Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,263 members, 7,780,585 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:58 PM

Useful Health Hints For Nigerians - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Useful Health Hints For Nigerians (400 Views)

Covid 19: Ncdc Hints At Extension Of Lockdown / Coronavirus: Guidance For Nigerians By The Federal Government / How To Grow Old Gently, Healthy And Happily; Six (6) HINTS!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Useful Health Hints For Nigerians by macIB(m): 12:42pm On May 29, 2017
From real life cases.
Case number 1
Nigerian girl, gets sick, goes to pharmacist or chemist.
Girl: I am having pain in my abdomen.
Pharm/Chemist : is it serious?
Girl - yes.
Pharm- oya take these drugs.
Girl goes home. Takes drugs. 3 days later pain is becoming more serious. Goes to the lab.
Lab Scientist, collects blood, stool, and urine. After some hours.
Lab Scientist: You have severe malaria, typhoid, hepatitis and worm. Oya take these drugs.
Girl goes home and takes drugs. 3 days later she goes to school, during the first lecture she collapsses. They carry her to hospital.
Doctor examines patient. She is paper white with distended abdomen. Doctor taps abdomen and gets blood. Calls parents. 'She has ruptured ectopic pregnancy'. They rush her to the theater and she survives by the whiskers.
Case number 2.
Nigerian girl feeling sick. Goes to chemist. I have pain in my lower abdomen.
Chemist: since when?
Girl: 5 days, but getting more serious.
Chemist: when is your last menses.
Girl: am on it now.
Chemist: I see. You must be having menstrual pains. Oya take these drugs.
Girl goes home, takes drugs. 5 days later, still having abdominal pains, now with fever and vomiting. Mother takes girl to the lab.
Lab Scientist collects stool, urine and blood. Some hours later.
Lab Scientist to mother: 'she has malaria and typhoid with hepatitis'. Scribbles prescription. 'Let her take these drugs'.
4 days later, girl cannot get off the bed. They rush her to the hospital. Doctor sees girl, requests ultrasound. Result - ruptured appendix.
Girl rushed to the theater and survives after almost 3 weeks hospital stay.
Case number 3.
Boy having abdominal pain. Goes to chemist.
Boy: I have pain in my stomach.
Pharmacist: OK. Take these drugs.
Boy goes home, takes drugs. Pain goes, resurfaces after 2 weeks, goes again, pharmacist gives more drugs, pain goes, appears again in three weeks with passage of dark stools.
Boy goes to the lab. Lab Scientist collects blood, stool, and urine. After some time......
Lab Scientist: you have malaria, typhoid, hepatitis and ulcer. Scribbles some prescriptions.
Boy goes home, takes drugs, feels better dark stool disappears.
3 weeks later boy vomits blood, rushed to the hospital. Doctor sees boy, requests for tests including ultrasound and endoscopy. Result: stomach cancer.
Morals of the stories.
1. Lab Scientists, nurses and pharmacists are not doctors. They are not trained to diagnose and PRESCRIBE drugs.
2. Doctors should not be the last to be consulted when ill. Don't wait until the case becomes complicated. You may not just be saving your life, you could also be saving money from unnecessary tests and useless drugs.
3. If for any reason you take over the counter drugs and symptoms persist after 2 days, go see a doc.
4. If you are pregnant you have no business taking drugs not prescribed by a doctor.

God bless
Re: Useful Health Hints For Nigerians by nelszx: 2:33pm On May 29, 2017
macIB:
From real life cases.
Case number 1
Nigerian girl, gets sick, goes to pharmacist or chemist.
Girl: I am having pain in my abdomen.
Pharm/Chemist : is it serious?
Girl - yes.
Pharm- oya take these drugs.
Girl goes home. Takes drugs. 3 days later pain is becoming more serious. Goes to the lab.
Lab Scientist, collects blood, stool, and urine. After some hours.
Lab Scientist: You have severe malaria, typhoid, hepatitis and worm. Oya take these drugs.
Girl goes home and takes drugs. 3 days later she goes to school, during the first lecture she collapsses. They carry her to hospital.
Doctor examines patient. She is paper white with distended abdomen. Doctor taps abdomen and gets blood. Calls parents. 'She has ruptured ectopic pregnancy'. They rush her to the theater and she survives by the whiskers.
Case number 2.
Nigerian girl feeling sick. Goes to chemist. I have pain in my lower abdomen.
Chemist: since when?
Girl: 5 days, but getting more serious.
Chemist: when is your last menses.
Girl: am on it now.
Chemist: I see. You must be having menstrual pains. Oya take these drugs.
Girl goes home, takes drugs. 5 days later, still having abdominal pains, now with fever and vomiting. Mother takes girl to the lab.
Lab Scientist collects stool, urine and blood. Some hours later.
Lab Scientist to mother: 'she has malaria and typhoid with hepatitis'. Scribbles prescription. 'Let her take these drugs'.
4 days later, girl cannot get off the bed. They rush her to the hospital. Doctor sees girl, requests ultrasound. Result - ruptured appendix.
Girl rushed to the theater and survives after almost 3 weeks hospital stay.
Case number 3.
Boy having abdominal pain. Goes to chemist.
Boy: I have pain in my stomach.
Pharmacist: OK. Take these drugs.
Boy goes home, takes drugs. Pain goes, resurfaces after 2 weeks, goes again, pharmacist gives more drugs, pain goes, appears again in three weeks with passage of dark stools.
Boy goes to the lab. Lab Scientist collects blood, stool, and urine. After some time......
Lab Scientist: you have malaria, typhoid, hepatitis and ulcer. Scribbles some prescriptions.
Boy goes home, takes drugs, feels better dark stool disappears.
3 weeks later boy vomits blood, rushed to the hospital. Doctor sees boy, requests for tests including ultrasound and endoscopy. Result: stomach cancer.
Morals of the stories.
1. Lab Scientists, nurses and pharmacists are not doctors. They are not trained to diagnose and PRESCRIBE drugs.
2. Doctors should not be the last to be consulted when ill. Don't wait until the case becomes complicated. You may not just be saving your life, you could also be saving money from unnecessary tests and useless drugs.
3. If for any reason you take over the counter drugs and symptoms persist after 2 days, go see a doc.
4. If you are pregnant you have no business taking drugs not prescribed by a doctor.

God bless

Your moral of the story is good but the contest is poor.
You need not shade others to drive home a relevant point. No lab scientist will tell a patient he/she has what you stated except its a quack or impostor. A CBC most times tells a half picture of what's happening in vivo.

Though you made valid points but use a valid premise to drive home your points. The talk of you have "malaria, typhoid, hepatitis and worms" are just stupid to say the least. If a lab scientist cultures your stool and see Salmonella my brother he reports Salmonellosis and profers a treatment plan even same with malaria. And besides worms have names and isn't called worms but represented as cyst/ova of whatever parasites

Make your point and don't paint others black, except the people you are calling lab scientists are impostors cos no real medical lab scientist will tell a client what you wrote up there let alone scribbles a prescription cos of litigation should anything go south. We have many lab scientists (quacks and impostors) but only a handful are medical laboratory scientists

(1) (Reply)

PLEASE HELP!!! / Burn Fat And Shape Up With Talia Slim Patch / What EXACTLY Is Food Poisoning? Things You Should Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.