Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,782 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:28 PM

Maize Farmers Come In Here - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Maize Farmers Come In Here (30366 Views)

Imports, Low Prices Hurt Maize Farmers / Maize Farmers Only / Farmers! Come On In For Maggot Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by TokyoBulls(m): 4:05pm On Aug 16, 2017
Yield potential is clearly written on the bag. 5 to 7 tonnes per acre. I have not planted Oba 98 before but I am aware it gives the best yield of all Premier Seeds maize varieties, just that is it white. If any seed company gives you yield potential, ask for actual yield on the farm. Potential yield is yield achieved in small demonstration farms (ideally one or two plots) with treated soil, no weed at all, optimal spacing, optimal fertilizer application etc. These are ideal or near ideal conditions and cannot be achieved on real farms. How do I use treated soils for a farm of 160 acres?
Not possible. So for 7 to 8 tonnes per hectare, one should expect between 3 to 5 and with a lot of hard work, maybe 6. Let me give an example.
I saw Pioneer Seed ad and called. Their yield potential is 10 to 12 tonnes per hectare. When I probed further, I discovered that 93% of the farmers get about 5.6 tonnes per hectare. That is the number one can work with not potential.
Penkelemess:

Apologies, but yield/potential for Oba Super 98 is 7-8 tons according to the suppliers. Could you please kindly let us know how how you got your results? Thanks

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by TokyoBulls(m): 4:15pm On Aug 16, 2017
@stagger. Thank you for this picture. My neighbour's case was much worse. 100 acres of maize. His workers even went the extra mile and used a boom sprayer to spray non-selective herbicides at around week 4 or 5 after planting. The entire farm except the few (less than 5%) plants that escaped survived. Herbicides (or any other chemical at that) needs proper knowledge. One needs to study the active ingredients and be sure (and double sure) that the chemical will not adversely affect the crops. Whenever you have a tiny doubt, spray it on one or two plants and watch the effect over few days.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by agrowumi: 5:22pm On Aug 16, 2017
Wow cool thread . @fison dat was massive and thanks for sharing but na market b koko oooo
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by stagger: 9:19pm On Aug 16, 2017
TokyoBulls:
@stagger. Thank you for this picture. My neighbour's case was much worse. 100 acres of maize. His workers even went the extra mile and used a boom sprayer to spray non-selective herbicides at around week 4 or 5 after planting. The entire farm except the few (less than 5%) plants that escaped survived. Herbicides (or any other chemical at that) needs proper knowledge. One needs to study the active ingredients and be sure (and double sure) that the chemical will not adversely affect the crops. Whenever you have a tiny doubt, spray it on one or two plants and watch the effect over few days.

Hmm! A boom sprayer!

What a colossal loss.
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by Faazeem: 9:30am On Aug 22, 2017
Good day all, I am so thrilled by this thread. I am a newbie and reside in Ibadan. Planned to test run maize cultivation this next planting season but I need mentorship and real practical example. I don't know if I can get a mentor who resides and farms in Ibadan. I will be grateful. Keep on the good. My number is 08120051094. Also my whatsapp number
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by gabe: 10:14am On Aug 22, 2017
Muktar111:
1.5 hectare maize farm leased in Niyya Farms Kaduna state; Cost so far:-
#15,000 for the annual lease
#10,000 for manual clearing
#7,200 for ploughing
#20,000 for manual planting
#5,000 for spraying (powerforce and crackdown)
#9,000 for seeds (Sammaz 37)
#90,000 for fertilizer (8 bags of NPK 20:10:10 and 6 bags of urea)
Total so far: #156,000
your ploughing and clearing costs are so low. Is it because of an abundance of tractors and flat land in ur area?
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by jackomagnus(m): 6:09am On Aug 23, 2017
stagger:
I just got the following:

- 20kg of Oba98 at N375 per kilo from Premier Seeds: (7,500)
- Leased 1 hectare of land: 10,500
- land clearing: 20,000 (opted for manual clearing to preserve the top soil. I also want to plough in the stump remnants into the soil)
- 3 litres of Paraquat @ 1,600 each: 4,800
- 3 kg of Atrazine Powder @ 2,300 each: 6,900
- Sprayer will spray the herbicides at 10,500 for the entire hectare.
- Seed planter from China: 50,000 (could have been cheaper but I used express shipping). I plan to hire 1 person to plant the whole hectare in one day @ 5,000 max. I want to get the spacing spot on and reduce labour costs.
- Tractor hiring for tilling and harrowing: not yet negotiated.

Here is my plan.
- I will plant half the land now, and half in two weeks time. This is to provide a gap in fruiting to allow me sell the first half fresh.
- I plan to use organic fertilizer 100%. I have searched for the inorganic one at govt price of 5,500. It is not available and it is N10,000 in the open market. Not cost-effective if you ask me.
- Insecticides will be used at the appropriate time.

Threats?
- Rodents
- Birds
- ??Army worms
- Herdsmen

Still searching for solutions to these possible threats. I am told that special routes for grazing were created for the herdsmen in that area and there have been no squabbles between farmers and the herdsmen in that area in recent history. We shall see how this goes.

TARGETS
2 cobs per plant, X 50,000 plants at spacing of 25cm X 75cm goal will deliver 100,000 cobs.
Allowance will be made for 50% loss of plants, so we aim to get 50,000 fresh cobs, 100 cobs per bag, N3,000 per bag. This will deliver returns of N1.5m as worst case scenario (for investment of N200,000).

I plan to sell fresh maize, not shelled maize. I will do shelled maize in the dry season with a borehole on another land I own.

Please note: this is a pilot project so my goal here is to learn, learn and learn before I expand.
- Shelled maize vs Fresh maize: which pays better?
- is 100% organic fertilizer use a feasible replacement for inorganic NPK/Urea?
- what is the best solution to contain the threats I mentioned above?

These are the questions I seek to answer.

shocked N30 per maize cob?? I'd heard of N6 hitherto

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by stagger: 8:48am On Aug 23, 2017
jackomagnus:

shocked N30 per maize cob?? I'd heard of N6 hitherto

Where?

Some places in Abuja, corn goes for N70 to N100 for big sizes in retail spots.
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by jackomagnus(m): 7:00pm On Aug 24, 2017
stagger:

Where?

Some places in Abuja, corn goes for N70 to N100 for big sizes in retail spots.

Not retail bro... Talking about buying fresh cobs from the farm
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by maisauki: 10:10pm On Aug 24, 2017
stagger:

Without cobs is the usual way it is measured, i.e. shelled maize. meanwhile 4.7 tonnes per hectare is quite impressive given the challenges.
Oga na wia you take do d farm cos as far as i know d max you can get from one hectare is 2.5
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by stagger: 8:48am On Aug 25, 2017
maisauki:

Oga na wia you take do d farm cos as far as i know d max you can get from one hectare is 2.5

Why are you quoting me? Someone here said he did 4.7tonnes per hectare and I commented that it was quite impressive. You now come asking me where I take do d farm? Is it my farm or my harvest?

For you to still be doing 2.5 tonnes per hectare means you are still doing hoe and cutlass farming. Check your agronomy methods. Maybe your "methods are too simple" as your moniker implies.
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by stagger: 8:50am On Aug 25, 2017
jackomagnus:

Not retail bro... Talking about buying fresh cobs from the farm

Yes I know what you meant. A bag of corn is N7,000 here. Surely a bag cannot contain 1,000 pieces to be at N6 per cob, can it? That is why I also asked where in Nigeria it goes for N6 per cob at farm gate. Do you know how much fertilizer and inputs such as insecticides and herbicides cost in this part of the country?

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by adescopy(m): 4:44pm On Aug 25, 2017
stagger:

Yes I know what you meant. A bag of corn is N7,000 here. Surely a bag cannot contain 1,000 pieces to be at N6 per cob, can it? That is why I also asked where in Nigeria it goes for N6 per cob at farm gate. Do you know how much fertilizer and inputs such as insecticides and herbicides cost in this part of the country?
A Female buyer I wanted to sell to said #6000 for 120 piece of big size corn @ Abeokuta

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by jackomagnus(m): 5:41pm On Aug 25, 2017
adescopy:
A Female buyer I wanted to sell to said #6000 for 120 piece of big size corn @ Abeokuta

Alright bro
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by jackomagnus(m): 5:45pm On Aug 25, 2017
maisauki:

Chai, you are sleeping on a bike o!
Wake up sharp sharp!

Where some in this very same country are getting 8tons/ha you still dey there dey talk about 2.5 undecided
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by OluchiDelly: 8:08am On Aug 26, 2017
adescopy:

Hotcakes! Abeg sell sharp sharp. That means #50 per 1pc @farmgate price. I wonder how much she would resell, because average price of corn(roasted or cooked) goes for #50 at retail in South west generally.

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by maisauki: 9:47am On Aug 27, 2017
jackomagnus:

Chai, you are sleeping on a bike o!
Wake up sharp sharp!

Where some in this very same country are getting 8tons/ha you still dey there dey talk about 2.5 undecided
Oga learning has no boundary...lemme learn from you now
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by Gadgetmobil(m): 3:44pm On Sep 04, 2017
bingocalous:
Is your seed planter the usual one attached to a tractor or yours is different? Pls elaborate even with picture if you wouldn't mind...thanks a lot. Have about 20hecters of maize farm and actually spent above 160k for planting it.... Seed planter would have bin oreverable cause I still pay for replanting even after germination....

I just spoke with my brother here and having not met me, he unravelled a lot of information to me.
Nigerians are great people don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Engr I sincerely appreciate.
Thank you all for your contribution to this forum.
Mr Benjamin
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by graciousme(f): 12:58pm On Jan 02, 2018
Good thread. Learnt a lot so far. Please does anyone knows how one can get farming land to lease in Abuja and environs?
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by Oyecute(m): 12:32am On Jan 03, 2018
Dry Hybrid Maize (yellow) for sale in Ibadan.
It will be supplied directly from the farm.
If interested, kindly contact 7066438913.

Thanks.
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by maydogg(m): 7:34pm On Jan 09, 2018
TokyoBulls:
I planted Oba Super 6 earlier. Now trying Pioneer and SC 719
Please how do you sell your produce?
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by bigdot1759(m): 9:22pm On Jan 09, 2018
please I need acres of farmland in Ibadan , pchat me. on 07065762761 if u have any.
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by candygirl4real: 6:06am On Jan 11, 2018
Nice thread really learning. Pls I intend to plant maize in my cassava farm. That's in between an already planted six months old Casava. My questions are
1.is it okay
2.can any herbicides be used. Considering the casava
3.when can fertilizers be applied. What type and at what stage. Can any recommended fertilizer affect d already planted cassava ?
4. Will the Casava allow the maize grow well. I mean will they compete for nutrients?
Please I need the gurus in the house to answer my funny questions. I am a newbie . thanks
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by vonlogon: 7:52pm On Jan 11, 2018
stagger:
I just got the following:

- 20kg of Oba98 at N375 per kilo from Premier Seeds: (7,500)
- Leased 1 hectare of land: 10,500
- land clearing: 20,000 (opted for manual clearing to preserve the top soil. I also want to plough in the stump remnants into the soil)
- 3 litres of Paraquat @ 1,600 each: 4,800
- 3 kg of Atrazine Powder @ 2,300 each: 6,900
- Sprayer will spray the herbicides at 10,500 for the entire hectare.
- Seed planter from China: 50,000 (could have been cheaper but I used express shipping). I plan to hire 1 person to plant the whole hectare in one day @ 5,000 max. I want to get the spacing spot on and reduce labour costs.
- Tractor hiring for tilling and harrowing: not yet negotiated.

Here is my plan.
- I will plant half the land now, and half in two weeks time. This is to provide a gap in fruiting to allow me sell the first half fresh.
- I plan to use organic fertilizer 100%. I have searched for the inorganic one at govt price of 5,500. It is not available and it is N10,000 in the open market. Not cost-effective if you ask me.
- Insecticides will be used at the appropriate time.

Threats?
- Rodents
- Birds
- ??Army worms
- Herdsmen

Still searching for solutions to these possible threats. I am told that special routes for grazing were created for the herdsmen in that area and there have been no squabbles between farmers and the herdsmen in that area in recent history. We shall see how this goes.

TARGETS
2 cobs per plant, X 50,000 plants at spacing of 25cm X 75cm goal will deliver 100,000 cobs.
Allowance will be made for 50% loss of plants, so we aim to get 50,000 fresh cobs, 100 cobs per bag, N3,000 per bag. This will deliver returns of N1.5m as worst case scenario (for investment of N200,000).

I plan to sell fresh maize, not shelled maize. I will do shelled maize in the dry season with a borehole on another land I own.

Please note: this is a pilot project so my goal here is to learn, learn and learn before I expand.
- Shelled maize vs Fresh maize: which pays better?
- is 100% organic fertilizer use a feasible replacement for inorganic NPK/Urea?
- what is the best solution to contain the threats I mentioned above?

These are the questions I seek to answer.

My sister,
In agric, there is what we call initial investment. If you look closely at your startup analysis, some of the items like planter will not be bought again for the next planting, you just have to write them off in bits. You cannot add this in chunk to your books.

Meanwhile, as a newbie in the business, I assure you that you will find a lot of achievements doing some of the things that will cost you money by yourself (maybe with family members), just do the less stressful things. Finally get a comparison for your quotes as some of the items on your list are on high side.

Hope you find this helpful
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by stagger: 9:13pm On Jan 11, 2018
vonlogon:

My sister,
In agric, there is what we call initial investment. If you look closely at your startup analysis, some of the items like planter will not be bought again for the next planting, you just have to write them off in bits. You cannot add this in chunk to your books.

Meanwhile, as a newbie in the business, I assure you that you will find a lot of achievements doing some of the things that will cost you money by yourself (maybe with family members), just do the less stressful things. Finally get a comparison for your quotes as some of the items on your list are on high side.

Hope you find this helpful
What exactly is your point here? Do you expect cost of land lease to be the same all over the country? Or you are contesting the price of the maize seeds bought from the company warehouse of Premier Seeds? Or you expect the cost of chemicals to be the same all over the country?

Finally, you expect me with three businesses I run to leave them all to carry my "family members" (who are also workers and business owners with their own families) to go to the farm to do the work myself? In an attempt to save how much?

Some of you just write like kindergarten kids.
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by Bidmosy: 9:40pm On Jan 11, 2018
Please house what size of farm land will I be needing if I want to harvest like 100 bags of maize?
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by Georgechris(m): 10:58pm On Jan 11, 2018
Tones of white maize available for sale in keffi Nassarawa state, 07030815857, serious buys should contact me pls

Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by shariff84: 12:01am On Jan 12, 2018
Bidmosy:
Please house what size of farm land will I be needing if I want to harvest like 100 bags of maize?
2.5 hectare
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by candygirl4real: 6:24am On Jan 13, 2018
Please oh I am waiting for answers to my question o. So dat I don't make mistakes . The maize farmers make I hear una
Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by jackomagnus(m): 7:20am On Jan 27, 2018
stagger:

What exactly is your point here? Do you expect cost of land lease to be the same all over the country? Or you are contesting the price of the maize seeds bought from the company warehouse of Premier Seeds? Or you expect the cost of chemicals to be the same all over the country?

Finally, you expect me with three businesses I run to leave them all to carry my "family members" (who are also workers and business owners with their own families) to go to the farm to do the work myself? In an attempt to save how much?

Some of you just write like kindergarten kids.

Stagger,
Haba, this your reply harsh o! Vonlogon was just making observations- and they were not unreasonable.

2 Likes

Re: Maize Farmers Come In Here by MDDarah84(m): 3:40pm On Jan 27, 2018
Pls is Premier seeds different from Oba98?I bought Premier seeds 4kg at #850 per 2kg last season but the yield wa disappointing.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Rice Mill At Omor In Anambra Abandoned By FG / Price Of Fish Feeds / 1 Plot Pepper Farm For A Start

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.