Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,104 members, 7,807,326 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:19 PM

Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? (3884 Views)

HELP : INTEL Core Vs AMD : Which Is Better ? / AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? / AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by mk2: 8:27pm On Dec 12, 2005
Which processors are better, the AMD or the Pentium?
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by Hunter(m): 1:26am On Dec 14, 2005
I personally feel it's AMD, they cost less and usually perform better. smiley
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by bijorium(m): 5:13pm On Dec 14, 2005
@Hunter
I need a little bit of advice. I am cloning a PC in a few days. And I had always believed Pentiums were the best in the market. I would like to ask you to do a little more explanation as to why you say AMDs are better than Pentiums. Thanks grin
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by SirKay: 9:42am On Dec 16, 2005
Do any one know the diff. in the Pentium Processor and other brand name like AMD Athlon and why is it that we are just pentium cracy in Nigeria? Are other processors good for cyber cafe also?
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by leighcon(m): 10:50pm On Dec 16, 2005
SirKay wants to know the difference between Pentium and AMD Athlon and why we are Pentium crazy in Nigeria.

Intel makes Celeron and Pentium for SOHO users while AMD makes Duron and Athlon for SOHO as well. I kind of categorise celeron and Duron to be on the same ruggedity level while Pentium and Athlon also have same level of ruggedity. but experts have however found out that Athlon has what I refer to as bigger piping than pentium also they found out that athlon has a better caching compared to pentium.

Hmn you also want to know why we are pentium crazy in Nigeria. simple! it is what we see that we buy, Intel has made more inroad into Nigeria market than AMD. it is up to AMD to fight it out with intel, I mean these guys (intel) has patnered with Zinox, Omatek & co as well as these CAPDAN in Ikeja, So what do you expect. kajiko
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by SirKay: 12:05am On Dec 17, 2005
Computer users needed to be educated more that, it's not the name that matters in the processor but the job the processor can do and may be what you can afford. Intel Celeron spent a lot of money in advertisment and sometimes in Nigeria, regular computer user think there is no other processor than intel Celeron's (Pentium).
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by Seun(m): 1:54am On Dec 17, 2005
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by SirKay: 6:30am On Dec 17, 2005
After I carefully read through the site you recommended, It appears that this shows how good Intel is over AMD; but after a vivid look into the dialogues combined with test results on Intel versus AMD. I can see that AMD have an edge over Intel. Intel got the market and its strategies. There will always be differences in discoveries and achitecturer designs on this subject. For sure, there will always be a competition without an end. I like this competition because it enhace advancement in technology. Thanks for this spotlight Seun.
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by nferyn(m): 9:55am On Dec 17, 2005
If any of you are interested in a very thorough presentation of the different processor architectures, visit this site: http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu.ars
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by oasis: 9:09am On Jan 13, 2006
What is the point of the discussion anyway?  With the kind of punch that processors pack these days, what does it matter what processor you get?  Unless you're a gamer, you won't max today's monster cpu's out.

Your main concern should be getting a mobo that allows plenty of ram.   
More ram->smother system.

My site http://www.oasisoflove.com is powered by a single amd athlon 4000+ socket 939 cpu.  4gb ram.  Sometimes during peak use, I run the unix command "top" to see how much juice is being sucked out of the cpu, but it hardly ever gets maxed out.  Yet it runs everything on the same box, including mysql, php, and a chat server.

Also, if you're into overclocking, you can purchase an inexpensive processor that can be overclocked, and overclock it to run much faster.

If you really want a smoking system, get sata hard drives, and set them up as raid0 array.
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by Chxta(m): 1:18pm On Jan 13, 2006
Seun:

See Why AMD-MHz don't equal Intel's.

Good article. Added to my archives. Might need it someday.
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by anton(m): 7:32am On Jan 14, 2006
Has anybody ever heard that celerons were p3s that failed final testing?

Has anybody compared the performance of a celeron to a sempron? rolleyes
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by c0dec(m): 10:57am On Jan 15, 2006
you also have to consider bus speeds and size of the L2 cache
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by leighcon(m): 10:42pm On Jan 23, 2006
Chairmen, you are still on this processor issue, I beg move on the issue is solved already
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by IAH(f): 9:23pm On Jan 24, 2006
Being the conservative person that I am, I'll stick with Intel, whether Pentium or Celeron.
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by oasis: 9:25pm On Jan 24, 2006
Being the conservative person that I am, I'll stick with Intel, whether Pentium or Celeron.

Any other concrete reasons beside being a conservative person?
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by Maxflame(m): 11:24pm On Feb 12, 2006
c0dec:

you also have to consider bus speeds and size of the L2 cache
Sorry AMD don't have stuff limiting their performance such as bus speed. AMD's are built for performance and it depends on wht you want em for. AMD actually whoop the ass of pentiums. You guys know about their Opteron chips and dual core opteron chips with hyper transport? Totally rocks.
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by oasis: 12:33am On Feb 13, 2006
Sorry AMD don't have stuff limiting their performance such as bus speed. AMD's are built for performance and it depends on wht you want em for. AMD actually whoop the ass of pentiums. You guys know about their Opteron chips and dual core opteron chips with hyper transport? Totally rocks.

No matter how well your cpu performs, if your motherboard's bus speed can't keep up, then your whole system is impacted. Also, the L2 cache pre-processes data from the RAM, before it gets to the cpu. So, larger L2 cache means better performance. The only case where L2 cache doesn't matter is where DMA is in play.

Therefore, bus speed and L2 cache are vital to system performance, regardless of your cpu power.
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by Maxflame(m): 12:43am On Feb 13, 2006
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by oasis: 2:33am On Feb 13, 2006
Answer this,

Is hyper transport limited to the cpu, or is it a part of the motherboard data transport system?

The fact is, if your motherboard can move data slower (bus speed) than the cpu can crank it out, the cpu must slow down. This is common sense.

Otherwise, please explain is simple terms, what the role of bus speed is.

As far as shutting up, you're in for a big surprise. You haven't seen anything yet. You're going to spend the rest of your life defending youself. To be forewarned is to be forearmed.
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by Maxflame(m): 3:19am On Feb 13, 2006
OK i see you really need something to do? At least your computer knowledge is good so i don't know why you're so bored as to look for a fight. Now read carefully coz this is a copy paste from http://www.boxxtech.com/products/apexx4.asp check the link for more info.

Advanced AMD Opteron™ Architecture

AMD Opteron Dual Core

"BOXX’s APPEX 4 workstation is a perfect example of a breakthrough design which leverages the power of the leading-edge AMD Opteron™ processor technology to satisfy the exacting requirements of a community of professional users. With up to four Dual-Core AMD Opteron 800 Series processors with Direct Connect Architecture and industry-leading performance per watt, APEXX 4 will help to broaden the creative possibilities of digital artists.” Pat Patla, director of server/workstation marketing, AMD.

Now do you understand what i meant by not getting limited by FSB? Go and do your homework boy,
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by oasis: 4:19am On Feb 13, 2006
If you gave it a little thought, you'd understand that HT is still bus speed. So, what's wrong with the statement that bus speed limits performance?

I'm looking for something to do? Yes, I'll give you something to do.
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by oasis: 4:24am On Feb 13, 2006
@Maxflame

Spammer, so just how much are those guys paying you to advertise for them all over the Internet?
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by Maxflame(m): 8:28am On Feb 13, 2006
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy you're a sour loser but you're OK. wink
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by kenniy(m): 1:59am On Feb 14, 2006
well , about these i really would favour the AMD Chips because of most of the reasons above, but as a nigerian with little choice, i am currently typing these on a pentium 4! , y? of cause not the price, you simply wont get the AMD chips around. I coupled my system myself, had a swell time looking for Athlon XP 3GHz but , naa,

But for any reason,pls dont ever use a celeron, it is way too cripled for sny good,and thats a fact. Better to use P4 1.** than a celeron of 2.** ,better to use Duron if thats the direct rival!

pls any one know a store where one can get AMD processors at normal prices??
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Feb 17, 2006
Kenniy speaks my mind. dont use a smelleron processor whatever u do.
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by Maxflame(m): 3:43pm On Feb 17, 2006
If you have nothing but use microsoft word then smelleron wink is ok.
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by kenniy(m): 8:26am On Feb 18, 2006
totally right max! for that condition only, atleast manageable!!
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by Seun(m): 9:07am On Sep 27, 2006
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by naijafan(m): 2:36pm On Sep 27, 2006
Smelleron!!! Very funny. But saying a celeron is manageable for typing is an overstatement.

Take the Celeron 1.1GHz with 256k cache and 256MB RAM for example.
Using WMP11 to play audio takes an average of 5% cpu fluid
Using the same to play video takes btw 15% and 25%
Typing takes 1% lol
DVD breaks.
Get a 128MB Graphics card and GTAIII will play smoothly
ColdFusion Application Server runs well
Reading nairaland.com takes 0%

Moral lesson. I'm not an Intel-biased geek. but i do a lot of benchmarks like how long it takes a processor to calculate the value of pi to an accuracy of at least 2 million digits. Results, mixed. AMD and Intel outperform each other at one point or the other.

@ Kenniy, prove that a Duron 800MHz is better than a Celeron 800MHz.
Disclaimer: I'm not sayin the Celeron is either.
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by Christino(m): 3:45pm On Sep 28, 2006
Firstly.

AMD has sempron the equivalent of the world's "blablabla" Celeron.

AMD is cheaper than Intel, but is not the best in all.

I'm not here to argue. Personally, i prefer the AMD processor cos I have it, i've seen it work and i've cloned it for other people, but it's not better than the Intel.

The Intel Core Duo Extreme beats the AMD Athlon FX 64 by a huge margin but not in all aspects.

If you really need some tested results on these two, please log on to www.3dguru.com and see how both devices were tested extensively, from the Pentium 3.0Ghz to the Athlon XP upwards.

Intel remains the leader. It's like NVidia Vs ATi. Unfortunately, NVidia has acquired ATi, I hope Intel don't do that to AMD.

But I still love my AMD but next time, i'll go for the ones on the Apple MAC!
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by kabiyesi(m): 9:34am On Feb 19, 2007
Intel remains the leader. It's like NVidia Vs ATi. Unfortunately, NVidia has acquired ATi, I hope Intel don't do that to AMD. But I still love my AMD but next time, i'll go for the ones on the Apple MAC!

Christino ~ Nvidia did not acquire ATi. It was AMD that bought ATi.

[url]http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~110899,00.html[/url]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is All About Free Browser With Mtn / Visafone Wahala, Please Help / What Sites Can We Download Free Compressed Torrent Films

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.