Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,751 members, 7,806,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:49 AM

5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job (14676 Views)

10 Social Media Mistakes That Can Cost You Your Job And How To Avoid Them / 13 Questions You May Likely To See At Air Force Exam . / 6 Dominant Workplace Trends You Are Likely To Witness In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by Opinionated: 1:08pm On May 31, 2017
Your social media posts might win over friends and get you few hundred or thousand likes, shares or retweets, however they can also cost you a job. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 5 social media mistakes most likely to cost you a job.

You Complain About Work

When hiring managers sometimes browse through social media profiles of candidates, imagine what their impression of you will be when they see ‘job complaint posts’ on your wall. They are very likely going to be turned off and conclude that you are a potential danger to their brand (mainly because there is nothing to stop you from bad mouthing their firm too). The question then would be, ‘Would I want to hire a person that can be a potential danger to the brand of my firm?’ and the answer to that question is quite clear.

You’re Vulgar or Offensive

If you (with a personal account that you can be identified with) are offensive or vulgar enough on social media to warrant mentions or retweets, it’s out there for everyone to see and it’s especially visible to headhunters or hiring managers. For hiring managers or headhunters, it speaks volumes about your maturity and professionalism level (or lack thereof). God help you if the firm you applied to is in anyway affiliated to anyone or any organization you have insulted on social media (Sergi Guardiola comes to mind here).

Sharing Your Latest Job Offer

Some job offers are sometimes confidential and unintended to be shared in a space as public as social media. As a result, some firms react negatively to this, may see you as having broken confidentiality and may revoke their job offer. In the event, you can share the good news about the job offer with everyone and anyone, be sure you don’t say anything negative about it which can be seen by an employee or anyone affiliated with the firm or company.

Mocking or Complaining About Your Customers

Especially if you are working in the service industry, this is another social media activity to avoid. Like complaining about your boss or work, mocking or complaining about customers can also have equally negative effects. Complaining about your customers shows your company in a bad light, and if any of your customers see this complaint, they are most likely to report to your employer who is very likely to not tolerate such behavior from an employee.

Contradictory Posts

A candidate once narrated a heart-wrenching story of how she had to quit her previous job because she was injured in a car accident and was unable to return from a leave of absence. The hiring manager then decided to look through her social media profile and found pictures of her lounging and waterskiing on vacation around the same period. That was all that was needed to knock her out of the running for the position. Be careful with social media.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/5-social-media-mistakes-likely-cost-job/

cc; Lalasticlala, Mynd44

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by sheedy407(m): 1:20pm On May 31, 2017
What about us who dont have any social account/

1 Like

Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by NwaAmaikpe: 1:21pm On May 31, 2017
undecided
If you have a tribal mark on your profile picture on social media or any picture on your profile with people with tribal marks.

Walahi I will not employ you
or
I will sack you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by cremedelacreme: 1:21pm On May 31, 2017
It's only on anonymous forums like Nairaland that I post crazy things. I dare not try it on other social media platforms where my identity is known. tongue

4 Likes

Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by youngscholar(m): 1:21pm On May 31, 2017
Hmmm...Just observing on my own. grin
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by Rasheedinho3(m): 1:22pm On May 31, 2017
sheedy407:

you sha want this FTC so bad...
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by Tenim47(m): 1:22pm On May 31, 2017
undecided wil they check ur profile online and give u d job?
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by Chevalier(m): 1:22pm On May 31, 2017
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by IamOpemipo(m): 1:22pm On May 31, 2017
Running ya mouth in summary
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by masterpiece86: 1:22pm On May 31, 2017
Nice One...!!
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by TONIKEZ: 1:24pm On May 31, 2017
Na so u talk
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by xtivin(m): 1:24pm On May 31, 2017
Opinionated:
Your social media posts might win over friends and get you few hundred or thousand likes, shares or retweets, however they can also cost you a job. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 5 social media mistakes most likely to cost you a job.

You Complain About Work

When hiring managers sometimes browse through social media profiles of candidates, imagine what their impression of you will be when they see ‘job complaint posts’ on your wall. They are very likely going to be turned off and conclude that you are a potential danger to their brand (mainly because there is nothing to stop you from bad mouthing their firm too). The question then would be, ‘Would I want to hire a person that can be a potential danger to the brand of my firm?’ and the answer to that question is quite clear.

You’re Vulgar or Offensive

If you (with a personal account that you can be identified with) are offensive or vulgar enough on social media to warrant mentions or retweets, it’s out there for everyone to see and it’s especially visible to headhunters or hiring managers. For hiring managers or headhunters, it speaks volumes about your maturity and professionalism level (or lack thereof). God help you if the firm you applied to is in anyway affiliated to anyone or any organization you have insulted on social media (Sergi Guardiola comes to mind here).

Sharing Your Latest Job Offer

Some job offers are sometimes confidential and unintended to be shared in a space as public as social media. As a result, some firms react negatively to this, may see you as having broken confidentiality and may revoke their job offer. In the event, you can share the good news about the job offer with everyone and anyone, be sure you don’t say anything negative about it which can be seen by an employee or anyone affiliated with the firm or company.

Mocking or Complaining About Your Customers

Especially if you are working in the service industry, this is another social media activity to avoid. Like complaining about your boss or work, mocking or complaining about customers can also have equally negative effects. Complaining about your customers shows your company in a bad light, and if any of your customers see this complaint, they are most likely to report to your employer who is very likely to not tolerate such behavior from an employee.

Contradictory Posts

A candidate once narrated a heart-wrenching story of how she had to quit her previous job because she was injured in a car accident and was unable to return from a leave of absence. The hiring manager then decided to look through her social media profile and found pictures of her lounging and waterskiing on vacation around the same period. That was all that was needed to knock her out of the running for the position. Be careful with social media.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/5-social-media-mistakes-likely-cost-job/

cc; Lalasticlala, Mynd44
I was once a victim of wrong description of work experience and current employment details, Was later accused for having double Job, But I thank God for God
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by Nobody: 1:25pm On May 31, 2017
I guess I am in trouble. grin
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by Xzbit91: 1:26pm On May 31, 2017
Opinionated:

grin grin grin
This part made me laugh out really loud
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by siobh: 1:26pm On May 31, 2017
xtivin:

Must you quote everything?

NwaAmaikpe:
undecided
If you have a tribal mark on your profile picture on social media or any picture on your profile with people with tribal marks.

Walahi I will not employ you
or
I will sack you.
lol, asshole.
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by Nobody: 1:27pm On May 31, 2017
Nairaland moderators shld take note

Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by keko14: 1:30pm On May 31, 2017
everyday day job here job there, God please touch this employer let they pick our CV nd call.
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by NnamdiN: 1:36pm On May 31, 2017
For people looking for work na.
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by jashar(f): 1:41pm On May 31, 2017
cheesy

That last example though..... dem catch her.....
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by Oluwafreshing(m): 1:44pm On May 31, 2017
sheedy407:
keep your diary away from the office
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by Sibe007(m): 1:58pm On May 31, 2017
Good info, thanks OP
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by nkemdi89(f): 2:00pm On May 31, 2017
Sharing semi unclad pictures in compromising positions.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by Mentorkaryhm(m): 2:02pm On May 31, 2017
let there b a correlation between ur info on social media and the submitted ones
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by generaluthman: 2:08pm On May 31, 2017
noted
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by Dcrazyblogger: 2:14pm On May 31, 2017
Do you need AdSense to buy?
U.S.A/U.K/NAIJA AdSense available at affordable prices.

We also help you apply for AdSense and get your website approved....

Please note this not admob AdSense, All our AdSense were fully approved with high authority blogs.

Call/WhatsApp : 08132464030

Looking forward to serve you better.

Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by CAPTIVATOR: 2:22pm On May 31, 2017
cremedelacreme:
It's only on anonymous forums like Nairaland that I post crazy things. I dare not try it on other social media platforms where my identity is known. tongue

Who told you its anonymous ?
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by abbey621(m): 2:53pm On May 31, 2017
Your employer or potential employer has no business with your social media profiles. The major key here is not to disclose your social media accounts and never to comment on social media as a representative of the company.
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by Nobody: 4:28pm On May 31, 2017
who will be silly enough to disclose social media account info to employers? if they are not satisfied with linkedin, that is their problem.
Re: 5 Social Media Mistakes Most Likely To Cost You A Job by Dollabiz: 5:01pm On May 31, 2017
O

(1) (2) (Reply)

15 Common Mistakes In Choosing A Career / My Plight With A Recruiting Firm / 6 Useful Career Building Tips For Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.