Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,976 members, 7,803,235 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 11:55 AM

Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? (3188 Views)

My Toyota Corolla's Brain Box Has Been Stolen! / Help With Brain Box Number / How To Know If You Have A Bad Engine Control Unit/module (Brain Box) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by 2aces(m): 6:16pm On May 21, 2017
Hello fam,
So i took my 2006 kia cerato yesterday to meet my mechanic cos i noticed it was misfiring and there wae decrease in acceleration, so i thought its just a minor spark plug issue or something related to that.
When i got to workshop, i explained my concern, and a dianosis was run and it detected a issue with cylinder 3. A technician was called and he went ahead to check the cylinder 3, only to discover that current is not beign supplied to the cylinder, he then checked for wire disconection, but all the wires were intact, next he went ahead to tap current from one of the other working cylinders and the misfiring stoped. He then said "Oga you go change your brain box" and i was like, you say wetin? that was when it dawned on me an in for a long ride.

So i have to bring my predicament here for my car gurus to help out or at least tell me my mechanic is trying to cussion his own recession pangs from my almost empty pockets, cos i learnt changing the brain box is going to cost me arround 60k.

pls eeeeeep!

Ikenna351 Where @thou
Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:24pm On May 21, 2017
He is right!
Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by 2aces(m): 6:45pm On May 21, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
He is right!
Boss, pls enlighten me more on the matta and do i have to spend that much on the brain box?
An if i change it, will it have any negative effect on the car?
Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by honmusa(m): 7:19pm On May 21, 2017
seek a second opinion .
Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:27pm On May 21, 2017
2aces:
Boss, pls enlighten me more on the matta and do i have to spend that much on the brain box?
An if i change it, will it have any negative effect on the car?

pulse for the injectors and coils come straight from the Engine Ecu, when it fails and it is clearly not the harness, replace the engine ecu.

If vehicle was a peugeot, A reset of the engine ecu will be necessary before concluding that the engine ecu was faulty, this is because to safe the engine ecu from perceived damage, the system disables pulse to injectors if an open or a short circuit is noticed. This does not apply to the kia/hyundai series.

Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by diportivo: 7:34pm On May 21, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

pulse for the injectors and coils come straight from the Engine Ecu, when it fails and it is clearly not the harness, replace the engine ecu.

If vehicle was a peugeot, A reset of the engine ecu will be necessary before concluding that the engine ecu was faulty, this is because to safe the engine ecu from perceived damage, the system disables pulse to injectors if an open or a short circuit is noticed. This does not apply to the kia/hyundai series.

when this oracle speaks,oda oracles be like...

Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by 2aces(m): 8:47pm On May 21, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Now i understand, but can the car be usable and for how long, since it stopped misfiring after current was drawn to the faulty cylinders from one of the good ones.
Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:04pm On May 21, 2017
2aces:
Now i understand, but can the car be usable and for how long, since it stopped misfiring after current was drawn to the faulty cylinders from one of the good ones.

You are Over loading chips designed for a certain amount of current.

But since ultimately you are going to replace the engine Ecu, rock it till it goes.

Don't ask me how long it has to stay grin

1 Like

Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by ivoryhouse(m): 9:44pm On May 21, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

I had a similar issue with my car, we had to replace the ecu. Gazzuzz is right
Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by 2aces(m): 6:39am On May 22, 2017
ivoryhouse:

Thanks guys, nairaland helps afterall
Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by honmusa(m): 7:46am On May 22, 2017
2aces:
I still don't understand the reason why the misfiring will go away on the particular cylinder if your technician is feeding it will another control signal meant for other cylinders and you confirm that the misfiring practically vanished,it doesnt make sense .Cos with this method , Ignition and injection will come at wrong timing and thus I don't expect any difference in performance .
Seek a second opinion ,try more knowledgeable technician to confirm this issue before swapping ECU. probably what is missing is the feed current not control signal.
Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:58am On May 22, 2017
Feed is parallel the car is a 2006 kia cerato, not a 1989 toyota, wire gauge size Will not permit it to even melt and corrosion is not an option. If it were feed, all injectors/coils would have stopped working.
Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by honmusa(m): 8:18am On May 22, 2017
how then will it explain the fact that the misfiring practically stopped after feeding it with another control signal .It doesn't add up!!Ecu will never see this as a good replacement and misfire DTC is going nowhere!!unless the OP claimed of misfiring vanishing is wrong!!
Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:18am On May 22, 2017
honmusa:
how then will it explain the fact that the misfiring practically stopped after feeding it with another control signal .It doesn't add up!!Ecu will never see this as a good replacement and misfire DTC is going nowhere!!unless the OP claimed of misfiring vanishing is wrong!!

I'm 99per sure the voltage tap was from the injector.

Since it was from the injector, the combustion chamber involved will get early or late injection of fuel(i am suspecting early) the spark will still come at the right time and that split second difference will go unnoticed. wink

Downside, the thyristor rated to power 1 fuel injector is currently doing a 3some.

1 Like

Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by 2aces(m): 10:32am On May 22, 2017
honmusa:

I still don't understand the reason why the misfiring will go away on the particular cylinder if your technician is feeding it will another control signal meant for other cylinders and you confirm that the misfiring practically vanished,it doesnt make sense .Cos with this method , Ignition and injection will come at wrong timing and thus I don't expect any difference in performance .
Seek a second opinion ,try more knowledgeable technician to confirm this issue before swapping ECU. probably what is missing is the feed current not control signal.
Ill do just that
Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by 2aces(m): 11:01am On May 22, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Since it was from the injector, the combustion chamber involved will get early or late injection of fuel(i am suspecting early) the spark will still come at the right time and that split second difference will go unnoticed. wink

Downside, the thyristor rated to power 1 fuel injector is currently doing a 3some.
I got out with the car this morning, and i noticed the acceleration is not as sharp as before the misfiring issues came up.
So am thinking your explanation about late combustion of fuel has something to do with it.

1 Like

Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:03am On May 22, 2017
2aces:
I got out with the car this morning, and i noticed the acceleration is not as sharp as before the misfiring issues came up.
So am thinking your explanation about late combustion of fuel has something to do with it.

Scanner Plus Live data will reveal all.
Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by honmusa(m): 11:44am On May 22, 2017
2aces:
Then the car is still misfiring then .If you can locate my workshop @ Gbagada before I can 5 PM today ,I can still spare few minutes to check for you !!
Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by stephcruse(m): 2:23pm On May 22, 2017
You can also do a continuity test cos am still believing there is more to that issue , don't go for change of ecu yet.stephcruse you drive,we fix it.
Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by 2aces(m): 1:58pm On May 30, 2017
stephcruse:
You can also do a continuity test cos am still believing there is more to that issue , don't go for change of ecu yet.stephcruse you drive,we fix it.
I see good reason here. Thanks
Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by Inception(m): 2:09pm On May 30, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Where are the mods when you need them grin grin
Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by 2aces(m): 11:28am On Jun 15, 2017
Inception:

Where are the mods when you need them grin grin
The mods have failed us, we will not take it grin
Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by sultaan(m): 4:00pm On Jun 15, 2017
My input is for OP to understand how things work, knowing the cylinder is one thing the other thing is to know what is not working, plug or coil.

Check primary and secondary resistance on the coil.

In the west when this happens they do complete tune up by replacing all plugs and coils first reset the ecu and start your car.

When some ecu detect misfire the cylinder is deactivated to prevent fuel dump into cats until code reset, so if cylinder is tested with code on, it won't work.

Now if you swap coils, reset code and misfire moves to the cylinder with suspected coil then you will know it is coil.

While jumping circuit is the best way to fry the ecu they could have fried you're while doing their crude testing instead of scanning
Re: Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? by pwettyhardey(f): 9:47pm On Jun 13, 2023
ivoryhouse:

Please how did you go about replacing the ECU

(1) (Reply)

Affordable Car For A Young Lady / Black Gas In My Car AC System, Please Help. / SOLD SOLD SOLD!!Honda Accord 2005 V6 For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.