Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,345 members, 7,808,212 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:49 AM

Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time (8952 Views)

What Are The Bad Fuel Filter Symptoms? / New Items Alert.. Mobil 1 Oil ...prestone Coolant.... Fram Oil Filter / Mechanic Creates 2-faced Car That Can Be Driven Forward & Back At The Same Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by bee4un: 9:37am On May 24, 2017
Please folks, i need an urgent help here. My mechanic says i must change fuel filter anytime am servicing my vehicle (oil change). This is a brand new vehicle (tear rubber). It was bought 2015. I have done this for over 1 year now (changing oil filter and fuel filter every 3000km not miles).

Please help a brother out.
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by Laird(m): 10:03am On May 24, 2017
Check the car user owner manual or look online for the car manual and find out

5 Likes

Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by thebigkendo(m): 10:22am On May 24, 2017
bee4un:
Please folks, i need an urgent help here. My mechanic says i must change fuel filter anytime am servicing my vehicle (oil change). This is a brand new vehicle (tear rubber). It was bought 2015. I have done this for over 1 year now (changing oil filter and fuel filter every 3000km not miles).

Your mechanic don open shop for your head.. i doubt if any car will require changing fuel filter every 3000km.. What car are you talking about?

10 Likes

Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by FlyboyZee: 10:53am On May 24, 2017
You are the cause of your dilemma. Next time, READ! READ!! READ!!! your owner's manual. It was put in there to help you solve issues like this, without being fleeced.

If you bought the car brand new like you stated up there, then sorry to say, you have been fooling yourself all this while...

The manual combined with symbols or codes displayed on the instrument cluster will instruct you on what to do exactly. So you don't need no mecho telling you otherwise...

My advice for you is: READ! READ!! & READ!!!

19 Likes

Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by bee4un: 10:58am On May 25, 2017
Toyota Rav4
thebigkendo:

Your mechanic don open shop for your head.. i doubt if any car will require changing fuel filter every 3000km.. What car are you talking about?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by bee4un: 10:59am On May 25, 2017
I have gone through the manual but, it was not stated when to change fuel filter.
FlyboyZee:
You are the cause of your dilemma. Next time, READ! READ!! READ!!! your owner's manual. It was put in there to help you solve issues like this, without being fleeced.

If you bought the car brand new like you stated up there, then sorry to say, you have been fooling yourself all this while...

The manual combined with symbols or codes displayed on the instrument cluster will instruct you on what to do exactly. So you don't need no mecho telling you otherwise...

My advice for you is: READ! READ!! & READ!!!

1 Like

Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by bee4un: 8:08pm On May 25, 2017
So, at what KM do I need to change fuel filter?
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by nurey(m): 7:22am On May 26, 2017
bee4un:
So, at what KM do I need to change fuel filter?

Even me that my car is 17years old with 300,000km on the odometer I service my car every 6months or 8km which ever comes first, you are wasting money servicing your car at 3000km and polluting the environment.

As for the fuel filter because of our environment I did say every 2 years is OK but if you never run your tank in reserve it's something you can ignore. With the mechanics lackadaisical approach he can damage your fuel pump.

2 Likes

Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by kingreign(m): 7:29am On May 26, 2017
bee4un:

Na fuel mixed with saw dust 50:50 ratio you dey use?

11 Likes

Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by bee4un: 12:42pm On May 26, 2017
nurey:

Even me that my car is 17years old with 300,000km on the odometer I service my car every 6months or 8km which ever comes first, you are wasting money servicing your car at 3000km and polluting the environment.

As for the fuel filter because of our environment I did say every 2 years is OK but if you never run your tank in reserve it's something you can ignore. With the mechanics lackadaisical approach he can damage your fuel pump.

Thanks. I will have to stop changing my fuel filter then.
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by bee4un: 12:44pm On May 26, 2017
kingreign:
Na fuel mixed with saw dust 50:50 ratio you dey use?

Kindly advise. Stop joking with serious matter. I know how much I have spent on this.

2 Likes

Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by kingreign(m): 1:46pm On May 26, 2017
bee4un:

Kindly advise. Stop joking with serious matter. I know how much I have spent on this.
I'd NOT advice if you can't read in between the lines of the comment I wrote up there. Besides, its not my car, not my cash, I'm not the technician handling repairs of your car. You ought to be at a reputable service centre fixing your car. The company where you bought it ought to be fixing it since you claimed its bought brand new. undecided

14 Likes

Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by nakoks(m): 1:55pm On May 26, 2017
bee4un:

Thanks. I will have to stop changing my fuel filter then.

If you go this way then am sorry you will have more problems greater than the cash you are losing changing at 3000km.I am very sure the mechanic is not replacing with OEM fuel filter.My advice,get OEM filter and if you fill your tank weekly my advice is maximum yearly.If its the chinko amama(china filter) then twice yearly can suffice.This is not cast in stone tho and like kingrein said this mint baby ought to be handled by the dealer company.
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by bravolad(m): 2:44pm On May 26, 2017
bee4un:

This story of a new car does not add up. How can you have a new car and give it to a roadie to service for you. There's an OCI indicator light on your instrument cluster that reminds you when the car is due for service.

Your patronage of a kazeem, was it out of ignorance or just to save money? I'm struggling to comprehend how you spent a fortune to buy a car only to have it ruined by a quack.

Fuel pumps are not parts you just replace at will. They are only replaced when they are faulty. It's an obvious rip off by the roadie.

Just so you know, patronise a competent garage for the health of your car.

7 Likes

Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by kingreign(m): 4:09pm On May 26, 2017
bravolad:

This story of a new car does not add up. How can you have a new car and give it to a roadie to service for you. There's an OCI indicator light on your instrument cluster that reminds you when the car is due for service.

Your patronage of a kazeem, was it out of ignorance or just to save money? I'm struggling to comprehend how you spent a fortune to buy a car only to have it ruined by a quack.

Fuel pumps are not parts you just replace at will. They are only replaced when they are faulty. It's an obvious rip off by the roadie.

Just so you know, patronise a competent garage for the health of your car.

No mind him.

1 Like

Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by bee4un: 9:14pm On May 26, 2017
It was serviced by the company for some time but the charges were so high. And besides, I was not told what was removed or replaced during that period of servicing by the company. All I did was to give my brother the car whenever it's due to take to them, get it serviced, and pay for the services and then he would return it. But one day, he told me that what they are doing and collecting huge money could also be done by a mechanic workshop with less pay. I bought into it and from there... That's the story. I have learnt my lessons anyway.

1 Like

Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by timifakay(m): 9:40pm On May 26, 2017
Your car no gree spoil and man must wack.
The mechanic is only looking for a way to collect more money from you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by kingreign(m): 7:39am On May 27, 2017
bee4un:
It was serviced by the company for some time but the charges were so high. And besides, I was not told what was removed or replaced during that period of servicing by the company. All I did was to give my brother the car whenever it's due to take to them, get it serviced, and pay for the services and then he would return it. But one day, he told me that what they are doing and collecting huge money could also be done by a mechanic workshop with less pay. I bought into it and from there... That's the story. I have learnt my lessons anyway.

I know first 2 services are free in some company, while some does a free 1/2/3 year service. Depending on company. Its rather unfortunate you've voided your warranty by patronizing another technician. Locate another competent technician.
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by bravolad(m): 9:17am On May 27, 2017
bee4un:

I can understand you want to save cost but you went to an unscrupulous mechanic.

You need to read your owners manual to have an understanding of the basic components of the car including what needs to be replaced at your next OCI as well as what needs to be inspected. This gives you firm control of what to do at the mechanic.

Moreover, Internet has made information available at your finger tips through research & reading. I could almost guarantee that your Kazeem neither reads nor research. This is where you need to be better.

Depending on your location, research nairaland to identify a competent mechanic to assist you to maintain your car.
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by bee4un: 8:40pm On May 27, 2017
bravolad:

I can understand you want to save cost but you went to an unscrupulous mechanic.

You need to read your owners manual to have an understanding of the basic components of the car including what needs to be replaced at your next OCI as well as what needs to be inspected. This gives you firm control of what to do at the mechanic.

Moreover, Internet has made information available at your finger tips through research & reading. I could almost guarantee that your Kazeem neither reads nor research. This is where you need to be better.

Depending on your location, research nairaland to identify a competent mechanic to assist you to maintain your car.

Thank you for the advise
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by ignis: 7:28am On May 28, 2017
Learning...
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by kingreign(m): 7:29am On May 28, 2017
ignis:
k
kettle angry
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by Xblink(m): 7:30am On May 28, 2017
Check d condition of the ones ( fuel filter) u removed.... If its ok,... Den don't change it every time... U can skip one service...
As long as u ar using a clean fuel, u don't hv to be changing the filter every 3k .
I suspect the guy is also selling car parts so he wants more money....
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by judemeritjude(m): 7:32am On May 28, 2017
for naija no sincre mechanic,bro just change oil and oil filter, that's all, your fuel filter is in order
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by chuka5000(m): 7:33am On May 28, 2017
bee4un:

first u have to know the oil u use and how many miles u should do before changing. rav4 specified oil is supposed to do 5k miles (not kilometers) before changing.

abeg where the fuel filter dey. it's normally with the fuel pump in the fuel tank. which one una dey change. abi na Peugeot 504 with old school fuel filter u get?
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by Exponental(m): 7:35am On May 28, 2017
3000km not bad for changing oil but for fuel filter, that mechanic is now a dealer on you!
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by emi14: 7:41am On May 28, 2017
Always follow professional advice from your mechanic/automobile engineers. Naira land car owners can't help you as some claimers here didn't own any car.

2 Likes

Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by Nobody: 7:41am On May 28, 2017
nurey:

How can changing fuel filter damage fuel pump?
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by Deem: 7:43am On May 28, 2017
Yes that is the best practice
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by Nobody: 7:43am On May 28, 2017
kingreign:

I know first 2 services are free in some company, while some does a free 1/2/3 year service. Depending on company. Its rather unfortunate you've voided your warranty by patronizing another technician. Locate another competent technician.

You can never void your warranty by not going to a dealership.
Re: Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time by MrMcJay(m): 7:47am On May 28, 2017
EgunMogaji:

You can never void your warranty by not going to a dealership.

Nigeria is a different kettle of fish entirely.

It would interest you to know that a very popular luxury vehicles dealership in Nigeria which was once implicated in a money laundering case sells used vehicles as new ones to its customers.

What it does is that when organizations are buying in bulk say 10 units of Landcruiser, they bring 4 brand new and 6 used. They usually bribe purchasing officers of their patron organizations to commit this crime. The vehicles they usually supply used ones are Hilux and Hiace.

Done it to some Landcruiser and Range supplied to some bank EDs that I'm aware of.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres / Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. / Honda's Mean Mower Is Set To Become The World’s Fastest Lawnmower

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.