Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,257 members, 7,780,548 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:20 PM

Marital Status In A CV: What Is Its Significance? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Marital Status In A CV: What Is Its Significance? (1159 Views)

Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? / Differences Between A CV And A Resume / The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marital Status In A CV: What Is Its Significance? by isbish(m): 9:22am On May 21, 2017
Good Morning all. Please guys I have been wondering what the significance of Martial status in a CV is. Is it significant to bring it into your CV or is it better you ignore it? How can me being married or single affect my chances of landing that job I so much crave for? Are married applicants considered more responsible, hence employers consider them more because they have responsibilities and will tend to stay in the job longer so as to meet up with their family's financial needs or Could the employers consider more of single individuals because they may not have any sort of family distractions?

What do you think guys? Marital status: to be or not to be in a CV.

cc: Mods pls kindly assist so we can get a wider view.
Re: Marital Status In A CV: What Is Its Significance? by tosbobby(m): 9:46am On May 21, 2017
Discretion is very crutual.
Imagine a company wants to employ a staff, store keeper for instance and the pay is 50k.
A single brother would have a better chance compare to someone that is married. Reason is because a single brother is more mobile and he can still save with ease from the 50k.
A married brother may be excluded because of the responsibilities at home already together with office matter. The 50k salary might even make him to commit fraud because he needs to survive, maybe some how.
If its in a setting where married brother is given more preference, one may need to indicate married as marriage certificate is not always requested.
Discretion is crucial!

1 Like

Re: Marital Status In A CV: What Is Its Significance? by dxdiag(m): 12:33pm On May 21, 2017
Tossbobby has said it all, keep your marital status to yourself while drafting your CV or job hunting. Your status will find and reveal it self on the long run when you already get the job.

1 Like

Re: Marital Status In A CV: What Is Its Significance? by Nobody: 12:56pm On May 21, 2017
It's a very dicey one. From a female POV: It's better you leave it out totally or you take into consideration the role being applied for. A single lady would get a better shot at a sales/P.A role or a job that'll take up much personal time, and a married woman would have an upper hand in a job that requires some high level of discipline and tolerance (e.g) teaching, nanny, etc.

Over time I have noticed it rarely affects men. Women are the ones mostly affected by the whole marital status thing.

Married people (especially women) have lots of distractions.

Nigerian husbands with 'working' wives, please help out more. If you come back earlier _fix dinner! Sometimes do the kiddies night vigil while she sleeps.

1 Like

Re: Marital Status In A CV: What Is Its Significance? by Nobody: 1:25pm On May 21, 2017
Take your Marital status off your CV, it is not needed. You may be asked during an the form application or at an interview. The whole essence of sending through a CV is to highlight your skills, qualifications and experience so it can get you through to an interview. Marital status does not fit in any of those. It should not be on Cvs.

(1) (Reply)

Vacancy for a customer care officer in a reputable company / Direction To Nrc Ebute Metta / Breaking News!!! Kaduna Subeb Releases List Of Successful Applicants 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.