Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,400 members, 7,781,156 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:59 AM

What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? (16410 Views)

Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) / Is ATF Oil The Same As Power Steering Fluid? / My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jan 18, 2010
i have a honda accord 2004 model, and i have been having issues with the power steering. it all began when i travelled and the car was parked for a month, when i got back, i noticed the hose to the power steering pump was leaking oil (atf) and i had it changed (the hose), soon after that, i started hearing a hissing sound from the steering as if air escaping. when you sort of turn the steering wheel the hissing stops, but continues hissing if you do not exert pressure on it, then the wheel  was still soft. my mechanic checked and said i should ignore it, that it was nothing, was using it like that untill the wheel got stiff,  so i had to change the pump, after that, i noticed the hissing sound increased, within a week my steering wheel got stiff again, i had to change the pump, the guy  that sells the pump, advice that i check the steering, my mechanic keep saying that it is the pump that is the problem, that the steering is not leaking oil. now after another week the steering is slowly going hard again, i need  help fast, any one with this kind of experience should chip in, siena all the engineers in the house,
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jan 18, 2010
guys i dey wait ooo!
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by ayusman16(m): 8:07pm On Jan 18, 2010
I had similar problem some weeks back with my Camry. The mechanic changed the pump twice but no result. They are just bunch of gamblers. After some few days of using it like that, it went soft on its own.
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 18, 2010
i just can,t stand the hissing noice any longer, sad sad sad i keep imagining the wheel coming off, no mind me grin grin
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by ayusman16(m): 8:44pm On Jan 18, 2010
Why not try other mechanics? Seek different opinions?
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jan 18, 2010
this is the second mechanic telling me to ignore it, he comes highly recommended, and he say he,s not seen this kind of problem before, the hissing noice.
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jan 18, 2010
according to spare parts guy he says i should check the steering out if not it will keep messing the pumps up, and bros those pumps dey cost o!
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by ibdguy: 10:23pm On Jan 18, 2010
Ignoring it is certainly not the right answer! Mechanics are notorious trial and error freaks angry. They will happily collect money from you to a point, but when they are full and satisfied, and know fairly well they haven't got a clue what the problem is, they shrug their shoulders and leave you in the lurch!

Your problem sounds like it's driving you up the wall, and from your description of your car been a 2004 Accord, I would say the one and the other equals that you maintain your car properly and have it checked at a place such as Honda Place. Fine for me to say as I won't be the one donating the arm and the leg it might cost. But at least they SHOULD get to the bottom of the problem, and as such give you the much needed peace of mind.

Failing this, I have had my car serviced a few times at the Mobil station on Awolowo Road, Ikoyi, and though there are no guarantees, I haven't run in to any problems with anything they have ever done on my slightly older Accord. They have a guy there who does their diagnostics, and who I believe works out of there freelance. I think he is pretty solid. If you wish, I can text you his name and number.
Hope all this helps, but remember you own the car and as such drive it each day. So follow that in-built natural owners common sense that you have whatever decision you make, and certainly not the 'oga, don't worry I go do am. No problem' mentality your run of the mill mechanic brings to the table.
Good luck whichever way you decide to go, and I hope your problem is solved sooner rather than later as I know how totally frustrating these niggly car problems can get. wink
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by mamagee3(f): 10:48pm On Jan 18, 2010
Why don't you report this problem to your mechanic? undecided
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jan 18, 2010
@ ibdguy,
honda place would have been it, untill i saw their mechanics bringing some cars over for this my mechanic to fix, was shocked shocked turns out their technicians do private practice outside. yeah it,s really getting at me, i,ll have to sample a lot of oppinion, so i wouldn,t mind the mobil guy name & no, considering it,s just a walk from my office, i could connect with him tmorro. thanks man really appreciate.
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by ibdguy: 12:11am On Jan 19, 2010
df2006:

@ ibdguy,
honda place would have been it, untill i saw their mechanics bringing some cars over for this my mechanic to fix, was shocked  shocked turns out their technicians do private practice outside. yeah it,s really getting at me, i,ll have to sample a lot of oppinion, so i wouldn,t mind the mobil guy name & no, considering it,s just a walk from my office, i could connect with him tmorro. thanks man really appreciate. 

df2006, don't see that you left your mobile number. For obvious reasons, I would rather text you the guys name and number rather than posting it. To paraphrase the old cliche, if you post your number then I'll get back to you. By the way, don't think I've done anything as such but you are very welcome. cheesy
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by ikeyman00(m): 12:44am On Jan 19, 2010
well as u know i aint a mechanic but maybe this may help

the hissin sound depict fluid leakage; for sure

u maybe have to open emm wetin again fluid box to check the depth of the fluid inside; that way u will be able to assertain if there is any leakage

therefore ur mechanic will have to check around; include looking under the engine/steerling host
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by Nobody: 10:57am On Jan 19, 2010
don,t worry ib, i have always been sceptical about putting nos in public forum, i,ll take a walk down there and see wat,s up, that is if the traffic will allow me walk there.
mama gee did you read the post? i already told two mechanics. sienna and co i am still waiting o, i need more opinions on this.
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by mishooo(m): 1:36pm On Jan 19, 2010
have experienced same thing with my car like 4-6 wks ago but fixing the leak and changing the Oil Pump (though i had to return the changed one since i was not satisfied with the output after 1 week) did the trick cos it got very bad i almost had an accident at the Gerald/Osbourne - Ikoyi turning when my steering got STIFF. shocked shocked shocked

I dont wanna experience it again.
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by ibdguy: 7:43pm On Jan 19, 2010
df2006:

don,t worry ib, i have always been sceptical about putting nos in public forum, i,ll take a walk down there and see wat,s up, that is if the traffic will allow me walk there.
mama gee did you read the post? i already told two mechanics. sienna and co i am still waiting o, i need more opinions on this.
No wahala. Know what you mean about the traffic. Was in the thick of it going past that very same Mobil today- all because of petrol which they were not even selling at the time . Anyway hope all works out, and the best of luck to you finding a solution.
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jan 19, 2010
I notice the hissing began after you had a hose replaced.

Worth noting, the high-pressure line, that goes from the vane pump to the rack has a built-in restrictor, that slows down the flow just before it reaches the rack itself. The replacement must have this same restrictor, in other words, the replacement must be an OEM part, not a copy.

Some vane pumps have restrictor valves built into the bolt that secures the high-pressure line. Some replacement pumps don't come with this valve, make sure your mechanic transferred the old one over. And make sure the correct fluid was used, and was clean and free of any contaminant. Was the system bled? If not, there will be air in the system, causing varying levels of power assistance. And noise.

I'd say 98% there's nothing wrong with your steering rack. A faulty rack will either leak, be stiff, or have rough spots, due to a worn pinion, which is not the case with your car.
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jan 20, 2010
siena you are hitting the nail on the head, i did change the hose that is bolted to the  power steering pump, which i hope is also the vane pump as you stated, by replacement, do you mean the replaced hose or the pump?  considering i changed the hose before the pump, it could mean the hose did,t have a restrictor hence the hissing noise.
the challenge is this   since i have change the pump as well,  i do not know if this pump has a restrictor or not, i am very sure the mechanic knows nothing of all this.

concerning parts we are always advised to buy used ones taken of existing vehicles to assure us of originality, because new ones are almost always copys.
could you explain more of this restrictor valve? so i can identify it. thank you so much,  i am finally getting somewhere.
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jan 20, 2010
all this guys just want to sell sell sell, no one talks of maintenance, honda this! toyota that! what sense does it make buying and not knowing how to maintain, pathetic!
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by Nobody: 11:00am On Jan 21, 2010
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by seal777(m): 4:42pm On Jan 21, 2010
I had similar problem with my Camry having travelled and left it for close to a year.
My mechanic told me it was the power steering pump but advised that i use it like that for a week after which we will take the next step. In just 3 days, i noticed the steering was clearing out and getting soft which i told him, he then flushed out the pump of old dirt and steering fluid and later changed the power steering fluid, the steering keeps getting softer by the day but still gets hard once in a while.
I planned changing the power steering pump before i read this thread; to be sincere i am confused reading Ur story.

i pray you get a solution quick.

N a wa o, i no wan waste money ooooo
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jan 21, 2010
i don,t just want to get into those mechanic,s trial and error, "oga na my work" thing, dat,s why i am sampling more oppinion, siena is getting it, cos the thing started after i changed that hose, it will keep occurring even if i continue changing pumps, unless i rectify the problem.
meanwhile the hissing continues, i have to understand more of what he was saying. thanks any way and a big amen to that prayer.
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jan 21, 2010
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jan 22, 2010
siena still waiting for you to explain o
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by IKEYMAN1: 7:57pm On Jan 22, 2010
grin laugh in tiv
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jan 22, 2010
no laugh o! have you fixed your car? abi the thing still dey inside bush? no wonder you are laughing in tiv grin grin grin siena where are you e!!!
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jan 24, 2010
The restrictor valve is within the high-pressure hose (can't be seperated) or within the vane pump's body, in which case, it can be removed.

Its purpose is to slow down flow, whilst increasing pressure in the system. If its missing, the flow will increase, whilst pressure will drop. This will cause air pockets to build up in the fluid, giving rise to noise, and ocassional a heavy, almost non-assisted steering. As the bubbles come and go, so will the assistance vary.

Make sure the fluid is the correct one for your car. It should be ATF Dexron II.
Re: What Could Be Wrong With My Power Steering? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jan 25, 2010
thank you, siena, i am suspecting the pressure hose because the hissing noise seem to be coming from it, where it connects to the steering rack or pinion, i noticed that when the steering lost it,s power assist just before i change the last pump, the noise ceased completely it was then bled and the power assist came back on briefly, i then changed the pump and the hissing noise became louder and the steering was very soft, and what i have noticed is that has the hissing noise reduces the steering wheel get,s harder.
i probably will have to change that hose but i am not very sure yet wether it will stop, i don,t even know wether this new pump as been affected, i guess i will have to go ahead and see. thanks really appreciate.

(1) (Reply)

LASTMA Fighting Passengers And Driver At Obanikoro Bus-stop / Is It Possible For A Car To Be Charmed? / Is It Possible To Use Another Engine In A Murano?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.