Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:15 PM

Search Engine Marketing (seo) - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Search Engine Marketing (seo) (996 Views)

Hwebs Concept - Website Design In Nigeria | Social Media Marketing | SEO / Difference Between Internet Marketing, SEO, SEM, SMO.. / Building A Search Engine Like Google (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Search Engine Marketing (seo) by kokorunna(m): 4:12pm On Jan 14, 2010
Alot of people talk about SEO, what it means and how one can implement it into your website.

Can with start a discussion thread on this topic and everyone can make a comment on it
Re: Search Engine Marketing (seo) by yawatide(f): 6:58pm On Jan 14, 2010
Re: Search Engine Marketing (seo) by yawatide(f): 7:50pm On Jan 14, 2010
Update:

It appears the bot has "eaten" the thread that I started on this topic. As I have said, over and over again, this bot is deleting genuine posts. Oh well, tis nairaland's loss, not mine. You can also rest assured that I will probably NEVER be an original poster AGAIN angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Search Engine Marketing (seo) by kokorunna(m): 10:42am On Jan 15, 2010
@yawa-ti-de

Why is nairaland deleting good post such as this, it will good if something can be started on SEO
Re: Search Engine Marketing (seo) by yawatide(f): 11:15am On Jan 15, 2010
you may want to ask seun that.

Ok, here goes it again, albeit abridged (still fuming):

(S)earch (E)ngine (M)arketing, in lay man's terms is all the "stuff" you do to your site that enables it to rank highly on search engines. It comprises (S)earch (E)ngine (O)ptimization and (P)ay-(P)er (C)lick.

SEO is the "free" or "natural" version and refers to all you do on your site as a developer (meta tags, code structure, page weight, content, etc) to ensure high rankings (left hand side of the page).

As the name implies PPC is where you pay a search engine, having bought (after bidding) some keywords to ensure that your site shows up, per a search engine's algorithm, at a guaranteed spot on the search results page (in google, it's the top (yellow) portion and the right hand side).

I will stop here in case the post gets canned again and to allow others to chime in and to ensure full assimilation before I continue. I prefer taking baby steps in my teachings. No need to be the proverbial dog returning to their vomit cheesy
Re: Search Engine Marketing (seo) by kokorunna(m): 3:06pm On Jan 15, 2010
@yawa-ti-de

Thanks for starting it off, probably others will contribute to it
Re: Search Engine Marketing (seo) by yawatide(f): 4:12pm On Jan 15, 2010
I will assume you don't have a budget for PPC (if you do, my apologies. Keep me honest so that I can fine tune my posts accordingly) and so concentrate from now on, on SEO.

Factors that help your pages rank high (among others), via SEO:
1) Your html validates. You are also following web standards (you can wiki for that one)

2) Your page don't take a while to download

3) Content on your site has keywords specific to your site "peppered" throughout

4) Your URL is well-named (for example, "lagosstate.com" more accurately describes what the site is about, compared to, "isaleeko.com"

5) Each page has a page title (both TITLE tag and actual page title)

6) You register your site with google analytics and google webmasters

Is this making sense thus far?
Re: Search Engine Marketing (seo) by fan123: 12:51pm On Jan 06, 2014
kokorunna: Alot of people talk about SEO, what it means and how one can implement it into your website.

Can with start a discussion thread on this topic and everyone can make a comment on it

To know about SEO you need to know about the pagerank and it's importance.PageRank measure's a web page's importance.Search engines like Google fixes a rank for each website based on the keywords in domain name, content,design of website,TLD,Domain age, number of visitors,loading capacity etc.The Internet's users go to a search engine before reaching a web site.When someone types a product into a search engine, and if our web site is listed at the top of these results,they may visit our site and chances are there that they may become our customer.So to attain a good pagerank will be the aim for all websites/blogs.PageRank ranges from 0 to 10.The more you rank in search engines the more beneficial for you.
Now,there are many techniques to improve the pagerank like good quality in the site/blog, regular updates,interlinking posts,Good website design & uptime,social media,affiliate marketing etc and SEO is one such technique.It uses various techniques like usage of suggested keywords,sitemap creation,submission to search engines etc.Through such legal process one can gain the desired web presence.
The factors that Google considers are keywords in URL, Title, Text, Domain age,Number of visitors etc.It keeps updating the factors for page ranking. The companies that provide SEO also should update accordingly.If we get services from such a concerned company then we can definitely make SEO to be effective.I have used the SEV(Search Engine Visibility) from Tucktail.com as they provide keyword and suggested topics,submit the site to over 100 search engines and also provide reports which eventually improved my website traffic.
Re: Search Engine Marketing (seo) by jaybossYBNL(m): 6:40am On Jan 07, 2014
Search engine optimization(SEO) is the process of affecting the visibility of a website or a web page in a search engine's "natural" or un-paid (" organic"wink search results. In general, the earlier (or higher ranked on the search results page), and more frequently a site appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine's users. SEO may target different kinds of search, including image search, local search, video search, academic search, news search and industry-specific vertical search engines.
As an Internet marketing strategy, SEO considers how search engines work, what people search for, the actual search terms or keywords typed into search engines and which search engines are preferred by their targeted audience. Optimizing a website may involve editing its content, HTML and associated coding to both increase its relevance to specific keywords and to remove barriers to the indexing activities of search engines. Promoting a site to increase the number of backlinks, or inbound links, is another SEO tactic.
The plural of the abbreviation SEO can also refer to "search engine optimizers", those who provide SEO services.

More here: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Create A Password Script Or Get It From The Internet Free ? / Seun Osewa Could Be 9ja's Zuckerberg: / Can Someone Teach Me Jsp In 7days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.