Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,278 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:45 AM

Igbo Language Spoken In The Hit New TV Series, "American Gods" - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Language Spoken In The Hit New TV Series, "American Gods" (1997 Views)

Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria / Europeans And Asians Learning Igbo Language / Igbo Language Spoken On American Gods S1E2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Language Spoken In The Hit New TV Series, "American Gods" by Newsi: 4:29pm On May 28, 2017
American Gods is an American television series based on the novel of the same name , written by Neil Gaiman and originally published in 2001. The television series was developed by Bryan Fuller and Michael Green for the premium cable network Starz.

The series focuses on Shadow Moon (Ricky Whittle ), a man serving three years in prison. With only days remaining in his sentence, Shadow is given an unexpected early release after his beloved wife Laura is killed. Taking a plane back home to her funeral, Shadow finds himself next to a man named Wednesday ( Ian McShane), who offers Shadow a job. Wednesday appears to be nothing but a con artist who needs Shadow as a bodyguard, but is in fact the god Odin . Wednesday is making his way across America, gathering all the old gods, who have now incorporated themselves into American life, to confront the New Gods, including Media (Gillian Anderson ) and Technical Boy (Bruce Langley ), who grow stronger.

The Igbo language features in the second episode of the series, depicting a slave rebellion in a ship conveying African slaves to the New World, circa 1697. A slave begins to pray to Anansi, a character in African folklore, in the Igbo language. A modernly-dressed version of Anansi appears and begins a monologue relating all the horrible things that will happen to them once they arrive at America. At Anansi's urging, the slave free themselves and burn the ship to kill the slavers.
Re: Igbo Language Spoken In The Hit New TV Series, "American Gods" by AbakalikiPress: 7:49pm On May 28, 2017
When did Anansi become Igbo folklore?

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Language Spoken In The Hit New TV Series, "American Gods" by Nobody: 6:33am On May 29, 2017
So what?Yoruba was spoken in Phat girls and am sure several other nigerian and even african languages would have been featured in foreign movies so whats ur point fam?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Language Spoken In The Hit New TV Series, "American Gods" by agadez007(m): 6:46pm On May 29, 2017
AbakalikiPress:
When did Anansi become Igbo folklore?
you need glasses

where did you read here that it is an Igbo folklore,before you claim it as yoruba,i think it is Ghanain

1 Like

Re: Igbo Language Spoken In The Hit New TV Series, "American Gods" by agadez007(m): 6:50pm On May 29, 2017
Henryyy:
So what?Yoruba was spoken in Phat girls and am sure several other nigerian and even african languages would have been featured in foreign movies so whats ur point fam?
why do you peeps always think we are in a competition?

Must you guys always comment on Igbo threads?

Why dont you open your own thread?

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Language Spoken In The Hit New TV Series, "American Gods" by Nobody: 7:39pm On May 29, 2017
agadez007:
why do you peeps always think we are in a competition?

Must you guys always comment on Igbo threads?

Why dont you open your own thread?

Its not a competition bro.Am only saying indians speak english in their movies and a big deal isnt created outta it.Mexicans do movies with english scenes and no one rants about it.This isnt a big deal simple.Do british sites report when an "igbo" or "yoruba" movie makes use of english language in movies?
And @bolded how hypocritical.What about the igbos going around causing a nuisance on yoruba threads?What of d ones opening threads to insult yorubas?U dont see them or you doing what u're known for..... Hypocrisy?

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Language Spoken In The Hit New TV Series, "American Gods" by agadez007(m): 8:08pm On May 29, 2017
Henryyy:

Its not a competition bro.Am only saying indians speak english in their movies and a big deal isnt created outta it.Mexicans do movies with english scenes and no one rants about it.This isnt a big deal simple.Do british sites report when an "igbo" or "yoruba" movie makes use of english language in movies?
And @bolded how hypocritical.What about the igbos going around causing a nuisance on yoruba threads?What of d ones opening threads to insult yorubas?U dont see them or you doing what u're known for..... Hypocrisy?
look at the part of your comment i highlighted,you tried to compare yoruba with Igbo,here
Henryyy:
your second is inconsequential cos it is outside what you wrote in your first comment
Re: Igbo Language Spoken In The Hit New TV Series, "American Gods" by Nobody: 8:14pm On May 29, 2017
agadez007:

look at the part of your comment i highlighted,you tried to compare yoruba with Igbo,here
your second is inconsequential cos that outside what you wrote in your first comment
No offense but are u an illiterate? I could have used the indian example but i figured using something more african and relatable would drive d point home.Look you can go through my posts feed i dont have time for all this nonsense.I say things as they are not cause am a particular tribe or anything.Am not saying am a saint cause if u come for my tribe i would attack but in this case i wasnt even interested in tribal ish.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Language Spoken In The Hit New TV Series, "American Gods" by agadez007(m): 8:23pm On May 29, 2017
Henryyy:

No offense but are u an illiterate? I could have used the indian example but i figured using something more african and relatable would drive d point home.Look you can go through my posts feed i dont have time for all this nonsense.I say things as they are not cause am a particular tribe or anything.Am not saying am a saint cause if u come for my tribe i would attack but in this case i wasnt even interested in tribal ish.
you are pointless

next time,dont compare
Re: Igbo Language Spoken In The Hit New TV Series, "American Gods" by Nobody: 8:51pm On May 29, 2017
agadez007:
you are pointless

next time,dont compare
What comparison?Now am very sure you are definitely an illiterate. So making an example or reference means comparison now?I salute ur ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Language Spoken In The Hit New TV Series, "American Gods" by zephry(m): 11:42am On Jul 17, 2017
I suspected it was igbo but as a yoruba boy I wasn't sure
that's really good though
i'm still waiting for a Nigerian deity to feature in the series

(1) (Reply)

Meet The Youngest Female Traditional Ruler In Nigeria. / Nigeria Has The 10th Finest English Accent In The World - CNN. See Full List.. / Yoruba Orisha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.