Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,716 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:21 PM

Where Is Na'ima? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Where Is Na'ima? (391 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Where Is Na'ima? by bajeen(m): 9:50am On May 23, 2017
In this short piece culled from Facebook, Professor Adamu Kyuka Usman relates a story of one of his female students by name Na'ima. More than 10 years after her graduation, Prof Usman tells this inspirational anecdote which portrays how honest exceptional Nigerians are. Let me not bore with the background information. Please enjoy the story, and share if you find it interesting.

"Na’ima was my student at Ahmadu Bello University Zaria. She did not write my paper on Equity and Trust. By error, a B score was posted for her. When result of the paper was released, she came to me saying the result was not hers; that she did not sit for the paper because she was sick. Though I was shocked by the error of posting a score for a student that did not write the paper, I was more shocked by her integrity. I verified the error and rebuked myself for it. I then turned to her honesty. In all my years of teaching in the university, I had never come across this breed of honesty that borders on the strange and the bizarre. Instead what I had come cross time and time again is one criminal behavior by students after the other. There was, for instance, this student in Business Administration who did not write my test on company law. When the test scripts were distributed, she came to me to ask for her result. I went through the score sheet and couldn’t see either her name or her score. I asked her if she wrote the test. She said she did. I asked her to show me her script. She said she was not with it, but would bring it. I said fine. A day after, she came with a script with a 27% over 40 score on it. One look at the script told me I didn’t mark it. I marked at a particular edge and the marks on her script where not on that edge. I told her the marking was not mine. The straight away manner I disclaimed authorship of the marking made her confessed she wrote and marked her script. I handed her over to my Head of Department and to the Head of Department of Business School. Now here was a student before me who had the rare fortune of a 2.1 score posted for her in an examination she did not write telling me the score was not hers. I was touched beyond measure. Should I take the score from her or should I allow it pass? Equity and Trust is a core course. She needed to pass it to be awarded a law degree. Well, to every rule there should be an exception. Shouldn’t this exceptional case of shocking honesty generate an exception, particularly in an equity and trust course? I argued in the council of my mind. She might not have written equity and trust and passed academically, but she had written equity and trust and passed morally and character wise. This moral and character equity and trust I personally found more important. But all my personal sentiments and bias on the matter may not cut meat with the university. Having no assurance the university would see things the way I saw them, I decided to play safe by doing what was within my control. I organized a special exams for Na’ima. By her score in the special exams, she proved possessed of intellect as character. Since then I have always marveled at her honesty. She had the Gages ring but did not steal. This honesty is rare. It is over a decade now since I last saw or heard from Na’ima. Please those who know where Na’ima is should tell her her former teacher confronted by anomie is asking after her for her peerless integrity."

Culled From Kyuka Lilymjok's Facebook page
Kyuka is Senior Special Assistant to the President on Legal Matters, Research and Documentation.
Re: Where Is Na'ima? by bajeen(m): 9:58am On May 23, 2017
Na'ima, overwhelmed by the sheer show of love from, specially thanked her parents, lecturer, husband

Re: Where Is Na'ima? by bajeen(m): 10:00am On May 23, 2017
Her proud husband had this to say also.

(1) (Reply)

2017 Ptdf Exam Update And Past Questions & Answers / X / Your Advice Is All I Need

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.