Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,883 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:30 AM

Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize (23767 Views)

Lesley Nneka Arimah Wins 2019 Caine Prize / Eva Nneka's Story: High School Crush To A Forced Husband / Wole Soyinka Reacts To Wedding Of His Son, Oretunlewa And Nneka Ekechukwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by Chanchit: 10:20pm On May 23, 2017
Afam4eva:

I'm not saying this is not true. Before i say something, i most have noticed a trend. I dare say that majority of notable young Nigerian writers are Igbo. That's not to take anything from non-Igbo writers who are also doing great things.

Well, majority of the writers I've seen at my own end here are Yoruba. It simply means we all see what we want to see.
And even this prize you guys are making fuss about has been won three times by Yoruba, while Igbo and Hausa share 1 each.

1 Like

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by Afam4eva(m): 10:29pm On May 23, 2017
Chanchit:

Well, majority of the writers I've seen at my own end here are Yoruba. It simply means we all see what we want to see.
And even this prize you guys are making fuss about has been won three times by Yoruba, while Igbo and Hausa share 1 each.
I never made fuss about any award. You can point me to where i mentioned the Caine award specifically. Like i said, i noticed a trend with my pseudo objective eye and i said it the way i see it. But like you said, maybe i'm just seeing what i want to see.

1 Like

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by mercyville: 10:33pm On May 23, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:

False, the Igbos hold the ace in mathematics.
Just cos of the three people that came in front page over one competition like that doesn't mean the shine is off Igbos
Yorubas have the greatest and best mathematicians in the whole black race.

http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/madgreatest.html

1 Like

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by Nobody: 10:33pm On May 23, 2017
Afam4eva:
Congrats to them all.

Can someone help in explaining why most young writers in Nigeria are Igbo. This is something i've noticed for a while now. Is there any concerted effort by the governors in the south-east that explains it or Igbos are just fond of the literary world.

yea,maybe because we are influenced by the numerous stories(moonlight folk tales )told by our fore fathers,there were too many,most esp about mbe,the tortoise,it was part of our culture and besides don't forget the Biafra war experience,
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by KemjikaEme: 10:43pm On May 23, 2017
Igbos just have a way of expressing their thoughts,feelings,experiences and stories,richly glossed with cultural themes, proverbs and fascinating narrative styles.
As an English/lit graduate,most of the outstanding books i read in school were written by Igbo authors that wrote their stories from an African prespective which is highly appreciated by non African literary platforms.
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by Afonjafucker(m): 10:44pm On May 23, 2017
Kathmandu:
Tribalist will have a field date.

How come the Northerners don't do well on the international stage but they are always allocated choice post in Nigeria.

Truly, this country aptly describes the name Kanu calls it

[b]ZOO[b]
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by purplekayc(m): 10:46pm On May 23, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Both young And old.
Check Nigerian novels for WAEC back in the days,

Achebe
Cyprian Ekwensi
Chukwuemeka Ike
Flora Nwapa
Buchi Emecheta
Elechi Amadi

There was Soyinka, Rotimi(Gods are not to blame) , but they are few non Igbo classic novelists
African writers series

1 Like

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by BiafraAmaka(m): 10:48pm On May 23, 2017
Awolowo seeing the achievements of Igbos in education from the pit of hell where he is right now will be very disappointed

1 Like

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by mercyville: 10:55pm On May 23, 2017
Afam4eva:

Do you know Chinedu Omeruo? grin

Chinedu Omeruo has sold his thing and he is inconsequential ICT- wise.Yorubas control 70% of ICT in Nigeria.
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by Elfaris(m): 11:04pm On May 23, 2017
Ovokoo:
The Caine Prize for African Writing is an annual literary award aimed at bringing African writing to a wider audience. The Caine prize has helped a lot of emerging writers enter the world of mainstream publishing through the annual Caine Prize writers’ workshop.

This year, three Nigerians, Lesley Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu and Arinze Ifeakandu, are among the five writers shortlisted for the 2017 Caine Prize for African Writing. Bushra al-Fadil, from Sudan, and Magogodi Makhene, from South Africa, were also shortlisted.

VIEW SOURCE: http://ovoko.com.ng/three-nigerians-nominated-2017-caine-prize-african-writing-pictures/

Maya hurriedly locked her front door. Wearing a black skirt and a white blouse she ran towards the driveway bringing out her car keys. Looking through the wing mirror she patted her hair, her smile was soft like a petals caught in a breeze. It was just enough to allow a gleam of white from the teeth below and a slight dimple of her cheek. She got into the car and headed towards Nero Elementary School where she taught social studies.
As the car came to a halt ......... http://typicalstori..co.ke/2017/05/way-to-fallsepisode1.html?m=1 A teachers excursion trips turns into a nightmare.

1 Like

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by KemjikaEme: 11:12pm On May 23, 2017
If you are a budding author or aggrieved that lgbos receive more recognition(lol),then i suggest you limit creative writing and focus on issues/theme common in your respective cultures and it's relationship with the global village.
There are so many things to write about!
A good example is Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Adichie which is mostly centered around social and political unrest in Nigeria.
Situate your narrative around topical or critical African issues and the world will pick interest.
They are not interested in your writing skills,your ability to convey African themes/characters in a clear and lucid style should be the priority.
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by realhumanity: 12:04am On May 24, 2017
Afam4eva:

I didn't say engineering. I said Mathematics as a subject specifically. The best mathematicians in my class in secondary school were Yorubas.

In the class I thought, they were igbos and yorubas. There was this girl called Ojel, gosh! make you no meet this little girl.for competition, you might be disgraced.
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by caracas: 1:12am On May 24, 2017
TVTKOKO:
sameway you can't explain why most calculating machines,, i mean 'mathematics brainbox' are yorubas tongue
How na correct me if am mistaken
The father of mathematics , chike obi is from where ?
Philip emegwali,the father of computer is from where ?
Guy Abeg park well joor.
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by caracas: 1:18am On May 24, 2017
mercyville:

Yorubas have the greatest and best mathematicians in the whole black race.

http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/madgreatest.html
Even from ur link an igbo Ezeilo was regarded as the best mathematician to ever come out if Nigeria n Africa at large
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by LEOVOLUTION(m): 4:02am On May 24, 2017
LordOfNaira:

None of the writers you mentioned was more cultural in their work as Soyinka. And talking about Cyprian, he was the most diverse of Igbo writers. His books dealt with different cultures, one at a time, not just Igbo culture.

Bro tribalism apart, I don't think anyone really delved deep culture wise than Achebe. Come on, have you read the arrow of God, things fall apart and co. Mehn that man(of blessed memories) held me by the hand and took me on a time traveling expedition to my ancestral times. I swear I could see those masquerades dancing with such...such vigorous frenzy.
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by TVTKOKO(m): 6:41am On May 24, 2017
caracas:

How na correct me if am mistaken
The father of mathematics , chike obi is from where ?
Philip emegwali,the father of computer is from where ?
Guy Abeg park well joor.
calm down guy.. Igbos can only be the indisputable champions of drug dealing. I acknowledge the fact that there are good guys amongst them doing extraordinarily very well but they can't match the feat of the Yorubas academically thank you

2 Likes

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by jude90(m): 7:21am On May 24, 2017
nice one.
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by Nobody: 8:23am On May 24, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Both young And old.
Check Nigerian novels for WAEC back in the days,

Achebe
Cyprian Ekwensi
Chukwuemeka Ike
Flora Nwapa
Buchi Emecheta
Elechi Amadi

There was Soyinka, Rotimi(Gods are not to blame) , but they are few non Igbo classic novelists
Elechi Amadi is Ikwerre.
Inu nna?
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by bkool7(m): 8:34am On May 24, 2017
smackimorn:
Awolowo's free education didn't cover literature.

Better don't quote me. tongue

Tribal bigot

check history

Elechi amadi had his secondary and tertiary education in the West .He is not even Igbo cos he served in the Nigerian army during the civil war

Also Chinua Achebe also attended University of Ibadan

1 Like

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by bkool7(m): 8:47am On May 24, 2017
caracas:

Even from ur link an igbo Ezeilo was regarded as the best mathematician to ever come out if Nigeria n Africa at large
Stop lying

This are extracts from the link

Great Black Mathematicians of the 1970s&
1960s:

There are quite a few well established Black
mathematicians, in Africa, the Americas, Asia,
and Europe, who are internationally known as
leaders in their respective fields though past the
midpoint of their careers and never quite
reaching the accomplishment/recognition of " the
masters." Ethelbert Chukwu (Differential
Equations, Control Theory, and Mathmatical
Economics), Francisco Antonio Doria
(mathematical physics, logic, the philosphy of
science, and the mathematical theory of
communications), Nöel Lohoue (Functional
Analysis), Donald Richards (Statistics), and Floyd
Williams (Homological Algebra & Lie Groups) are
probably the best of the group.
Others are Olusola Akinyele (Ordinary
Differential Equations), Augustin Banyaga
(Differential Topology), Earl Barnes (Linear &
Non-linear Programming), Heneri Dzinotyiweyi
(Topological Semigroups), G. O. S. Ekhaguere
(Mathematical Physics), John A. Ewell (Number
Theory), Aderemi Kuku (Algebraic K-theory), and
Scott Williams (Set-Theoretic Topology, Set
Theory, Topological Dynamics). There are at least
10 other good mathematicians who could be
mentioned here, you can find them on the web
page Research Mathematicians of the African
Diaspora: http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/
ResearchMathematicians.html
Though Black Women in Mathematics form 25%
of all Black Mathematicians, it has not escaped
this author that the above response to question 4
discusses no woman. I am only aware of a hand
full of Black women active ly engaged at
forwarding the science significantly beyond a
thesis. The most senior is Fern Hunt who has at
least 20 papers - recall the most junior, Kate
Okikiolu is discussed in section 5 (above).

The Masters

Until the mid 1980s, Charles Bell, David
Blackwell, A. T. Bharucha-Reid, and J. Ernest
Wilkins had published more mathematics than
the entire rest of the entire African American
community. Though this no longer thecaseThe
Masters,
a slight expansion of the group has
published more papers than the entire Black
Mathematics community in the 20th century. I
believe The Masters are David Blackwell, J.
Ernest Wilkins, George O. Okikiolu, James
Ezeilo, Albert T. Bharucha-Reid, Ronald E.
Mickens, and Charles Bell.

1 Like

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by mercyville: 8:50am On May 24, 2017
caracas:

That is what Igbos are generally known for...lies!Ezeilo tried but he is a small boy compared to his Yoruba masters.

3. Who is [or was] the most important Black Mathematician?

I believe the answer is vaguely fathomable? Assuming "importance" refers to impact upon the community. Do we mean on mathematics, on the world community in general, or just in the African Diaspora community? In the first case, we discussed individuals in the masters above. In the last case the answer might be the first Black Math Ph.D., a mathematician influential with governement (as Percy A. Pierre), a great teacher (such as Etta Falconer or Clarence Stephens), a research mathematician, or some part or combination of the four (like Adegoke Olubummo or Raymond Johnson). You must decide; to learn more click on the underlined words.

Did you see Ezeilo amongst the most important and greatest mathematicians of all time?
He cannot even lace the shoes of Katherine!
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by teevodaprinz(m): 9:24am On May 24, 2017
But you will hardly see hausas commit crime in the outside world. Though I'm ain't insinuating that to justify the hausas for the posts in Nigeria ... I think it all ball down to the love for each other and unity among them unlike the other tribes

Kathmandu:
Tribalist will have wa field date.

How come the Northerners don't do well on the international stage but they are always allocated choice post in Nigeria.

Truly, this country aptly describes the name Kanu calls it
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by leahcimzil: 9:32am On May 24, 2017
Read who will greet you at home on The Newyorker. Bruhh that's some eerie story
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by ceeafuejay(m): 9:40am On May 24, 2017
[b][/b] Please check this out: https:///aFkxnNmJ1I

Thanks nairalanders.
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by Ijscarface: 9:52am On May 24, 2017
EVILFOREST:
Na only IGBOS and YORUBA dey Nigeria.
Imagine Igbos and Yoruba just coming together for just a year...now think of what they can make out.....?

If only they knew, they would have come together to front a common goal...
And leave Jihadists alone

[color=#006600][/color]M
My thoughts exactly
I noticed that when you make peace with that someone you always quarrel with the bond formed is almost unbreakable
Lets make peace not war
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by Vivilisco(f): 11:01am On May 24, 2017
Very good development. So proud of them cheesy cheesy
Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by LordOfNaira: 11:02am On May 24, 2017
LEOVOLUTION:

Bro tribalism apart, I don't think anyone really delved deep culture wise than Achebe. Come on, have you read the arrow of God, things fall apart and co. Mehn that man(of blessed memories) held me by the hand and took me on a time traveling expedition to my ancestral times. I swear I could see those masquerades dancing with such...such vigorous frenzy.

So using proverbs and village settings and basic Igbo traditions makes Achebe more cultural than Soyinka? How many Soyinka's works have you even read? We are talking about delving deep into myths, you are talking about masquerades that we find easily in the works of even Adichie. Have you read Soyinka's "Ogun Abibiman" and seen how deeply he treats the myths of Ogun, the god of Iron? Have you read the philosophical "The Road"? Have you read "A Dance of the Forest"? Have you read "Death and the King's Horseman"? Have you read his adaptation of Bacchus of Euripedes? No writer, I repeat, no African writer comes close to Soyinka when it comes to myths and traditions. It is not merely writing in simple English and using proverbs (Amadi and Chukwuemeka Ike used it too, so nothing special), but treating the deeper aspects of myths and relating them to modern happenings. Read Soyinka's "The Interpreters" and see how Soyinka incorporated the myths of Oshun and Ogun. Do you know Egbo in Soyinka's "The Interpreters" is fashioned after Ogun, the Yoruba god of Iron?

From his adaptation of Bacchus and his interpretation of a DO Fagunwa's book to his novels, plays and poems, Soyinka's works are all cultural with Ogun being the central character.

The problem is that most of you who rate Achebe over Soyinka have not read any of Soyinka's works. Some people have only read "Lion and the Jewel" and yet want to compare. Without taking anything away from Achebe, I doubt if he was as knowledgeable in Igbo culture as Soyinka is in Yoruba culture.

3 Likes

Re: Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize by Ladycloud(f): 11:21am On May 24, 2017
Yaaaaay... Arinze... Well done bro

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dangerous Love (18+) / The Deadly Seduction (A Steamy Romance) / Sex With My Mathematics Teacher … (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.