Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:40 AM

7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics (22616 Views)

Energy Investment: Gates, Bezos Invest $1B In 7 New Energy Startups / 5 Basic Facts You Should Know About The Human Body / Some Interesting Facts About Cumulonimbus Clouds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by deepwater(f): 12:51pm On May 24, 2017
No 2 is scary

Like a child is being borne every second shocked

And sex occurs every second cool that is gonna affect the ecosystem man. Entropy must always change sha grin grin grin
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by Nobody: 1:16pm On May 24, 2017
ikp120:
This is geography, not physics bro. Na wa o. sad
it's both geography and physics(even more) water cycle evaporation, condensation, radiation etc
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by Nobody: 1:20pm On May 24, 2017
mrphysics:

2. It is raining every second somewhere on earth surface: There are things that must be occurring every second on earth. Among them include sex (someone must be doing this somewhere every second of the 24 daily hours), childbirth (A child is being delivered in every second of the day. Rainfall is a phenomenon that occurs simultaneously on a daily basis. Thus, as you read this now, just know that it is raining somewhere on earth. This is not unconnected with the shape and movement of the earth.

Tempakguy, Sirwere, Jonnydon, Seun, Lalasticlala, Pocohantas, Abadsheddy, and the moderators
Nice article. I see you are a good writer.

Though you may be right about saying "There are things that must be occurring every second on earth." I doubt if rainfall is one of them, or even sex. I think those figures have been exaggerated.

Certainly, childbirth cannot take place every second in a day. If that were true, the world would have been over-populated by now since that would mean every year, around 30 million childbirths occur. That's highly unlikely.

The current world population stands at approximately 7.3 billion (March 2017 estimate); if people had sex every second or gave birth every second; the world population would have exceeded this figure long ago -- taking into account current figures of annual mortality rate.

Last year, the United States Census Bureau estimated there is one birth every 7 seconds and one death every 13 seconds, with a net gain of one person on earth every 11 seconds.

As a graduate of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), one should be wary of using figures unjustifiably unless they are backed by research.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by Fidelmak(m): 1:22pm On May 24, 2017
please explain point 5 vividly
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by Greenbuoy(m): 1:25pm On May 24, 2017
N o n s e n s e
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by mrphysics(m): 1:25pm On May 24, 2017
Butterworth:

You listed 7 facts about rain without explaining the causes of that fact.

Stop delving on a subject you know nothing about.
Lol. There is no need to join words with you.
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 1:32pm On May 24, 2017
Butterworth:

You listed 7 facts about rain without explaining the causes of that fact.

Stop delving on a subject you know nothing about.

God bless you.

As far add I'm concerned there is nothing even remotely rigorous about this article. It could just as well be labeled a short story.
Too much ignorance in Nigeria; people are even applauding him!
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by mrphysics(m): 1:49pm On May 24, 2017
gensteejay:

Nice article. I see you are a good writer.

Though you may be right about saying "There are things that must be occurring every second on earth." I doubt if rainfall is one of them, or even sex. I think those figures have been exaggerated.

Certainly, childbirth cannot take place every second in a day. If that were true, the world would have been over-populated by now since that would mean every year, around 30 million childbirths occur. That's highly unlikely.

The current world population stands at approximately 7.3 billion (March 2017 estimate); if people had sex every second or gave birth every second; the world population would have exceeded this figure long ago -- taking into account current figures of annual mortality rate.

Last year, the United States Census Bureau estimated there is one birth every 7 seconds and one death every 13 seconds, with a net gain of one person on earth every 11 seconds.

As a graduate of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), one should be wary of using figures unjustifiably unless they are backed by research.
Thanks. Though that of raifall occurs every second.
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by mrphysics(m): 1:52pm On May 24, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

God bless you.

As far add I'm concerned there is nothing even remotely rigorous about this article. It could add well be labeled a short story.
Too much ignorance in Nigeria; people are even applauding him!
Is this not noise? You have not refuted anything I put forward in the article and you are just saying anything.

Please there is something called constructive argument. qensteejay did that and I commend him for that, he came with facts and figures. That is how scientist argue and not just making philosophical inference.
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by Nobody: 1:52pm On May 24, 2017
mrphysics:

Thanks. Though that of raifall occurs every second.
OK.
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by mrphysics(m): 1:56pm On May 24, 2017
ikp120:
Majority of the things you learn about weather in geography came from physics research. The study of the lower atmosphere called Meteorology teaches a whole lot about weather that you might not know.

Someone has already told you that they are both geography and even more of physics. This is because the mathematical aspect of them have been sieved way from geography students
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by mrphysics(m): 1:59pm On May 24, 2017
gensteejay:

OK.
I must commend you for your logical argument. I learned a lot from the facts and figures you put there.

That of rainfall was carefully researched before putting it up there.
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by Nobody: 2:02pm On May 24, 2017
mrphysics:

I must commend you for your logical argument. I learned a lot from the facts and figures you put there.

That of rainfall was carefully researched before putting it up there.
Well done.

I see you are a freelance writer and Physics graduate like me. That's cool.
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by bsideboii(m): 2:03pm On May 24, 2017
El- Nino and La - Nina
What is the physics behind spiritualists that claim to hold rain from falling because of an event.
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by Milo30(m): 2:05pm On May 24, 2017
No. 4 is bullshit. Mrphysics I didn't even understand your explanation. Does the ground ever get significantly wet without rainfall?
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by Nobody: 2:18pm On May 24, 2017
bsideboii:
El- Nino and La - Nina
What is the physics behind spiritualists that claim to hold rain from falling because of an event.
Lol. That's a very controversial aspect.

Though I am a religionist, physics or science generally doesn't entertain the thought that there's is an Unseen Being controlling the universe, or that natural phenomena like rainfall, thunder, etc. can be controlled by magic or voodoo.

I don't really bother myself about all these superstitious beliefs but I believe in the existence of dark power, magic.

Maybe scientists will be able to prove these spiritual concepts are real some day. Maybe the recent noetic science will.

Noetic science is a new field of science that attempts to explain concepts that are related to soul, death, consciousness etc. using physical laws.

Other than the major discovery in noetic science few years ago where experts in the field were able to measure the mass of the human soul using a dead body and some scientific tools, no other recent breakthroughs have been made as of now.

Noetic science is still at the nascent stage.
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by Harrytimbog(m): 2:24pm On May 24, 2017
ikp120:
U're still right but Meteorology and climate science is also partially known as Atmospheric physics.....It is d study of the atmosphere using laws of physics and mathematical applications.... more of physics and maths but geography remains d bedrock
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by mrphysics(m): 2:41pm On May 24, 2017
gensteejay:

Well done.

I see you are a freelance writer and Physics graduate like me. That's cool.
Lol. Yeah, I'm a freelance writer and physics and astronomy graduate.
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by bsideboii(m): 3:33pm On May 24, 2017
gensteejay:

Lol. That's a very controversial aspect.

Though I am a religionist, physics or science generally doesn't entertain the thought that there's is an Unseen Being controlling the universe, or that natural phenomena like rainfall, thunder, etc. can be controlled by magic or voodoo.

I don't really bother myself about all these superstitious beliefs but I believe in the existence of dark power, magic.

Maybe scientists will be able to prove these spiritual concepts are real some day. Maybe the recent noetic science will.

Noetic science is a new field of science that attempts to explain concepts that are related to soul, death, consciousness etc. using physical laws.

Other than the major discovery in noetic science few years ago where experts in the field were able to measure the mass of the human soul using a dead body and some scientific tools, no other recent breakthroughs have been made as of now.

Noetic science is still at the nascent stage.

Hmmm.. Thanks for the little exposee.Indeed there is a lot to be discovered.
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by Joenike: 3:47pm On May 24, 2017
COLD AIR IS DRY WHILE WARM AIR IS WET
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by Joenike: 3:49pm On May 24, 2017
EXACTLY
Harrytimbog:
U're still right but Meteorology and climate science is also partially known as Atmospheric physics.....It is d study of the atmosphere using laws of physics and mathematical applications.... more of physics and maths but geography remains d bedrock
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by holluphemydavid(m): 4:30pm On May 24, 2017
which kind crap is dis for goodness sake
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by PastorSeun(m): 4:45pm On May 24, 2017
I wish to clarify that warm air is less dense and readily rises most especially when heated up which is the mechanism responsible for land and sea breezes. Warm air rises and cools as it goes up within the troposphere.
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by mrphysics(m): 5:10pm On May 24, 2017
PastorSeun:
I wish to clarify that warm air is less dense and readily rises most especially when heated up which is the mechanism responsible for land and sea breezes. Warm air rises and cools as it goes up within the troposphere.
Yes, you are correct.
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by mrphysics(m): 6:08pm On May 24, 2017
Harrytimbog:
Knowledge is knowledge and there have a source most times. When physicists realized the interest of geographers in the lower atmosphere, they literally left it to study the higher atmosphere. This study led to the discovery of the ionosphere and the study of this atmosphere is called ionospheric physics. Physicists have more knowledge backed up with facts about the atmosphere more than what geography teaches. They go deeper into the cause of such weather conditions. Notwithstanding physics has lesser interests in this region already being struggled for by geographers
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by Harrytimbog(m): 9:41pm On May 24, 2017
mrphysics:

Knowledge is knowledge and there have a source most times. When physicists realized the interest of geographers in the lower atmosphere, they literally left it to study the higher atmosphere. This study led to the discovery of the ionosphere and the study of this atmosphere is called ionospheric physics. Physicists have more knowledge backed up with facts about the atmosphere more than what geography teaches. They go deeper into the cause of such weather conditions. Notwithstanding physics has lesser interests in this region already being struggled for by geographers
I studied Meteorology and climate science and i have a B.Tech in this discipline.... we took too many physics and mathematics courses to the extent that physics and mathematics students sabi us too well...+ according to Library of congress classification/arrangement of book, meteorology falls under physics which is denoted by the code Qc. But its still a discipline under Geoscience and it falls under the faculty (school of earth and mineral science). I would say t involves d 3 subjects tho.
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by mrphysics(m): 9:49pm On May 24, 2017
Harrytimbog:
I studied Meteorology and climate science and i have a B.Tech in this discipline.... we took too many physics and mathematics courses to the extent that physics and mathematics students sabi us too well...+ according to Library of congress classification/arrangement of book, meteorology falls under physics which is denoted by the code Qc. But its still a discipline under Geoscience and it falls under the faculty (school of earth and mineral science). I would say t involves d 3 subjects tho.
You are correct. Meteorology is an area of specialization in physics. I did four courses under that specialization. These four courses were devoted to the study. I didn't really like it because it does not involve so much calculations. It's more of stories. Lol. Which school offer Meteorology and climate science as a single course?
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by Harrytimbog(m): 9:58pm On May 24, 2017
mrphysics:

You are correct. Meteorology is an area of specialization in physics. I did four courses under that specialization. These four courses were devoted to the study. I didn't really like it because it does not involve so much calculations. It's more of stories. Lol. Which school offer Meteorology and climate science as a single course?
Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA) ......Only sch dat offers d course as a degree course in West Africa
Re: 7 New Facts About Rainfall You Should Know - Mrphysics by mrphysics(m): 12:22am On May 25, 2017
Harrytimbog:
Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA) ......Only sch dat offers d course as a degree course in West Africa
Wao, that's really nice.But you have graduated right?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Meet Philip Emeagwali: Biography Of Father Of Modern Day Internet / How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes / 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.