Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,156 members, 7,807,523 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:42 PM

Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary (27282 Views)

Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare 5 Wives At His 2nd Coronation Anniversary / First Ooni To Travel Out Of Ife & How Yoruba Kings Vacated Their Thrones For Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by ElsonMorali: 5:26pm On May 22, 2017
mmsen:

That is the biggest load of nonsense.

You sound like the imbeciles who claim that Africa's progress has stalled because Africans follow the wrong religion.

The problem is poorly informed people, such as yourself, who think that we must keep doing things that do not benefit the society.

If the king was a vanguard of progress and prosperity I would keep my anti-monarchist sentiment to myself, unfortunately for him I am familiar with the issues of Ile-Ife and that is why I ask what his purpose is? Why would people pledge allegiance to an office that offers zero services?

People attack the FG and the state governments in Nigeria but they do far more than this guy and the other useless monarchs.

I was hoping you'd realize your folly and keep shut, But alas! Ignorance has become the vestment you so proudly adorn.

A spring or brook that forgets it's source dries up. No doubt.

You want all the kings in Yorubaland to abdicate and abolish their thrones because according to you, they are not contributing anything to society.

I'd be surprised or shocked at this submissions But I recently realized that a lot of Nairalanders wrote this last university entrance examination. Arguing with a kid at times could be strenuous and demeaning.

So instead I'll educate you. You can thank me later.

The Ooni of Ife and all the other monarchs in our lands are the custodians of our esteemed culture, traditions, rites and religion.

These kings/monarchs are the ambassadors of our culture worldwide and the guardians of our collective heritage as Yorubas.

Our culture and tradition are very much exportable and that's why our language is a thing of pride and in high regard and in high demand outside the shores of the African continent.

You may want to check the link below for verification.

https://whatsupibadan./2013/11/16/yoruba-language-is-studied-in-47-american-varsities-says-ui-don/

Our culture, our pride.

We love and revere our kings.

What harm do they do anyway by being monarchs in their domain?

I suspect that you're from an ethnic group that maybe doesn't have such a thing to be proud of, so the next best thing is to pull others down. Grow up!

4 Likes

Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by ziga: 5:27pm On May 22, 2017
verygudbadguy:
One of the reasons why we should not abandon our heritage... The oyinbos always trip for our culture and tradition but we, the owner of tradition detest it so much.. That's why we have abandoned almost everything we possess and embrace theirs.

God help us. Beyonce recently held her baby shower and it was African themed. Meanwhile, We are here running around to buy Brazilian hair and whitenicious cream so that we can be like oyinbo.

Life truly is upside down. Oni, keep doing the Yoruba Nation and Nigeria at large proud...

I agree with you. We should promote our culture and improve it. We do NOT have to keep up with the negative aspects of our culture.

We should be proud of our things and not look to Oyinbo to accept the aspects of our culture that uplifts every African.

About the issue of Oyinbos tripping for our culture... Don't let that fool you. They pick and choose what aspects they trip for. The beautiful and fashionable things, they will do. Like our beautiful clothes, Fashion, some of our food. But the same Oyinbo man/woman who doesn't understand other aspects of our culture will be quick to put down the things we do and call us names.
Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by mmsen: 5:31pm On May 22, 2017
ElsonMorali:

I was hoping you'd realize your folly and keep shut, But alas! Ignorance has become the vestment you so proudly adorn.

A spring or brook that forgets it's source dries up. No doubt.

You want all the kings in Yorubaland to abdicate and abolish their thrones because according to you, they are not contributing anything to society.

I'd be surprised or shocked at this submissions But I recently realized that a lot of Nairalanders wrote this last university entrance examination. Arguing with a kid at times could be strenuous and demeaning.

So instead I'll educate you. You can thank me later.

The Ooni of Ife and all the other monarchs in our lands are the custodians of our esteemed culture, traditions, rites and religion.

These kings/monarchs are the ambassadors of our culture worldwide and the guardians of our collective heritage as Yorubas.

Our culture and tradition are very much exportable and that's why our language is a thing of pride and in high regard and in high demand outside the shores of the African continent.

You may want to check the link below for verification.

https://whatsupibadan./2013/11/16/yoruba-language-is-studied-in-47-american-varsities-says-ui-don/

Our culture, our pride.

We love and revere our kings.

What harm do they do anyway by being monarchs in their domain?

I suspect that you're from an ethnic group that maybe doesn't have such a thing to be proud of, so the next best thing is to pull others down. Grow up!

You haven't presented one valid argument.

People are the reason why languages and customs survive, not a monarchy.

France does not have a monarchy and yet their customs and language remain intact.

What monarchy does China? Has its culture died?

Monarchs set a bad tone for the rest of a society in that they promote inequality and class stratification, hierarchy based on birth rather than on works.

1 Like

Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by verygudbadguy(m): 5:32pm On May 22, 2017
ziga:

I agree with you. We should promote our culture and improve it. We do NOT have to keep up with the negative aspects of our culture.

We should be proud of our things and not look to Oyinbo to accept the aspects of our culture that uplifts every African.

About the issue of Oyinbos tripping for our culture... Don't let that fool you. They pick and choose what aspects they trip for. The beautiful and fashionable things, they will do. Like our beautiful clothes, Fashion, some of our food. But the same Oyinbo man/woman who doesn't understand other aspects of our culture will be quick to put down the things we do and call us names.

You are right.
Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by slurryeye2: 5:45pm On May 22, 2017
mmsen:

I did not say that all African-Americans are wealthy but they have more wealth than other black populations - they spend over $1 trillion dollars per annum.
The few ones are wealthy because they live in the wealthiest country QED. But on average many black Americans in US struggle to survive

Monarchs are often corrupt and because they are not elected by people but are rather said to be chosen by a deity it is harder to depose them.

This monarch lives better than everyone else in Ile-Ife - why?

Also, there are parts of Nigeria that do not have monarchs and have not had monarchs for centuries, that practiced a form of limited democracy. To allow people to chose their leaders has nothing to do with trying to be European. Coincidentally those are the same areas that have made the most social progress over the past century

I did not say that all African-Americans are wealthy but they have more wealth than other black populations - they spend over $1 trillion dollars per annum.
The few ones are wealthy because they live in the wealthiest country QED. But on average many black Americans in US struggle to survive

Monarchs are often corrupt and because they are not elected by people but are rather said to be chosen by a deity it is harder to depose them.

This monarch lives better than everyone else in Ile-Ife - why?

Monarchs are not corrupt, it is the system they are in that is corrupt which explain why someone like Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands will likely be less corrupt than many monarchs in Africa. And are you complaining how Ooni lives better than everyone else in Ile-Ife? Bro, you need to understand how capitalism works. You think monarchs are living better than others? wait until you know how capitalists and bureaucrats live off others sweat

Also, there are parts of Nigeria that do not have monarchs and have not had monarchs for centuries, that practiced a form of limited democracy. To allow people to chose their leaders has nothing to do with trying to be European. Coincidentally those are the same areas that have made the most social progress over the past century.
Those parts of the country that do not have monarchs have traditions and cultures, and my point all the while is keeping those cultures and traditions, identifying who we truly are and be proud of the accomplishments of our ancestors
Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by Airforce52: 6:03pm On May 22, 2017
You are a big fool for this statement ask yourself before you comment does this make sense?
mmsen:

There is no such thing as a 'humble king'. If he were truly humble he would abdicate and abolish the monarchy.

1 Like

Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by Nobody: 6:04pm On May 22, 2017
CONFAMA:

For your useless mind.

Dey no born your oba well make he trespass enter Lagos. He go hear am grin

How many benin people are natural indegenes of Lagos?

Zero.

You are ignorant. How many yorobastards are natural indegenes of lagos? As at the time the Edos and Portuguese where doing business in Lagos, Yorubas were still in far away Ile ife. All the names of towns in Lagos from ikoyi , esaleko, eti-osa, idumota, oshodi, epe, Igbosere, etc are all Edo names which became corrupted after the British invaded our territory and created the mistake called nigeria. Check Google and you will see the original names and their meaning.
Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by MikeB3(m): 6:06pm On May 22, 2017
Onirisha.......... The custodian of the Yoruba race! I don my cap for you your imperial majesty!

2 Likes

Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by mmsen: 6:08pm On May 22, 2017
slurryeye2:

Monarchs are not corrupt, it is the system they are in that is corrupt which explain why someone like Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands will likely be less corrupt than many monarchs in Africa. And are you complaining how Ooni lives better than everyone else in Ile-Ife? Bro, you need to understand how capitalism works. You think monarchs are living better than others? wait until you know how capitalists and bureaucrats live off others sweat

Those parts of the country that do not have monarchs have traditions and cultures, and my point all the while is keeping those cultures and traditions, identifying who we truly are and be proud of the accomplishments of our ancestors

Your point about African-Americans does not help your argument. Rather the fact that despite the discrimination and abuse that they face affords them access to greater wealth and living standards than the residents of Ile-Ife should cause you to question the need for monarchy.

Willem Alexander has no power and limited access to public resources, he doesn't have as much opportunity to be corrupt. But other monarchs have been and are. The Saudi monarchy are notoriously crooked. Likewise their counterpart in Bahrain.

Capitalists at least have to find sources of income to fund their projects - monarchs do nothing. Does Ile-Ife even have 24 hour electricity? And if not why not? Why is Dangote doing more to eradicate the problem of power scarcity than all of the monarchs in Nigeria?

Our ancestors are not gods, they did some good and they did some silly things - such as hiding behind superstition and religion to explain the world, selling their neighbors into slavery, engaging childish witch hunts of those who tried to do things differently. We should learn from the good as well as their errors to be better instead of foolishly mimicking their behavior. We have access to more information than they did and should use it to progress.
Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by afamaustin(m): 6:14pm On May 22, 2017
Oba WHR ar u
Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by MENELIK1: 6:24pm On May 22, 2017
Xda59:

Your ooni cannot be compared to our Great Oba of Benin in any way. Your ooni got married to a tokumbo which is a disgrace and an abomination to the throne. Kings marry brand new virgins and not left over from an arab boy and some turaki. Yorobastards and perverted tradition are like 5 and 6.

I 'll implore you to stop comparing Benin with Yoruba land again. They are not comparable, Benin at its peak was a kingdom, Yoruba land developed to an empire (check history) When next you want to discuss benin and Yoruba land always restrict your self to sectional Yoruba that were kingdoms like benin before the coming of the whites. For instance Ijebu, Egba, Ijesha, Ife or Ibadan. Man pass man no be matter of noise.

2 Likes

Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by MENELIK1: 6:29pm On May 22, 2017
[quote author=Xda59 post=56771437][/quote]

You are correct the way the whole of Benin belong to Alaafin of Oyo, the descendant of Oranmiyan the founder of Benin, history is sweet.

1 Like

Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by ElsonMorali: 6:45pm On May 22, 2017
mmsen:

You haven't presented one valid argument.

People are the reason why languages and customs survive, not a monarchy.

France does not have a monarchy and yet their customs and language remain intact.

What monarchy does China? Has its culture died?

Monarchs set a bad tone for the rest of a society in that they promote inequality and class stratification, hierarchy based on birth rather than on works.

Wow!

Come closer dear.

Monarchs are part of our culture and tradition.
Do you want me to repeat that?

Kings aren't just kings. They are a very valid part of Yoruba culture.

Whatever obtains in France applies to the French not to me as a Yoruba chap. And not everything the white man does must be copied by us. Get that?
Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by blazer234: 7:01pm On May 22, 2017
mmsen:

There is no such thing as a 'humble king'. If he were truly humble he would abdicate and abolish the monarchy.

Can anyone with useful brain make this kind if statement? I doubt it.

1 Like

Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by mmsen: 7:02pm On May 22, 2017
ElsonMorali:

Wow!

Come closer dear.

Monarchs are part of our culture and tradition.
Do you want me to repeat that?

Kings aren't just kings. They are a very valid part of Yoruba culture.

Whatever obtains in France applies to the French not to me as a Yoruba chap. And not everything the white man does must be copied by us. Get that?

Every society had kings of some sort at one stage or another.

Just because it was done previously does not mean that we must continue with the practice, especially when there is no evidence of it having a positive effect on the society.

Is Ile-Ife safer than parts of the country that have no monarch? Is it more prosperous? Is it cleaner? Is there more industry?

The answer to all the above is no.
Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by CONFAMA: 7:03pm On May 22, 2017
Xda59:

You are ignorant. How many yorobastards are natural indegenes of lagos? As at the time the Edos and Portuguese where doing business in Lagos, Yorubas were still in far away Ile ife. All the names of towns in Lagos from ikoyi , esaleko, eti-osa, idumota, oshodi, epe, Igbosere, etc are all Edo names which became corrupted after the British invaded our territory and created the mistake called nigeria. Check Google and you will see the original names and their meaning.

Just pray that Nigeria breaks up ASAP, so that your useless king that cannot hurt a fly can come and claim Lagos ASAP.

I can't wait for that day... grin

1 Like

Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by Nobody: 7:07pm On May 22, 2017
MENELIK1:

I 'll implore you to stop comparing Benin with Yoruba land again. They are not comparable, Benin at its peak was a kingdom, Yoruba land developed to an empire (check history) When next you want to discuss benin and Yoruba land always restrict your self to sectional Yoruba that were kingdoms like benin before the coming of the whites. For instance Ijebu, Egba, Ijesha, Ife or Ibadan. Man pass man no be matter of noise.

Benin was an empire stretching across the whole of west africa.
Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by GuyfawkesAB(m): 7:08pm On May 22, 2017
Continue masturbating on the 'sexy' historical poster of Benin Kingdom. The world has moved on. It's now a global village. People all over are embracing development amd forming partnerships for growth as reflected by the Ooni. This invitation is a clear indication of such progress.

Your oba can continue staying in the palace while u his subjects continue deluding yourselves on some past glories.

Shey Oba get mouth for Lagos? Or can he lay claim to any part? Keep living in the past

Xda59:

Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by ElsonMorali: 7:09pm On May 22, 2017
mmsen:

Every society had kings of some sort at one stage or another.

Just because it was done previously does not mean that we must continue with the practice, especially when there is no evidence of it having a positive effect on the society.

Is Ile-Ife safer than parts of the country that have no monarch? Is it more prosperous? Is it cleaner? Is there more industry?

The answer to all the above is no.

Have you heard of the queen of England? No?
Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by MENELIK1: 7:10pm On May 22, 2017
CONFAMA:

Just pray that Nigeria breaks up ASAP, so that your useless king that cannot hurt a fly can come and claim Lagos ASAP.

I can't wait for that day... grin

Claim Lagos? by then we will be claiming the land established by Oranmiyan called Ile Ibinu corrupted to Benin by a section of his children.

2 Likes

Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by GuyfawkesAB(m): 7:10pm On May 22, 2017
Dullard.

Benin Kingdom no reach Ibadan sef. West Africa gini?

Hope you didn't write this rubbish in your just concluded WAEC?

Xda59:

1 Like

Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by adeboizy11(m): 7:13pm On May 22, 2017
I saw the baale of lagoon in court today ooo.
Dey were even calling him kabiyesi and the arogant and senseless mumu was calling himself "alayeluwa"
Then I asked myself, if you're the real alayeluwa, why re u in court docked for dat matter. He'll soon be deposed.

fratermathy:
Where is Oba of Lagos? Oor-oor-yin!

Honour is given to whom honour is due. Congrats to one of Nigeria's most humble monarch.

1 Like

Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by MENELIK1: 7:13pm On May 22, 2017
Xda59:

Which west Africa? Your king will start paying for using the title "OBA" soonest
Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by ajl: 7:16pm On May 22, 2017
Arsenalholic1:
I just love this country.

It has got to be the most nonpartisan first world country I've seen.

As students we used to celebrate our various cultures (Africans, Asians etc) like we were home and everyone used to participate.

Only the biting cold is a concern.

If I stop being a Nigerian, though, Canada is where I want to nationalize tongue

Canadians are the best. Lived it and experienced it as a grad students and later in the larger community. They make effort to provide a sense of belonging to everyone. The same can't be said of the USA.
Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by Nobody: 7:17pm On May 22, 2017
MENELIK1:

You are correct the way the whole of Benin belong to Alaafin of Oyo, the descendant of Oranmiyan the founder of Benin, history is sweet.

Ignorance or dEli berate twsiting of history. Oramiyan was the last son of oduduwa, a Bini prince and the first ooni of ife.
Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by MENELIK1: 7:24pm On May 22, 2017
Xda59:

Ignorance or dEli berate twsiting of history. Oramiyan was the last son of oduduwa, a Bini prince and the first ooni of ife.

Oduduwa a benin prince? Your fore fathers knew better, Oranmiyan the last born of a benin prince who later established benin. Haba! Moreover, have you seen a Yoruba man bearing edo name before? but edos bear Yoruba names right, that is where history gave you upper cut like Anthony Joshua. I said history is sweet.

1 Like

Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by IsaacChukwuemek: 7:26pm On May 22, 2017
Xda59:

You are ignorant and reason your tiny Bini is irrelevant in Nigeria. How can Epe, Ikoyi e.t.c be Edo names? Are you maaaad? Even your Oba dare not say such nonsense, you kids of nowadays need to stop disgracing your family online. Pathetic

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by Nobody: 7:27pm On May 22, 2017
MENELIK1:

Which west Africa? Your king will start paying for using the title "OBA" soonest

The Oba title originated from the Edos in case you don't know. The first most telling revelation about Oduduwa's ancestry is from Oduduwa himself a Bini prince and first king of ile ife. He, in his lifetime, reserved a special seat in his Ife palace for his ancestors. The seat remains reserved until this day for the Bini monarch only. No one else, not even the reigning Ooni, or Oronmiyan (Alaafin) in Oyo, or any of the Obalades of Yorubaland can sit on the seat. So, if Bini is not the wellspring of Ife, why is it that no member of the Alaafin, or Ife Ooni dynasties (or siblings), can use the seat?

Besides, the most sacred name for Ife is Uhe a (non-Yoruba), deep and strong Bini word, meaning virgin or vagina depending on how it is pronounced, and is interpreted in myth as innocence, the birth canal, or the source of life. Also, no major Ifa ritual or ceremony in Ife even now is considered authentic, blessed by or acceptable to the gods and ancestors, without the presence and involvement of relevant Bini traditional faith custodians. The dress culture of Ife chiefs and priests is from Bini court.
Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by CONFAMA: 7:28pm On May 22, 2017
MENELIK1:

Claim Lagos? by then we will be claiming the land established by Oranmiyan called Ile Ibinu corrupted to Benin by a section of his children.

No wonder they are always mad and angry. Na real ile ibinu.

No beta thing fit commot that place except prostitution and cultism

grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by Nobody: 7:29pm On May 22, 2017
MENELIK1:

Oduduwa a benin prince? Your fore fathers knew better, Oranmiyan the last born of a benin prince who later established benin. Haba! Moreover, have you seen a Yoruba man bearing edo name before? but edos bear Yoruba names right, that is where history gave you upper cut like Anthony Joshua. I said history is sweet.

The first most telling revelation about Oduduwa's ancestry is from Oduduwa himself a Bini prince and first king of ile ife. He, in his lifetime, reserved a special seat in his Ife palace for his ancestors. The seat remains reserved until this day for the Bini monarch only. No one else, not even the reigning Ooni, or Oronmiyan (Alaafin) in Oyo, or any of the Obalades of Yorubaland can sit on the seat. So, if Bini is not the wellspring of Ife, why is it that no member of the Alaafin, or Ife Ooni dynasties (or siblings), can use the seat?

Besides, the most sacred name for Ife is Uhe a (non-Yoruba), deep and strong Bini word, meaning virgin or vagina depending on how it is pronounced, and is interpreted in myth as innocence, the birth canal, or the source of life. Also, no major Ifa ritual or ceremony in Ife even now is considered authentic, blessed by or acceptable to the gods and ancestors, without the presence and involvement of relevant Bini traditional faith custodians. The dress culture of Ife chiefs and priests is from Bini court.
Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by zanogo(m): 7:33pm On May 22, 2017
Xda59:

In case you don't know, the Oba of Benin remains the most feared and respected monarch in the whole of Africa. The ooni does not come close to the Oba in any way because the Oba is not a common figure who attend common parties and visit politicians in their houses to beg for handouts. And in case you don't know, no politician lobbies or installs the Great Oba of Benin like the other cash 'n' carry monarchs
your oba is not feared in nigeria,you are talking of africa,i dont know why people like to hype what is not,go to tanzania or burundi and tell them you are oba of benin,the questions you will be asked includes
what is oba?
what is benin?

1 Like

Re: Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary by CONFAMA: 7:34pm On May 22, 2017
MENELIK1:

Exactly, edo people bear yoruba names...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? / Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State / Olubadan-In-Council Declares Eze Ndigbo Illegal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.