Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,171 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:02 AM

Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i (10406 Views)

BMW 523i / I Noticed That There Are Much Benz C300 Between 2008-10 / Between 2008 C300, 2010 VW Cc And 2010 Is250 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by erico2k2(m): 10:25am On Jun 01, 2017
Me I dey observe

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by kingreign(m): 7:23pm On Jun 01, 2017
anonymousjuju:

Manual ? Hell No, don't wanna grow muscles.
Lexus GS 06-13, Acura RL, Infiniti M35/M37, Mercedes W211-212 E350.

Google them, you'd definitely fall in love.
I'd dissuade you not to do Bimmer 535i. But if you can get a Bimmer E60 530i M54 engine, with clean title and impeccable service history, you're game.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by VeeBabs(m): 8:22am On Nov 22, 2018
erico2k2:

Another rubishhh, ask yourself why manual cars are cheaper than Auto

Manual cars are cheaper in Nigeria only because Nigerians don't buy manual. It's simple a factor of demand, nothing else.

Now, in reality, manual cars are more fun to drive, as they let you feel the power of your engine / torque much better than any automatic ever could (except, perhaps, some newer tech auto trannieslike dual-clutch etc).

Ever wondered why super cars like Lambos and Ferraris DON'T come automatic? They're always manual.

It'd be a shame to pack a 900-horsepower beast under your bonnet and insult it with an automatic transmission. The wild animal go vex for you!

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by Cosplay: 8:46am On Nov 22, 2018
VeeBabs:

Manual cars are cheaper in Nigeria only because Nigerians don't buy manual. It's simple a factor of demand, nothing else.

Now, in reality, manual cars are more fun to drive, as they let you feel the power of your engine / torque much better than any automatic ever could (except, perhaps, some newer tech auto trannieslike dual-clutch etc).

Ever wondered why super cars like Lambos and Ferraris DON'T come automatic? They're always manual.

It'd be a shame to pack a 900-horsepower beast under your bonnet and insult it with an automatic transmission. The wild animal go vex for you!

Try to stick to what you know and leave out all the anecdotal tales.

First, you have to get to a point where you'd understand that with F1-Style cars, super and hypercars, just referring to them as "Manual" or "Automatic" is antiquated.

The more appropriate and descriptive terms are Dual Clutch or Single Clutch transmissions. Most supercar manufacturers have their own names for their setups, Porsche for instance terms their DCT the PDK.

But referring to your statement, the last traditional "manual" transmission in a Lamborghini was probably offered in the Gallardo.

No series Ferrari has had a clutch pedal traditional "manual" transmission since the 1990s. They don't necessarily use the regular traditional torque converters, but they certainly aren't "manual" transmissions.

They have paddles to enable the driver shift, but do not necessarily require human input to do so. Think of them as clutchless automated transmissions.

https://www.lamborghinipalmbeach.com/blog/transmission-options-for-the-lamborghini-huracan/

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/02/why-lamborghini-trashed-the-manual-transmission.html

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1101921_lamborghini-manuals-are-history-and-dual-clutch-looks-like-the-future

2 Likes

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by Inception(m): 9:40am On Nov 22, 2018
kingreign:

Lexus GS 06-13, Acura RL, Infiniti M35/M37, Mercedes W211-212 E350.

Google them, you'd definitely fall in love.
I'd dissuade you not to do Bimmer 535i. But if you can get a Bimmer E60 530i M54 engine, with clean title and impeccable service history, you're game.

You know your onions. That is the best engine BMW ever produced, in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by komekn(m): 11:27am On Nov 22, 2018
anonymousjuju:

This is actually the first time i'd be hearing about this. Though i know the modern cars being made are more fuel efficient than the older models, but we were meant to believe that Toyota right from the day the name came to existence has more fuel efficiency than any other cars made. I know say na myth. But its what most mechanics makes us to understand.

One of my fear going for a BMW is fuel consumption, but i am ready to take that bull by the horn if i eventually go for it. But i need to know if its fuel consumption is any different from that of the toyota i mentioned above.

BMW parts in Nigeria if sourced correctly will be predominantly OEM. Once you've bought it you may not buy it again for a long time.

Toyota parts have a bewildering aray of used, fake, sub standard copies it's almost impossible to get the OEM. In reality the parts may not be cheaper.

The BMW is probably on par with the Toyota on fuel consumption if not better.

Reliability is about your maintenance routine and making sure you have a mechanic who knows what he us doing.

What's the chance of getting car jacked in a BMW compared to a Toyota. Or having your car headlights and other accessories ripped off by pilfering thieves.

Finally, enjoy the drive the comfort and the power which you really can't get in the Toyota.

2 Likes

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by erico2k2(m): 7:59pm On Nov 22, 2018
VeeBabs:

Please do a wee bit of research, Auto cars are more expenssive than manual cars of same make year and model in the UK from brand new!
Howmany SUVs have you seen with manuals trans in 2018?
PS try and find out about Manual cars and what it means!

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by VeeBabs(m): 4:11pm On Nov 24, 2018
erico2k2:

Please do a wee bit of research, Auto cars are more expenssive than manual cars of same make year and model in the UK from brand new!
Howmany SUVs have you seen with manuals trans in 2018?
PS try and find out about Manual cars and what it means!

You should really go back to school and learn to read properly. Did you read the first sentence of the comment you were replying?

For God's sake, who said anything about the UK?
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by erico2k2(m): 4:46pm On Nov 24, 2018
VeeBabs:

You should really go back to school and learn to read properly. Did you read the first sentence of the comment you were replying?

For God's sake, who said anything about the UK?
btw U and me who needs to go back to school, I made UK a reference as a car manufacturere, Do you want me to use Nigeria as a point of reference?? do they manufacture cars inNigeria?
Im trying to point you to a specific Idea that Auto car will csot more than its manual equivalent from brand new,instead of you to at least go to a price comparison site or check cost of a brand new toyota auto relative to its manual equivalent you are here throwing ur dummy outta the pram!I give u p

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by VeeBabs(m): 8:29am On Dec 12, 2018
There was zero need to refer to the UK in the manner you did. Return to the top of the discussion, if you will, and see the context of the references.

We were talking about the cost of manual vs auto tranny cars in Nigeria, NOT the United Kingdom. My response was to explain why there is such a price difference between two identical cars, different only in the kind of tranny they have. Nigerians don't buy manual, that's why the price is always significantly lower than its automatic twin. A simple demand-driven price gap.

Nobody was talking about car manufacturing. Just you.

erico2k2:

btw U and me who needs to go back to school, I made UK a reference as a car manufacturere, Do you want me to use Nigeria as a point of reference?? do they manufacture cars inNigeria?
Im trying to point you to a specific Idea that Auto car will csot more than its manual equivalent from brand new,instead of you to at least go to a price comparison site or check cost of a brand new toyota auto relative to its manual equivalent you are here throwing ur dummy outta the pram!I give u p
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by erico2k2(m): 6:58pm On Dec 12, 2018
VeeBabs:
There was zero need to refer to the UK in the manner you did. Return to the top of the discussion, if you will, and see the context of the references.

We were talking about the cost of manual vs auto tranny cars in Nigeria, NOT the United Kingdom. My response was to explain why there is such a price difference between two identical cars, different only in the kind of tranny they have. Nigerians don't buy manual, that's why the price is always significantly lower than its automatic twin. A simple demand-driven price gap.

Nobody was talking about car manufacturing. Just you.

Oga, the OP never said anything about Nigeria, she simply talked about having a person abroad who wants to supply her a car once she makes up her mind simple.m we do not make any part of thee cars in Nigeria why use Nigeria as a yard stick to judge any part of this discos?
Besides how am i meant to believe you know what a manual or Auto gear is , coming from a bloke who said Lambos and ferarris have Manual cars .Guy like Nurey adviced U B4, stick to what you know!

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by VeeBabs(m): 9:42pm On Dec 12, 2018
erico2k2:

Oga, the OP never said anything about Nigeria, she simply talked about having a person abroad who wants to supply her a car once she makes up her mind simple.m we do not make any part of thee cars in Nigeria why use Nigeria as a yard stick to judge any part of this discos?
Besides how am i meant to believe you know what a manual or Auto gear is , coming from a bloke who said Lambos and ferarris have Manual cars .Guy like Nurey adviced U B4, stick to what you know!

I see you lack comprehension. I will leave you to your fate.

On a second thought, let me respond more fully to you both...

The reason I didn't respond to that guy was because I hate it when people miss or deviate from the context of a GENERAL discussion and seek to overcomplicate things with A TECHNICAL response just to make themselves look smart or learned.

Lambos and Ferraris come in "automated manuals" with dual-clutch gearboxes, and similar technologies. Why didn't they just call it an AUTOMATIC? Because it's NOT an automatic!

The root word in that name is "manual"; the "automated" attached to it is actually a qualifier, an adjective. This means that, in its core, it remains a manual transmission (actually, two manual trannies), with techy gimmicks added on top of it to achieve faster-than-human gear shifts, in response to throttle position, steering position, obstacle awareness, and more than 20+ driver habit and other input signals collated and logged over time, with some basic implementation of artificial intelligence (AI) deciding the shift points.

And you know what's funny? I mentioned this particular point about faster-than-human gear shifts in my original comment, to which the egotistic bloke you referred to responded with a painfully condescending blab.

I quietly left his comment unreplied because he ended up saying pretty much the same thing I said. At least I made him do some googling assignment for a Bibliography.

Feel free to follow suit.

I suggest you read this:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/mind-brain-and-consciousness/201202/consciousness-artificial-intelligence-and-automatic
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by erico2k2(m): 11:26pm On Dec 12, 2018
VeeBabs:

I see you lack comprehension. I will leave you to your fate.

On a second thought, let me respond more fully to you both...

The reason I didn't respond to that guy was because I hate it when people miss or deviate from the context of a GENERAL discussion and seek to overcomplicate things with A TECHNICAL response just to make themselves look smart or learned.

Lambos and Ferraris come in "automated manuals" with dual-clutch gearboxes, and similar technologies. Why didn't they just call it an AUTOMATIC? Because it's NOT an automatic!

The root word in that name is "manual"; the "automated" attached to it is actually a qualifier, an adjective. This means that, in its core, it remains a manual transmission (actually, two manual trannies), with techy gimmicks added on top of it to achieve faster-than-human gear shifts, in response to throttle position, steering position, obstacle awareness, and more than 20+ driver habit and other input signals collated and logged over time, with some basic implementation of artificial intelligence (AI) deciding the shift points.

And you know what's funny? I mentioned this particular point about faster-than-human gear shifts in my original comment, to which the egotistic bloke you referred to responded with a painfully condescending blab.

I quietly left his comment unreplied because he ended up saying pretty much the same thing I said. At least I made him do some googling assignment for a Bibliography.

Feel free to follow suit.

I suggest you read this:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/mind-brain-and-consciousness/201202/consciousness-artificial-intelligence-and-automatic
Bross, I beg you in the name of GOD stick to selling Cars, you dont know jack shyte bout cars.All that Craaap you wrote up there is what we call Semi-Auto, you think coming up with some fancy name will change my perspective or you thought for once you was talking to a novice? Realy nurey abeg come carry your thing!

3 Likes

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by VeeBabs(m): 6:29am On Dec 13, 2018
erico2k2:

Bross, I beg you in the name of GOD stick to selling Cars, you dont know jack shyte bout cars.All that Craaap you wrote up there is what we call Semi-Auto, you think coming up with some fancy name will change my perspective or you thought for once you was talking to a novice? Realy nurey abeg come carry your thing!

Sorry, I don't deal cars for a living like you do. Every car post you see on my topics list are private sales for persons I know at a particular place.

But wait, you mean you had to "run a scan" on me to help you decide how to respond? I didn't even bother with your profile until now, following your lead.

And sorry if all my grammar made your head hurt. You see why I said I hate it in the first place?
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by nurey(m): 9:24am On Dec 13, 2018
erico2k2:

is it the Range Rover? that's only my thing that's with you

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by Sawzer(m): 7:25pm On Dec 13, 2018
anonymousjuju:
Hi Guys,

I am looking to get a new car for myself. Presently, i am torn between two cars.

I am in love with both and would need your advise on which i should go for as i cannot afford both at once.

I am looking at

2008 Toyota Camry sport Edition

and

2008 BMW 523i

Please i would need your advise on which i should go for and as i'm not so much knowledgeable about cars, i would like to know the merit and demerit of both cars for comparison.

Fuel Consumption
Maintenance Level
Durability
etc that i would need to know
And if there are readily auto technicians that can handle it.

Thanks y'all

Oboi,BMW straight

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by erico2k2(m): 8:24pm On Dec 13, 2018
VeeBabs:

Sorry, I don't deal cars for a living like you do. Every car post you see on my topics list are private sales for persons I know at a particular place.

But wait, you mean you had to "run a scan" on me to help you decide how to respond? I didn't even bother with your profile until now, following your lead.

And sorry if all my grammar made your head hurt. You see why I said I hate it in the first place?

Grammer? ahah Better People blow grammer on the streets of london I still mark their book, you dey try your lean best U dey rake,this was the 2nd time you abarassed yourself, btw, U dont deal cars my asssss, and who told you I deal cars for living?I sold my last car on here 11 years ago FYI
Run Scan on you from here grin grin grin grin grin, is that what it is called , You must have personality disorder nurey U must collect ur thing by fire by force grin grin grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by erico2k2(m): 8:25pm On Dec 13, 2018
nurey:

is it the Range Rover? that's only my thing that's with you
grin grin grin grin
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by VeeBabs(m): 9:26pm On Dec 13, 2018
erico2k2:

Grammer? ahah Better People blow grammer on the streets of london I still mark their book, you dey try your lean best U dey rake,this was teh 2nd time you abaraased yourself, btw, U dont deal cars my asssss, and who told you I deal cars for l iving?I sold my last car o n here 11 years ago FYI
Run Scan on you from here grin grin grin grin grin, is that waht it is called , You must have personality disorder nurey U must collect ur thing by fire by force grin grin grin

You should perform an idle relearn on your spelling and punctuations. You amuse no-one with your London street cred.

Adios, car dealer. Adios!
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by nurey(m): 9:37pm On Dec 13, 2018
veeBabs and erico2k2 let's sheath our sword I don't want to know who is at fault or who started it enough of your childish ramblings you are warned.

compliment of the season to you both
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by thebigkendo(m): 9:40pm On Dec 13, 2018
Diportivo come & separate fight angry
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by erico2k2(m): 10:20pm On Dec 13, 2018
VeeBabs:

You should perform an idle relearn on your spelling and punctuations. You amuse no-one with your London street cred.

Adios, car dealer. Adios!
U mst be daft, where U see English?, or you think it is easy writting in pidgin, why dont you try it. London street credibility aha, is that one of ur car jargons? and stop deviating from the facts here, you are th one who help people sell cars and collect comission, stop denying your trade please!, thats all you do on nairaland!
PS: I can spell wahtever I want anyway I like, still it does not change the fact that you know jack shyte about cars,, like I said earlier, Stick to Car sales,Mr Automatic Manual

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by erico2k2(m): 10:26pm On Dec 13, 2018
nurey:
veeBabs and erico2k2 let's sheath our sword I don't want to know who is at fault or who started it enough of your childish ramblings you are warned.

Nor mind that yeye guy, E don F up, E wan take style hide, Me I nor gree, E must loyal! grin grin grin
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by CityNGR: 10:59pm On Dec 13, 2018
Until fuel subsidy is removed, fuel crisis remains imminent – Kachikwu

Minister of State for petroleum Resources, Mr. Ibe Kachikwu, Thursday, stated that until the downstream sector of the Nigerian petroleum industry is liberalized and subsidy of petroleum products removed, the country would continue to struggle and face challenges in terms of ensuring stable fuel supply. Kachikwu •Kachikwu: Hosted APC Northern leaders Speaking in Abuja, at the presentation of the key achievements of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources in three years, 2016 to 2018 and award to staff of the ministry, Kachikwu, argued that to address fuel supply challenges, the country needed to find a way to satisfy the need to provide products sufficiently for the populace and at the same time to be able to free the sector for growth. He said, “In the midstream and downstream sectors, we have struggled. I would love to see a day when there would be no fuel scarcity in this country. But for that to happen, there are certain realities. The liberalization of the sector is going to be a panacea to being able to solve this. As long as we continue to subsidise products, create market-unfriendly type practices, we would continue to struggle. “We are not going to trade our way out of the fuel crisis by bringing sufficiency, by expanding reserves, by extravagant costs which cost the country a lot of money; that is not the solution. The solution is to get our refineries working.” Kachikwu noted that investments are lacking in the petroleum sector, adding that over the years, refineries’ turn around maintenance, TAM, had been fraught with faulty models which had hampered the effectiveness of the refineries.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/12/until-fuel-subsidy-is-removed-fuel-crisis-remains-imminent-kachikwu/
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by diportivo: 4:30am On Dec 14, 2018
nurey:

I disagree with the bolded

what both parties shld do is upgrade their armour and keep firing missiles angry

thebigkendo:
Diportivo come & separate fight angry

I was about to,

until dru's brother scattered the thread with fuel scarcity talk undecided

so,I have decided to stay on my bed and mind my business

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by CityNGR: 6:46am On Dec 14, 2018
diportivo:

I disagree with the bolded

what both parties shld do is upgrade their armour and keep firing missiles angry

I was about to,

until Diportivo's brother scattered the thread with fuel scarcity talk undecided

so,I have decided to stay on my bed and mind my business

Fixed.
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by VeeBabs(m): 7:02am On Dec 15, 2018
erico2k2:

U mst be daft, where U see English?, or you think it is easy writting in pidgin, why dont you try it. London street credibility aha, is that one of ur car jargons? and stop deviating from the facts here, you are th one who help people sell cars and collect comission, stop denying your trade please!, thats all you do on nairaland!
PS: I can spell wahtever I want anyway I like, still it does not change the fact that you know jack shyte about cars,, like I said earlier, Stick to Car sales,Mr Automatic Manual

Better shut your bonnet and turn off that London-used engine.

I just did mine. Adios.

PS: My apologies to everyone else.

2 Likes

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by erico2k2(m): 4:22pm On Dec 15, 2018
VeeBabs:

I just did mine. Adios.

bross go sell cars abeg, leave people wey wan contribute positively and constructively to do so.Stick to Car Sales!.

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by Inception(m): 4:48pm On Dec 15, 2018
VeeBabs:

I just did mine. Adios.

Chai
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by CityNGR: 6:32pm On Dec 15, 2018
VeeBabs:

I just did mine. Adios.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by bababodmas(m): 7:52pm On Dec 18, 2018
anonymousjuju:

Okay, please i would like to know why i should stay away from the BMW, is there something i need to worry about ?

I presently drive a 2007 Honda Accord and i've handled it quite well with little or less problems. Can't same be applied in handling the bmw or camry ? I like elegance.

Bros give me that ur old Accord na...since u wan buy new whip
Re: Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i by Kayharry(m): 9:57pm On Mar 31, 2022

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Honda"evil Spirit"is This Name Given By The Manufacturer Or Users? / The PAJERO Club / Please Where Is The Best Place To Respray A Car In Abuja ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.