Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job (14123 Views)

GLO Sack Letter Based On Marital Status (Photo) / Messenger, 45, Slumps After Receiving Sack Letter / Woman Sacked By Kaduna Electric Faints After Reading Sack Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by monteriza(m): 6:18am On May 30, 2017
Now you’ve gotten the offer, retaining it is a different ball-game entirely. I have seen people who didn’t get their appointments confirmed after the six months probation period. I have also met those who got relieved of their jobs within a few weeks or days of receiving their appointment letters. The reason is obvious – They could not do the job.

Most recruitment processes involve submitting of applications, screening of applicants, writing of aptitude tests and oral interviews. Hence, it’s almost impossible for an employer to select the ideal candidate for the advertised position. Landing a job is all about presentation. If you have the skills, qualifications and experience to do a job but unable to present your CV as such, you don’t get shortlisted. If you can do the job but fail to convince the employer of your abilities at the interview, a less qualified candidate with better persuasive skills will take the job instead of you.

So, it’s very possible for you to land an offer for a position you know nothing about. If you happen to find yourself in such a situation, these few tips could be your saving grace:

1. Do your research.

Every job comes with a set of responsibilities. So, yours shouldn’t be any different. The first thing you should do is to find-out the duties you’re expected to perform on that position. For example, if you are employed as an Accountant, you are expected to record the company’s financial transactions, maintain the day books (also known as prime books or books of original entry), maintain the ledgers, prepare trading, profit and loss account and balance sheet, amongst others.

From the job description, note the ones you can do effectively, the ones you can fairly discharge and the ones you know nothing about. Then, start with the ones you know nothing about. Go to the internet and search for resources that’ll help you get them done. Don’t use just any resource you see, but the ones you can master in a few hours. In case you do not know, some resources are more reader friendly than others. They also have different objectives. With some, you can learn a skill in 4 weeks. With a different resource, you can learn the same skill in one day. Yes, you heard me right. What took Mr. A one full month to learn, you can learn it in one day, it all depends on the resources at your disposal.

Let me use myself as an example: Most people close to me know me to be an Excel guru. Some of them have been learning for months now and are still not better than me. What they do not know is that it took me less than 24 hours to master Excel. How did it happen? I was given a task that involves a lot of Excel to execute. I called a friend to help, but he was too busy at that time. So I had no choice than to do it myself. I went to the internet to search for resources. Luckily for me, I found some very reader friendly Excel video tutorials on Youtube. Each of the videos cover a topic, so I downloaded all the videos and started learning. The videos come with links to workbooks that you can use in practicing, so I leveraged on that too. That very day, in addition to solving my initial Excel problem, I used the knowledge I learnt to create several other Excel templates. I believe anyone can do same.

When you’re done with the ones you had no idea about, it’s time to move on to the areas where you have a fair knowledge. Do the same there.

2. Get help.

Sincerely speaking, it’s a very difficult thing to do. You don’t want your colleagues, especially your subordinates to know that you’re not competent. But here you don’t have a better option. Or would you prefer not to ask for help and mess up the task – putting your job on the line? If you ask me, there’s no shame in it. After all, nobody knows it all.

You don’t have to limit yourself to your work colleagues. You can put a call across to a course mate who you know can do the job, and ask for help. If it’s not urgent, you can go to forums like Nairaland and ask for help. People are always willing to help, provided you’re genuine and don’t sound arrogant.

3. Speak your mind.

Before assigning a task to you, your superior may ask if you can do it. If he does, lucky for you. Just be sincere to yourself and to him by telling him that you don’t know how to do it, but will seek help in getting it done. Even if he doesn’t, there’s still a way you can make him understand that the task is outside your core competencies. By so doing, you’re already on the safe side.

If you end-up doing a not-so-good job, chances are, you won’t receive the full weight of the hammer.

I hope it helps.

Source: https://patrickokunima.com/2017/05/30/3-tips-to-help-you-escape-a-sack-letter-when-you-cant-do-the-job-youre-hired-for/

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by eezeribe(m): 6:23am On May 30, 2017
For the left Quadrant occupants...

2 Likes

Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by YNWA1: 7:01am On May 30, 2017
I think I got something from that.

2 Likes

Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by Mkbryants(m): 7:47am On May 30, 2017
Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by NwaAmaikpe: 7:47am On May 30, 2017
angry

2 surefire things to keep you on a job no matter what.

-Submit your boss's name to a cele church or a herbalist

-Always wear your talisman/amulet in the office.

Thank me later

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by Kizyte(m): 7:49am On May 30, 2017
I vowed never to work under any company or business establishment again. Those guys see you as their slave... At the end of the day, they will kick you out without compensation angry

2 Likes

Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by Goodgate111(f): 7:51am On May 30, 2017
Alright
Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by hillsway(m): 7:51am On May 30, 2017
Ok
Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by olola4(m): 7:54am On May 30, 2017
nice write up
Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by Oladelson(m): 7:55am On May 30, 2017
okay oo
Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by God2man(m): 7:56am On May 30, 2017
Always ask questions from trusted and reliable colleague.

1 Like

Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by phlamesG: 7:56am On May 30, 2017
1: Don't try to challenge your boss

2: For ladies, always give your boss d needed satisfaction cool

2 Likes

Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by godunia(m): 7:57am On May 30, 2017
Thanks, though I m employed, I find this material informative.

1 Like

Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by jnrbayano(m): 7:58am On May 30, 2017
A good "attitude to work" will most likely keep you in the job even if you know next to nothing about your post

3 Likes

Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by Nobody: 8:03am On May 30, 2017
jst work for yasef nobody wil ever sack u
Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by OgbeniSir(m): 8:05am On May 30, 2017
monteriza:

Source: https://patrickokunima.com/2017/05/30/3-tips-to-help-you-escape-a-sack-letter-when-you-cant-do-the-job-youre-hired-for/

True talk bro, God bless you abeggi. That's how am able to procure my job as a Compliance Assistant manager in London. I basically blagged my way into the job during the interview stage, since then I been learning from the internet and am doing great. Collecting my £2400 a month after tax. Change am for naira and see how much it equates to...
So do not say NO to any job offer, take it and like OP said go and learn about the job description

2 Likes

Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by jashar(f): 8:31am On May 30, 2017
smiley
Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by frenzydilz(m): 8:41am On May 30, 2017
I gat no job right now

1 Like

Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by akoko11: 8:42am On May 30, 2017
Kizyte:
I vowed never to work under any company or business establishment again. Those guys see you as their slave... At the end of the day, they will kick you out without compensation angry

Are u talking from experience?
Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by Xzbit91: 8:44am On May 30, 2017
Good job OP, I found your article insightful
Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by kenniboy: 8:57am On May 30, 2017
monteriza:

Pls, share the link to the excel tutorials YouTube video and also the workbook.

Thanks
Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by ychris: 9:18am On May 30, 2017
You say you don't know how to do it.
Send go send you back immediately.

2 Likes

Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by Earthrealmlord: 9:20am On May 30, 2017
Nice!

Your second point tho ''Get help'' = MMM
Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by philipobiz: 9:24am On May 30, 2017
4. Quit the job before you are sacked
Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:49am On May 30, 2017
OgbeniSir:

True talk bro, God bless you abeggi. That's how am able to procure my job as a Compliance Assistant manager in London. I basically blagged my way into the job during the interview stage, since then I been learning from the internet and am doing great. Collecting my £2400 a month after tax. Change am for naira and see how much it equates to...
So do not say NO to any job offer, take it and like OP said go and learn about the job description

With all due respect, so you think you have made a positive contribution abi ?
You basically got a job you are unqualified for and we should clap for you ? And in Compliance for that matter...
Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by Kizyte(m): 10:21am On May 30, 2017
akoko11:

Are u talking from experience?
The last place I worked, I tendered my resignation letter before resigning honorably after working for them devoutly for 4 years. I wasn't given a compensation, rather the MD only calls me once in a while to ask about me. Thank God I'm now a self employed earning over 8 times what I used to collect as my salary.

1 Like

Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by Kizyte(m): 10:23am On May 30, 2017
sad
Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by colbankz(m): 10:42am On May 30, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
angry
2 surefire things to keep you on a job no matter what.
-Submit your boss's name to a cele church or a herbalist
-Always wear your talisman/amulet in the office.

Thank me later

Re: 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job by Rasheedinho3(m): 11:12am On May 30, 2017
Job needed!!!
I'm an Economics graduate and I'm through with Service. God bless you as you help.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How I Was Scammed By A German Company (payever) / FG Moves To Enforce ‘No Work, No Pay’ Rule / Things To Do At The Start Of Every Work Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.