Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,539 members, 7,801,509 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard (50593 Views)

Annual States Viability Index For 2017 : Full List From Economic Confidential / 14 States Can't Survive Without Federal Allocation- Economic Confidential Magazi / State Viability Index; Lagos Generates More IGR Than 31 States Combined (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by NewsPoacher: 7:09pm On May 29, 2017
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/05/state-viability-index-lagos-generates-igr-31-states-combined/

State Viability Index; 36 States Generate N801bn IGR Against N2.6trn from FAAC …. …

… Economic Viable States: Lagos, Ogun, Rivers, Edo, Kwara and Delta States

… Poor IGR States: Borno, Ebonyi, Kebbi, Jigawa

The Economic Confidential, the award winning Economic Intelligence Magazine, has released its Annual States Viability Index ( ASVI) which shows that fourteen States are insolvent as their Internally Generated Revenues (IGR) in 2016 were far below 10% of their Federation Account Allocations (FAA) in the same year.

The index, carefully and painstakingly computed proved that without the monthly disbursement from the Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC), many states remain unviable, and cannot survive without the federally collected revenue.

The IGR are generated by states through Pay-As-You-Earn Tax (PAYE), Direct Assessment, Road Taxes and revenues from Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDA)s. The report by this economic intelligence magazine further indicates that the IGR of Lagos State of N302bn is higher than that of 30 States put together excluding Lagos, Ogun, Rivers, Edo, Kwara and Delta States whose IGRs are very impressive at more than 30% each.

The 30 other states merely generated a total of N258bn in 2016. Recently the magazine published the total allocation received by each state in Nigeria from the Federation Account Allocation (FAA) between January to December 2016. The latest report on IGR reveals that only Lagos and Ogun States generated more revenue than their allocations from the Federation Account by 169% and 127% respectively and no any other state has up to 100% of IGR to the federal largesse.

The IGR of the 36 states of the federation totalled N801.95 billion in 2016 as compared to N682.67 billion in 2015, an increase of N119.28 billion. While the report provides shocking discoveries to the effect that 14 states which have less than 10% IGR may not stay afloat outside the Federation Account Allocation due to socio-political crises including insurgency, militancy and herdsmen attacks, others lack foresight in revenue generation drive coupled with arm-chair governance.

The states that may not survive without the Federation Account due to poor internal revenue generation include Borno which realized a meagre N2.6bn compared to a total of N73.8bn it received from the Federation Account Allocation (FAA) in 2016 representing about 4%.

Others are: Ebonyi with IGR of N2.3bn compared to FAA of N46.6bn representing 5%; Kebbi N3.1bn compared to FAA of N60.88bn representing 5.14%; Jigawa with N3.5bn compared to N68.52bn of FAA representing 5.15% and Yobe with IGR of N3.24nn compared to N53.93bn of FAA representing 6.0% within the period under review.

Other poor internal revenue earners are Gombe which generated N2.94bn compared to FAA of N46bn representing 6.26%; Ekiti N2.99bn compared to FAA of N47.56bn representing 6.28%; Katsina N5.54bn compared to FAA of N83bn representing 6.65% and Sokoto N4.54bn compared to FAA of N65.97bn representing 6.88%.

Meanwhile Lagos State remained steadfast in its number one position in IGR with a total revenue generation of N302bn compared to FAA of N178bn which translate to 169% in the twelve months of 2016. It is followed by Ogun State which generated IGR of N72.98bn compared to FAA of N57bn representing 127%. Others with impressive IGR include Rivers with N85bn compared to FAA of N134bn representing 63%; Edo with IGR of N23bn compared to FAA of N59bn representing 38%.

Kwara State however with low receipt from the Federation Account has greatly improved in its IGR of N17bn compared to FAA of N49bn representing 35% while Delta with IGR of N44bn compared to FAA of N126bn representing 6.88%.

The Economic Confidential ASVI further showed that only three states in the entire Northern region have IGR above 20%. They are Kwara, Kano, and Kaduna States. Meanwhile eight states in the South recorded over 20% IGR in 2016. They are Lagos, Ogun, Rivers, Edo, Delta, Cross River, Enugu, and Oyo States State. The states with the poorest Internally Generated Revenue of less than 10% in the South are Imo, Bayelsa, Ekiti, and Ebonyi States while in the North we have Niger, Nasarawa, Sokoto, Katsina, Gombe, Yobe, Jigawa, Kebbi and Borno States. Meanwhile the IGR of the respective states can improve through aggressive diversification of the economy to productive sectors rather than relying on the monthly Federation Account revenue that largely come from the oil sector.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by Blue3k(m): 7:16pm On May 29, 2017
Wow both Ogun and Lagos are impressive both managed to get IGR above allocation. What percentage of IGR do the consider viable. I'm thinking it's 20 to 30%. I say 20% because they said it's impressive.

While the report provides shocking discoveries to the effect that 14 states which have less than 10% IGR may not stay afloat outside the Federation Account Allocation due to socio-political crises including insurgency, militancy and herdsmen attacks, others lack foresight in revenue generation drive coupled with arm-chair governance.

We simply need better rule of law. The herdsmen easy example with laws. The states not focusing on diversification abd tax collection. Kwara and Kano simply focused on better tax collection practices, Also more agriculture.

Lalasticlala Mynd44 front page.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by RockHard: 7:29pm On May 29, 2017
Choi! shocked shocked

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by Shelloween(m): 7:31pm On May 29, 2017
How will this change the lives of suffering Nigerians? We don't want useless statistics, we want results. These selfish politicians would still loot the generated funds and we will be back to square one. Where is the animal that promised us CHANGE? I've bought maselft a Moet and ama pop it the moment i hear of Buhari's death. Nigeria's dead.

11 Likes

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by afroniger: 7:44pm On May 29, 2017
A lot of states are just not viable.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by 989900: 7:49pm On May 29, 2017
Shelloween:
[s]How will this change the lives of suffering Nigerians? We don't want useless statistics, we want results. These selfish politicians would still loot the generated funds and we will be back to square one. Where is the animal that promised us CHANGE? I've bought maselft a Moet and ama pop it the moment i hear of Buhari's death. Nigeria's dead[/s].

That's some real "Shallowmind".

96 Likes 6 Shares

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by Blue3k(m): 7:50pm On May 29, 2017
The issue of non viability spread out around country. 4 in south and 9 in north. Honestly most of these states have the potential to become viable with good policies. Ekiti State can simply copy good examples in region. The governors meet up to talk and plan.

Anyway I'm noticing Akwa Ibom only at 15 when all the other state made it to at least 20%. We should be shooting for over 20 in a years times. The overall goal should be over 100%. Personally I think allocation system should be scrapped because it encourages laziness.

The Economic Confidential ASVI further showed that only three states in the entire Northern region have IGR above 20%. They are Kwara, Kano, and Kaduna States. Meanwhile eight states in the South recorded over 20% IGR in 2016. They are Lagos, Ogun, Rivers, Edo, Delta, Cross River, Enugu, and Oyo States State. The states with the poorest Internally Generated Revenue of less than 10% in the South are Imo, Bayelsa, Ekiti, and Ebonyi States while in the North we have Niger, Nasarawa, Sokoto, Katsina, Gombe, Yobe, Jigawa, Kebbi and Borno States.

36 Likes

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by NewsPoacher: 8:00pm On May 29, 2017
Mynd44, front-page to allow more people discuss this important topic.

1 Like

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by Nobody: 8:02pm On May 29, 2017
This doesn't look nice

Our states in the East aren't performing too well

Funny how my brothers are always making fun of Oyo and it's faring better than most of our states

We really need leaders like the Yorubas in the South West unlike Obiano who empowered us with jerrycans

And OP what happened to Anambra's stats?

Did our clueless governor drink beer with it again coz he's always looking drunk.

109 Likes 13 Shares

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by SuperS1Panther: 8:11pm On May 29, 2017
What exactly are Osus contributing to this blessed country?

Resources they don't have
IGR they cannot generate.

Human Capital is being wasted on crime such as developing Indonesia

Technology is adulterated and only good for fake drugs and products.

What is their usefulness in t country apart from adding to our population size?

87 Likes 6 Shares

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by omohayek: 8:12pm On May 29, 2017
It's good to see this issue being publicized, as it is an abnormal and unhealthy situation to have so many "states" which are utterly dependent on Abuja for their maintenance. To the contrary, it should be the FG depending mostly on remittances from the states, rather than the other way around.

If it were up to me, the federal allocations would be either slashed outright, or at the very least, changed into matching grants, to give state governments stronger incentives to raise their IGR, a step I consider essential in making state residents more conscientious about holding their governors accountable. Once people realize its their own tax money being misused, rather than "free" oil money from the FG, they'll start to sit up straight and demand more from the state governments than ridiculous propaganda exercises like wheelbarrows with politicians names stamped on them (as if they were the ones doing the voters a favor, rather than actually serving at their mercy).

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by Larmont(m): 8:14pm On May 29, 2017
Ogun state generates more Revenue than states in the East and like threw times.. Lol Wouldn't be surprised if they start saying We made Ogun.. We own 90% properties/investments like they always do and your states are languishing in poverty...

84 Likes 4 Shares

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by FKO81(m): 8:15pm On May 29, 2017
States sustainability index

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by Blue3k(m): 8:15pm On May 29, 2017
BiafraAngitator:

This doesn't look nice

Our states in the East aren't performing til well

And please OP, what happened to Anambra's stats.

Did our clueless governor drink beer with it again coz he's always looking drunk.

Anambra is yet to release their stats. For what ever reason they are sitting out this year.

12 Likes

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by Shelloween(m): 8:17pm On May 29, 2017
989900:

That's some real "Shallowmind".
yeah. It's was actually made public for great minds like you, no? After reading the stats, you'd be like 'the government is fvcking working, look at the money generated'. How's life bro? Are you where you want to be or what you want to be? Does your mama still feed you? When was the last time you went to the market? I bet you have dreams of leaving this country and flying to Europe or America, yes? A market woman doesn't give a damn about those statistics, neither does a boy at home because his dad couldn't pay his school fees, nor a man who hasn't eaten since morning, nor your friend who is currently jobless. What the Bleep are they supposed to do with the stats? It only shows the billions generated and what happens with it... Nobody knows. Forgive me for having a shallowmind, i think it keeps my sanity in check and gives me a free mind. What have you got? nigger!

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by Nobody: 8:18pm On May 29, 2017
SuperS1Panther:
What exactly are Osus contributing to this blessed country?

Resources they don't have
IGR they cannot generate.

Human Capital is being wasted on crime such as developing Indonesia

Technology is adulterated and only good for fake drugs and products.

What is their usefulness in t country apart from adding to our population size?
And what are you trying to say?

Go to Yaba and you'll see our brothers selling used curtains

Go to Oshodi arena and you'll see my brothers selling used video games

My hardworking brothers are in Traffic hawking Fan Yogo

My brothers are putting Nigeria on the map by being behind 100% of the crimes committed abroad

We own 99% of the properties in Lagos and we rent them out to Yorubas

The Yorubas have sold 99% of their lands to us and they are very poor

We are the great developers

80 Likes 7 Shares

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by Okoroawusa: 8:20pm On May 29, 2017
Shelloween:
How will this change the lives of suffering Nigerians? We don't want useless statistics, we want results. These selfish politicians would still loot the generated funds and we will be back to square one. Where is the animal that promised us CHANGE? I've bought maselft a Moet and ama pop it the moment i hear of Buhari's death. Nigeria's dead.
I ve two questions for u.
one,if nigeria is dead then y r u bothering urself?
two,suppose we hear of ur death b4 buhari own,what do we pop?
anu mpama!

27 Likes

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by LadyExcellency: 8:23pm On May 29, 2017
Fake news

Ebonyi State generated 8.2 billion in 2012, then 10.4 billion in 2013 and 11 billion plus in 2014 suddenly got 2 billion in 2016?

Ebonyi State generated more than the trash listed in the computation - Fact

Secondly a State allocation from FEC should be gross and not these manipulated figures.

A State allocation includes deductions incurred by virtue of loans collected.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by PapaBrowne(m): 8:24pm On May 29, 2017
Funnily, with all the negative talk people like to chump on the South South, we are actually by far the best performing even without oil.

4 South South states are in the top ten. In fact Edo and Cross Rivers don't even receive anything from oil sef and yet they are punching hard.

We contribute all of the nations wealth and and still generate our own resources for ourselves while others just wait to share from our natural wealth!!

20 Likes

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by Paperwhite(m): 8:24pm On May 29, 2017
See them,the "Sai Baba" state always waiting for FG allocations as the parasites that they are. angry Meanwhile the bigoted president choose to ostracized the these states/regions that laid the golden egg & declared that he'll rule based on the mathematically incorrect 97% and 5%.

6 Likes

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by Shelloween(m): 8:27pm On May 29, 2017
Okoroawusa:
I ve two questions for u. one,if nigeria is dead then y r u bothering urself. two,suppose we hear of ur death b4 buhari own,what do we pop? anu mpama!
your first question didn't end with a question mark.

2 Likes

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by Stinson007(m): 8:28pm On May 29, 2017
Good Job, sound viability analysis.. Borno with all the aids and intervention from within and around the globe SMH.. Kanuris should hold that man

1 Like

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by Blue3k(m): 8:30pm On May 29, 2017
LadyExcellency:
Fake news

Ebonyi State generates more than the trash listed in the computation.

Secondly a State allocation from FEC should be gross and not these manipulated figures.

A State allocation includes deductions incurred by virtue of loans collected.

For confirmation and authentic information check NBS annual reports

You're trolling miss. All they did is take official IGR and alllcation figures for 2016 and put them in a spreadsheet. There's nothing fake about stats. You can disagree with claims made. They made 3 big ones.

The stats are from NBS. Anambra is missing because the didn't report. Ebonyi has no reason to lie about figure. FEC was gross not 1 month. The loans were the states choice to take.

Fourteen States are insolvent as their Internally Generated Revenues (IGR) in 2016 were far below 10% of their Federation Account Allocations (FAA) in the same year.

Meanwhile the IGR of the respective states can improve through aggressive diversification of the economy to productive sectors rather than relying on the monthly Federation Account revenue that largely come from the oil sector.

State of N302bn is higher than that of 30 States put together excluding Lagos, Ogun, Rivers, Edo, Kwara and Delta States whose IGRs are very impressive at more than 30% each.

The Economic Confidential ASVI further showed that only three states in the entire Northern region have IGR above 20%. They are Kwara, Kano, and Kaduna States. Meanwhile eight states in the South recorded over 20% IGR in 2016.

^^^ that one is more implied claim in my opinion.

Source:
http://nigerianstat.gov.ng/report/551

26 Likes

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by reptile1: 8:31pm On May 29, 2017
Who igr help? Same poor and hungry looking people across the country and u begin to ask how come Nigerians are starving in their own country inspite of all they have. IGR must translate to good standard of living before I take this crap serious.

3 Likes

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by Nobody: 8:33pm On May 29, 2017
Okoroawusa:

I ve two questions for u.
one,if nigeria is dead then y r u bothering urself.
two,suppose we hear of ur death b4 buhari own,what do we pop?
anu mpama!

The people wailing today, have been wailing since 1999. Poverty's not easy to get out off. No matter how good the economy is their will always be poor people, misfits, degenerates and loosers.

The man who said this about Nigeria is degenerate. Proly looking for money to buy alcohol to drown his life away.

5 Likes

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by fulanimafia: 8:34pm On May 29, 2017
Paperwhite:
See them,the "Sai Baba" state always waiting for FG allocations as the parasites that they are. angry

I hope you realize that based on IGR (actual revenue generated) the 'Sai baba states' (Kano and Kaduna) alone are more than your 5 SE states COMBINED even if we 'dash' missing Anambra N10 billion as IGR grin.

The ranking above is relative to federal allocation (which "Sai baba" states get more of by comparison due to a higher number of LGA's) and that's why you even have a voice to talk trash at more economically viable states than yours.

Attached below are the respective IGR for 2016 (figures are same with IGR in the list above) so the REAL parasites are very obvious cool.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by Oxtonguy: 8:39pm On May 29, 2017
FKO81:
[q
We are expecting your usual Choleric bank deposits

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by totit: 8:42pm On May 29, 2017
This news deserve front page abeg. shocked Mynd44 Oya

Coming...Pleasesssssssssss grin

grin

11 Likes

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by LadyExcellency: 8:44pm On May 29, 2017
Blue3k:

You're trolling miss. All they did is take official IGR and alllcation figures for 2016 and put them in a spreadsheet. There's nothing fake about stats. You can disagree with claims made. They made 3 big ones.

What do you mean?

Did you see any reference where the computation was derived?

The report is an assumption or at best partial computation where comprehensive reporting on States IGR where shredded in secrecy.

On a more serious note, learn not to be stupid rather courteous when next you quote my comments.

4 Likes

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by fulanimafia: 8:50pm On May 29, 2017
LadyExcellency:

What do you mean?

The report is an assumption or at best partial computation where comprehensive reporting on States IGR where shredded in secrecy.

On a more serious note, learn not to be stupid rather courteous when next you quote my comments.

Ngwakwe the former mod, those figures are based on data released recently by the Nigerian Bureau for Statistics as indicated in my post above.

Anambra was also missing on that list for some strange reason ( grin) and the figures remain the same with the ones released recently. The ranking was simply done by comparing the IGR figures to federal allocation.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by ODVanguard: 8:52pm On May 29, 2017
LadyExcellency:

What do you mean?

Why are you people like this? You try to discredit anything that doesn't favour you, even if the facts are staring you in the face. Pathetic. Smh.

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: State Viability Index: Full list from Economic Confidential - Vanguard by omenkaLives(m): 8:55pm On May 29, 2017
Shelloween:
This is one of the kids that make it difficult for us to have a sensible conversation on this forum these days.

45 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Six Private Jets Land In Anambra International Airport For A Burial in Nnewi / Why I Refused To Detonate My Explosive – Female Bomber (pic) / Boko Haram: What A Retired General Told Me About ‘defeat Claims’ – Fani-kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.