Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,500 members, 7,781,513 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:55 PM

Jquery1.4 Released - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Jquery1.4 Released (1887 Views)

Why US Released New Design Standards For Its Websites / See What Gtbank Has Released To Its Customers As The New GAPS Portal / WHSMS - The Ultimate Bulksms Management Solution || V2.3.1 Released (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jquery1.4 Released by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jan 15, 2010
Another Version Just Got Released still killing myself on 1.3

here's the article for anyone interested.

//http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/javascript-ajax/jquery-1-4-released-the-15-new-features-you-must-know/
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by DualCore1: 1:12pm On Jan 15, 2010
pc guru:

Another Version Just Got Released still killing myself on 1.3

LoL.

Now the Pros should go through these new features and tell if still makes sense for us to finish killing ourselves with 1.3 b4 moving on to 1.4 or we should just dump 1.3 for 1.4 at once. undecided
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by yawatide(f): 1:23pm On Jan 15, 2010
Well, they are usually backwards compatible. Besides, if you are like me and reference the google repository for jquery, as opposed to uploading and downloading your own personal copies, it shouldn't be a problem.

It's a major release, yes but it shouldn't affect the core of the "language".
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by DualCore1: 1:26pm On Jan 15, 2010
And when google crashes, yawa crashes grin

Inasmuch as that's a joke, that's a possibility. tongue
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jan 15, 2010
so let's imagine google server or repository fails(if), what happens to your script it wouldn't kill to add less 300kb in ur folder, @at Dual Core that's why i added the link for anyone that wants to try it out,
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by yawatide(f): 2:27pm On Jan 15, 2010
and playing devil's advocate, what is the likelihood of one of google's many servers crashing versus yours crashing?  cool

And when google crashes, yawa crashes  Grin

Inasmuch as that's a joke, that's a possibility.  Tongue

Possibility: 0.001%.  Inasmuch as that's a joke: 1000% (good one by the way, he he)

pc guru: There is something called, "graceful degradation". In other words, whenever you are writing your javascript code, you have to assume that someone will be using a device that either doesn't support javascript or has it turned off by default.  By gracefully degrading, your module will work regardless.  Maybe you should check the term out.

Thanks for posting the news though. It was very much appreciated wink

1 Like

Re: Jquery1.4 Released by DualCore1: 2:45pm On Jan 15, 2010
yawa-ti-de:

and playing devil's advocate, what is the likelihood of one of google's many servers crashing versus yours crashing?  cool

Google's has a higher chance. grin

Greater publicity, higher chance.
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jan 15, 2010
Hmmmm "graceful degradation" is quite interesting never thought of off how the site might be when jscript turned off.thanks for that,will read into it. also no probs life is bout sharing
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jan 15, 2010
So if i get u well,if jscript is turned off, won't it disable all scripts both from online or local sources, [this is somehow going offtopic]
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by yawatide(f): 5:03pm On Jan 15, 2010
not off topic at all.

Let me illustrate:

Take a contact form for instance. Let's say you have front end validation. If javascript is turned off, the form still processes when you hit "submit" (graceful degradation). This won't be good however as without backend validation you could get bad data BUT the form still works.

Another example:
Take google.com and autocomplete. As you type, via AJAX (javascript is the "J" in Ajax as I am sure you know), other terms similar to what you type show up below the search field. Now, if you turn off javascript, you can still enter a search term and the form still submits (graceful degradation). This is as opposed to your text field coming up blank and you not being able to submit the form just because javascript is turned off.

Make sense?
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jan 15, 2010
Though i use Both Client and Server Validation but right now am a jquery convert so most of the form has no action except through jquery.i think i might have to change the whole thing to cater for incase Jscript is off.just going thru some articles and found a lot of things ave never thought bout, for example i have a link that contact.html# which display contact form on the same page like lightbox i can imagine if jscript is off how unresponsive that link will be, Thanks
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jan 15, 2010
so what if i write a javascript on the server side and my client jscript is off will it work or still get disabled,
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by lanbaba: 6:08pm On Jan 15, 2010
yawa said:
Besides, if you are like me and reference the google repository for jquery, as opposed to uploading and downloading your own personal copies, it shouldn't be a problem.

what does it mean to reference googlerepository for jquery?
does uploading and downloadingyour personal copies men it will be on your own server.

so what is the difference between the two and advantages of one over the other?
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jan 15, 2010
in plain words:it means loading files from a particular source other than my folders,, for example a picture of a dog is on google server,
it'll be www.google.com/images/dog.jpg

but in my own folder to access it will be locally /images/dog.jpg

so it's more of loading files external and internal
the advantage is that Google updates their code so any changes,your script will automactically use the latest one let's face before google never server crashes it'll be like me and pamela anderson making out. grin
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by DualCore1: 6:55pm On Jan 15, 2010
pc guru:

so what if i write a javascript on the server side and my client jscript is off will it work or still get disabled,

I don't understand what you mean by writing javascript on the serverside however I want to add this.
Even if the javascript is carrying the Presidential seal (of US ofcourse not Nigeria, we don't have a president. . .how much more a seal) it won't run as long as javascript is turned off or disabled by the browser tongue
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by yawatide(f): 7:13pm On Jan 15, 2010
There was, at least in the late 90s, a language known as Server Side Javascript. Whether it is still in existence or not though, is another matter. If it is, the fact that it is server side would mean that it would be unaffected by a user turning off javascript in their browser. Why? Because, technically, a user has no control over a server wink
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by DualCore1: 7:17pm On Jan 15, 2010
B'but. . . angry

Ok, wait first let me read up on this serverside thing and confirm it is not what i think it is.
brb
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by DualCore1: 7:26pm On Jan 15, 2010
ya ya ya wateva angry grin angry

Yawa I think its time you should confess. Me thinks its about 10 pipz running this yawa-ti-de ID. Y'all take shifts

Would like to know something you don't know angry

The "you" above is referring to the 10 yawaz running this ID tongue
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by lanbaba: 8:19pm On Jan 15, 2010
am so sorry to go off topic or maybe i should open another thread for this.

pc guru said:
so it's more of loading files external and internal
the advantage is that Google updates their code so any changes,your script will automactically use the latest one let's face before google never server crashes.

if for example, i want a script that will swap pictures two pictures every 15 seconds on my page. is it that if i reference google repository as yawa said, i will own the pictures but the script will belong to/will be written by google and will also reside on their server. so anytime my page is loaded, the script will be called from their server.

if this is the case, does that mean the page will load faster since part of the script runnng it(the page) is from another server(of course a fast one-mighty google server)?

and if google updates their codes----what does this mean? why should? and what effect would it have? thanks
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by yawatide(f): 8:26pm On Jan 15, 2010
ya ya ya wateva Angry Grin Angry

Yawa I think its time you should confess. Me thinks its about 10 pipz running this yawa-ti-de ID. Y'all take shifts Huh

Would like to know something you don't know Angry

The "you" above is referring to the 10 yawaz running this ID Tongue

Well, you got me dual grin

Yes there are 10 people running the "yawa" ID - 1 for each year of experience that I have, working in a corporate and personal setting. Remember, as I have said before, the key to success in our field is constant reading to keep yourself abreast of the latest. I may not have used a particular technology or language but I am at least familiar with them. I just got off the phone with someone looking for a webmaster. He asked what CMS I use and I said joomla. He asked why. And I laid it on him the pluses and minuses over drupal. Now, I have never coded in drupal but I know enough about it from reading to know that joomla is better, at least for what I do with it.

So congrats dual. You finally got me cool
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by DualCore1: 8:28pm On Jan 15, 2010
lanbaba:

if for example, i want a script that will swap pictures two pictures every 15 seconds on my page. is it that if i reference google repository as yawa said, i will own the pictures but the script will belong to/will be written by google and will also reside on their server. so anytime my page is loaded, the script will be called from their server.
The jQuery script can handle that and a lot of other complex effects. The jQuery script is like any other Javascript script in the sense that it has to run from somewhere.
Normally we put our scripts on our site's servers. What google has done in this case is that the script has been put on their server what is left is for us to call the script from our own pages. This doesn't mean google does the whole coding of that effect for you.

As for your other questions raised. About the page loading faster, it depends on which is better . . .your server or google's (i don't intend to get into that kinda server competition  tongue)

About updating their codes. Yea, the latest updates will always be on google's server. So if there's any update, you wont need to go running through all ur sites to reflect the change.

Hope these help.
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by DualCore1: 8:29pm On Jan 15, 2010
yawa-ti-de:

So congrats dual. You finally got me cool
Yes!
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by yawatide(f): 8:33pm On Jan 15, 2010
lanbaba:

Dual has said it all.  By the way, just in case you are wondering, the concept is called, "Distributed networks" wink

Some companies even take it a step further by hosting their CSS, JS and Image files on separate servers hosted by companies that specialize in just that.  An example would be Akamai.  If you go to the site of some big corps and as the page is loading you see something like, "loading from akamai (ellipses)), then you know you are hitting another server for those.  The advantage is, as already noted, you transfer the bandwidth (and cost) of hosting files to another server.  

As a real-life example, I know of a company that pre-distributed networks, expereinced 500+GB in traffic per day.  By moving their CSS, JS and images to akamai, they reduced the bandwidth to 240GB per day.  Impressive, isn't it? grin
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by DualCore1: 8:40pm On Jan 15, 2010
yawa-ti-de:

the concept is called, "Distributed networks" wink

what da. . . angry

Hmmm the bandwidth saving idea, makes sense.
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by yawatide(f): 8:57pm On Jan 15, 2010
Sorry to keep popping up with these terms and explanations, dual tongue

he he, of course it does make sense. You think it is like some of our sites that, at most, get 5 - 10 hits a day? LMAO!
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by lanbaba: 9:10pm On Jan 15, 2010
thanks guys; really learning alot

talking about speed,
if your server(server A) has the same speed as google's server(server B).
and your page takes 30 seconds to download( your page and script resides on your serverA).
if you were hosting with google(server B) (page and script), seem serverA ad serverB have
the same speed it means it will take 30 secs also to display the page(page and script now)
from server B,
ie since features of serverA=features of serverB, therefore download tine of serverA=download time of serverB

Question:if the page resides on serverA and the script resides on serverB,
will it now take less than 30sec to display everything, since its been shared?
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by DualCore1: 9:15pm On Jan 15, 2010
Its just the script that stays on google's server. Your pages stay on your own server.

lanbaba:

Question:if the page resides on serverA and the script resides on serverB,
will it now take less than 30sec to display everything, since its been shared?
No it wont take less time. It will take equal time to pull down content from both servers if they are of same spec and speed (and other factors like distance).
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by yawatide(f): 10:35pm On Jan 15, 2010
Wow! I think I need some sugar. I haven't been challenged in math in a long time cool

Here is what I would say (probably matches exactly what dual just said):

Assuming google server = your server (which I doubt but will play along): If you have jquery on your server and it takes 30s and you have your own page, less jquery.js, that loads in 30s. Your page will load in 1 minute. If the jquery resides on google's server on the other hand, your page still loads in 1 minute. The difference? You are saving your server from "suffering" for 30s as the load is now on google's end. Also, don't forget that there is an added benefit: Suppose you need to upgrade your jquery for another project on the site. That means you would have to download it, upload it to your server, reference it and test. With it being on google's end, you have saved yourself 90% of the process. Make sense?

I usually test my sites for speed here: http://websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

check it out and good luck
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by lanbaba: 11:25pm On Jan 15, 2010
really get the concept. you will write your script and send it to google's server. right? so if there is an update it automatically detects it and update it without your interference. are updates carried out so often?

also how can i get already prepared scipt

@yawa: 30s--------sounds like an engineer, i wrote the wrong thing(30sec)
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by DualCore1: 11:30pm On Jan 15, 2010
Yes!
Note though, you wont need to send the jQuery script to google as the owners of the script have already put the scripts there.
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by lanbaba: 11:54pm On Jan 15, 2010
Dual, do you mean you can only use already prepared scripts? as in you cant prepare your own script and use through their server
Re: Jquery1.4 Released by yawatide(f): 11:57pm On Jan 15, 2010
no. google only hosts the jquery.js (the parent code). the jquery code you write/the jquery plug in you upload, is hosted on your site. google doesn't control your code, only the jquery.js code. got it?

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Web Designing! / Wordpress Gurus Needed: Help Me Design My Site (negociation) / How Much Will It Cost To Design And Host And Run This Site..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.