Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,859 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:26 AM

Old Earth Vs. Young Earth—What Are The Core Issues In The Debate? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Old Earth Vs. Young Earth—What Are The Core Issues In The Debate? (1887 Views)

See 8 Most Controversial Issues In The Church Today / If Today Is Your Last Day On Earth What Would you Do?? / Young Earth Creatiomism??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Old Earth Vs. Young Earth—What Are The Core Issues In The Debate? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:24pm On Jul 12, 2017
ichuka:

Hmmm,I have my own conviction,but let's look at Verses in Jobs word and also the 6days.
Gods work of restoration(not just the judgement I spoke earlier)mentioned by Job He says,"Which alone spreadeth out the heavens,and treadeth upon the high peaks of the sea; which maketh Arcturus,Orion,and Pleiades,and wonders without number"(Job 9:8-10)The phrase"spreadeth out the heavens"indicates God's work on the second day.God divided the waters with a firmament in their midst, and this firmament was called Heaven.So the "high peaks of the sea" probably indicates the waters above the firmament.The phrase "maketh Arcturus, Orion, and Pleiades" indicates God's work on the fourth day. The word "MAKETH" does not mean "CREATES" but "FASHIONS"God did not create stars at this time,but He fashioned anew the existing stars.In Job 9:7 it says,"Sealeth up the stars."This shows that the stars already existed.Genesis 1:16 says,"He made the stars also." This was a restoration to their condition before they were sealed.

See the thread on why I believe every Christian should be a creationist.

This is how a Christian creationist sees Job 9:8-10 that you quoted:

"Which alone spreads out the heavens, and treads upon the waves of the sea. Which makes Arcturus, Orion and Pleiades and the chambers of the south. Which does great things past finding out; yea, and wonders without number"

vs.8 talks about spreading out the heavens. From this we can see that it was created as a result of the Word of God and not a primeval explosion or big bang as many theorists believe. It also suggests the expanding of the universe or the infinitely expanding of space.

Vs.9 also speaks of "maketh Arcturus" by this it is confirmed that God did not only create and named the stars but also created the constellations (See Job 38:31-33).

These all refer to God's creation not recreation as you have been led to believe by the Gap theorists.

ichuka:

Brief discussion on the "6Days"
1.In Genesis(1:3)God began His work of restoration.He called out for light because the face of the deep was dark,and this light divided the light from the darkness.There was light before, and now light came back.We now understands that besides the sun there are other sources of light.Light is an energy from an unknown source that produces vibrations of the ether around the universe.(Of course, the light that we now see relates to the burning of the sun as well as other sources of light.)
Concerning this point,they are fully in darkness; but faith knows."And God said, Let there be light: and there was light" (Gen. 1:3).It does not say that light was created or brought into being by God on the first day. Light has not existed for merely six thousand years.Before light came,darkness was confined to one place,the face of the deep (i.e., the whole earth).Darkness was confined to this one assigned place.When light appeared,it appeared in the same dark place,the whole earth. When God said, "Let there be light" (v. 3), the whole universe was not in darkness.God was merely commanding the light to appear on the surface of this earth.
"And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night.And the evening and the morning were the first day"(v. 5). God did not create the light here because it had existed for a long time;He just called out the light. . "And the evening and the morning were the first day" (v. 5). "Morning" was the time when the light of the first day appeared.If there were no light before the first day,then the "evening" mentioned here does not make sense.The "evening" came first, and then "the morning."If the morning indicates the time when the daylight first appeared,and if there was no light before the first day,then the evening would indicate the darkness before the light,which would be the prolonged darkness mentioned in verse 2.If that were the case, would not the first evening have been too long?If the evening of the first day was the darkness in verse 2,then the first day would have started from the darkness of the formlessness and void in Gen1:2. But Genesis clearly does not consider the formlessness and void as the first day. Hence,before the "evening" of the first day,there was light already.However, this light was not shining on the earth.God called the darkness Night, but "the evening," being different from the night, "WAS A DARKNESS UNDER CONTROL OF THE LIGHT"For this reason,light existed before "the evening" of the first day; otherwise, how could we differentiate between the evening and the morning? Furthermore, the Bible does not say that God created light on the first day; He just commanded light to appear. Where was the light from?If it was not from the earth which was without form and void and in entire darkness, it must surely have been from the beginning when God created the heaven and the earth in Gen1:1.

If you believe in special creation of God you will see in Genesis 1:1 the origin of the universe. This verse shows the concept of the special creation of the tri-universe of space, time and matter. We see the creation of space otherwise referred to as "heavens," the creation of time, as "in the beginning," and the creation of matter as in "the earth."

The Word of God speaks in Genesis 1:3 and the result is light. Not just visible light but it includes all the short and long wave radiations as well as heat, sound, electricity, magnetism, molecular interactions and so on. Even though light which is the most basic form of energy is mentioned here specifically, its existence implies the activation of all forms of electromagnetic energies. It is interesting to note that light was not created since God Himself dwells in light, however, He created darkness (Isaiah 45:7).

The existence of visible light prior to the creation of the sun, moon and stars emphasises the fact that light is more basic than light givers.

You also refered to vs.5 where the word "Day" was used for the first time in scripture. Day was specifically defined as "the light" by God and this was in the cyclical succession of light and darkness which has ever since constituted a solar day. Remember that God is light.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Old Earth Vs. Young Earth—What Are The Core Issues In The Debate? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:34pm On Jul 12, 2017
ichuka:

We should know that each of the six days is a twenty-four hour day.In the Bible a day is often used to represent a period of time,such as"the day of the Lord,"etc.But the six days are not six periods.No christain without preconceived opinions would consider these as periods of time.Whenever the Bible uses "day" to stand for a period,there is no numerical indication associated with it.If there is a number before the day,it must indicate the time of one revolution of the earth. Furthermore, it clearly states "the evening and the morning were the first day" (v. 5). Combining evening and morning as the first day is an indication of a twenty-four hour day. Moreover, God later established a Sabbath, according to His own rest on the seventh day.The Sabbath in Exodus 20 is a twenty-four hour day. If the seventh day is a twenty-four hour day,then the six preceding days must also be twenty-four hour days.Again, if we consider these six days as six geological periods, then what corresponds to the "evenings" of these geological periods, and what corresponds to the "mornings" of these periods? Furthermore, if these six days correspond to six geological periods,there would have been no grass or trees on the earth before the third period,and there would have been no animal fossils on the earth before the sixth period. But this is not the case, because there is no separation between animals and plants in the "GEOLOGICAL STRATA"below the surface of the earth. If the six days were six long periods,then Adam,who was created in the sixth period, would have had to live a long time in paradise before he could have committed sin.Moses, who wrote the book of Genesis,had no thought of using days to represent periods.

You are making my point here. I hope you know that you are practically shooting against your own foot. I said that the universe was created in 6 days but you are making the presentation of how you believe the universe was created long before the 6 days. I hope you realise that?

ichuka:

We must not twist the Word of God to fit our own concept or to lessen people's attack.If we explain the Bible according to our own idea, we will be blamed by others and also put the Holy Scripture in jeopardy.With these proofs we must conclude that these six days were just six days and not six periods.Our God is almighty; one day is sufficient for Him to restore.There is no need for six periods.But since it pleased Him to restore the world in six days, we need to humbly observe God's work and praise His greatness.Why should we adapt ourselves to the opinion of unregenerated people? We know that if geology is correct,the period between verse 1 and verse 2 is long enough to produce all the geological formations of the earth.

If anyone at all is making a case for long periods it is you when you claim that there is an unspecified amount of time between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2 which is called the Gap theory. You are the one adding a period into were God did not add thereby adding to the Scripture. So, doctor, use your own medicine. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Old Earth Vs. Young Earth—What Are The Core Issues In The Debate? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:34pm On Jul 12, 2017
ichuka:

On the second day God commanded again.God put air in the firmament to divide the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament.God separated the waters on the earth from the moisture of the atmosphere.Again,the scientists ought to praise this beautiful record.This is just the phenomenon of the expansion of the air,separating the water in the atmosphere from the water below;and yet the boundary is not immovable.The atmosphere above us can be filled with moisture as recorded in the Bible.This atmosphere is not a solid reservoir to reserve water in the heaven, because verse 20 mentions "fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven."This open firmament is a region or sphere in which fowl could fly around.
"And God called the firmament Heaven" (v. cool. This "heaven" is different from the "heaven" in verse 1. "Heaven" in verse 1 denotes the whole universe with all its contents.The "heaven" in verse 8 is the "heaven" of this earth.The "heaven" in verse 1 did not deteriorate; only our earth and its celestial position were changed from its original condition due to God's judgment.

I'm already struggling to read and understand you because of the way you post but if I am to make sense of what you are trying to say I believe you are referring to the expanse in verse 8.

ichuka:

God saw His works and considered that they were good on five of the six days. After the second day,the words "and God saw that it was good" were not mentioned.Does the Word of God overlook this day? "NO"the words which God omits are just as meaningful as the words He speaks.Every word and every phrase of the Bible is inspired by God.This omission has something to do with Satan. He is the ruler of the authority of the air (Eph. 2:2).The demons under him are the "spiritual forces of evil in the heavenlies" (Eph. 6:12). God probably saw the air as the dwelling place of Satan and his demons.That is why He did not say that "it was good". Since the air is the headquarters of the kingdom of darkness, most of Satan's work starts from the air.Therefore, when we come together to meet or pray,we should ask God to cleanse the atmosphere with the precious blood of the Lord,in order that we may not be oppressed by Satan.

"And God saw everything that He had made, and, behold, it was very good" (Genesis 1:31).

This verse cancels all your interpretation (Gap theory) which seeks to accommodate a gap where there are none. The verse also shows that your theory that says that some days were not good as erroneous. There is no gap and there is no omission, all that God created from the very beginning was perfect, there was no evil in the heavenlies as you surmised during the 6 days of creation.

6 times before this chapter God had adjudged His work to be "good." And after He completed everything, even the host of heaven (Gen.2:1), He declared it all to be "very good."

The Gap theory that you propose, that places the geological ages before the creation week, and the day age (periods) or progressive creation theory implies that God is either a bumbler or a monster. Even the devil himself with all the host of heaven who later followed him in rebelling against God, was still perfect in all his ways (Ezekiel 28:15) at the end of the creation week. Satan's fall from heaven to earth could only have happened after God's universal "very good" proclamation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Old Earth Vs. Young Earth—What Are The Core Issues In The Debate? by ichuka(m): 12:47am On Jul 15, 2017
Bro you are giving me a hard time.
Will come back on this later next week,very busy now.cherish my course(Geology)though I love our Father more.
The bible is very complete.all errors of interpretation is from man.
Will definitely respond by His Grace.
Re: Old Earth Vs. Young Earth—What Are The Core Issues In The Debate? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:50pm On Jul 15, 2017
ichuka:

Bro you are giving me a hard time.
Will come back on this later next week,very busy now.cherish my course(Geology)though I love our Father more.
The bible is very complete.all errors of interpretation is from man.
Will definitely respond by His Grace.

You will soon find out that "the Gap Theory" is from man. I wish you good success in your studies. smiley
Re: Old Earth Vs. Young Earth—What Are The Core Issues In The Debate? by ichuka(m): 10:35pm On Jul 15, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

You will soon find out that "the Gap Theory" is from man. I wish you good success in your studies. smiley
Ok bro,will definitely do.but,we all have to be objective in this regards.because His words are always pure and perfect.errors are always from the channels/interpretation of same Word.which is us.
Re: Old Earth Vs. Young Earth—What Are The Core Issues In The Debate? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:33pm On Jul 26, 2017
ichuka:

Ok bro,will definitely do.but,we all have to be objective in this regards.because His words are always pure and perfect.errors are always from the channels/interpretation of same Word.which is us.

Have I not been objective in my responses so far?
Re: Old Earth Vs. Young Earth—What Are The Core Issues In The Debate? by ichuka(m): 1:20am On Jul 27, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Have I not been objective in my responses so far?
You are,but will continue when compelled to do so.
It's a life time exercise you know.will continue when am lead.
Re: Old Earth Vs. Young Earth—What Are The Core Issues In The Debate? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:52pm On Aug 09, 2017
ichuka:

You are,but will continue when compelled to do so.
It's a life time exercise you know.will continue when am lead.

Alright, I wish you good success in your studies. smiley

1 Like

Re: Old Earth Vs. Young Earth—What Are The Core Issues In The Debate? by ichuka(m): 4:19pm On Aug 09, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Alright, I wish you good success in your studies. smiley
Thanks bro
Same here

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rccg Sunday School 20th August, 2017 / How To Avoid Lateness To Church Tomorrow Being Sunday / Truth About Religions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.