Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,827 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:39 AM

How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? (12841 Views)

Car Maintenance: 5 Useful Tips Every Car Owner Should Know About / 21 Car Maintenance Tips That Will Make Your Car Last Longer / 10 Things That Can Make Your Car Look More Beautiful (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by oseiwe(m): 9:51am On Jun 01, 2017
Toyota corolla 2005 model, I only drive on some weekends, I service once a year, 7k in total as at last two months.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by CarReg(m): 9:59am On Jun 01, 2017
Patronize a corporate Organization for vehicle paper renewal

We are here to make the logistics of vehicle particulars easy for you…..

CarReg is a e-commerce & logistic company with a secured Online 2 Offline (O2O) platform https://www.carreg.com.ng that helps in facilitating the renewal of your vehicle particulars and delivery

Our Office is at 14a Bayo Dejonwo Street, Maryland Ikeja

4 Steps only and received your particulars within hours
1. Click on the URL https://carreg.com.ng/index.php?pg1-cid48_html
2. Choose any of the services by clicking “Add to cart”, e.g Car Renewal or Combo SUV Renewal or Vehicle License - Car
3. Click check out at the Top right corner of the page
4. Provide your name and delivery details

Call our contact center 09090144706 to even book renewal offline

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by bravolad(m): 10:03am On Jun 01, 2017
CarReg:
Patronize a corporate Organization for vehicle paper renewal

We are here to make the logistics of vehicle particulars easy for you…..

CarReg is a e-commerce & logistic company with a secured Online 2 Offline (O2O) platform https://www.carreg.com.ng that helps in facilitating the renewal of your vehicle particulars and delivery

Our Office is at 14a Bayo Dejonwo Street, Maryland Ikeja

4 Steps only and received your particulars within hours
1. Click on the URL https://carreg.com.ng/index.php?pg1-cid48_html
2. Choose any of the services by clicking “Add to cart”, e.g Car Renewal or Combo SUV Renewal or Vehicle License - Car
3. Click check out at the Top right corner of the page
4. Provide your name and delivery details

Call our contact center 09090144706 to even book renewal offline

It makes a lot more sense to open a thread of yours rather than derail this one with your unrelated topic. That way you get some patronage and refs too.

6 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by Blackfire(m): 10:08am On Jun 01, 2017
iamDaisy:
Like 40,000 a year, don't really take notice of the work that is done, i just go there, drop the car and pick it up hours later.

How much is appropriate for Toyota camry aka spider 2008 model?

Happy New month
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by vani86: 11:04am On Jun 01, 2017
Please when you say service, what exactly do you mean.

I have a 2009 camry, use total 20W 50. Change it with oil filter every 4 months.

Last changed my brake pads in dec, have no issues there.

Also changed my engine air filter as well as cabin air filter in January. For those who have not changed their cabin air filter do so, the difference is massive

Got my car in 2015, have never changed the coolant but will do that this weekend, only changed the transmission fluid last month.

Never changed the steering fluid or brake fluid.

Never changed my tyres although i working on changing the front 2 as soon as possible.

My car have never been to the mechanic apart from when my hubs started making a droning noise when driving, the mechanic merely rotated the tyres and the noise stopped.

Spend 20k on fuel each month. Drive from asaba to osha for work each day and back.

I do the occasional wheel balancing and alignment prob 3- 4 times a year

So abeg, what else needs servicing?

4 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by AutoElectNG: 11:08am On Jun 01, 2017
SirJeffry:
Buy a new car and you don't have to worry about maintenance cost atleast for two years because most car manufacturing coys give that as free package.

Sell off the car after 5yrs, buy another new one and the cycle continues. Most cars don't give stress until after 5yrs. Do this and have peace of mind with automobile.

Almost all manufacturers have to respond to issues caused by miscalculations/errors/unknown conditions/interactions between components in real-world use versus during production/factory tests.

Let me give an example.

Honda Accord 2017 has the following problems as at today:

1. Regular driving on dirty and dusty roads in dry and dusty conditions can trip on an EVAP code

2. Pronounced rattle noise coming from the rear tray when playing bassy music

Honda Accord 2016 has the following problems as at today:

1. Fuel leaks from the fuel tank to the fuel pump connection
2. Lost crankshaft position sensor signal due to corrosion in the engine wire harness
3. Engine that will crank but never start due to a problem with the No. 5 meter 10amp fuse
4. Engine rattle at startup for 1 to 3 seconds from a problematic vtc actuator lock pin
5. Popping, squeaking, clunking and creaking noises from the vehicle front suspension
6. Thumping and flapping sounds from vehicle rear when fan at high speed mode and climate control system in recirculation mode
7. MIL blinking, engine intermittent rattling and rough running during light acceleration or a steady cruise of between 30 and 65 mph
8. PCM software error that causes a low pressure problem in the cvt sometimes resulting in a slipping cvt belt and rpm surges when driving at highway speeds turning on the MIL
9. A judder from the torque converter lock-up clutch may be felt while driving between 20 and 60mph. the problem is typically misdiagnosed as a bad torque converter. When the true cause of the problem is ATF detoriation from intermittent high heat loads under certain driving conditions
10. A indash clock that resets or shows the wrong time likely due to a bad chip in the audio unit
11. Entering web browser text overwrites characters or voice recognition ends before you can speak due to mismatched radio information
12. Delamination issues within an i.c. produced by nxp and assembled into airbag sensor supplied by denso international america, inc. this delamination issue manifests itself as an open circuit within
13. Distorted/blurry rear window glass especially when viewed through the rearview mirror
14. Noticeable wind noise at ear level from either the driver's or the front passenger's window caused by a gap between the run channel and inner sash
15. Regular driving on dirty and dusty roads in dry and dusty conditions can trip on an EVAP code
16. Pronounced rattle noise coming from the rear tray when playing bassy music

Buying a new car does not mean no car trouble. Some of these problems are still being investigated. For other problems, only temporary fixes have been suggested pending conclusion of remediation internal tests at the factory.

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by littlejoe8(m): 11:15am On Jun 01, 2017
LeJeun3:

This post isn't about money but about a defacto issue. It's coming against the backdrop of the cry of several people about how expensive it is to maintain a Range Rover, Range Rover Sport or Discoveries.

Each vehicle comes with a recommendation for all fluids the vehicle uses...... There are acceptable ranges and also most use as stated in the manual.

We also are aware of the fact that getting fluids as recommended are more difficult because they are more expensive.

I would like simple posts like:

Car Model:
Service interval:
Engine oil used:
Quantity:
Cost of oil filter:

Cars gurus will give inputs as per correctness and how genuine the parts maybe.

Cc: Gazzuzz, kingreign, sooperrescue, egunmogaji

Car Model: 2009 Toyota Corolla
Service Interval: 5000 Miles
Engine Oil Used: Total 20W 50 - 4 Litres
Cost of Oil: 5000 Naira

Other services like Gear Oil, Break pad e.t.c. are not regular.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by vani86: 11:16am On Jun 01, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Almost all manufacturers have to respond to issues caused by miscalculations/errors/unknown conditions/interactions between components in real-world use versus during production/factory tests.

Let me give an example.

Honda Accord 2017 has the following problems as at today:

1. Regular driving on dirty and dusty roads in dry and dusty conditions can trip on an EVAP code

2. Pronounced rattle noise coming from the rear tray when playing bassy music

Honda Accord 2016 has the following problems as at today:
1. Fuel leaks from the fuel tank to the fuel pump connection
2. Lost crankshaft position sensor signal due to corrosion in the engine wire harness
3. Engine that will crank but never start due to a problem with the No. 5 meter 10amp fuse
4. Engine rattle at startup for 1 to 3 seconds from a problematic vtc actuator lock pin
5. Popping, squeaking, clunking and creaking noises from the vehicle front suspension
6. Thumping and flapping sounds from vehicle rear when fan at high speed mode and climate control system in recirculation mode
7. MIL blinking, engine intermittent rattling and rough running during light acceleration or a steady cruise of between 30 and 65 mph
8. PCM software error that causes a low pressure problem in the cvt sometimes resulting in a slipping cvt belt and rpm surges when driving at highway speeds turning on the MIL
9. A judder from the torque converter lock-up clutch may be felt while driving between 20 and 60mph. the problem is typically midiagnosed as a bad torque converter. When the true cause of the problem is ATF detoriation from intermittent high heat loads under certain driving conditions
10. A indash clock that resets or shows the wrong time likely due to a bad chip in the audio unit
11. Entering web browser text overwrites characters or voice recognition ends before you can speak due to mismatched radio information

12. Delamination issues within an i.c. produced by nxp and assembled into airbag sensor supplied by denso international america, inc. this delamination issue manifests itself as an open circuit within
13. Distorted/blurry rear window glass especially when viewed through the rearview mirror
14. Noticeable wind noise at ear level from either the driver's or the front passenger's window caused by a gap between the run channel and inner sash
15. Regular driving on dirty and dusty roads in dry and dusty conditions can trip on an EVAP code
16. Pronounced rattle noise coming from the rear tray when playing bassy music

Buying a new car does not mean no car trouble.

Thank you, 2007 camry had a timing belt problem, use oil excessively.

Vehicle experts will advice you not to buy the 1st generation of a new model due to unforseen issues that will crop up, instead hold out for the 2nd generation when these issues have been fixed or go for the last generation of the previous model, those ones are always decked out and all issues sorted

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by ogawisdom(m): 11:39am On Jun 01, 2017
teejarny:
I use a Toyota corolla sport 2004 model. I use mobil super 20w_50 oil. Cost is #4,700 naira. Also a 1,500 oil filter. I service my car every five months and I run an average of 1000km a month. Before servicing I will notice that the oil level is low almost getting to the minimum mark. Am always worried that the engine is 'shorten oil' by 5months usage. But my Alfa jimoh mechanic will tell me there is nothing wrong with my engine. It gives me a cool sound and brings out condensed steam from the exhaust on a cold morning. Fellows, what advice do you have for me?

3 months or 3000km is OK for 20w50 oil

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by ogawisdom(m): 11:44am On Jun 01, 2017
SirJeffry:
Buy a new car and you don't have to worry about maintenance cost atleast for two years because most car manufacturing coys give that as free package.

Sell off the car after 5yrs, buy another new one and the cycle continues. Most cars don't give stress until after 5yrs. Do this and have peace of mind with automobile.

I hope u will give us d money for brand new cars, only 5% of Nigerians can afford brand new cars

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by goodnija: 11:55am On Jun 01, 2017
We have full synthetic oil SAE 5w20 & 5w30 direct from USA called Everest for sale
Each can is 5l i.e. 1 gallon
Price is N14000
But if buying many than we
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by thebigkendo(m): 12:46pm On Jun 01, 2017
amb962:
Car Model: Honda Pilot 2004 V6 3.5 litre engine
Service interval:
Engine oil used: Mobil 1 5W30
Quantity: 6 litres (N16,600)

Cost of oil filter: N1,800 (can't remember exact amount)

Bought my car in March 2017 and did the servicing immediately. Manufacturers approved oil is 5W20 but its not available in Nigeria. my mechanic says i will do the maintenance again in October after 6months. He says i will only have to service it again if i travel on a very long distance i.e east and back to Lagos.

Oga where you see mobil 1 for that price? Abi na Mobil 1 for mobile filling stations?
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by Paentera(m): 2:08pm On Jun 01, 2017
LeJeun3:

This post isn't about money but about a defacto issue. It's coming against the backdrop of the cry of several people about how expensive it is to maintain a Range Rover, Range Rover Sport or Discoveries.

Each vehicle comes with a recommendation for all fluids the vehicle uses...... There are acceptable ranges and also most use as stated in the manual.

We also are aware of the fact that getting fluids as recommended are more difficult because they are more expensive.

I would like simple posts like:

Car Model:
Service interval:
Engine oil used:
Quantity:
Cost of oil filter:

Cars gurus will give inputs as per correctness and how genuine the parts maybe.

Cc: Gazzuzz, kingreign, sooperrescue, egunmogaji

Car Model: Kia Rio 2013
Service interval: Quarterly
Engine oil used: CEPSA 4 or 5
Quantity: 1 gallon
Cost of oil filter: Not sure

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by autotrader2: 3:51pm On Jun 01, 2017
vani86:
Please when you say service, what exactly do you mean.

I have a 2009 camry, use total 20W 50. Change it with oil filter every 4 months.

Last changed my brake pads in dec, have no issues there.

Also changed my engine air filter as well as cabin air filter in January. For those who have not changed their cabin air filter do so, the difference is massive

Got my car in 2015, have never changed the coolant but will do that this weekend, only changed the transmission fluid last month.

Never changed the steering fluid or brake fluid.

Never changed my tyres although i working on changing the front 2 as soon as possible.

My car have never been to the mechanic apart from when my hubs started making a droning noise when driving, the mechanic merely rotated the tyres and the noise stopped.

Spend 20k on fuel each month. Drive from asaba to osha for work each day and back.

I do the occasional wheel balancing and alignment prob 3- 4 times a year

So abeg, what else needs servicing?

2009 Camry and you use 20w50 oil! Just price the engine and you'll advise yourself better.

That car requires 5w20 oil

3 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by vani86: 3:59pm On Jun 01, 2017
autotrader2:

2009 Camry and you use 20w50 oil! Just price the engine and you'll advise yourself better.

That car requires 5w20 oil

I know, but trust me, that oil is rare as Bleep in nigeria.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by emmaak2(m): 4:42pm On Jun 01, 2017
CAMRY 01 SINCE 2012 BEEN USING 20w50
is it appropriate to change
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by autotrader2: 4:48pm On Jun 01, 2017
vani86:

I know, but trust me, that oil is rare as Bleep in nigeria.

Available here now. Call 09086679585 to get it.

Nationwide Shipping from PH

https://www.nairaland.com/2880651/us-engine-oils-toyota-motor/27
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by kingreign(m): 9:37pm On Jun 01, 2017
vani86:

Thank you, 2007 camry had a timing belt problem, use oil excessively.

Vehicle experts will advice you not to buy the 1st generation of a new model due to unforseen issues that will crop up, instead hold out for the 2nd generation when these issues have been fixed or go for the last generation of the previous model, those ones are always decked out and all issues sorted
xv40 07 camry do not use timing belt. They use timing chains. No issues whatsoever with their timing chain that needs Tsb under normal usage except wear and tear.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by kingreign(m): 9:45pm On Jun 01, 2017
Double post
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by kingreign(m): 9:45pm On Jun 01, 2017
2005 lexus rx330 oil type: Toyota synthetic oil 5w30 sn 4.9L (17,500) oil filter: purolator (2,000) service interval: 5000mi/6months which ever comes 1st. My actual service interval: 4,5000mi
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by vani86: 9:59pm On Jun 01, 2017
autotrader2:

Available here now. Call 09086679585 to get it.

Nationwide Shipping from PH

https://www.nairaland.com/2880651/us-engine-oils-toyota-motor/27

How much for a litre
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by autotrader2: 5:22am On Jun 02, 2017
vani86:

How much for a litre

3k. All the details are in my thread. Better still, you can call 09086679585 to clarify
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by khaleesi(f): 7:36am On Jun 02, 2017
vani86:

Pls how much did you get a new cabin filter? I need to change mine. My A.C doesnt cool well enough. When I feel the Ac vent there is cold air but doesnt seem to be spreading
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by amb962(m): 8:49am On Jun 02, 2017
thebigkendo:

Oga where you see mobil 1 for that price? Abi na Mobil 1 for mobile filling stations?

i don't know what you mean. I bought the oil at Mobil Station in Amuwo Odofin. The 5litre gallon was N13,000 and 1litre was N3,600. That was way back in March 2017. How much is it supposed to be.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by amb962(m): 9:31am On Jun 02, 2017
greenhulk:

Actually I use 05 pilot and the manual says when the car is used for traveling then u don't need to change the oil often, just normal maintenance. But if what u do most is short distance, stop and go traffic, driving in dusty environ then follow severe maintenance schedule which is when u will change ur oil more often. So bro the more u travel with the car the longer the time u need to change the oil.

Thank you for the comment. i actually drive everyday in traffic(Lagos island, Okota, Festac) and dusty roads(untarred roads). This is actually the first service i have done since i bought the car. do i need to service it now before i travel to the east with it next week. your kind response will be appreciated.

Over the weekend, the maintenance required light & temperature light came up on my dashboard. what can i do to rectify this.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by thebigkendo(m): 10:30am On Jun 02, 2017
amb962:

i don't know what you mean. I bought the oil at Mobil Station in Amuwo Odofin. The 5litre gallon was N13,000 and 1litre was N3,600. That was way back in March 2017. How much is it supposed to be.

okay its the nigerian Mobil 1, i thought it was the US advanced full synthetic mobil 1, its far better than the one sold at mobil filling stations, i bought 20k last month, 5 US quarts which is about 4.7litre

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by vani86: 12:05pm On Jun 02, 2017
khaleesi:

Pls how much did you get a new cabin filter? I need to change mine. My A.C doesnt cool well enough. When I feel the Ac vent there is cold air but doesnt seem to be spreading

Btw 3500 and 4000.

You can change it yourself. Its very simple. Its just behind the glove compartment. There is a remarkable difference when you install a new one
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by amb962(m): 12:25pm On Jun 02, 2017
thebigkendo:

okay its the nigerian Mobil 1, i thought it was the US advanced full synthetic mobil 1, its far better than the one sold at mobil filling stations, i bought 20k last month, 5 US quarts which is about 4.7litre

But its still not the recommended 5W20. do you have an idea where and how much i can get it.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by thebigkendo(m): 3:55pm On Jun 02, 2017
amb962:

But its still not the recommended 5W20. do you have an idea where and how much i can get it.
Mobil 1 has 5w-20 also but i will advice you use the 5w-30 .. 5w-20 will give you less fuel consumption while 5w-30 will give better engine protection at high temperature, as for were to buy Oga Gazzuzz sells, you can contact him on +2348033910382 BlackBerry PIN 2BE77AF2 WORKSHOP ADDRESS,NO 3 AWE STR OFF ALH HARUNA RD, HARUNA BUSTOP COLLEGE ROAD, IFAKO,LAGOS GPS address 6.64270 3.33477

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by dokiOloye(m): 4:33pm On Jun 02, 2017
thebigkendo:

Pls,where did U buy from?
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by thebigkendo(m): 4:45pm On Jun 02, 2017
dokiOloye:
Pls,where did U buy from?
i ordered on konga but its no longer there, i guess the seller's stock is finished, Contact Gazzuzz
thebigkendo:

Mobil 1 has 5w-20 also but i will advice you use the 5w-30 .. 5w-20 will give you less fuel consumption while 5w-30 will give better engine protection at high temperature, as for were to buy Oga Gazzuzz sells, you can contact him on +2348033910382 BlackBerry PIN 2BE77AF2 WORKSHOP ADDRESS,NO 3 AWE STR OFF ALH HARUNA RD, HARUNA BUSTOP COLLEGE ROAD, IFAKO,LAGOS GPS address 6.64270 3.33477
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jun 02, 2017
amb962:

Thank you for the comment. i actually drive everyday in traffic(Lagos island, Okota, Festac) and dusty roads(untarred roads). This is actually the first service i have done since i bought the car. do i need to service it now before i travel to the east with it next week. your kind response will be appreciated.

Since u serviced it in March I don't think u need to service it again before going to the east. It depends on the mileage though. At what mileage did u change the oil and what is the mileage now. Under severe usage u should be able to go 4,000 miles before oil change.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reasons Why Your Car Vibrates / 5 Ways Kids Can Get Hurt When Inside A Car / How To Avoid Tire Blow-out By Pumping Right Pressure Into Your Tire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.