Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,189 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:22 AM

BBC News: Manchester Arena Blast 19 Dead And About 50 Hurt ( Pictures) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / BBC News: Manchester Arena Blast 19 Dead And About 50 Hurt ( Pictures) (861 Views)

4Sale And Haraj Apps Used By Arabs To Buy African Slaves Uncovered By BBC / Soldier, Sola Michael Akingbesote Dead And Buried (Photos) / Soldier Maltreats Civilian Near Nigeria Army Shopping Arena,oshodi, Lagos (photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

BBC News: Manchester Arena Blast 19 Dead And About 50 Hurt ( Pictures) by free2ryhme: 2:20am On May 23, 2017
Nineteen people have been killed and about 50 injured in a suspected terror attack at Manchester Arena.

Police were called to reports of an explosion at the venue at about 22:35 BST on Monday following a pop concert by the US singer Ariana Grande.

The cause of the blast is unknown but North West Counter Terrorism Unit is treating it as a possible terrorist incident.

Greater Manchester Police is working to set up a contact number for relatives.

Emma Johnson said she and her husband were at the arena to pick up their daughters, aged 15 and 17.

"It was definitely a bomb. It was definitely in the foyer," she told BBC Radio Manchester.

"We were stood at the top of the stairs and the glass exploded - it was near to where they were selling the merchandise.

"The whole building shook. There was a blast and then a flash of fire afterwards. There were bodies everywhere."

BBC Home Affairs Correspondent Daniel Sandford said senior counter-terrorism officers were assembling in London and liaising with the Home Office.

Unconfirmed reports from two unnamed US officials suggested the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber.

British Transport Police say the explosion was in the foyer area of Manchester Arena.

The BBC's Tim Ashburner, who is at the scene, spoke to some volunteer paramedics who treated the injured for "shrapnel-like injuries".

Shortly after the blast Manchester Victoria station, which is close to the concert venue, was closed and all trains cancelled.

Greater Manchester Police carried out a precautionary controlled explosion in the Cathedral Garden area of the city at about 01:32. The force confirmed it was not a suspicious item.

'Screaming and running'

A number of eyewitnesses have described the confusion in the aftermath.

Andy Holey, who had gone to the arena to pick up his wife and daughter who had been at the concert, said: "As I was waiting, an explosion went off and it threw me about 30ft from one set of doors to the other set of doors.

"When I got up I saw bodies lying on the ground. My first thought was to go into the arena to try to find my family.

"When I couldn't find them, I went outside with the police and fire and looked through some of the bodies to try and find my wife and daughter.

"I managed to find them eventually and they're OK.

"It was definitely an explosion and it was some force. It happened near the box office at the entrance to the Arena."

The police activity around the arena has been huge. There are blue flashing lights and cordons seemingly on almost every street corner.

A wide area around the venue itself has been completely taped off, and the crime scene appears to be widening, with police pushing people further and further back.

I've spoken to people who are shaken, scared and often tearful. One thing that's apparent is there are many, many young people, some of them with parents or guardians. One mother told me her priority was simply to get her daughters home.

Other people have been more candid and have described seeing people covered in blood, or being treated by paramedics. There's still a huge sense of confusion and people are constantly searching for information while letting their families know they're safe.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-40007886
Re: BBC News: Manchester Arena Blast 19 Dead And About 50 Hurt ( Pictures) by free2ryhme: 2:20am On May 23, 2017
angry
Re: BBC News: Manchester Arena Blast 19 Dead And About 50 Hurt ( Pictures) by Ever8054: 2:29am On May 23, 2017
R.I.P..to the dead and quick recovery to the injored..... hope no man united player was affected?.. cause we have Ajax to play tomorrow... meanwhile, religion of peace make Una take...
Re: BBC News: Manchester Arena Blast 19 Dead And About 50 Hurt ( Pictures) by Rtopzy(f): 2:44am On May 23, 2017

Re: BBC News: Manchester Arena Blast 19 Dead And About 50 Hurt ( Pictures) by Temidayo9(m): 2:45am On May 23, 2017
So serious. RIP

Re: BBC News: Manchester Arena Blast 19 Dead And About 50 Hurt ( Pictures) by eddyline(m): 2:54am On May 23, 2017
WOW. my heart goes out to the families who lost loved ones. May God console them and grant them solace
Re: BBC News: Manchester Arena Blast 19 Dead And About 50 Hurt ( Pictures) by chadwidfriz: 2:55am On May 23, 2017
just as my Ariana granade is now performing

my boko boys are just every where

explosion + human trampling + heart attacks + smoke choking + suffocation + bad day for asthmatic patients

wish all quick recovery

say no to terrorism

God bless Nigeria
God bless America
Re: BBC News: Manchester Arena Blast 19 Dead And About 50 Hurt ( Pictures) by Hiteerich: 3:01am On May 23, 2017
May their soul R.I.P
Re: BBC News: Manchester Arena Blast 19 Dead And About 50 Hurt ( Pictures) by VickyRotex(f): 3:59am On May 23, 2017
This is terrible!

May their souls find eternal rest and May the Lord comfort and sustain the living.
Re: BBC News: Manchester Arena Blast 19 Dead And About 50 Hurt ( Pictures) by Mynd44: 5:27am On May 23, 2017

(1)

Photos Of The Container-load Of Arms Intercepted By Customs At Lagos Port / Kenyan Woman Sentenced To Death After She Was Caught With Drugs In Her Vagina / This Lady Was Shot Dead By Her Boyfriend In South Africa (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.