Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:19 PM

Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi (8587 Views)

Times World Universities Rankings 2020: See How African Universities Fared / Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked / China Opens World’s Coolest Library With 1.2 Million Books (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by sunky97: 4:29pm On May 27, 2017
www.Tellmystory.com.ng Came across a young and dynamic Philip Alabi, a Nigerian with a strong vision for helping Nigerian and African students to access resources needed in their quest for learning.

Who is Philip Alabi

Philip Alabi , a graduate student of Chemistry at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (from May 2016-March 2017) who was also the first to run a book drive to deliver over 1000 books from SIUE to his Alma-mater, – Tai Solarin University of Education, Nigeria. The idea, according to him, started when he noticed how many books are thrown away every year by American universities. He decided to collect them, raise some funds, and send them to his home school.

About efiwe.org

Efiwe is a non-profit organization based in the US that hopes to collect relevant post-secondary textbooks and send them to tertiary institution libraries in Africa. This is to help students gain access to resources needed and increase the quality of education received in these institutions. The need for access to relevant resources like books, equipment, journals etc. are fundamental to educational institutions and their success.
Any current or past student in public African tertiary institution will immediately see the utter lack of resources and the student’s struggle to seek knowledge amidst this lack of resources. efiwe.org is a non-profit organization that was initiated in March 2017 to give African post-secondary institution students access to the relevant materials needed for success in their tertiary education. With a mission to send over one million (1,000,000) books to African post-secondary Institution libraries by 2030, The goals are fixed.

In the words of the founder, Philip Alabi – “My ultimate desire will be to see these books in the hands of a student (back home) enjoying the read and learning new things from the texts, illustrations and pictures displayed. The lasting social and economic change that comes from more Africans knowing better is what I seek to achieve.”
efiwe.org was conceived after a similar book drive ran by the founder Philip Alabi saw the delivery of about 800 books from the US to Tai Solarin University of Education (his alma mater). He has ever since been motivated to attempt similar feat but with more scale and reach. efiwe.org aims to have student organizations all over the US conduct book drives and send these books to different tertiary institutions in Africa.
Current needs of the project are listed below: ·
Recruiting more volunteers in the US for book collection and recruiting volunteers as writers (location doesn’t matter) ·
Recruiting volunteers in Africa for logistics and reaching out to institutions ·
Forging partnerships with tertiary institutions ·
Forging partnerships with corporations and organizations for delivery of the goals of efiwe.org and value exchange.
See efiwe.org to read more.

Read More:

http://tellmystory.com.ng/why-i-want-to-send-one-million-books-to-african-university-libraries-by-2030-with-efiwe-org-philip-alabi/

The aim of efiwe.org is to collect books here in the US and send to tertiary Institution libraries in Africa Our strategy is to collect the books here and upload the book details to a platform online (currently being built by 11 volunteer developers in Nigeria), the books will then be accessed and selected by Tertiary Institutions in Africa. Then there will be fund raising and the selected books will be shipped to selected African University libraries.
Who will collect the books in the US? The books will be collected by running book drives in US Universities. The book drives will be run by a student organization separately registered in the US University for this goal.

Please feel free to reach us +13123990694 | whatsapp: +16182160266 |+2347039818617 info@efiwe.org, www.efiwe.org, @efiwengo(twitter)https://www.facebook.com/efiweNGO/

http://tellmystory.com.ng/why-i-want-to-send-one-million-books-to-african-university-libraries-by-2030-with-efiwe-org-philip-alabi/

15 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by Nobody: 4:48pm On May 27, 2017
Do you mean to say philip lahm adesina op
Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by sunky97: 10:07pm On Jun 19, 2017
Lam ko Lam ni !!!!
Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by deepwater(f): 7:23am On Jun 20, 2017
The idea that a discarded material from an institution of learning is to be sent back to Africa for student to study is very worrisome.

It is safe to say that the content of the material is outdated and irrelevant to today's knowledge, is there any point studying such?

Phillip you have tried, but painfully, back home here, the little ones wouldn't read anymore, they simply just want to sa'se (whatever that means angry)

Modified
DemonMonkey7:
funny enough my dear, is the fact you've ignored that' knowledge can never be outdated, you have to get the basics first then you build on what existed before, how would this happen when you see reasons why these precious materials should remain discarded... meanwhile What book are u currently reading?oh Nigerians dont read!

When you decide to study someone else's garbage, you end up playing catch up and you can never lead the park, because that is all there is - trying to meet up!
Your school of thought about building on what existed before is not new to me, we have analyzed this in many technical management symposiums, it is a very good recipe to remain a third world country.

What we need is indigenous ideas, not imitation and trying to re-invent the wheel.

As you have asked, i am on Modern control system by Richard Dorf & Robert Bishop 10th edition. Do not worry about it, it is not a pacesetters novel nor Mills and Boons...

14 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:23am On Jun 20, 2017
Thanks and God bless

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by NextGovernor(m): 7:23am On Jun 20, 2017
Don't waste your time my friend. Nigerians don't read books. They can't even exercise patient to read 1 paragraph not to talk of a whole book.

Nigerians only read to pass or during presentation.

9 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by lokotamak(m): 7:24am On Jun 20, 2017
OK.
Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by Addicted2Women: 7:24am On Jun 20, 2017

Who is this guy ??

We Africans should be the one to donate books to you

We can buy our own damn books

Does he even know how many Universities we have in Africa and how many students are in those Universities
Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by nairalandbuzz(m): 7:24am On Jun 20, 2017
Many of you might call this a nice concept but to me,but is taking Tai Solarin University or so further backwards...

For them to throw away the books, it means they are outdated or the information in them has been surpassed...

What they need is very cheap Internet in Terrabytes like China and Japan where they deliver 1TB to homes and stable electricity not old outdated books.

12 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by africandollar: 7:25am On Jun 20, 2017
Great initiative! But remember sending the books is one thing but getting Africans to read is another thing. Like the whites say, if you want to hide anything from a black man, keep it in a book!

2 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by kelechiodo(m): 7:25am On Jun 20, 2017
Oh well done sir. It pains whenever you visit any of these American universities and see they way they dump books waiting for someone to take as much as possible. I always ask myself, how can I move these to Nigeria? Well done sir for having the same dream and working towards it.

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by Alisegun(m): 7:25am On Jun 20, 2017
Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by Nobody: 7:25am On Jun 20, 2017
Students will still spend more time with their phones than in the Library

2 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by free2ryhme: 7:25am On Jun 20, 2017
Are those books useful and compatible with the learning curriculum or you just wan dump used becos wey oyinbo don throw away for here

Nigeria is not dumping ground grin

9 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by KINGwax007(m): 7:25am On Jun 20, 2017
The reason u want to sell one million books to African universities is because u want to be a billionaire!
Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by loverofgoodtins(m): 7:26am On Jun 20, 2017
I
Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by arabaribiti(m): 7:26am On Jun 20, 2017
God bless you brother please send the book to all part of Nigeria
Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by iamthetruth: 7:26am On Jun 20, 2017
Congrats for saying nothing even after being ftc...Afonja dey smell
Luxuryconsult:
Do you mean to say philip lahm adesina op

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by kingphilip(m): 7:29am On Jun 20, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
isn't the phone more profitable than the books??

Tell me what's in the books and I'll tell you what needs to be added

Google will do more good than those expired books worth nothing from its source

3 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by mexyk(m): 7:30am On Jun 20, 2017
QueenOfNepal:

That is why we need to provide them access to e books and not paper books. paper books are already phasing out. once they done with their paper books over there, they send them down to us to use. mostly old knowledge.
Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by kelechiodo(m): 7:30am On Jun 20, 2017
free2ryhme:
Are those books useful and compatible with the learning curriculum or you just wan dump used becos wey oyinbo don throw away for here

Nigeria is not dumping ground grin
Yes, they are very useful. USA libraries have limited number of books they are meant to carry. Additional ones are dump outside for people to collect. You can take as much as u want.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by yommen: 7:31am On Jun 20, 2017
Addicted2Women:

Who is this guy ??

Does he even know how many Universities we have in Africa and how many students are in those Universities

Just listen to yourself!!! Is there sense in what you have typed at all? No wonder! Your name says it all!

3 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by noble71(m): 7:31am On Jun 20, 2017
Bro. don't go and waste your money Africans don't like reading books. They prefer BBNaija

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by Addicted2Women: 7:32am On Jun 20, 2017
yommen:

Just listen to yourself!!! Is there sense in what you have typed at all? No wonder! Your name says it all!

I'm sorry, i don't talk to fatherless kids

2 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by Ajewealth123(m): 7:32am On Jun 20, 2017
Nice gesture

Meanwhile
Apple MacBook + (Air mouse N3,000 + Power Adapter -N10,000)" = 55k
Features; Core 2 Duo" 2Ghz 13-Inch (NVIDIA) features a 45 nm "Penryn" 2.0 GHz Intel "Core 2 Duo" processor (P7350), with two independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip, a 3 MB shared "on chip" level 2 cache, a 1066 MHz frontside bus, 2 GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) installed in pairs (two 1 GB modules), a 120.0 GB Serial ATA (5400 RPM) hard drive, an 8X DL "SuperDrive", a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M "graphics processor with 256 MB of SDRAM shared with main memory", and a 13.3" widescreen TFT active-matrix "glossy" display (1280x800 native resolution).
55k non negotiable

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by Nobody: 7:33am On Jun 20, 2017
kingphilip:
isn't the phone more profitable than the books??

Tell me what's in the books and I'll tell you what needs to be added

Google will do more good than those expired books worth nothing from its source
.I concur
Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by Nobody: 7:35am On Jun 20, 2017
KINGwax007:
The reason u want to sell one million books to African universities is because u want to be a billionaire!
Suntunu he is donating d books a.k.a giving them FREE. I advise you to pick one for yourself when the next batch reach naija.

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by Horbah1(m): 7:38am On Jun 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWI9-573m2M

Attention!!!Don't just know what to call this...Watch how CCC members dance to FALL ( so rhythmic) by Davido
Watch, like, share and subscribe to the channel for more
Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by KINGwax007(m): 7:44am On Jun 20, 2017
Henryyy:

Suntunu he is donating d books a.k.a giving them FREE. I advise you to pick one for yourself when the next batch reach naija.
mumu...did u knw anything about NGO?

there are donors and donors donates money for charity to be called charity!

Ever seen a standard NGO owner being poor?

I advise u get a book for yourself too bro...

2 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by Chukazu: 7:48am On Jun 20, 2017
nairalandbuzz:
Many of you might call this a nice concept but to me,but is taking Tai Solarin University or so further backwards...

For them to throw away the books, it means they are outdated or the information in them has been surpassed...

What they need is very cheap Internet in Terrabytes like China and Japan where they deliver 1TB to homes and stable electricity not old outdated books.

You may call them outdated but the ones in our universities are more outdated... And if you compare the ones down here with the discarded ones in US ;The discarded would be current here

But then I think the best idea would be to have an e- library that can connect to any university library portal in the world and then have access to those libraries, instead of spending millions to ship books down to Africa

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by ak22(m): 7:51am On Jun 20, 2017
Addicted2Women:

Who is this guy ??

Good morning everyone .pls permit to ask this man (addicted2woman) some question.
(1) is the book for sale ?
(2) is the guy a politician?
(3) what contribution have you ever contribute to your community before and how old are you ? I believe all these questions are no . sir learn how to appreciate good things and learn how to encourage good things also . if it's one senator in your area that said this you will praise him very well .
Bro change your way .

3 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi by Nobody: 7:59am On Jun 20, 2017
KINGwax007:
mumu...did u knw anything about NGO?

there are donors and donors donates money for charity to be called charity!

Ever seen a standard NGO owner being poor?

I advise u get a book for yourself too bro...
Baba no dey contradict yourself u just said he wants to sell books to African unis as if them go pay am.Read and understand.Haba.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Funai Matriculates Over 2, 000 Students / NECO Timetable For 2019 June/july SSCE Exam - Download PDF / Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.