Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,863 members, 7,806,451 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:44 PM

Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August (29442 Views)

Glut In Egg Supply / 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant / Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by bigiyaro(m): 9:17am On Jun 09, 2017
AloyalNigerian:

I'm dissapointed in you.
better wake up, Nigeria is a failed British experiment.
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by AloyalNigerian(m): 9:28am On Jun 09, 2017
bigiyaro:
better wake up, Nigeria is a failed British experiment.
Noted. But how it relates to the topic is what I don't understand.
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by sharon37o8(f): 9:48am On Jun 09, 2017
hisgrace090:
Raining season is never a good season for tomato survival.

true

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by eodavids(m): 10:04am On Jun 09, 2017
Op hold it there.

One major reason we always have scarcity of tomatoes and other veges is because immediately after the rainy season, farmers in the North embarks on dry-season/irrigation farming where they produce tomatoes, onions and other veges. But naturally, once rainy season resumes, those plants surviving by irrigation or artificial water supply begins to die off as they find it hard to continue their life under the rain.

Based on that the farmers are left with the option of going into rainy season farming instead of exhausting their energy on trying to revitalise dying crops who cannot survive rainfall due to the fact they have been used to artificial watering.
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by eodavids(m): 10:09am On Jun 09, 2017
Op hold it there.

One major reason we always have scarcity of tomatoes and other veges is because immediately after the rainy season, farmers in the North embarks on dry-season/irrigation farming where they produce tomatoes, onions and other veges. But naturally, once rainy season resumes, those plants surviving by irrigation or artificial water supply begins to die off as they find it hard to continue their life under the rain.

Based on that the farmers are left with the option of going into rainy season farming instead of exhausting their energy on trying to revitalise dying crops who cannot survive rainfall due to the fact they have been used to artificial watering.

Your post is super important still. Because it educates future farmer to take advantage of a gap that has the tendency to yield good money to whoever ventures in.
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jun 09, 2017
omolorlarh:

Hope you didn't plant the okro close to the tomato because pests attack okro plants a lot.

Jesu! I planted okra, ewedu (Jute spinach), tomatoes, pepper, tete and shokoyokoto...somehow together.

I planted ugwu, bitterleaf and scent leaf (effirin) on seperate places.

My observations -

pepper didn't grow at all. Birds are eating the tete, apart from the normal snails, locusts, grasshoppers and butterfly wahala.
I just had time to weed around the tomatoes, so I'm hoping it will start yielding but i wonder why it's taking so long. The ewedu, okro and shoko are doing fantastically well.
Small snails kinda like the okra leaves.

I read online that the okra leaves should be cut so that the okra can do much better. Will do that when I come back from my traveling.

For ewedu, u have to dip the seeds into warm water and then dry before planting
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by litaninja(m): 1:47pm On Jun 09, 2017
babablogger:

Sha learn to spell "Brace"
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by TEMINIKANSOSO(m): 3:55pm On Jun 09, 2017
Qmerit:
. The weather is not happy with the state gov. LOLz

damn it!
you are funny!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by omolorlarh: 4:03pm On Jun 09, 2017
sammydirectly:

Jesu! I planted okra, ewedu (Jute spinach), tomatoes, pepper, tete and shokoyokoto...somehow together.

I planted ugwu, bitterleaf and scent leaf (effirin) on seperate places.

My observations -

pepper didn't grow at all. Birds are eating the tete, apart from the normal snails, locusts, grasshoppers and butterfly wahala.
I just had time to weed around the tomatoes, so I'm hoping it will start yielding but i wonder why it's taking so long. The ewedu, okro and shoko are doing fantastically well.
Small snails kinda like the okra leaves.

I read online that the okra leaves should be cut so that the okra can do much better. Will do that when I come back from my traveling.

For ewedu, u have to dip the seeds into warm water and then dry before planting
Good one,well done
I don't know about cutting okro leaves though.
Not compulsory to soak the ewedu seeds into warm water before planting. infact,I have never soaked the seeds and my ewedu always comes out well.
For the tete I wonder why birds are eating it.I don't usually have issues with leafy vegetables. You can try regular weeding and watering.
I have not planted tomato and pepper personally before.
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by Christeety: 3:33pm On Jun 10, 2017
demgo:
NO

Thanks
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by opeaceo: 9:54pm On Jun 18, 2017
unitysheart:
It good for me. My wedding is in September.

haaan, see who is getting married pretty soon.....
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by Seun(m): 9:02am On Jun 19, 2017
angels09:
Herdsmen threat is discouraging farming activities.
Will fencing ones farm and/or hiring and armed maiguard work to keep them out?
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by unitysheart(m): 9:32pm On Jun 20, 2017
opeaceo:

haaan, see who is getting married pretty soon.....

Lol. How are you doing?
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by opeaceo: 12:40pm On Jun 27, 2017
unitysheart:

Lol. How are you doing?
I'm good, thanks.
Re: Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August by MeekAssassin: 6:44pm On Mar 26, 2020
AleeDee:
Tomoto, tatashe nd atarodo (not pepperish tho) re cheap in my location during rainy seasons here in d north. Mail me for a joint bizness
It's about time again... can we both look into it

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Badagry Farmers Dance While Hanging On Bamboo Stick (Photos, Video) / Green House Farming / What Is Nigeria's Biggest Agricultural Export Now?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.