Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

Obasanjo: Why Boko Haram Became A Monster - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: Why Boko Haram Became A Monster (598 Views)

Olujonwo Obasanjo: Why I Am Supporting Buhari – Obasanjo’s Son / Why Boko Haram Will Continue Attacks – Osinbajo / Obasanjo: Why I Appointed Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Finance Minster (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo: Why Boko Haram Became A Monster by PMBNG(m): 7:57am On May 25, 2017
OLUSEGUN Obasanjo, former president, on Wednesday, said the Boko Haram insurgency became a monster because it was not adequately addressed right from its infancy stage.

He said this on Wednesday at a workshop on the prevention of violent extremism in Abuja.

Obasanjo said violent extremism often festers as a result of indifference on the part of constituted authority.

He noted that Niger Delta militants were once regular people who had grievances which no one paid attention to.

“Violent extremism does not just spring overnight. For me, each of us has some form of extremism in us. What then makes extremism go violent? This happens when grievances are not immediately addressed,” he said.

“They go violent when they are left unaddressed or untreated. I want to illustrate with two or three examples. The militants in the Niger Delta did not start as militants. They started as people who felt they were not getting what they deserved within the economic and social millieu of Nigeria.

“I went as the Nigerian President and I was shocked about what I saw of the oil companies and the settlements of natives, where they had no water, no electricity, and no road. Their poverty was not addressed.

“When they failed to get attention and get their situation addressed, violence became part of their solution. The solution lies in developing that community.

“Also, the Boko Haram insurgents that are raging now, was started by Mohammed Yusuf who was normal, learned in Islamic religion and a good orator and preacher. When he was confronted with the poverty and lack of job opportunity for his followers, he decided to try and find a solution.

“What should we have as our narrative today? I have always maintained that it should be the stick and carrot approach. We did not have a stitch-in-time for the Boko Haram. It has festered and gone beyond Maiduguri and Nigeria and we have a monster. If we had tamed it much earlier with the right narrative, with the right action, the story might have been different.”

The workshop was organised by the Club De Madrid, European Union Delegation, Stop Violent Extremism Madrid + 10, Partnership Against Violent Extremism and the Counter Terrorism Centre.

http://www.socialtimesng.net/2017/05/obasanjo-boko-haram-monster/

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: Why Boko Haram Became A Monster by phyllosilicate(m): 8:05am On May 25, 2017
Never take a monster for a ride.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: Why Boko Haram Became A Monster by PMBNG(m): 8:06am On May 25, 2017
Re: Obasanjo: Why Boko Haram Became A Monster by CIOSYLVA(m): 8:16am On May 25, 2017
Am sure u heard about that name Boko Haram during ur tenure but u don't want to join issues with the Arewas and u quickly rushed to the Fisher men and kill dem mama by timaya and brought Ebere through programmed Yaradua to treat boko haram but his name goes with him.. "Ebere"

Obasanjo... playing Nigeria like ludo
Re: Obasanjo: Why Boko Haram Became A Monster by JideAmuGiaka: 8:36am On May 25, 2017
Who was the president during the time of Yusuf their leader?.

You were the president in 2002 when Mohammed Yusuf formed Boko haram, in 2009 Yusuf was shot dead under Yar'Adua and his killing without trial angered his group and they become a monster and here we are blaming GEJ.

Obasanjo you must be such a fool to allow this terror group to be formed under your government.
Re: Obasanjo: Why Boko Haram Became A Monster by anibi9674: 8:51am On May 25, 2017
this man that could not solve Niger delta violence.
Re: Obasanjo: Why Boko Haram Became A Monster by juman(m): 8:59am On May 25, 2017
Very useless old man.
Re: Obasanjo: Why Boko Haram Became A Monster by SIRmanjar(m): 9:29am On May 25, 2017
So you knew the militants where fighting for there right and you destroyed ODI..Abi you think say we don forget?YEYE OLD MAN
Re: Obasanjo: Why Boko Haram Became A Monster by Paperwhite(m): 10:13am On May 25, 2017
Very silly old cunny fox.Always shifting blames.Who was the passive president when Yerima started his sharia campaign? Tell me where you were when BH started? angry
Re: Obasanjo: Why Boko Haram Became A Monster by orisa37: 11:04am On May 25, 2017
GEJ surrounded himself with the likes of Ihegirika who kept incinerating the problems by Subterfuge. Should there not be a War Council made up of Retired Chiefs of staff, ex Presidents and ex Heads of State to direct current President on Matters of war? Nigeria of Igbo's, Yoruba's, Hausas, Fulanis etcetera is too big for just a Presidency to turn to Grazing land freely at its whims and caprices
Re: Obasanjo: Why Boko Haram Became A Monster by Bodexman(m): 11:20am On May 25, 2017
Is that the reason why the northern leaders couldn't tame it? They couldn't create or provide jobs for their youths despite stealing billions of the nation's wealth.

Smh, All this bokoharam stories doesn't add up if they cannot locate their past leaders houses and express their grieviances

(1) (Reply)

Can My Social Network Compete With Nairaland? Advice / The Only Thing Good About This Presidency Is Professor Yemi Osinbajo- Reno Omkri / Restructuring And Federalism: Perspective of A Lagos Lawyer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.