Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,509 members, 7,781,561 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:03 PM

Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? (2760 Views)

The Warning Message Ikeja Electric Sent To Their Customers / Freedom Of Speech And Right To Privacy Is Our Prerogative - JMPP Youth Leader / Eko Disco Announces 5-day Power Outage In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by Dandsome: 10:27am On May 22, 2017
Sometimes, things happen and then we tend to overlook or assume they will get better. But then it get worse and worse.

There was a thread on fp last week about NERC granting powers to GENCOS to sell electricity directly to customers

https://www.nairaland.com/3809926/nerc-grants-gencos-right-sell

But from the look of things, it's not any Tom, Dick and Harry that can purchase it anyhow.

Which means we're still going back to the DISCOS for light sad

Now These DISCOS do some things that baffles me and makes one wonder if this is really right or not.

First they won't give you constant light (well, we'll say it's a Nigerian problem). Next thing is they annoyingly give you crazy bill at the end of the month.

For peace to reign, you decide to pay. Next month they repeat the same thing, and as a gentleman or good citizen you pay again. Now they repeat this every month, coming with crazy bills after giving little or no light.

Then one month you don't pay up early or even pay less than half of the bill, you'll see them coming with their pick up and ladder, then the unthinkable happens. They cut your wire (disconnect your line) and GO WITH THE WIRE shocked

Remember you have always been shortchanged. There's not always light to use to do things in the house. Even if you use a Tecno L9+ with 5000mAh battery, the battery will die after 2-3 days. Let's assume you use a Samsung or iPhone and you compliment the battery with a power bank, the power bank will still run down after some time.

Not just your phones. Are you going to use a power bank for your laptop? Will you use a powrbank for your electric iron? Will you use powrbank for your refrigerator? Will you use a 5000mAh battery for your oven? Will you use a powrbank for your AC?

I can go on and on. You can't continue using generator all the time. Some people spend almost N2000 or more weekly running generator.

Its not as if they can't pay that to the DISCOS. But then who guarantees the light?

I'm saying this because last time Ikeja Electric announced that there would be maintenance from March 6 - April 4. You'll be shocked to know that the bill for month of March was higher than February and April.

In that said period, there was little or no power supply.

When people contested it, next thing was for them to come to disconnect the customers and this time around go with the wire (not minding that the customer bought the wire with his hard earned money) . They did it in April and they have done it in May.

Read below message from NERC to customers

The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), the body empowered to meet the yearnings of Nigerians for stable, adequate and safe electricity supply, has taken the bulll by the horn by releasing to the public, the rights of every electricity consumer.

Read the rights below:

1. All new electricity connections must be done strictly on the basis of metering before connection. That is, no new customer should be connected without meter first being installed.

2. A customer who elects to procure meter under the Credited Advance Payment for Metering Implementation (CAPMI) Scheme must be metered within 60 days, after which the customer will neither be billed nor disconnected by the electricity distribution company.

3. It is the customer’s right to transparent electricity billing. Unmetered customers should be issued with electricity bills strictly based on NERC’s estimated billing methodology.

4. It is the customer’s right to be notified in writing ahead of disconnection of electricity service by the electricity distribution company serving the customer in line with NERC’s guidleines.

5. It is the customer’s right to prompt investigation of complaints arising from the customer’s electricity service disruption

6. It is not the responsibility of electricity customer or community to buy, replace or repair electricity transformers, poles and related equipment used in supply of electricity.

7. It is the customer’s right to contest any electricity bill. Any unmetered customer who is disputing his or her estimated bill has the right not to pay the disputed bill, but pay only the last undisputed bill as the contested bill go through the dispute resolution process of NERC.

8. All complaints on your electricity supply and other billing issues are to be sent to your nearest business unit of the electricity company serving your premises. If your complaint is not satisfactorily addressed, you can forward your complaint to the NERC Forum Office within the coverage area of your electricity distribution company. Customers also have the right to appeal the decision of the forum at the NERC headquarters in Abuja.

NERC ZONAL OFFICE CONTACTS:
08164201445 Joseph John southwest; 08130363581 Tony Ray Ene South South; 08062219714 Ekeh Samuel Chukwuemeka Southeast;
07061117416 Hassan GWANDU north west;
07061097132 Mohammed Umar fufore North East;
07036948408 Friday Sule North Central.

Please share this information and help us protect your rights. However,note that you have an obligation to pay your valid electric bills,avoid meter by-pass or stealing of electricity and protect power infrastructure from being vandalized.

Together,by doing our part, we can get the power sector we all desired.

Dr.Anthony Akah,mni
Ag. CEO/Chairman,NERC

Now my question is, DOES THE DISCOS HAVE THE RIGHT TO DISCONNECT A CUSTOMER'S LINE AND GO WITH THE WIRE?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by dejiWEST: 10:33am On May 22, 2017
Omoh na Naija we dey oh, these people don't respect our rights at all

1 Like

Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by Nobody: 10:37am On May 22, 2017
The thing dey pain me walahi. The light no go dey, bill go plenty and them go still come cut wire go. angry

But my joy is that I charge my devices at work. And as I sabi press phone wella, I had to get the L9+. I charge at work then enjoy my thing at home. If them like make the carry the wires throw inside ocean.

3 Likes

Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by paolokonqueror(m): 10:42am On May 22, 2017
The light situation is very bad in Nigeria tbh, these guys don't even know their work, they wanted to cut my light recently, said we had not paid reconnection fee, luckily my sister had the receipt, I made the guy feel like an incompetent fool.
Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by Dandsome: 10:46am On May 22, 2017
Iamdemola:
The thing dey pain me walahi. The light no go dey, bill go plenty and them go still come cut wire go. angry

But my joy is that I charge my devices at work. And as I sabi press phone wella, I had to get the L9+. I charge at work then enjoy my thing at home. If them like make the carry the wires throw inside ocean.

Its not about charging your phone at work. What about weekends?
Its not everyone that uses the L9+ like you.

Even if you charge your phone at work, will you iron your clothes at work too? You go carry your fridge go work to cool the things inside before coming back home?

Somethings can be annoying.

Besides you didn't even answer my question.

DO THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO GO WITH THE CUSTOMERS WIRE?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by saxby(f): 10:59am On May 22, 2017
Op dis is 9ja. Everybody does at it deems fit in his or her eyes.

2 me, I don't think they ve and f**king right to do dat.

One day bushmeat will catch the hunter.

They keep treating consumers like trash even when they defaulted by not giving lite.

4 me I don't think they ve d right.

Seun, and mynd44 might have something to add to what I said.

Lalasticlala, let's hear wat odas ve to say
Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by Nobody: 11:00am On May 22, 2017
Iamdemola:
If them like make the carry the wires throw inside ocean.
Dandsome:

Its not about charging your phone at work. What about weekends?
Its not everyone that uses the L9+ like you.

Even if you charge your phone at work, will you iron your clothes at work too? You go carry your fridge go work to cool the things inside before coming back home?

Somethings can be annoying.

Besides you didn't even answer my question.

DO THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO GO WITH THE CUSTOMERS WIRE?

My brother this place don answer the question.
Iamdemola:
If them like make the carry the wires throw inside ocean.

It is hard to claim right in Naija. So instead of me getting headache, I let them go.
Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by Grabbeast: 11:13am On May 22, 2017
Jonathan gave them all the power to do and undo.
Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by Kensense: 3:38pm On May 22, 2017
Everyone is so quick to point to the announcement of outage for one month on the 4th of March. The truth is that light was even better during that period in some of the affected areas than it as before. Because outage doesn't mean blackout rather an interruption of usual service. So you still have to pay for the light you got during the period. I also know that if you are contesting your bill you can go to IE's offices and make a case for it be reviewed.
Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by Dandsome: 4:14pm On May 22, 2017
Kensense:
Everyone is so quick to point to the announcement of outage for one month on the 4th of March. The truth is that light was even better during that period in some of the affected areas than it as before. Because outage doesn't mean blackout rather an interruption of usual service. So you still have to pay for the light you got during the period. I also know that if you are contesting your bill you can go to IE's offices and make a case for it be reviewed.

What happens in a case where you are being given estimated bill?

Even if your meter is being read and you go to report, what happens when your wire is disconnected and taken away before the dispute is resolved?

Now back to my question, IS IT IN THEIR POWERS TO DISCONNECT YOUR WIRE AND GO WITH IT?
Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by chicwoman(f): 7:42pm On May 22, 2017
No mind them.
Dem be yeye people
Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by TappGroupNG: 7:44pm On May 22, 2017
NEPA people are bloody idiats!!
Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by Tamaramientei: 7:46pm On May 22, 2017
Sigh
Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by Behankey(m): 9:38pm On May 23, 2017
Naija ehn. I tire. In a civilized world, they won't come and cut ur wire o. They will just cease supply of electricity ni. Even if u use the power bank phone , L9 Plus, u go still need light to power am. Although one won't need to charge it every time coz of it's huge battery

1 Like

Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by Agumbankembu: 9:54pm On May 23, 2017
Is this the great naijiriya?

1 Like

Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by Nobody: 9:25am On May 24, 2017
Behankey:
Naija ehn. I tire. In a civilized world, they won't come and cut ur wire o. They will just cease supply of electricity ni. Even if u use the power bank phone , L9 Plus, u go still need light to power am. Although one won't need to charge it every time.
How?
Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by sinkhole: 9:38am On May 24, 2017
According to that NERC terms of service, do those guys even have right to disconnect without notifying you in writing, talkless of carrying away your wire? I hope that one customer will just have the courage to take those thieves to court one day cry
Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by ThatIgboBoy: 10:12am On May 24, 2017
This is just the dilenma i am facing now. I live in a three bedroom flat and the light is not even all that regular. My bill is march was 7k, april was #9,120 and may was #10,000. How my bill kept shooting up from the normal 4k is what i dont understand nor explain. I decided to pay 6k in april and paid 5k this month. Came back on monday to see i have been disconnected. They said i have to pay atleast 10k. U can imagine that. If i keep paying such as just nepa bill,it is equivalent to some peoples house rent in lagos sef. I am just confused. I might have to resort to my small generator for light and fix my big generator for ironing my clothes. Am tired of PHCN nonsense
Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by SalamRushdie: 10:16am On May 25, 2017
Till I got a prepaid meter that's how they were stressing my life ..We started from 5k a month and before I knew it will had graduated to 45 k a month over light I don't see
Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by Moreoffaith(m): 10:25am On May 25, 2017
This people can frustrate light out of dummy walai.
Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by scarycuteface(m): 8:36pm On May 29, 2017
dejiWEST:
Omoh na Naija we dey oh, these people don't respect our rights at all
only the rich get rights for this country. N respect for the average citizens. Thank God say light don improve for my area. My cousin's L9 plus na just one full charge in the morning till night unlike us wey dey charge every time

1 Like

Re: Does Ikeja Electric Disco Have The Power And Right To Do This To Any Customer? by Freelancerx: 9:52pm On May 30, 2017
TappGroupNG:
NEPA people are bloody idiats!!
Haba, e no supoz pain u na. At least u have a power bank as your phone. You won't really feel the wrath of the NEPA guys. The L9+ at full charge will still serve it's purpose.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria To Loss 3 Million Christians Annually_ Theophilus Danjuma / Gov Ambode Allegedly Set To Dump APC / Relative Strength Of Apc And Pdp In North East/north West

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.