather than puncture the aircraft skin.

Go ahead hijackers, make their day, and watch what happens in the blink of an eye. Were I ever to board a Nigerian aircraft, I would feel way safer knowing that Clint Eastwood is aboard and ready to light folks up.
What if an innocent flier is accidentally "offed" by a stray bullet shocked
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by Jakumo(m): 5:54am On Jan 14, 2010
No2Atheism:

. . . hmm . . . u mean the same Marshals that were present on 911. .

There were in fact NO sky marshalls present to confront the 911 hijackers, and that is the primary reason the terror unfolded unabated.  

I support armed marshalls on ALL flights to and from ALL destinations, and I have no worries about all those guns, since I have no intention of so much as complaining about the food,  talk less of raising my voice aboard an aircraft, or starting some chit.

Responding to the last post, I would rather take my chances of winding up as collateral damage during a bombing or hijack attempt, than I would face the CERTAINTY of a fiery death if there is no lawman with a gun present to restore order.
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by No2Atheism(m): 5:55am On Jan 14, 2010
H2O2:

What if an innocent flier is accidentally "offed" by a stray bullet  shocked

- Do US marshalls board planes from UK to US and back . .

- Do US marshalls board planes from Europe to US and back . .

- Do US marshalls board planes from Ghana to US and back . . . (remember CIA is headquarterd in Ghana and a Ghanaian was also once caugth to be connected to terrorism)

Can someone please provide an answer to the above question . . .
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by No2Atheism(m): 5:57am On Jan 14, 2010
Jakumo:

There were in fact NO sky marshalls present to confront the 911 hijackers, and that is the primary reason the terror unfolded unabated.  

I support armed marshalls on ALL flights to and from ALL destinations, and I have no worries about all those guns, since I have no intention of so much as complaining about the food,  talk less of raising my voice aboard an aircraft, or starting some chit.

Responding to the last post, I would rather take my chances of winding up as collateral damage during a bombing or hijack attempt, than I would face the CERTAINTY of a fiery death if there is no lawman with a gun present to restore order.

- Good for you . . . that you support such . . .

- Is Air marshalls a standard procedure . . .or why do u think there was non on 911 flight.

- Is Air marshalls a post-911 thing or is it a pre-911 thing.
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by Jakumo(m): 6:03am On Jan 14, 2010
I am not privy to the deployment statistics of US air marshalls, but suffice to say there weren't enough of them before 911, and there will be a whole lot more now, especially on flights to and from "countries of interest" like Nigeria. Praise the Lord !

God created men, but Captain Colt, inventor of the Colt 45 six-gun, made them all equal
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by No2Atheism(m): 6:05am On Jan 14, 2010
Jakumo:

I am not privy to the deployment statistics of US air marshalls, but suffice to say there weren't enough of them before 911, and there will be a whole lot more now, especially on flights to and from "countries of interest" like Nigeria. Praise the Lord !

God created men, but Captain Colt, inventor of the Colt 45 six-gun, made them all equal

I am happy to inform you that i oppose violence and killing in any form hence as much as i oppose terrorists i also oppose your idea of security. . .
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by Jakumo(m): 6:11am On Jan 14, 2010
Perhaps you would prefer that passengers try to beg and negotiate with hijackers who are bent on gaining access to the 72 virgins by blowing the plane up. I'd much rather watch their sorry aszes cut down in a hail of projectiles, but then I've always been a sucker for happy endings.
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by RichyBlacK(m): 6:14am On Jan 14, 2010
No2Atheism:

- Good for you . . . that you support such . . .

- Is Air marshalls a standard procedure . . .or why do u think there was non on 911 flight.

- Is Air marshalls a post-911 thing or is it a pre-911 thing.

Let me answer your questions:

1. Air Marshals have been standard procedure since the late 1960s. This was prompted by the spate of hijackings of US flights to Cuba by persons acting outside the direction of the Cuban government. Cuba was (and still is) an attractive destination because the US had (still the case) limited to zero influence on Cuba. Also, the deployment of Air Marshals is random, however, flights viewed as high risk are typically selected.

2. The Air Marshals program is a "pre-911 thing", since the program started in the late 1960s.
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by H2O2: 6:20am On Jan 14, 2010
Jakumo:

then perhaps you can bring me to understand how a sky marshal would have prevented Farouk Abdul Mutallab's successful boarding and  failed explosive-detonation.   the air marshals may smear feelings of safety in passengers, but would they achieve their intended goal?
it's a good scare tactic though.
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by dirtdiver1: 6:26am On Jan 14, 2010
One moment, Nigeria is giving ultimatums to the US and the very next, we're a$$-licking 'em.
Nigeria, a country with a leadership of misplaced priorities.
Re: Nigeria To Allow Armed U.s. Air Marshals On Flights by Sunnybobo3(m): 6:28am On Jan 14, 2010
Jakumo:

Perhaps you would prefer that passengers try to beg and negotiate with hijackers who are bent on gaining access to the 72 virgins by blowing the plane up. I'd much rather watch their sorry aszes cut down in a hail of projectiles, but then I've always been a sucker for happy endings.

What if you have a Nidal Malik Hasan as one of the marshalls?

Then it becomes the case of the hunter becoming the hunted.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

2012 Budget Details: Promising Or Wasteful? / Biafra And The Yearnings Of The Niger Delta / PMB Does It Again. Fashola Delivers Again For PMB Led FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.