Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,174 members, 7,780,205 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:50 AM

Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti (14127 Views)

Boston Heaves A Sigh Of Relief As Bomb Suspect Is Arrested, Suspect In Critical / Haiti Joins African Union / I Can Breathe A Sigh Of Relief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by asha80(m): 10:07pm On Jan 14, 2010
davidylan:

that basically makes no sense. So we should wait until we have thousands homeless before we respond to situations? Or is it because Haiti is now on television everyone is now hyperventilating?
Do you know how many have died existing on mud cake diets and were homeless BEFORE the earthquake? Do you only care for earthquake victims? How many of you could pick out Haiti on the world map last week?

How many of you knew that 40% of Haiti's economy depends on foreign aid from the US? How many of you are aware that Haiti is 149th out of 182 nations on the UN HDI?

You all waited until now to send aid to Haiti?

This was as far back as 2008 - Starving people in Haiti eating mud

But i bet you all didnt care then. The whites are now doing something about Haiti now you all pretend to care.

Damn!Eating mud. shocked angry

However if haiti's economy has been 40% on aid then what is the guarantee that the aids we are to donate will get to the right source since the 40% aid was obviously wasted   undecided
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by bawomolo(m): 10:10pm On Jan 14, 2010
asha 80:

Damn!Eating mud. shocked angry

However if haiti's economy has been 40% on aid then what is the guarantee that the aids we are to donate will get to the right source since the 40% aid was obviously wasted   undecided

money from the tsunami relief fund went missing. this is the risk of doing work in countries like burma etc.
People should donate for the short term but haiti has to do the long term work.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jan 14, 2010
platinumnk:

David- What have u done before and after the earthquake?

What have you done for  Nigeria?

Who wouldnt know where Haiti is? Who doesnt know the plight of the refugees?

So sending money is pretending to care? Where did you land this morning?  

Funny how the people yarning dust are the ones who fold their hands to Nigeria and every other situation.

I havent done much for Nigeria because i am not yet in a position to contribute more than a useless N100 note to a situation that requires billions to solve.
My argument really isnt as much about "what have you done" . . . it is to stimulate thinking in the minds of those of us who let emotions cloud our judgement. Has anyone ever wondered why the whites or Asians dont need to turn up with begging bowls when they have much worse disasters? Why are Africans completely bereft of the ability to introspect? When are we going to demand that our leaders give us FUNCTIONING nations on par with what obtains in other parts of the world?

Why are we 110% dependent on the humanity of others? Has anyone wondered why the Haitian presidential palace exudes so much luxury in the midst of such suffering or are we so used to being downtrodden by those we elect to lead us that it has become normal?

Do you think if such an earthquake hit California they would be waiting for oxfam, Red Cross and the EU?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jan 14, 2010
bawomolo:

I kinda understand what dawodu is trying to say.

a city with a population of 2 million people has no excuse for not having earth moving equipment, a fire service or more than 9000 policemen.  haiti has experienced disaster before so contingency plans should have been made earlier.  Haiti is a corrupt country and has to answer where all the aid it gets went too?

This shouldn't stop people from donating but chances are lots of donations would be embezzled or mismanaged in corrupt government style

the haitian "white house" was destroyed during the quake too. bulldozers are been transported from neighboring Dominican republic.

I heard that on the news this morning as i was preparing for work and it set me thinking seriously. How can a nation explain not having any earth moving vehicle? Shouldnt a nation, in a hurricane and possible earthquake zone, have an emergency response plan?

What is the difference between Haiti and the Dominican republic? Both actually share the same island of Hispaniola! Why is the DR a lot more advanced than Haiti? why arent they eating mud there too? Why arent they crying for aid all the time? Is it because they are NOT black like Haitians?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jan 14, 2010
bawomolo:

I kinda understand what dawodu is trying to say.

[b]a city with a population of 2 million people has no excuse for not having earth moving equipment, a fire service or more than 9000 policemen.  haiti has experienced disaster [/b]before so contingency plans should have been made earlier.  Haiti is a corrupt country and has to answer where all the aid it gets went too?

This shouldn't stop people from donating but chances are lots of donations would be embezzled or mismanaged in corrupt government style

maybe so - but the time for recriminations is later

this is not about the corrupt neerdo well govt of haiti. this is about the citizens -  those for whom aid is the only hope.

You all waited until now to send aid to Haiti?

this is a crisis - not a regular story out of any third world country . your case is sad. you're indifferent o them when they have their run of the mill problems - you're indifferent when there is a catastrophe.

at least be quiet when lesser minds try to do what they can to  alleviate some people's pain
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 10:18pm On Jan 14, 2010
David- Did you know that American Red Cross helped those affected by Katrina?

You say we take of our own, I say it doesnt matter, how did those people on top of their rooftops survive?
Was the "white" government?
Or did u miss the many tv shows where they was begging for donations for the Katrina Victims

it doesnt matter devloped nation or undeveloped nation help is help.

People in New Orleans still need help, go and see places where it looks justs like the Flood just left.

White take care their own my foot. How about people asking for donations after  9/11?
Was that also government funded?
undecided

oyb:

this is a crisis - not a regular story out of any third world country . your case is sad. you're indifferent o them when they have their run of the mill problems - you're indifferent when there is a catastrophe.

at least be quiet when lesser minds try to do what they can to  alleviate some people's pain
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Uche2nna(m): 10:18pm On Jan 14, 2010
oníjògbòn:

excellent points! the only rational thinking people on this thread!

leave them make dem dey let their emotions cloud their ability to see the whole picture.

all of a sudden, all of dem don turn to mother theresa over night because of haiti's unfortunate but preventable catastrophic event.

eyan dudu! na we be our own enemies!  

***shakes head*****
We really need a moderator to come clean up all this nonsense.

Lets even pretend for one millisecond that an earthquake is preventable, is that enough reason to look the other way.   undecided

U talk about a big picture, ,,, tell me , how can U possibly be talking about the big picture when it is obvious that U are really missing the most urgent need here. Or does that not fit into ur so called big picture  undecided  I expect someone who sees the big picture to be able to proffer both short term solution (for urgent need) and long term solutions. Haiti, right now, needs short-term, stop-gap solutions. The long term solution should come later.  If U can't see that, then I cant help u.

David is talking about Haiti not been in good shape even before the natural disaster. Well, thanks for telling us what we dont know. wink But U can now imagine how worse they are now AFTER the earthquake. Doesnt that strengthen the argument for a short term solution that will bring immediate relief?  undecided  The kids in Haiti does not really need speculations now, they need HELP. They needed help even before the earthquake. With this earthquake, the immediacy of the help is even underscored the more.

Just like Debosky said, no need showing me an ad for sprinklers/extinguishers when my house is already in flames. That dont help me much at that time. Help me quench the fire first ( grin) and then come give me ur pitch about sprinklers.

Besides, the most important point is that nobody is holding a shotgun to ur head asking u to donate money to Haiti. U still reserve that discretion.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jan 14, 2010
oyb:

at least be quiet when lesser minds try to do what they can to  alleviate some people's pain

That is basically BS. What really are you doing? Sending $10? To do what exactly? Hire earth moving trucks from the Dominican republic?

Enough of the false tears and worthless emotions. What if foreign governments turned a blind eye? I can bet you no one would be asking for donations here.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by bawomolo(m): 10:21pm On Jan 14, 2010
oyb:

maybe so - but the time for recriminations is later

this is not about the corrupt neerdo well govt of haiti. this is about the citizens -  those for whom aid is the only hope.

I agree, haiti can as well be somalia.  They have no government and aid groups have to step in.
I hope they don't start looting soon or things would just get worse. dawodu is just being baba ijebu grin
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by pixiraver(m): 10:22pm On Jan 14, 2010
Make una donate for Haiti oo people in Nigeria who prefer to donate cash must do so via the appropriate authorities in Nigeria, make una no give any church money say dem dey gather for Haiti victims oo, na scam. Also Nigerians who are asking to fly to Haiti to assist make una no do escape oo  grin grin grin

On a serious note, donate.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jan 14, 2010
Uche2nna:

Just like Debosky said, no need showing me an ad for sprinklers/extinguishers when my house is already in flames. That dont help me much at that time. Help me quench the fire first ( grin) and then come give me your pitch about sprinklers.

I will help . . . you've been paying ur property taxes, have not blocked the fire sprinklers infront of your house, did not deliberately refuse to call the fire service when your house went aflame . . . sure you deserve all the help you can get.

platinumnk:

David- Did you know that American Red Cross helped those affected by Katrina?

You say we take of our own, I say it doesnt matter, how did those people on top of their rooftops survive?
Was the "white" government?
Or did u miss the many tv shows where they was begging for donations for the Katrina Victims

Yes people donated for Katrina . . . but 90% of the responsibility was borne by the federal government. People lost their jobs for a few hours of delay in getting help to those who needed it. Now THAT IS A NATION that functions . . . where tax money is used to prepare for emergencies not used to build palaces.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by MrCrackles(m): 10:23pm On Jan 14, 2010
This is really simple. . . .
The thread is sending out a strong and urgent message about helping Haitians. . .
If you want to help, do so. . . .
If you dont want to, spunk off. . . .
And if anyone decides to help, why chat mumbo jumbos to rubbish thier efforts?
If you dont want to, no one has threatened to bomb you into extinction, so what is the fuss all about
Can we just stop turning the thread into something else. . .
If you have issues about whether aid or relief efforts is right or wrong, bloody open a new thread!!!!
YA BLOODCLOTS!!! angry
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Divinechoc(f): 10:24pm On Jan 14, 2010
That is besides the point, the fact still remains that you are still a dumb ass that doesn't reason logically!

davidylan:

Take a look at the grammatical errors in this sentence and then come back to accuse others of "ignorance".

@ topic . . . virtually ALL those who live in the US at least will be making this donations TAX DEDUCTIBLE . . . so in essence you really are not donating anything since the government will pay you back every dime when its tax time next yr. So what is the point of all these faux noise about "helping" Haiti?

The US government alone is donating $100m to relief efforts . . . what will your meager $10 do?

Nigeria is a billboard for daily man-made disasters . . . i guess its just easier to sit in your comfy chairs in the US dialing blah blah blah to donate to Haiti.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jan 14, 2010
MrCrackles:

The thread is sending out a strong and urgent message about helping Haitians. . .
If you have issues about whether aid or relief efforts is right or wrong, bloody open a new thread!!!!
YA BLOODCLOTS!!! angry

Err you're in the UK . . . Haiti is also a burden to you too? Hypocrites.

Besides what language is your rant written in? this thread is not on ur personal blog, feel offended by opposing views then you are absolutely free to not read them. Enough with all the nonsensical pretense and empty emotionalism running riot. If we had this many people who cared so deeply about others perhaps Nigeria would be a better place and we wont all be economic refugees today.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by igbonla(m): 10:26pm On Jan 14, 2010
MrCrackles:

And if anyone decides to help, why chat mumbo jumbos to rubbish thier efforts?
If you dont want to, no one has threatened to bomb you into extinction, so what is the fuss all about
YA BLOODCLOTS!!! angry

+1
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by MrCrackles(m): 10:27pm On Jan 14, 2010
davidylan:

Err you're in the UK . . . Haiti is also a burden to you too? Hypocrites.

Besides what language is your rant written in? this thread is not on your personal blog, feel offended by opposing views then you are absolutely free to not read them. Enough with all the nonsensical pretense and empty emotionalism running riot. If we had this many people who cared so deeply about others perhaps Nigeria would be a better place and we wont all be economic refugees today.
There you go again Daffidi. . .
Use your head!!!! grin
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jan 14, 2010
Divinechoc:

That is besides the point, the fact still remains that you are still a dumb backside that doesn't reason logically!

and this is your example of logical reasoning? So you all love Haitians so much you would insult others because of them? I'd be glad when you all volunteer to move to Haiti permanently . . . the rest of us who dont wish to donate prefer to do so without being maligned for it. A doctor friend of mine is volunteering her time, money and effort to GO TO HAITI . . . now that is someone who deeply cares. . . not the phonies here weeping about donating $10.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jan 14, 2010
bawomolo:

I agree, haiti can as well be somalia.  They have no government and aid groups have to step in.
I hope they don't start looting soon or things would just get worse.

forget somailia - its only the fact that Nigeria is not prone to natural disasters that is standing in our stead. have there been any reforms after the rash of air crashes two years ago?

it could just as easily have been nigeria.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 10:29pm On Jan 14, 2010
davidylan:

Yes people donated for Katrina . . . but 90% of the responsibility was borne by the federal government. People lost their jobs for a few hours of delay in getting help to those who needed it. Now THAT IS A NATION that functions . . . where tax money is used to prepare for emergencies not used to build palaces.

David, do you call throwing a couple hundred to the suffering and stuffing them in mobile homes help?
The Goverment FAILED in helping Katrina Victims. They are still failing to help Katrina Victims. Dont belive what you see on TV. come Down to New Orleans and see for yourself. How the Government built back Bourbon st, but walk 2 miles away from it and the place is desolate and deserted.

Do your proper research before making your claims.
University of New Orleans is still struggling to come back to its proper form. Government assistance my foot!  angry angry
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jan 14, 2010
i think i'm getting a close up view of  what 'fiddling while rome burns' means  undecided
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jan 14, 2010
platinumnk:

David, do you call throwing a couple hundred to the suffering and stuffing them in mobile homes help?
The Goverment FAILED in helping Katrina Victims. They are still failing to help Katrina Victims. Dont belive what you see on TV. come Down to New Orleans and see for yourself. How the Government built back Bourbon st, but walk 2 miles away from it and the place is desolate and deserted.

Do your proper research before making your claims.
University of New Orleans is still struggling to come back to its proper form. Government assistance my foot!  angry angry

Its so easy to castigate the US government as "failing to help Katrina victims" . . . i wonder why you're not accusing Red Cross, Oxfam or the many foreign countries for not donating enough to help katrina victims.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Uche2nna(m): 10:32pm On Jan 14, 2010
davidylan:

and this is your example of logical reasoning? So you all love Haitians so much you would insult others because of them? I'd be glad when you all volunteer to move to Haiti permanently . . . the rest of us who dont wish to donate prefer to do so without being maligned for it. A doctor friend of mine is volunteering her time, money and effort to GO TO HAITI . . . now that is someone who deeply cares. . . not the phonies here weeping about donating $10.

LOL!!!

Now your point is that the $10 is not enuff.

David, go and open a new thread about the problems of the black man. Better, open up a new thread on why all those donating $10 to Haiti are all a buncha hyprocties. Open a thread about watever u want but at least allow this thread to serve the purpose it was opened for.

Does Seun charge for opening a new thread? Is there something I am missing here? undecided
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by asha80(m): 10:33pm On Jan 14, 2010
oyb:

forget somailia - its only the fact that Nigeria is not prone to natural disasters that is standing in our stead. have there been any reforms after the rash of air crashes two years ago?

it could just as easily have been nigeria.

Errm. . .It seems naija's own is not as strong or instant as a tsunami or earthquake but i think that Gully Erosions and Desertifiacation are natural (a bit)
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by MrCrackles(m): 10:34pm On Jan 14, 2010
Uche2nna:

LOL!!!

David, go and open a new thread about the problems of the black man. Better, open up a new thread on why all those donating $10 to Haiti are all a buncha hyprocties. Open a thread about watever u want but at least allow this thread to serve the purpose it was opened for.

Does Seun charge for opening of a new thread? Is there something I am missing here? undecided
Thank you. . .
I have directed my thin veiled attack above at him and the rest of his team. . .
Reminding them to open a new thread based on the highlighted. . .
Its free. . .  grin
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by rasputinn(m): 10:34pm On Jan 14, 2010
undecided undecided
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 10:36pm On Jan 14, 2010
davidylan:

Its so easy to castigate the US government as "failing to help Katrina victims" . . . i wonder why you're not accusing Red Cross, Oxfam or the many foreign countries for not donating enough to help katrina victims.

I went that way because you was praising the white man for something they did not do.
The Red cross did plenty to help.

You're a hypocrite of the highest order David. Did you know that 320 people donating 20$ each would have completely paid for Josh's Surgery? Did You not as well fold your hands?

And you castigate for donating 10$. if 1 million donates 10, what does that make?
Its so simple to make intellectual arguments when its not your life being affected.

Uche2nna:

LOL!!!

Does Seun charge for opening a new thread? Is there something I am missing here? undecided
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by bawomolo(m): 10:36pm On Jan 14, 2010
asha 80:

Errm. . .It seems naija's own is not as strong or instant as a tsunami or earthquake but i think that Gully Erosions and Desertifiacation are natural (a bit)

that's true. i never thought of that.  lets not forget lake chad is about to disappear.
the truth of the matter is that the people of haiti need immediate help.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by 4Play(m): 10:36pm On Jan 14, 2010
@David

Your point is irrelevant to the thread. Haiti has always been a mess but there has been a sudden tragedy that is causing unimaginable suffering and there are people who wish to help in their own little way in dealing with this specific event.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by debosky(m): 10:47pm On Jan 14, 2010
davidylan:

That is basically BS. What really are you doing? Sending $10? To do what exactly? Hire earth moving trucks from the Dominican republic?

You are being irrational - are earth moving trucks the ONLY need of Haitians? How presumptuous of you - if the $10 brings food to just ONE PERSON it has made a difference to that person, even if for a moment.

It is most ridiculous to imply that since you cannot pay to change the ENTIRE situation you shouldn't do the little you can.

Enough of the false tears and worthless emotions. What if foreign governments turned a blind eye? I can bet you no one would be asking for donations here.

Irrelevant. Whether or not foreign governments do anything, the fact is, anyone here donating $10 is affecting the life of someone in Haiti, whether you realise it or not.

No one is claiming Haiti is being well run so you are not making any point here - no one is saying help the government, we are talking about individuals devastated by a disaster.

davidylan:

I havent done much for Nigeria because i am not yet in a position to contribute more than a useless N100 note to a situation that requires billions to solve.

So in essence, your rant is simply an outer display of your inner feeling of helplessness. You feel YOU cannot help and choose not to. That is YOUR prerogative.

My argument really isnt as much about "what have you done" . . . it is to stimulate thinking in the minds of those of us who let emotions cloud our judgement.

Judgment? What judgment have YOU exhibited by banging on about 'intellectual' arguments when there is a need on the ground that $10 CAN make a difference to? I think your judgment is the most flawed of all.

Has anyone ever wondered why the whites or Asians dont need to turn up with begging bowls when they have much worse disasters?

Oh - the Indonesians, Sri Lankans and Thai people are all African now? The Europeans who needed US funds to bail them out are now black? The Bosnians who needed food aid are also black? Dude - stop this asinine line of reasoning.

Why are Africans completely bereft of the ability to introspect? When are we going to demand that our leaders give us FUNCTIONING nations on par with what obtains in other parts of the world?

What you lack is the ability to do the right thing at the right time - introspection at a time when ACTION is needed is the height of foolishness.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by adconline(m): 10:48pm On Jan 14, 2010
I'd rather give $10 to relief efforts in Haiti than giving it to a friend who's bound to spend it on some bottles of shine shine bobo or gulder.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Ndipe(m): 11:04pm On Jan 14, 2010
You are way off base, Davidyland. Negative stereotypes or not, our help in one way or the other would help the masses and victims of natural calamity.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 12:28am On Jan 15, 2010
Take this DAVID!

Outstrip:

This is wonderful news. $2,000,000.00 raised by texting 90999 to donate $10.00 for Haiti. This shows that NOTHING IS TOO SMALL. This is encouraging and I am glad that we are able to be a part of it. Your "little" money counts.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/13/1-million-in-donations-for-haiti-via-text-message/

Nobody can still gauge the scope of the damage so donations are still being accepted.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Nicolas Sarkozy Gets 1-year Jail Term For Illegal Campaign Financing / Montana Becomes First US State To Ban Tiktok; Law Likely To Be Challenged / France To Ban Foreign Sponsorship Of Mosques; A New Plan For Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.