Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:56 AM

Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest (74533 Views)

Ex Biafra Soldier Comforted By His Father Before Execution- Photo / "Happy To Be Home" - Nigerian Soldier With His Family After War With Boko Haram / Pension Alert: Ex-biafra Police Officers Go Wild In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by Youngadvocate(m): 8:17pm On May 20, 2017
by Patrick Egwu Ejike

Sixty-six-year-old Lawrence Akpu is sitting on a black wheelchair which makes squeaky sound at each move – a sign that it’s in a very bad shape. Hanging on the wall are black and white picture frames and calendars of Colonel Odumegwu Ojukwu, leader of the defunct state of Biafra who led his people exactly fifty years ago to a three-year full blown-bloody civil war against the Nigerian government following the massacre and genocide of about 50,000 easterners in the north after the counter-coup of 1966 by General Yakubu Gowon. One of the calendars of Ojukwu on the wall read “Historic day: Proclamation of the Republic of Biafra by the military governor, Lt Col. Odumegwu Ojukwu, 30th May, 1967”.

There is a picture of Lawrence too in his army uniform hanging on the wall. It was just 10:30am and the tick-tock of the wall clock was heard in the background. Close to Lawrence’s picture was a calendar of Jesus Christ during transfiguration with the inscription “Our father in heaven”. A 14-inch coloured TV set was standing on a side table with an antenna on top of it. The room was well illuminated as a result of the mid-morning sun that had just begun to shine. The building has not had light for the past six years since it was constructed.

He lives in darkness.

One of the pictures of Col Ojukwu in a calendar hangs on the wall

“Daddy when are you going to get up from this chair (wheelchair)?” his six-year-old grandson, Chinecherem innocently asked him.

“Very soon my dear,” he replied, giggling while adjusting his position on the wheelchair to have a balance. “That’s the question he usually asks me whenever he brings me out from my room. He is just a boy, I don’t blame him”.

“He was our hero,” he said pointing to one of the pictures of Ojukwu when he was speaking to a cross section of foreign journalists, perhaps during the declaration of Biafra on May 30, 1967. “He took us to war because of the killings and victimisation of our people. We were happy to have stood by him with our lives,” he said nodding his head at the same time.

For the past fifty-one years, Lawrence has been sitting in a wheelchair, being moved from one position to the other, all day, all year round, except when he wants to sleep or use the convenience. He said he bought the wheelchair after the one given to him by social welfare under the ministry of health in 1975 had damaged beyond repair. He has since used three different wheelchairs.

“My whole life has been in the wheelchair after the war except when I want to sleep,” he told YNaija.

The unknown bullet

Mr Lawrence, a native of Mgbagbu Owa in Ezeagu LGA of Enugu state, is one of the dozens of abandoned disabled Biafran veterans after the civil war, languishing at a small village resettlement camp in Okwe, Onuimo LGA of Imo state. He was hit by an “unknown” bullet from the back, piercing his chest during a fierce battle on April 13, 1969, in Abia state. He never stood up nor went back to the battlefield ever since. He was paralysed from the bullet injury. His spinal cord was affected.

“April 13, 1969, was terrible. The battle was intense on that day. The bullet was in my chest,” he recalls while unbuttoning his shirt to show me the scar of the bullet and how it perforated his chest. “I ran out of ammo during the assault at Uzuakoli sector in Abia state. We were only given five bullets each; I exhausted mine during the battle,” he said.

“When we ran out of ammunition, I started running with an injured soldier who was shot in the leg I was carrying. It was in the process that a bullet hit me. I didn’t see who shot the fire. I fell to the ground. I was groaning, I was in pains,” he said, remembering how he lost consciousness afterwards before his fellow soldiers came to pick him up. He only found himself at the hospital when he regained consciousness.

After the bullet from nowhere had struck him, he said his fellow soldiers helped to load him into a waiting truck to the hospital.

He never returned to the battlefield until the war ended.

Lawrence Apku doesn’t regret fighting alongside Ojukwu, his hero

Lawrence said his mother objected to his decision to join the army at that time. But he insisted he wanted to save and defend his land. He explained to her that his friends would deride him should he fail to turn up at the recruitment camp. “She was devastated when she heard about it and said over her dead body. I told her I would be a coward if I do not join, my friends would laugh at me. I needed to protect her and my siblings,” he maintained.

“When the war ended and she didn’t see me, she became sick and thought I was dead. I came back one year after the war and she became well and started jubilating,” Lawrence said while drinking from a plastic cup his son had used to fetch water for him.

Fifty years ago, Lawrence, was just sixteen years old when he joined the Biafran army as a recruit on August 19, 1967, following the declaration of the sovereign state of Biafra by Colonel Ojukwu. He joined so he could fight side by side with his comrades to hold their land, to fight for their children and the ones yet unborn. And at the end of the bloody three years civil war, more than three million people, mostly women and children, died of starvation, kwashiorkor and diseases.

“I was living in the north before I came back to the east in 1966 due to the massacre and killings of the Igbos after the coup,” he said placing his hands comfortably on his wheelchair. “They killed mercilessly at that time”.

Prior to the civil war of 1967, there were reported massacre of people from the eastern region in 1966 in the north following the counter-coup. Many survived while many died. As for Lawrence, he was lucky. “When we ran from the north and got to Gboko, Benue state, we met a blockade and they started again, killing people. We luckily escaped,” he recalls with nostalgia.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/ynaija.com/disabled-biafran-veterans-i-bullet-in-my-chest/amp/

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by BrutalJab: 8:19pm On May 20, 2017
Brave Man

197 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by decatalyst(m): 8:27pm On May 20, 2017
BrutalJab:
Brave Man

Yeah...brave man.

But what baffles me is why would a leader send his followers to the war front with only FIVE f**king bullets?

186 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by prince9851(m): 8:29pm On May 20, 2017
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by prince9851(m): 8:29pm On May 20, 2017
decatalyst:

Yeah...brave man.

But what baffles me is why would a leader send his followers to the war front with only FIVE f**king bullets?
do u know how to read?

188 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by decatalyst(m): 8:34pm On May 20, 2017
prince9851:
do u know how to read?

I guess...but I think you do not know how to comprehend.

Now...off!

147 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by Dejohnbull: 8:34pm On May 20, 2017
Great HERO!!!...... ipobexposed... now

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by decatalyst(m): 8:38pm On May 20, 2017
prince9851:
do u know how to read?

Youngadvocate:
“April 13, 1969, was terrible. The battle was intense on that day. The bullet was in my chest,” he recalls while unbuttoning his shirt to show me the scar of the bullet and how it perforated his chest. “I ran out of ammo during the assault at Uzuakoli sector in Abia state. We were only given five bullets each; I exhausted mine during the battle,” he said.

80 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by Khd95(m): 8:41pm On May 20, 2017
omo that six bullet part weak me ehn

8 Likes

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by tubolancer(m): 8:43pm On May 20, 2017
Great Man with great hope. I pray Biafra Republic become realistic during your time. Amen. Not an IPOB.

78 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by Alariwo2: 8:48pm On May 20, 2017
Good for him..

I wonder how he sleeps at night knowing fully well that they acted foolishly causing death of millions from his side.

Let's join hands to make Naija great again

45 Likes

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by Partnerbiz(f): 8:50pm On May 20, 2017
So sad
Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by KidsNEXTdoor: 8:51pm On May 20, 2017
War favors no one
We only need to accept that Nigeria is not a country but just a geographical expression
We are too diversified to chart one direction
The best is to Balkanize this British mistake

Or the masses shall continue to suffer and commit suicide in their quest to escape hardship

73 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by decatalyst(m): 8:51pm On May 20, 2017
DocHMD:

yoromuslem ewedu question. Why did you allow fulani to drink Fura de nunu with Oba Afonja's skull when he was killed and your land emiratized? grin grin

You ain't making any sense with ur gibberish undecided

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by weyabcom: 8:56pm On May 20, 2017
[quote author=decatalyst post=56717798]

You ain't making any sense with ur gibberish undecided[/quote

]https://www.nairaland.com/3808608/history-how-peacefully-fulanis-rewarded

1 Like

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by KidsNEXTdoor: 8:59pm On May 20, 2017
Alariwo2:
Good for him..

I wonder how he sleeps at night knowing fully well that they acted foolishly causing death of millions from his side.

Let's join hands to make Naija great again

You join hands with friends and like minds
And not with foes with different cultural religious differences
It leads to chaos... Underdevelopment .. Hunger.. All the indices you see in Nigeria today

Nigeria have been hell on earth
A den of injustice
An epitome of corruption
A historic mistake

The onus is on all of us to rectify this catastrophe and Balkanize this country
We have nothing in common

118 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by Nobody: 9:02pm On May 20, 2017
Ojukwu is an unsuccessful Coward!!!

Tell me 1 thing Ojukwu did as far as Nigeria is concerned. And I will tell you 10 things Awolowo did.

Tell me again that Awolowo took rat poison and I will tell you of an Ojukwu who led his people into the pit they'll never come out from in 100years to come! grin

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by gberra: 9:04pm On May 20, 2017
KidsNEXTdoor:
War favors no one
We only need to accept that Nigeria is not a country but just a geographical expression
We are too diversified to chart one direction
The best is to Balkanize this British mistake

Or the masses shall continue to suffer and commit suicide in their quest to escape hardship
The tragic account of the poor, used & dumbed bed-ridden spineless old biafran soldier has been able to drum a modicum of sense into your head. Ironically you were a part of those chest beating about a potential war.

8 Likes

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by gberra: 9:09pm On May 20, 2017
DocHMD:

yoromuslem ewedu question. Why did you allow fulani to drink Fura de nunu with Oba Afonja's skull when he was killed and your land emiratized? grin grin
We Igbo Muslims advised you leave our Afonja masters out of this & face our Osu skulls

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by BlackMbakara1(m): 9:11pm On May 20, 2017
Is just like now someone coming to deceive me to fight for our land...hian!

While he will never fire a shot or be fired. cheesy

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by KidsNEXTdoor: 9:13pm On May 20, 2017
gberra:
The tragic account of the poor, used & dumbed bed-ridden spineless old biafran soldier has been able to drum a modicum of sense into your head. Ironically you were a part of those chest beating about a potential war.
Without war there will be no peace
Everybody has a part to play

All we have to do is to go our separate ways knowing fully well we have nothing in common

Any successful and progressive country parades citizens who are patriotic
Patriotism is not forced on citizens

54 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by gberra: 9:17pm On May 20, 2017
blues2022:
By the grace of God, Biafra will come without a single shot of a bullet. Your sacrifice will never be in vain. A united Igboland will see the dawn of a new day.
What manner of useless prayers,rather a wish is this? . His manhood was killed by the bullets of war, he has no child of his own, he couldn't even straff since he was a youth.

Do you have conscience at all?. Do you have sense? Q

15 Likes

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by yorubaisevil: 9:23pm On May 20, 2017
OrestesDante:
Ojukwu is an unsuccessful Coward!!!

Tell me 1 thing Ojukwu did as far as Nigeria is concerned. And I will tell you 10 things Awolowo did.

Tell me again that Awolowo took rat poison and I will tell you of an Ojukwu who led his people into the pit they'll never come out from in 100years to come! grin
Awolowo has no one killing his people, awolowo and Ojukwu are not the same... Ojukwu fought a war and Awolowo enjoy the loot, comparing them is foolishness... Perhaps, you can compare awolowo and azikwe

63 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 20, 2017
yorubaisevil:

Awolowo has no one killing his people, awolowo and Ojukwu are not the same... Ojukwu fought a war and Awolowo enjoy the loot, comparing them is foolishness... Perhaps, you can compare awolowo and azikwe

ok....

2 Likes

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by gberra: 9:28pm On May 20, 2017
KidsNEXTdoor:

Without war there will be no peace
Everybody has a part to play

All we have to do is to go our separate ways knowing fully well we have nothing in common

Any successful and progressive country parades citizens who are patriotic
Patriotism is not forced on citizens
You're hypocritically inconsistent & incoherent. Earlier you stated that Wars favor no one only for you to recoil as saying "without war there will be no peace "
But I sincerely suggest the war path will be your best option, let's see how many more bodies we will count. I.e 6 million +counting.

9 Likes

Re: Lawrence Akpu: Ex-Biafra Soldier With Bullet In His Chest by gberra: 9:35pm On May 20, 2017
KudiratAbiola1:
[s][/s]
Nonsense trash afonjas are useless smelly bastards cone head bastards vagabonds
kiss the truth
This noble name you used as a moniker will torment you in this life & hereafter.

No Peace for Igbos cry

22 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Mohammed Abubakar, Atiku's Son Who Works In A Pure Water Company / "Abba Kyari Is Not Dead" - Femi Fani-Kayode Dismisses Rumours / Presidential Result In Lagos: Buhari Wins - Premium Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.