Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,918 members, 7,802,983 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:28 AM

Duty Calls [ Tales From Treeland] - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Duty Calls [ Tales From Treeland] (463 Views)

HAUNTED. Tales From Dark Nights. / Tales Of A College Boy / Duty Calls [Tales From Treeland] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Duty Calls [ Tales From Treeland] by dodelight(m): 8:55pm On May 24, 2017
Just like every freshman in an Ivory Tower or any stranger who is a first timer in a city with high towers: every soul you meet seems elevated beyond your rank; each passerby on whom confidence is evident appeared better placed; and your little courage shrinks at the sight of all who notice your missteps. Oh, I remember! My first visit to Brass, a coastal city in Treeland West and better developed than Cleote where I live. I needed a ride to the Seed Royal Mall. Having walked a few minutes through a narrow path from the terminus, I found myself standing by a road wider than any I'd ever seen in Cleote. All carriages (they call them automobiles here) were going in one direction- south of Brass. I didn't know the Royal Mall was situated north and I didn't ask. All I noticed was vehicular movement in one direction. The road being a hillside was guarded with rails on the other side. I had thought the rails were fences to the adjoining thick bushes. From after the bush, though I couldn't see through, I could hear some rustling winds like of speeding automobiles. I had spent about an hour hailing 'carriages' calling "Royal Mall!" but none stopped for me. Then a boy of about 10, very rude and crude, came to me. "Mister! Royal Mall is north." He pointed, "Cross to the other side, find a way down the hill and through the bush and hail vehicles going north." He concluded instructively and walked away. Poor me! I was seventeen then and never knew anything called a dual carriageway nor how to ask for direction - a lesson I learnt once and for all. Duke, my protege had earlier told me of what he believed he was made of- his nature- by baring his mind concerning his dreams, his goals and what he's capable of. He believed, among other things, that he's born to lead and put things in proper coordination. No sooner he matriculated at Mount Lilly than his Life's Task found him out: he was nominated as the prefect for the set and his nomination was unopposed. The following day he was inaugurated. In the evening, he came to me and gave me the news. He was afraid he would fail at this new responsibility. His fears had stemmed from the academic burdens he must bear as the Prefect. This is the precept at Mount Lilly: if an ordained prefect excels academically, he becomes a Demonstrator which is just a step below an Assistant Lecturer. "Welcome to your Dreamedland" I said. Duke's eyes glazed with confusion. I must allay his fears. "Do one thing, and if you do it so well you will succeed." His ears tingled and I counselled: "Absorb the knowledge of your predecessors: the good, the bad, the unspoken. By the virtue of your new duty you have privileges to access people and records, study them with diligence. Also be bold enough to walk with the Nobles and intellectuals and ask them questions when needs be; be humble enough to walk with your friends and equals and attend to their questions. Above all, always remember that there are greater heights ahead, therefore live today for tomorrow. Face life with confidence and boldness; don't be afraid. Live well, Rule well, End well!" *The Wonder's Heart*

(1) (Reply)

This Guy Can Snore For The Whole Of Nigeria. Lol (big Boys Comedy) / Futile Date By ADEDOKUN THEOPHILUS / This Is Why Successful People Would Rather Succeed Slowly Than Fail Fast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.