Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA (3805 Views)

Nigeria Facing Another Secessionist Movement In Southwest Region - Icons News / Boko Haram Members Catching Fun - VOA (Throwback Video) / Sanusi Lamido Sanusi Arrives Lagos - VOA Journalist, Saleh Shehu Ahmed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by papaejima1: 12:03am On May 28, 2017
On May 30, many people in southeastern Nigeria will remember those who lost their lives in one of Africa’s most brutal wars. More than one million people died during Nigeria’s 1967 to 1970 civil war known as the Biafra War The conflict erupted after leaders from southeastern Nigeria declared that the region would secede from Nigeria.

Memories of the war remain strong for those who lived through it.

“Have you been walking with somebody and the bomb killed him and all you have to do is look at the corpse and continue walking? Even if it’s your sister, you just continue walking because you’re running for dear life? Or have you been hidden in the roof of a building because you are afraid, because your mother is afraid the soldiers will come and rape you?” says 21-year-old Enuma Okoro.

“In my compound we saw several skeletons of dead people. My father’s compound was flattened. It was a war front,” says Obum Okeke, who was seven years old when the war started.

The war gained widespread global attention once pictures of starving Biafran children were published in the international media. The Nigerian government had formed a blockade, making it difficult for aid groups to reach Biafra. Many children starved and developed a severe condition that became known as kwashiorkor.

“First of all, the first thing you notice is the stomach bloated," says Christopher Ejiofor, a traditional king in his community in the southeastern state of Enugu. "The arms to the bones, the legs to the bones, the thigh to the bones, the head, skull. Can you imagine that? That is a starving a child. And that is what happened everywhere in Biafra,” he says.

The war ended with the surrender of Biafra in January 1970. Biafrans returned to Nigeria and the country once known as Biafra, ceased to exist. But in recent years, the pro-Biafra movement has resurged. Supporters say the grievances that led to the war have still not been addressed.

Poll: growing support

A survey released this week from a Nigerian research group revealed that the pro-Biafra movement is gaining support, particularly among young people who did not experience the war. The rise could also be a reaction for a region that has received little infrastructural development from the federal government.

“I am supporting it [Biafra] because that is who I am,” says senior university student Sofuru Afah. “Nigeria is an artificial creation by the British. I am not a Nigerian and I have never been and I never will. Buhari hates our people.”

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari fought against Biafra during the civil war as a young soldier. He says he will not tolerate the Biafra movement. Under Buhari’s administration, Nnamdi Kanu, leader of one of the more popular pro-Biafra groups, called IPOB, was detained in 2015 on charges of treason, criminal conspiracy and belonging to an illegal society. Kanu was released on bail last month after spending nearly two years in prison in the Nigerian capital of Abuja.

IPOB’s deputy, Uche Mefor, told VOA the Nigerian government cannot ignore the voice of Biafrans. He says May 30 will be a day for the world to recognize because pro-Biafrans will unite in peaceful resistance. Some pro-Biafrans will stay in their homes while others plan to join street rallies.

“The compliance on that day will indeed convince the world that the people of Biafra are actually ready for their self-governance. We have our right to self-existence and it doesn’t matter what anybody things about it,” he told VOA.

The Nigerian government is determined to preserve Nigeria. Speaking at a Biafra remembrance forum in Abuja this week, acting president Yemi Osinbajo said Nigeria should remain one and all Nigerians should strive to achieve an ideal Nigeria.

“We are not there yet, but I believe we have a strong chance to advance in that direction. But that will not happen if we allow our frustrations and grievances to transmute into hatred,” Osinbanjo said during the address.

But, the message of one Nigeria is too late for many people like Lawrence Akpu, a former Biafran fighter. During the war, shrapnel cut into his spinal cord. Today, he’s confined to a wheelchair. Even though he’s poor and begs for handouts, he says he doesn’t regret fighting for Biafra and will fight again.

“If we join our hands together to seek Biafra, we shall get Biafra. Because we have no place in Nigeria,” Akpu says.

Akpu joins a group of other disabled Biafra War veterans on a hot afternoon. They reminisce about the war and soon, they begin to sing the war songs that kept their spirits inspired to keep fighting.

http://www.voanews.com/a/biafran-secessionist-movement-grows-nigeria/3873873.html

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by Moreoffaith(m): 5:05am On May 28, 2017
hmmmm
Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by adadike281(f): 5:32am On May 28, 2017
Igbos have no place in Nigeria, give us our Biafra! we are d Japan of Africa, Buhari and his cohort are taking us back to the stone age . We are not one and will never be, so give us Biafra.
its not just in Nigeria, Biafra is gaining strength all over d world.

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by ozowarac: 5:34am On May 28, 2017
We are making progress, Nigeria Government has taking us for granted so long.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by TheKingdom: 5:39am On May 28, 2017
All this because Nigeria tried to force us to forget our history, even on Nairaland, banning folks here and there, forgetting that that made them even more determined to do what was right and justified.

We are tired of the Nigg.er Nation and Ni.gger Area

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by Paperwhite(m): 5:52am On May 28, 2017
No man can stop an idea whose time is come.Biafra is not Nigeria's problem but the gross injustice by a despotic region of the country.Lord separate & save us now.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by sunnysunny69(m): 5:53am On May 28, 2017
Very good luck .

1 Like

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by Agumbankembu: 6:32am On May 28, 2017
Casting aspersions online will not stop this growing movement offline.
Killing IPOB members and locking them up won't either, if Nigeria government like let them allow Nigeria descend into chaos, the other groups willing to stick with Nigeria will even leave the union entirely, better allow those who want to go, to leave, so you can make peace and manage carefully the ones who want to stay from their heart.
I don't know if you know the feeling where you want to preserve many relationships at once, and it all blows in your face, and you find out it is too late to keep them together.
Self determination is God-given right to man, drafted by UN and signed into law by many countries including Nigeria, AU also has it laws on self-preservation and self-governance of indigenous people, and Nigeria is a signatory to the AU codes.

You can't see how U.K is handling Scottish secessionist moves, and want to continue spilling blood of agitators, nature will go against you and karma will have your address, no errors.

Biafra movement is real and gaining momentum.

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by etebefia: 7:05am On May 28, 2017
Lala can you do the needful? Thank you

3 Likes

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by Nwakaumu(m): 7:14am On May 28, 2017
They will soon arrive to tell us how it is better to unite with them so that the zoo will move forward, meanwhile they have abandoned their brothers in Benin republic and Togo.funny set of people.

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by OVI75(m): 7:16am On May 28, 2017
VoA Wants Ipobxposed To Commit That Suicide He Wanted To Commit.

That Guy Sha,I Realy Blvd He Was Going to Commit Suicide Alas I Was Disappointed.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by Igboesika: 7:19am On May 28, 2017
As for the sun, it shall definitely rise again.

All stupid unity beggars should go and commit suicide and join their master in hell.

Shameless idiots.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by naijacampu(m): 7:37am On May 28, 2017
We can get even stronger because our mind is made up! Self determination is universal right enshrined in UN charter. I am a Biafran!

I got this from the article -

But, the message of one Nigeria is too late for many people like Lawrence Akpu, a former Biafran fighter. During the war, shrapnel cut into his spinal cord. Today, he’s confined to a wheelchair. Even though he’s poor and begs for handouts, he says he doesn’t regret fighting for Biafra and will fight again.

“If we join our hands together to seek Biafra, we shall get Biafra. Because we have no place in Nigeria,” Akpu says.

Akpu joins a group of other disabled Biafra War veterans on a hot afternoon. They reminisce about the war and soon, they begin to sing the war songs that kept their spirits inspired to keep fighting.
This is what I call rugged fighter, wish to meet him one day!

19 Likes

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by nwabobo: 7:41am On May 28, 2017
OVI75:
VoA Wants Ipobxposed To Commit That Suicide He Wanted To Commit.

That Guy Sha,I Realy Blvd He Was Going to Commit Suicide Alas I Was Disappointed.

Is he still alive?

What a shameful life he must be living.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by Nobody: 7:41am On May 28, 2017
grin

2 Likes

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by xcolanto(m): 7:51am On May 28, 2017
The sun rises from the east! Igbo amaka!

15 Likes

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by ekesimo(m): 7:57am On May 28, 2017
Even here on NL, the more they ban them, the more they spring out . It is an Ideology, it will never die. If a hero falls, Tens will rise in his replacement.

They re very brave and I love them

21 Likes

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by KidsNEXTdoor: 8:16am On May 28, 2017
grin grin grin Odua republic is here

9 Likes

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by IstandWitBuhari: 8:24am On May 28, 2017
Sai Biafra

1 Like

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by macluvph1(m): 8:25am On May 28, 2017
Nnamdi Kanu said by the time he finish with this nation that there will be nothing like Naija, they thought he was joking.

Right now he is building bridges, but come to think of it truth has power ooo.

Only the truth that nnamdi kanu is using to decinmate this cesspit,but this is serious and ridiculous.

God bless Nnamdi kanu, God bless lovers of freedom,justice,fairness and equality to all in every ramification.

my goodness me.

3 Likes

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by prince9851(m): 8:36am On May 28, 2017
Even voice of america is talking about Biafra
Buhari is an eternal fool

16 Likes

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by KidsNEXTdoor: 8:41am On May 28, 2017
prince9851:
land of the rising amala! grin
No dey find trouble oo sad

5 Likes

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by Nobody: 9:01am On May 28, 2017
ekesimo:
Even here on NL, the more they ban them, the more they spring out . It is an Ideology, it will never die. If a hero falls, Tens will rise in his replacement.

They re very brave and I love them
Nwanne the banning is too much sef.. I fucking hate this forum and their tribalistic stupidity.. No freedom of speech even on social network...but God pass them, whether the moderator likes it or not, Biafra is a sure Deal

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by drss2(m): 9:08am On May 28, 2017
adadike281:
Igbos have no place in Nigeria, give us our Biafra! we are d Japan of Africa, Buhari and his cohort are taking us back to the stone age . We are not one and will never be, so give us Biafra.
its not just in Nigeria, Biafra is gaining strength all over d world.
true talk.

7 Likes

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by Nobody: 9:25am On May 28, 2017
Those who can't make it in Nigeria will never make it in a smaller Biafra, there is no excuse for personal failures. Only failures clamour for a senseless change cos they've not been able to do any meaningful thing with their lives.

Nnamdi Kanu was released to avoid cries of victimization, not because he was fighting for a just cause. How can you insult a country by calling it a zoo and referring to everyone in that country as animals. In countries like China, its either the person is executed or jailed for life.

At the end of the day, if Biafra is ever actualized, which I strongly doubt cos of the numerous Igbo mouths profiting from this one Nigeria, but if it happens, what will then happen to the Igbos and their investments and properties in Lagos, Ibadan, Kano, Abuja? Will they not say they're being vicitmized and deny ever supporting Biafra?

They'll start protesting for dual citizenship right? At the end of the day, the idiots would want to eat their cakes and have it. Seal their own part away from other people as usual and keep eating from other people's zone?

The Yorubas, on the other hand, hardly invest outside the Southwest and as such are the real tribe who have nothing to lose if ever Nigeria breaks up. I dont know about the Hausas but the Yoruba nation is galant. So that mentality that some people are begging for unity is a totally mad fantasy on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by DocHMD: 9:54am On May 28, 2017
blackberlin:

Those who can't make it in Nigeria will never make it in a smaller Biafra, there is no excuse for personal failures. Only failures clamour for a senseless change cos they've not been able to do any meaningful thing with their lives.

Nnamdi Kanu was released to avoid cries of victimization, not because he was fighting for a just cause. How can you insult a country by calling it a zoo and referring to everyone in that country as animals. In countries like China, its either the person is executed or jailed for life.

At the end of the day, if Biafra is ever actualized, which I strongly doubt cos of the numerous Igbo mouths profiting from this one Nigeria, but if it happens, what will then happen to the Igbos and their investments and properties in Lagos, Ibadan, Kano, Abuja? Will they not say they're being vicitmized and deny ever supporting Biafra?

They'll start protesting for dual citizenship right? At the end of the day, the idiots would want to eat their cakes and have it. Seal their own part away from other people as usual and keep eating from other people's zone?

The Yorubas, on the other hand, hardly invest outside the Southwest and as such are the real tribe who have nothing to lose if ever Nigeria breaks up. I dont know about the Hausas but the Yoruba nation is galant. So that mentality that some people are begging for unity is a totally mad fantasy on nairaland.

The usual overbeaten, worn-out one-nigerianist cry from an ewedu mouth.

23 Likes

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by Blackfire(m): 10:09am On May 28, 2017
All thanks to seun NL and buhari 's handling of the issue... Now they are seen as victims that is been bullied, the picture they want the world to see... And y'all played right into it.. Wait for the face 2 ,because 2018-19 is going to be interesting.

I was supposed to travel to onitsha tomorrow I was told S. E will be on locked down not by police or federal order but a synergy of growing support.

I may not support biafra, but you all are making them attractive.

7 Likes

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by whirlwind7(m): 10:28am On May 28, 2017
blackberlin:

Those who can't make it in Nigeria will never make it in a smaller Biafra,

Typical.
Just say something different for once, and surprise us.

Igbos make it in whatever part of the country they migrate to. They are the real definition of hustling spirits that knows no boundary. So, if you're talking about people who couldn't make it in Nigeria, yet hoping to make it in a smaller Biafra, you are actually referring to your lilly livered people who are afraid of standing on their own. People who live in mortal fear of their Fulani superiors and are content to subsist on their master's leftovers.

As for your kind hearted concern over properties belonging to Igbos, well, thank you. Your fears and compassion is duely noted. But I must ask you, why do you bellyache over another mans property, built from his toil and sweat?

When Pa Awo implemented the seizure of their assets and handed them £20 instead, did it prick your conscience? Did you bellyache over such injustice? Yes, they lost a lot, but it didn't put them down. You can't hold a good man down! In the face of all that they lost, they rose from the ashes, just like the fabled phoenix. They rose and rebuilt.
Bitterness ought to hold them down, but they didn't let such negative emotion rule their life and limit how they can soar. If they lose all they have invested in outside the SE a second time, it still will not put them down. Life will surely go on.

Finally, your people hardly invest outside your geographical zone as you said. I don't see how that should be a thing of pride. It still affirms their being called lilly livered. For that alone, don't dare make comparisons between these two tribes based on its propensity to take risks, to dare, to call anyone's bluff, to go out of your comfort zone, to explore, to confront and conquer, and to vanquish every limitation.

You can't put a good man down!
History has shown that countless times.
There is nothing wrong with a man who decides to take his destiny in his own hands. Your people can learn and grow a set of balls and decide to forge their own destiny too. Your abusing another tribe who rebel against the status quo everyone agrees is unfair, yet can't man up to demand for yours isn't just hypocrisy, it is downright treachery.
Are you guys born with such cowardly DNA, that the word Biafra makes u pee your pants?
Hasn't it occurred to you that this same people you oppose are hoping the Yorubas will rise up and take charge of their own nation? Are you so blinded by fear to realize that the Yoruba nation holds the biggest potential to excel if the major tribes were to go their separate ways?

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by ThatIgboBoy: 10:47am On May 28, 2017
Nwakaumu:
They will soon arrive to tell us how it is better to unite with them so that the zoo will move forward, meanwhile they have abandoned their brothers in Benin republic and Togo.funny set of people.

Funny but true

7 Likes

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by Nobody: 11:32am On May 28, 2017
[b]Na wah oooo.... i guess thats why a lot of my igbo friends have stopped building projects here in Lagos..

A presidency from the east might douse the issue, i think Nigeria really needs to think in that line. Afterall we have not faired better with other regions having been in the position...

2 Likes

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by drss2(m): 11:40am On May 28, 2017
whirlwind7:

Typical.
Just say something different for once, and surprise us.

Igbos make it in whatever part of the country they migrate to. They are the real definition of hustling spirits that knows no boundary. So, if you're talking about people who couldn't make it in Nigeria, yet hoping to make it in a smaller Biafra, you are actually referring to your lilly livered people who are afraid of standing on their own. People who live in mortal fear of their Fulani superiors and are content to subsist on their master's leftovers.

As for your kind hearted concern over properties belonging to Igbos, well, thank you. Your fears and compassion is duely noted. But I must ask you, why do you bellyache over another mans property, built from his toil and sweat?

When Pa Awo implemented the seizure of their assets and handed them £20 instead, did it prick your conscience? Did you bellyache over such injustice? Yes, they lost a lot, but it didn't put them down. You can't hold a good man down! In the face of all that they lost, they rose from the ashes, just like the fabled phoenix. They rose and rebuilt.
Bitterness ought to hold them down, but they didn't let such negative emotion rule their life and limit how they can soar. If they lose all they have invested in outside the SE a second time, it still will not put them down. Life will surely go on.

Finally, your people hardly invest outside your geographical zone as you said. I don't see how that should be a thing of pride. It still affirms their being called lilly livered. For that alone, don't dare make comparisons between these two tribes based on its propensity to take risks, to dare, to call anyone's bluff, to go out of your comfort zone, to explore, to confront and conquer, and to vanquish every limitation.

You can't put a good man down!
History has shown that countless times.
There is nothing wrong with a man who decides to take his destiny in his own hands. Your people can learn and grow a set of balls and decide to forge their own destiny too. Your abusing another tribe who rebel against the status quo everyone agrees is unfair, yet can't man up to demand for yours isn't just hypocrisy, it is downright treachery.
Are you guys born with such cowardly DNA, that the word Biafra makes u pee your pants?
Hasn't it occurred to you that this same people you oppose are hoping the Yorubas will rise up and take charge of their own nation? Are you so blinded by fear to realize that the Yoruba nation holds the biggest potential to excel if the major tribes were to go their separate ways?

correct talk.

6 Likes

Re: Biafran Secessionist Movement Grows Stronger In Nigeria - VOA by Nobody: 11:50am On May 28, 2017
Voice of America. See levels..
Envious Unity beggars right now

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sniffing And Smoking Lizard Sh!t And Tails Is Trending In The North / Buhari Will Win The Next Election / Vice President Seen Carrying Power Bank,are We Safe?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.