Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,498 members, 7,781,501 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:36 PM

4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study (23661 Views)

Things To Consider Before Choosing A Career / Self-improvement : 10 Questions You Should Ask To Yourself / What Employment Opportunities Does Anatomy As A Course Have To Offer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Enezoza(f): 7:21pm On Jun 09, 2017
Lacomus:
I want to become a whistle blower, please what course
should I study ?

Go study CRIMINOLOGY

2 Likes

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jun 09, 2017
Lacomus:
I want to become a whistle blower, please what course
should I study ?
Whistleblowerology grin
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Evinsco(m): 7:30pm On Jun 09, 2017
dapyd1:
I think the first and major question to ask is PASSION

Am I passionate enough to build a career in this course?

For that, we need to go back to our secondary school.

The method of putting people in classes based on their performance is wrong, outdated and very biased.

The best students go to Science, the rest are divided into art/commercial.

Schools need to device a curriculum that gets the best out of students. That's how advanced countries get it done. That way, we put square pegs in square holes.

There is no course you cannot build a career in. NONE.

If that is the course you want, and you are ready to pursue it with passion, you will make it.

I know a YORUBA professor, who is a translator/consultant for the UN. The man is in money, a lot of it. Is YORUBA an economically viable course according to most people's standards?
you were making sense before until when i saw the best students should go to science while d rest shuld be divided in art/comrcial....are you telling me dat d best are in only science class.....hw many sci student re successful since u cal dem d best......until whn we nigerians stop this crazy mentality we wil cntinue choosin dept fr our kids which we knw they dnt have capability and ability in.

1 Like

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by donqx: 7:38pm On Jun 09, 2017
good
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by yhunghestboss(m): 7:38pm On Jun 09, 2017
Nigerian schools and the way they operate frustrate students that in turn have to accept any course given to them or they completely miss out and not given admission which means they wait for another year,so all this don't really matter in this country...
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by tunatrezy(m): 7:38pm On Jun 09, 2017
4. WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THIS COURSE IN THE ECONOMY? the most important question.
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by ghostwritter(m): 7:46pm On Jun 09, 2017
youngstarlit:
Many undergraduates and graduates are regretting due to their choice of course today. They have failed to consider some essential facts while choosing a field of study. This is usually due to influence by parents, friends and family members. As this decision is a sensitive one that determines the future of a man, I have decided to write this article today so that you will not make a decision with a regretful end.
If you are at the point of choosing a field of study, the following are the questions you should ask yourself.

1. DO I HAVE PASSION FOR THIS COURSE?

The word "PASSION" is irresistible and should never be underestimated. Choosing a course without desire often lead to regret. If you have passion for computer and internet and hate biology, it will be best to go for Computer science or engineering. Don't be influenced by other people's decision to go for Biology-ralated course like medicine and surgery when you don't like biology. If you like chemistry, then you shod choose it's related courses like Pharmacy, Biochemistry Chemical engineering e.t.c. Passion for a course should be considered first because:

-Course you have passion for are usually easier to study
-Courses you don't have passion for are usually harder

2. AM I CAPABLE TO STUDENTS THIS COURSE?
Your ability is best known to you. Consider an average or below average student choosing Medicine and Surgery. What happens? It will be difficult for such a person to cope with the course requirement which eventually leads to failure. So, consider your ability, how much you can read, your retentive capability before choosing a course.

3. HOW MUCH DO I NEED TO STUDENTS THIS COURSE?
"Money" is another important thing to consider while choosing a course. Consider the standard of living of your parents or your sponsor. Courses that involves more practical and expensive such as Anatomy, Medicine, Animal-related Courses should not be chosen by someone with a low standard of living. It will affect you during your period of study.

4. WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THIS COURSE IN THE ECONOMY?
I'll break this question down into two parts:
A. Is employment readily or rarely available?
B. How much will I get paid after getting a job?

A. Hot cake Courses like medicine, pharmacy, law, chemical engineering, computer engineering, Mass communication, civil engineer, nursing e.t.c have high demand in the Labour market while Courses like religious study, music, zoology, sports, sociology and geography are not marketable. So, choose Courses that are in high demand in labour market.
B. Everybody wants to earn some cool cash. Nobody wants to graduate and start earning #20,000-30,000 yearly. While some courses pays greatly, others are manageable. Everybody wants to earn hundreds of thousands yearly. Hot cake Courses mentioned above can fetch you such cash. So, choose a course that pays so you won't regret in life. However, geographical location should also be considered because a course which pays in Nigeria may not pay in USA.

I believe if you can consider the questions above, you will make the best decision in choosing a course for study.

Source: http://classicinfospot..com/2017/05/Guide-to-choose-the-right-course.html
tell all these to UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN if u are eventually given Islamic studies instead of Law.
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by ghostwritter(m): 7:50pm On Jun 09, 2017
in the present Nigeria, no course is good, no course is bad as long as you are connected to the biggest goons.
even medical and law graduates now sell recharge cards under umbrella.

1 Like

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by ubongoton(m): 8:05pm On Jun 09, 2017
goodluck johnathan read zology but look at him today,
Buhari read wickedness look at his handwork today.
What do i say,
Your course does not defined your future

2 Likes

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Mixty: 8:11pm On Jun 09, 2017
dapyd1:
I think the first and major question to ask is PASSION

Am I passionate enough to build a career in this course?

For that, we need to go back to our secondary school.

The method of putting people in classes based on their performance is wrong, outdated and very biased.

The best students go to Science, the rest are divided into art/commercial.

Schools need to device a curriculum that gets the best out of students. That's how advanced countries get it done. That way, we put square pegs in square holes.

There is no course you cannot build a career in. NONE.

If that is the course you want, and you are ready to pursue it with passion, you will make it.

I know a YORUBA professor, who is a translator/consultant for the UN. The man is in money, a lot of it. Is YORUBA an economically viable course according to most people's standards?
Lol. Skewed reasoning.

The question you need to ask yourself is how many yoruba graduates are successful in their CAREER PATH (not diverting to something else) as compared to graduates of engineering, medicine, computer science, law, etc.

Picking one example in isolation does not portray the true picture. There are always exceptions in life but your judgement has to be based on general trend and not an isolated example.
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by KillerBeauty(f): 8:14pm On Jun 09, 2017
Evinsco:

you were making sense before until when i saw the best students should go to science while d rest shuld be divided in art/comrcial....are you telling me dat d best are in only science class.....hw many sci student re successful since u cal dem d best......until whn we nigerians stop this crazy mentality we wil cntinue choosin dept fr our kids which we knw they dnt have capability and ability in.
You didn't get what he is saying. Please reread.
He is saying the system of putting the best students in science class while the rest go to Art/commercial class is wrong, biased and outdated.

1 Like

Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by blaquebelle: 8:24pm On Jun 09, 2017
Trash
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by dapyd1(m): 8:36pm On Jun 09, 2017
Evinsco:

We are saying the same thing. Read through very well, I am actually attacking that mentality, not supporting it.
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by wman(m): 8:40pm On Jun 09, 2017
It is wrong to choose a course of study because of how lucrative it could be.

You end up with bad grades and unhappiness.

Go for what you love.

All other things will follow.
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Meetleader: 8:55pm On Jun 09, 2017
youngstarlit:
Many undergraduates and graduates are regretting due to their choice of course today. They have failed to consider some essential facts while choosing a field of study. This is usually due to influence by parents, friends and family members. As this decision is a sensitive one that determines the future of a man, I have decided to write this article today so that you will not make a decision with a regretful end.
If you are at the point of choosing a field of study, the following are the questions you should ask yourself.

1. DO I HAVE PASSION FOR THIS COURSE?

The word "PASSION" is irresistible and should never be underestimated. Choosing a course without desire often lead to regret. If you have passion for computer and internet and hate biology, it will be best to go for Computer science or engineering. Don't be influenced by other people's decision to go for Biology-ralated course like medicine and surgery when you don't like biology. If you like chemistry, then you shod choose it's related courses like Pharmacy, Biochemistry Chemical engineering e.t.c. Passion for a course should be considered first because:

-Course you have passion for are usually easier to study
-Courses you don't have passion for are usually harder

Your ability is best known to you. Consider an average or below average student choosing Medicine and Surgery. What happens? It will be difficult for such a person to cope with the course requirement which eventually leads to failure. So, consider your ability, how much you can read, your retentive capability before choosing a course.

"Money" is another important thing to consider while choosing a course. Consider the standard of living of your parents or your sponsor. Courses that involves more practical and expensive such as Anatomy, Medicine, Animal-related Courses should not be chosen by someone with a low standard of living. It will affect you during your period of study.

4. WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THIS COURSE IN THE ECONOMY?
I'll break this question down into two parts:
A. Is employment readily or rarely available?
B. How much will I get paid after getting a job?

A. Hot cake Courses like medicine, pharmacy, law, chemical engineering, computer engineering, Mass communication, civil engineer, nursing e.t.c have high demand in the Labour market while Courses like religious study, music, zoology, sports, sociology and geography are not marketable. So, choose Courses that are in high demand in labour market.
B. Everybody wants to earn some cool cash. Nobody wants to graduate and start earning #20,000-30,000 yearly. While some courses pays greatly, others are manageable. Everybody wants to earn hundreds of thousands yearly. Hot cake Courses mentioned above can fetch you such cash. So, choose a course that pays so you won't regret in life. However, geographical location should also be considered because a course which pays in Nigeria may not pay in USA.

I believe if you can consider the questions above, you will make the best decision in choosing a course for study.

Source: http://classicinfospot..com/2017/05/Guide-to-choose-the-right-course.html

Don't you dare underestimate Geography...

GOD has blessed me so much with that course ...
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by obeyizy(m): 8:55pm On Jun 09, 2017
Watin your former presidentz wife study for school(if she even go school self)see house wey she get moni,hotelz and even the rest yet to be discovered by EFCC baba free course just get into politics and have your share of the National cake cool cool
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Nigeriadondie: 8:57pm On Jun 09, 2017
All courses have value but because our useless govts at all levels are not pragmatic in creating job oppurtunities where it becomes possible for all skills and knowledge acquired could be utilized.
Also, emphasis should be on vocational education as well and that is where our technical schools and then d polytechnics are of great value to meet d middle level manpower needs of d country
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by mukhcech(m): 9:03pm On Jun 09, 2017
wman:
It is wrong to choose a course of study because of how lucrative it could be.

You end up with bad grades and unhappiness.

Go for what you love.

All other things will follow.

I like this one.
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by bobolizim(m): 9:19pm On Jun 09, 2017
Giannakopoulos:
There's nothing like an average student or good student it all depends on who wants to sit down and study!
that's a fallacious statement ; there are average students ...I've seen people that studied together and do most things together .. One just get more A's than the other ... I've met brilliant students sister
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by micxwell(m): 9:29pm On Jun 09, 2017
Enezoza:
Talking about passion, what do one do when year after year, he/she is not offered the course s/he is passionate about...? You know how Nigeria universities are, ones choice of course is not what they always offer even if one is qualified...

I'm studying PRIMARY EDUCATION STUDIES (PES) now, not because I had passion for it. After many trials, I have no choice but to accept it. Now I love it (I must love it to do well in it)

My advice is;
Study any course you are offered
Look out for the good side of it
Talk yourself into loving it wholeheartedly
Put in effort and do it well
Offer the society something good with the course
Most importantly, never forget GOD. No matter what you study, you still need His help.

With my PES, I can't wait to be the owner of the best Childhood Education Provider in Nigeria.

Keep it up. God is on your side.
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Stevengerd(m): 9:32pm On Jun 09, 2017
Enezoza:
Talking about passion, what do one do when year after year, he/she is not offered the course s/he is passionate about...? You know how Nigeria universities are, ones choice of course is not what they always offer even if one is qualified...

I'm studying PRIMARY EDUCATION STUDIES (PES) now, not because I had passion for it. After many trials, I have no choice but to accept it. Now I love it (I must love it to do well in it)

My advice is;
Study any course you are offered
Look out for the good side of it
Talk yourself into loving it wholeheartedly
Put in effort and do it well
Offer the society something good with the course
Most importantly, never forget GOD. No matter what you study, you still need His help.

With my PES, I can't wait to be the owner of the best Childhood Education Provider in Nigeria.
U Just Said Waz On My Mind. In Life All One Need Is Divine Connection & Grace. 4get About Course
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Jedidiahworld(m): 9:37pm On Jun 09, 2017
Rancho: Pursue excellence, and success will follow, pants down
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by IdeyFindWife: 9:43pm On Jun 09, 2017
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by IdeyFindWife: 9:44pm On Jun 09, 2017
BroZuma:
grin grin grin grin

Goodbye, English Language.

youngstarlit:

Death of the English Language celebrated in grand style!

Would've thought it was typo but could anyone overlook typo that horrible, twice? Dunno, it might be copy-copy gone wrong but great content anyway!
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by stanliwise(m): 9:48pm On Jun 09, 2017
Lordfranklin:
stop misleading undergraduates and aspirants with this hocus pocus!
It shouldn't be what the society will offer you but what you have to offer the society.
If all the aspirants keep applying for the "lucrative" ones, who will take up others you term 'irrelevant'?
And by the way, an average student can study medicine.
simple and made alot of sense unlike the OP spilling thrash
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by omimigaius(m): 9:48pm On Jun 09, 2017
Please i want to study criminology and my choice of school is noun. Does anybody know if the school is good for the course? I heard the school collects money for reading materials but refuses to give.
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jun 09, 2017
The Enqlish na die
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Evinsco(m): 11:05pm On Jun 09, 2017
dapyd1:

We are saying the same thing. Read through very well, I am actually attacking that mentality, not supporting it.
oh! bro no vex.....didn't read d full content.
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Evinsco(m): 11:12pm On Jun 09, 2017
KillerBeauty:

You didn't get what he is saying. Please reread.
He is saying the system of putting the best students in science class while the rest go to Art/commercial class is wrong, biased and outdated.
oh! i didn't read d full content....like i said i earlier,i only reached dat spot...which is nt right. Tnks fr dat!
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Nobody: 12:13am On Jun 10, 2017
What about a scenario when the school chooses a course for you?
Re: 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study by Classicinfospot(m): 7:43am On Jun 10, 2017
How? Maybe you didn't meet the cut off mark.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Debt Management Office To Sack Staff Who Leaked Official Documents / My Experience With A Commissioner Of Police / One Legged Bus Conductor In Lagos (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.