Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,420 members, 7,781,228 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:55 AM

Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? (5673 Views)

Poll: Do They?

Yes: 80% (36 votes)
No: 20% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

5 Nigerian Artists Who Take Lyrics For Granted / Top Five Hit Songs Not Written By Artistes Who Sang Them / Which Nigerian Artists Will One Day Bring Grammy Award To Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by songman: 7:41pm On Jan 14, 2010
hi guys, ladies,

i believe the music here can improve if artists try and get some music education!

what do you think.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by baybbootz(f): 8:20pm On Jan 14, 2010
yep i totaly agreee

but its one fing 2 spot a problem,bt another 2 sugest solutions
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by THEAMAKA(f): 12:14pm On Jan 15, 2010
YES, I TOTALLY AGREE!! 60%OF NAIJA MUSIC SUCKS!! really. the songs make no sense, they sing/rap about the same thing, most of their videos are tired dry repeated club scene videos.
they are only a selected few that i like.
they really need to work on their song writing skills, then i think the rest will go from there.
and more creative directors need to emerge. all these same dry tired videos. if its not in the club, the person is standing in front of a green screen and they make special effects in the backround. lol
more videos need a story, thats it. and the story needs to come from the song.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by DaBlaze: 12:16pm On Jan 15, 2010
songman:

hi guys, ladies,

i believe the music here can improve if artists try and get some music education!

what do you think.

Music is now being treated as a business in Nigeria. It's not about songwriting or making a classic record, it's about making a record quick and making as much money as possible. There are a few good artists out there releasing really good material, but they are very few.
The truth is, most of the people in the business can't even sing talk less of write a good song. Autotune has now become a blessing, but also a bad curse at the same time.
Take it away and most peoples careers will be over
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by greatprice(f): 12:21pm On Jan 15, 2010
Most of them are not really musicians. Having a nice voice is not the same thing as being a musician. It takes a lot of training and practice. Most of them are in it for the immediate money that never last.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by THEAMAKA(f): 12:26pm On Jan 15, 2010
DaBlaze:

The truth is, most of the people in the business can't even sing talk less of write a good song. Autotune has now become a blessing, but also a bad curse at the same time.
Take it away and most peoples careers will be over
GBAM!!! Flavor Flav is my prime example. looool
but a lot of people are so talentless nowadays, its ridiculous.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jan 15, 2010
Yes, yes and yes, your typical Nigerian lyric is more often than not just a few slants below the standards of a nursery rhyme, and not even the kinds for toddlers, more of the newborn/infant range. Then there's the uncontrollable need to scream 'chei' or 'ehh' every few minutes in between, it's either they're spazzing out or they couldn't think any line to place there.

One of the reasons I don't particularly look forward to new Nigerian tracks, one of the worst offenders is Timaya.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few good ones out there, just that the space between the group few good ones and the group army of potties does slightly leave room for concern.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by asha80(m): 12:32pm On Jan 15, 2010
Funnily it is the poorly written ones that get recognition in the country eg terry g's songs,timaya's songs,Ofokasibe,etc
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jan 15, 2010
As long as it's a dance track, it's bound to appear as the best thing since slice bread.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by otukpo(f): 12:36pm On Jan 15, 2010
Yes.
fokasibe
dem mama
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by DaBlaze: 12:37pm On Jan 15, 2010
asha 80:

Funnily it is the poorly written ones that get recognition in the country eg terry g's songs,timaya's songs,Ofokasibe,etc

Music is the opium of the masses and in a country with the level of suffering as Nigeria the dumber it is, probably the better. Don't think, just chineke me, moet, champagne, unu ga ebgu madu le, swagga, etc the list is endless.
If the song actually has good lyrics and a good melody, nobody will want to buy it.

Or if your a rapper, you need a fake american accent as standard. It's ridiculous
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by asha80(m): 12:49pm On Jan 15, 2010
the number of naija tracks that had the word 'Swagga' as one of the words in the title of the song last year was alarming.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jan 15, 2010
asha 80:

the number of naija tracks that had the word 'Swagga' as one of the words in the title of the song last year was alarming.
Lol I felt like shaving my head, way too much cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by Smi1(m): 12:55pm On Jan 15, 2010
IN MY OWN OPINION NIGERIA MUSIC STILL STANDS AS NUMBER 1 IN THE WHOLE OF AFRICA SO I THINK THE GUYS ARE DOING A GREAT WORK PERHAPS SOME MIGHT NOT HAVE SOUNDS EDUCATION CONCERNING MUSIC , BUT I GUESS THEY WILL UPGRADE WITH TIME

SORRY ONCE MORE FOR THE CAPS
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by youngmonie: 12:56pm On Jan 15, 2010
Even tho i agreeee with the subject, buh please we gats to respect 2face idibiaaa, not only can he sing, his lyrics r tyte nd dey make sense

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by bukyniyi: 1:11pm On Jan 15, 2010
most of dem r frm mushin wat do u expect,al dey no is igbo & makin niose dat doznt impact anytin 2 humanity.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by na2day(m): 1:42pm On Jan 15, 2010
The problem i think, is the JACK OF ALL TRADE SYNDROME, the musician is the lyricist, the producer, d music video shooter come director, d promoter, the vendor and the person goin from radio station to radio station bribing and prostratin for d.js to give his song an airplay. After goin through all these stress how do u expect much from the music? smiley
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by 4peace(m): 1:47pm On Jan 15, 2010
education is the problem
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by v24m(f): 1:53pm On Jan 15, 2010
See them talking DARE that writes good music and knows a lot about song writing how many of us appreciate his work. We prefer to listen to Terry G and his likes. Nigerians love songs that they cant decipher the meaning. I went for rhythm unplugged the other day and Dare was performing and people were sleeping embarassed embarassed. when Dj ofokasibe came on stage everyone came alive meanwhile lyrically the song if it were  human would be put in the category of illiterates, so please lets forget the music education becos people like you no go buy their CD when it comes out.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by DoubleN(m): 2:16pm On Jan 15, 2010
To me i feel it is the market that has an influence on them.We all know that 'nonsense' sells in Nigeria.Our dear D'banj even made mention of it on his track 'The Entertainer' when he said you don't even have to make sense!So instead of writing songs rich in lyrical content,all they try to do is to come up with the next catchy word like 'the koko', 'let's go there', etc
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by mrofficial(m): 2:18pm On Jan 15, 2010
If the beat is ok, forget about the lyrics. Thats naija for you. That's why we still see those that should be in super-market as singers/musicians.

Another thing, we need good earpiece in our life so we can get the real sounds. I'm tired of NEC earpiece! Does not bring out the real sounds.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by beneezy(m): 3:16pm On Jan 15, 2010
I understand music is business. School is business too but what they impact is knowledge. Music should show a good deal of creativity because by classification it is art. Painting picture with words (literature - wordplay, metaphor and punchlines) and presenting it to the audience with listenable tune on an accepted instrument
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by Dammyray(m): 3:36pm On Jan 15, 2010
Maybe Nigerians cause it 4 example

v24m:

See them talking DARE that writes good music and knows a lot about song writing how many of us appreciate his work. We prefer to listen to Terry G and his likes. Nigerians love songs that they cant decipher the meaning. I went for rhythm unplugged the other day and Dare was performing and people were sleeping embarassed embarassed. when Dj ofokasibe came on stage everyone came alive meanwhile lyrically the song if it were  human would be put in the category of illiterates, so please lets forget the music education becos people like you no go buy their CD when it comes out.

Sey next tym if Darey fit compose Bosikonga sey him no go do am?, just to make wuruwuru people dance
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by ilosiwaju: 3:48pm On Jan 15, 2010
what do you expect? they give us what we want. if people like timaya are making mad sales with chineke me, if there are no buyers, there wont be sellers.
they are good biz men though, they give the people wot they want.

we still have good ones sha, sound sultan etc.
grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by beknown(m): 3:58pm On Jan 15, 2010
I totally agree with you, Poster.

The lyrics from some Nigerian music are very disorderly. Some of the music just turn commonsense into nonsense.

It should not be about quick market.

A little bit more effort will bring better delivery on our player.

The musicians know themselves, especially those who need better education before jumping on the recording machine.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by latepa(m): 4:33pm On Jan 15, 2010
asha 80:

I think the word 'Swagga' went around the world if you listen to American songs too, but wat can i say when people enjoy those songs mostly in the club
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by neeyee(m): 4:41pm On Jan 15, 2010
If some of the songs cre bad. Why do you see 'lots of ladies' dancing to it? A beg. Leave them and let them make their moooooooneey
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by otukpo(f): 4:57pm On Jan 15, 2010
ohhhhh
Dare Art dey try.
HE is good. He stands out with a few others.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by Bokoharam: 6:20pm On Jan 15, 2010
@topic

Do we mean the lyrics, or musicality, or instrumentation, or arrangement or theme, or message or what?

I TOTALLY DISAGREE.

"Say what, say what" is better abi?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by songman: 6:36pm On Jan 15, 2010
mikelagos,beknown, dammyray,bennezy, 4peace, dablaze,greatprice, ibkaye - nice one people,

Femi Kuti, Tuface (1st album with Kennis Music), Nneka's (heartbeat)  are the few i can remember now and sound fine to me.
I feel if we want serious international recognition we need to take our time to do our traditional songs right.  
and those with the real stuff should come out Abeg!
i want the whole world to see what we got but i cant support anything thats not professionally or technically good.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Artists Have Poorly Written Songs? by aieromon(m): 6:39pm On Jan 15, 2010
In modern day music,no one cares about the lyrical content of a song.Throw on a catchy chorus on a jamming beat mixed with a video featuring half/semi naked chicks and you're smiling to the bank.
Respect what puts food on your table.I don't listen to Timaya but if all it takes for him to be successful(cash returns) is releasing an album full of songs talkin' bout his enemies/player haters,then so be it.
I believe its a phase that will soon fade out.

(1) (2) (Reply)

LYRICS: Miracle Girl Lyrics By Selebobo / Nigerian Rock Artistes / Get A Professional Certificate In Public Relations From NIPR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.