Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,325 members, 7,780,807 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:51 PM

The Origin Of Urhobo People - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Origin Of Urhobo People (51380 Views)

The Ema Dance Of The Urhobo People (photos) / The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) / The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Flamezreal(m): 12:34am On Jun 06, 2017
fratermathy:

Urhobo, Bini, Ishan and Isoko have more to do with Yoruba than Igbo, actually.

The colour of skin is not a yardstick for knowing the origin of a people. Africans are not fair or white.[/b][b] Some Igbos may have acquired a lighter tone over time due to "contact" with Europeans[b][/b].

On point @ d bolded

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Opharhe: 1:55am On Jun 06, 2017
Blescyn:

i'd like to learn too
Just pm me if you're interested in learning Urhobo. We'll work out something.
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Opharhe: 2:30am On Jun 06, 2017
fratermathy:

The colour of skin is not a yardstick for knowing the origin of a people. Africans are not fair or white. Some Igbos may have acquired a lighter tone over time due to "contact" with Europeans.
Oniovo Mathy I think disagree slightly here. After the Aka(Benin) connection, and then the Ijaw mixing associated with the migratory journeys, Urhobo and Isoko people to me have more to do with Igbo than Yoruba in my assessment.

There are Urhobo and Isoko Clans today who trace their history directly to Igboland... Evwreni(with Igbide and Enwhe) is a classic example. Infact, many Isoko clans, a good number of them, claim Igbo origins.
Let's leave stories and look at what we have now... Check out the Urhobo and Isoko dance steps, see our pre-colonial political systems, look at our traditional worship systems and symbols, check out the foods we have, look at the dressing, check the attires of maidens(Epha), of our preists and warriors etc. Look at them and do some comparison and contrasting with Igbo on the one hand and Yoruba on the other hand and you'll understand my point better.
We kobiruo Oniovo.

5 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by praise1705(f): 6:10am On Jun 06, 2017
RedboneSmith:
Oh dear dear dear....

57 years after independence and we are still prisoners of the racist Hamitic hypothesis.

the thing tire me ooo,
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Sanchez01: 6:59am On Jun 06, 2017
Efewestern:

I think you are forgetting our itsekiri neighbors, no present day urhobo family without link to itsekiri, we married itsekiri more than edo and Yoruba, mind you urhobo sees edo and yoruba as diabolical people. (no beef to my edo peeps)

but of all the tribe in Nigeria, urhobo seems more comfortable with those tribe when it comes to marriage and the rest.

my ranking

1. Itsekiri

2. Edo

3ijaw

4. Yoruba.

urhobo hardly get married to Hausa and igbo, don't know why, but hardly will you see such.
You're very correct. However, I was pointing at unions outside of the Delta. No doubt, unions between Urhobos and the Itsekiris cannot be compared to others. Other than the language, dress sense and food is almost the same.

About the diabolical thing, well, I just had a good laugh. Sadly, but true, Urhobos are wary of charms and fetish but it still hasn't reduced the intermarriage between us and the Edos. Funny, really.

Hausa is a huge no no. I'm not sure I've heard of an Urhobo person who got married to an Hausa man or woman before. About the Igbos, oh well... cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Sanchez01: 7:28am On Jun 06, 2017
Opharhe:
Oniovo Mathy I think disagree slightly here. After the Aka(Benin) connection, and then the Ijaw mixing associated with the migratory journeys, Urhobo and Isoko people to me have more to do with Igbo than Yoruba in my assessment.

There are Urhobo and Isoko Clans today who trace their history directly to Igboland... Evwreni(with Igbide and Enwhe) is a classic example. Infact, many Isoko clans, a good number of them, claim Igbo origins.
Let's leave stories and look at what we have now... Check out the Urhobo and Isoko dance steps, see our pre-colonial political systems, look at our traditional worship systems and symbols, check out the foods we have, look at the dressing, check the attires of maidens(Epha), of our preists and warriors etc. Look at them and do some comparison and contrasting with Igbo on the one hand and Yoruba on the other hand and you'll understand my point better.
We kobiruo Oniovo.
Your made a whole lot of point but then historical backgrounds does not necessarily reflect in dressings, foods among many other things. Truth is, we share some similarities with Igbo folks but then, you would notice some sharp features in these similarities.

For example, if you take a good look at dance steps between both, you would realise that it is not similar and you would also find out that the we do more of movements and invest more energy into those movements, far more than the Igbos do.

Food, well, the only similarity there is is our Amiedi and their Ofe akwu. I hear Ofe means soup in Igbo but then you would never see them use eat it with any morsel fashioned meal, rather, with rice. The first time I saw it in Enugu, I suffered a culture shock and told my friend it was disrespect to our signature meal. The Igbos eat leaves than we do. As a matter of fact, we don't do leaves at all, no. Also, almost all our meals are potash driven.

On dressing, our women don two wrappers just as Igbo women. And interestingly, almost every ethnicity in the South South dress in this manner. Therefore, it would be wrong to assume it is a thing that started with the Igbos. And one outstanding feature in our dressing is that unparalleled love for beads. Igbos don't use half the beads we use. Our thirst for beads is the same as that of the Itsekiris, the Edos and the Ijaws.

On taboos, we share a striking similarity with the Edos here. Their are certain practices I have come to learn about the Igbos that I find strange, largely because it is absent in our culture.

There is a huge gap in the practice of our political systems. I mean huge gap. The same applies to our mode of worship and deities.

A major aspect wherein we share something with the Igbos is language. We share common words, though not much.

I'm not sure we share a single practice with the Yorubas. I understand their practices and their culture quite well. However, the same cannot be said about the Edos.
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Sanchez01: 7:33am On Jun 06, 2017
baby124:

Nothing like Old Yoruba being Oyo. The Lagos Yoruba is most similar to OYO Yoruba. Older dialects exist, which are much more complicated and diverse. Oyo Yoruba became more used because of the OYO empire. Let's not get into Yoruba history. This is a Urhobo thread.
I can't believe someone just said this. The Oyo Yoruba is regarded as the real Yoruba language and the Lagos Yoruba is regarded as perverted with some slings that are considered unorthographic, according to the Yoruba orthography of 1967.

I was born in the South West and dedicated a whole of my time into studying the Yoruba language at some point in time. And before you bring up a rebuttal, you need to listen to the likes of the late Gbenga Adeboye who shared the typical Yoruba in his comedies.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by userplainly(m): 8:39am On Jun 06, 2017
do4luv14:

vredo
Which kyn talk be that? angry
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by kpaofame: 8:41am On Jun 06, 2017
Opharhe:
I can coach you. Seriously.
ok oshare wekobiruo...i will send a pm so i can get your chat details... i dont interact in Urhobo or Isoko at all...the small when i sabi don dey comot...so it would nice

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by scionofurhobo(m): 8:58am On Jun 06, 2017
anthney87:
The problem with we Nigerians are that we talk too much without thinking and investigating.

From my own sourced knowledge before now I learnt the urhobos ika Edo's Yoruba were descendants from Egypt or preferably the Nile.

When a war broke out the original inhabitants of Egypt ran away founding different nations as they ran.(know the the present inhabitants of Egypt are total foreigners mostly Arabs from the east)

If you look closely from certain pronunciations of the then Egyptians you will find out that they resemble most words pronounced in our present urhobi Edo and ika.

Please when issues like this comes up we should learn to ask the good questions like how and when and why and where not cursing and ranting when we know nothing.

For the urhobos we have lost a great deal of our culture and history and yes we are settled today in pur present locality by coming in through the Benin route( also the ika pipo and isoko pipo? Making us believe we originated from Edo but our true ancestry lies in Egypt.

God bless you! It's unfortunate that the truth is being derided with set of preconceived notions from ignorant minds, in place of finding out if these things were in deed true. In fact, some Urhobos, these days, are not proud of their rich cultural heritage.

The fact that it is strange does not make it a lie. Just as you've said, "We should learn to ask the good questions like how and when and why and where, not cursing and ranting when we know NOTHING."

Thanks Oniovo.
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by RedboneSmith(m): 10:34am On Jun 06, 2017
Sanchez01:

I can't believe someone just said this. The Oyo Yoruba is regarded as the real Yoruba language and the Lagos Yoruba is regarded as perverted with some slings that are considered unorthographic, according to the Yoruba orthography of 1967.

I was born in the South West and dedicated a whole of my time into studying the Yoruba language at some point in time. And before you bring up a rebuttal, you need to listen to the likes of the late Gbenga Adeboye who shared the typical Yoruba in his comedies.

The problem here is that you're confusing Standard Yoruba with 'Old Yoruba' ( whatever that means.)

Oyo Yoruba is the basis of Standard Yoruba. This doesn't in any way make it 'original' Yoruba or the 'correct' Yoruba. Any dialect could have been chosen to serve as the basis for the Standard. The lot fell on Oyo because the spread and fame of the Oyo Empire had conferred prestige on the dialect. As a matter of fact, Oyo is relatively a young dialect, based on information now known to linguistics. The dialects spoken in the eastern axis of Yorubaland contain older forms of the language that have undergone change in the Oyo area.

5 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by scionofurhobo(m): 11:18am On Jun 06, 2017
QuitNotice:
Hmmmmmmm, see deceit oo undecided So Urhobo is now fada of all nations: fada to yoruba, hausa, ibo, and so on shocked So Oduduwa that 'decended from the sky' is now Urhobo's son. By the way, this story is disjointed.

Please stop deceiving yourselves lipsrsealed

Read! It will do you much good.

scionofurhobo=Ay:
Alka (Aka), their fore-father, who lived in Egypt, who was father to Urhobo, Benin, Igbo, Ika, Hausa, Yoruba, Izon and several others who now live in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by tnktosin(m): 11:49am On Jun 06, 2017
Oniovo vwo danvweren. Oghene mudiakewe

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by jchioma: 12:28pm On Jun 06, 2017
fratermathy:

Nothing is factual about this. It is simply the Op's interpretation of history. What is generally accepted by everyone is that Urhobos originated from Aka (Benin). Some clans like Okpe claim Ife (Yoruba) ancestry but nothing connects us to Egypt directly. What you see here is a case of "You see exactly what you want to see".

What I see from all those opposing the OP is that they all seem to agree on one thing. i.e. That Urhobo came from Aka, just like the OP has inferred. Only that, he has gone further to reveal where Aka came from, something you didn't know before. What is expected, is a holistic look at this latest information, do your comparisons and draw your conclusions. At least, the OP gave evidence of the words similar to or still in use in today Urhobo and some other Nigerian languages, something you did not counter.

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by macof(m): 12:36pm On Jun 06, 2017
Afam4eva:
I think Urhobo and Yoruba are somehow intertwined historically. There's an Urhobo/Itsekiri man that got his genealogy tested and he found out that he was about 60% Benin/Togo which is Yoruba and a smaller percentage of Cameroon/Congo which could be Igbo or any of the groups east of the Niger.

Yoruba, Urhobo/isoko, Edo, Igbo, Fon, ewe, Akan all have common origin

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by baby124: 12:37pm On Jun 06, 2017
Sanchez01:

Because a dialect is popular doesn't mean it is older than others. Oyo empire help spread the dialect. Same as English empire help spread the English language.
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by scionofurhobo(m): 3:24pm On Jun 06, 2017
Sanchez01:
ScionofUrhobo, these are very difficult to take in and truth be told, the whole thing seems unbelievable. The history of the Urhobos have from time immemorial being a debate as their are four postulations concerning this same thing

The first is that the Urhobos are the original dwellers and owners of their territory who have been living in their territories from time immemorial. (I find this unbelievable because migration would have happened and that would best explain the similarity between ours and some Edoid groups.)

The second tradition is that the Urhobos left Edo at the end of the Ogiso dynasty in search of more peaceful locations as a result of “cruelty, animosity and tyranny” which pushed them out of the Benin kingdom. (This is most likely to be)

The third tradition is that the Urhobos migrated from Ile-Ife in Yorubaland. (This is not in any way correct. Benin is tied to Ilé-Ifẹ̀. It best supports the idea that we stemmed from Edo, but from Ilé-Ifẹ̀? I don't think so.)

The fourth is that the Urhobos migrated from
Sudan and Egypt. (This is already discussed extensively, all thanks for you. However, I don't think this is true in any way.)

Besides, night in Urhobo is ASO, and not ASUN.

Lol. So, if night is Aso and not Asun in Urhobo, then Avra-alqa is not Abraka; Appelleh is not Sapele and Ughei-eni is not Ughelli. These were the original names with meanings in Urhobo language. Not their corrupted forms.
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by scionofurhobo(m): 3:26pm On Jun 06, 2017
linearity:

Do you have any verifiable source or authority to back your claims about Urhobo been the universal language?

Even in your writeup, you claimed that their were no written or oral documentation, but you still went ahead to voice many supposed historical none sense.

Also, your assertions that only an Urhobo indigenes can understand what you are saying is bullshit, am one and your writeup and claims sounds ridiculous.

Without understanding of the language, how can you decipher what is being said and in what context?
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by scionofurhobo(m): 4:59pm On Jun 06, 2017
jchioma:

What I see from all those opposing the OP is that they all seem to agree on one thing. i.e. That Urhobo came from Aka, just like the OP has inferred. Only that, he has gone further to reveal where Aka came from, something you didn't know before. What is expected, is a holistic look at this latest information, do your comparisons and draw your conclusions. At least, the OP gave evidence of the words similar to or still in use in today Urhobo and some other Nigerian languages, something you did not counter.

Thank you my sister. I call you so, because, we are in deed relatives of blood from distant times.

These my brethren have been so comfortable with the story of Urhobo people migrating from Aka (Bini) that they don't want to accept the truth of their true origin. However, there's nothing they can change about their past, but to learn from it.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by jc4real(m): 10:50pm On Jun 06, 2017
lordhugo:
This is an attempt to trace the origin of the urhobo people with...

1. A small amount of names and things that sound alike and,

2. A big hot pile of horse crap.

I would like to see the guy that actually sat down and started pulling names out his nose for those royal lineages.

Example of a corrupt lineage.

Melaye - 240BC

Saraki - 260BC

Obasanjo - 272BC

Anini - 282 BC (exiled to Atlantis)

Oyenusi - 320BC (coup detat)

Judas iscariot ( The source)

Man ur so joyless.no joy at all grin.I can't stop laughing.
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Opharhe: 1:33am On Jun 07, 2017
Sanchez01:

Your made a whole lot of point but then historical backgrounds does not necessarily reflect in dressings, foods among many other things. Truth is, we share some similarities with Igbo folks but then, you would notice some sharp features in these similarities.

For example, if you take a good look at dance steps between both, you would realise that it is not similar and you would also find out that the we do more of movements and invest more energy into those movements, far more than the Igbos do.

Food, well, the only similarity there is is our Amiedi and their Ofe akwu. I hear Ofe means soup in Igbo but then you would never see them use eat it with any morsel fashioned meal, rather, with rice. The first time I saw it in Enugu, I suffered a culture shock and told my friend it was disrespect to our signature meal. The Igbos eat leaves than we do. As a matter of fact, we don't do leaves at all, no. Also, almost all our meals are potash driven.

On dressing, our women don two wrappers just as Igbo women. And interestingly, almost every ethnicity in the South South dress in this manner. Therefore, it would be wrong to assume it is a thing that started with the Igbos. And one outstanding feature in our dressing is that unparalleled love for beads. Igbos don't use half the beads we use. Our thirst for beads is the same as that of the Itsekiris, the Edos and the Ijaws.

On taboos, we share a striking similarity with the Edos here. Their are certain practices I have come to learn about the Igbos that I find strange, largely because it is absent in our culture.

There is a huge gap in the practice of our political systems. I mean huge gap. The same applies to our mode of worship and deities.

A major aspect wherein we share something with the Igbos is language. We share common words, though not much.

I'm not sure we share a single practice with the Yorubas. I understand their practices and their culture quite well. However, the same cannot be said about the Edos.

Well, I understand your position but there are 2 areas which you claim there is no similarlity but there actually is.
Traditional precolonial political systems of the Urhobo people have substantial similarlity with what obtains in among the Igbo and that is gerontocracy where the elders(Ekpako) take charge of affairs ably backed by strong Chieftaincy institutions with various age-grades like youths(Uvwie) for example, and institutions like wives(Eghweya), daughters(emete) etc having specific roles and functions in the communities.
Yoruba culture have little of these things.

Note: I am comparing the amount of resemblance between Urhobo and Igbo on the one hand, and resemblance between Urhobo and Yoruba on the other.
Also, I recognize that the Urhobos are generally of the same ancestral stock as the Edos so that's indisputable.

The Ozo is a very influential Chieftaincy society in Igbo culture.
In Urhobo, we have equivalents like the Ekakuro, Ade etc.
Don't forget that monarchy is a recent phenomenon in most of the Urhobo sub-cultures with the exception of a few ancient Kingdoms in Urhoboland. Ughelli is a classic example of one of such monarchial sub-cultures in Urhobo.

Let me give you 2 examples of gerontocratic sub-cultures in Urhobo existing presently.

Orogun.

The Clan head of Orogun is known as Okpara-Uku, a title that has it's meaning not in Urhobo language but Igbo language... You can make more findings about that. Okpara-Uku is normally an office for the oldest man of Orogun.
Okpara/Okpala in Igbo is the ceremonial name for the first son of a family. In Urhobo language, it's Owaran. Let's leave it here first.

Uwheru.

Their head is called Odion r'Ode. A title which literally means "Great Elder". Odion is an ancient Edo/Urhobo/Isoko word which means elder and it's used to refer to the departed ancestors. I was born and grew up in a place in Warri called Odion(around Iyara, Sido) ... You can find out more on that.

As for religious practices, the worship of the departed ancestors is central to Urhobo culture so too is it in Igbo religious practice.
Also, when I say Igbo, don't look too far. They are our close neighbors. The Ndokwa people are right there with us in Delta State.

I believe you'll understand my point better now. Wẹ kobiruo, oniọvo.
Fratermathy
Efewestern
Evestar200

Iniọvo mẹ wadoo.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by marcondo13: 5:44am On Jun 07, 2017
fratermathy:

Omoni me! Mevwe ohwo r'Okpara o! Mavor? Urhu vor oyin vwon nurhe?

Don't take this theory too serious. Ihwo r'Urhobo vren no vi Aka oke r'Ogiso! Urhobos are from Benin, specifically Udo, and we left in different waves. Avwraka (Abraka) was the last clan to leave Benin, at the time of Oba Egbeka.

Urhobos have no Igbo connection as well, like you hinted. However, many Urhobo migrants passed through Igboland on their way to our present locale and we picked up one or two things from them as they too picked from us. Apart from that, some Urhobo communities share borders with Ukwuani towns and picked up some things from them, as they did from us as well.

So, Oniovo, do not take this piece too serious.
I have read from different sources and heard with my ears and confirmed it from my late grandfather,who was a friend and neighbour with the late Midwest politician,Chief Jereton Marierie,that the people of Evwereni are actually descendants of settlers from Awka,not Benin or Egypt.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by cooljude(m): 3:05pm On Jun 07, 2017
fratermathy:

The colour of skin is not a yardstick for knowing the origin of a people. Africans are not fair or white. Some Igbos may have acquired a lighter tone over time due to "contact" with Europeans.

False, light skin Igbos existed before the arrival of Europeans.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jun 07, 2017
Opharhe:
Just pm me if you're interested in learning Urhobo. We'll work out something.

I have

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by B2mario(m): 9:13pm On Jun 07, 2017
fratermathy:

OK, well heard. But the question still remain, who wants to accept Ijaw?
definitely no one
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Opharhe: 9:15pm On Jun 07, 2017
Blescyn:

I have
replied already.
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Zoolezoo(m): 1:30am On Jun 08, 2017
Note 1

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Zoolezoo(m): 1:38am On Jun 08, 2017
Note 2

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Zoolezoo(m): 1:58am On Jun 08, 2017
fratermathy:

I meant no harm. I thought I read that somewhere but based on what you've just said, it seems my source is inaccurate. However, I am quite sure that Itsekiri and Olukumi of Delta State are Yoruboids. Even Okpe in Urhobo clan claim to be from Ife. This confirms your theory of outwardly migration from Yorubaland. However, the Yorubas must have come from somewhere. What are your theories?`

The Yorubas and Igalas started out as the same ancestral stock of people, journeying from the lake chad region.
When they got to the Niger benue confluence area, both groups bifurcated. (ie split into two primordial groups).

One group branched to the western part of the confluence and became large and expansive. The other group branched eastern direction of the river and became not so successful. The Western fold are the Yorubas. This arm of the migration spread and grew into various dialects. The Eastern dialects closer to the original point of the spit are the older dialects, while the more westwards you go, the more innovative and recent the dialects get.

Igala preserved one branch of the original language they spoke. The Yorubas, (especially the eastern groups) preserve the other.
Igala however came into contact with some other languages like Jukun infusion of new words (like attah) which took place when they came under Kwararafa territorial ambitions and expansion ,Idoma, and Igbo words (like Abacha and akpu), due to their geographical location close to some of those groups. Yoruba came into contact with mostly nothing. All dialectal variations of their language have been mostly self driven and natural deviations, except again on the South Eastern flank where Itsekiri, Ilaje, Ikale, Ondo, etc came into contact with Benin language.

The Itsekiris themselves are a medley of various southeastern Yoruboid groups like the Ijebus (Ugborodo, Omadino, Ureju, Inorinetc). This groups came from the ijebu waterside area and Ode Omi + Ikale, Ilaje, Owo, Akure. Majority of the founding stock seem to have been Ilaje-Ikale.

Benin itself has always received a steady stream of migrants from the Yoruba hinterland throughout almost all of its history. Hence both languages converge in certain regards and words, as well as certain customs. There are towns in Edo like Usen that have Yoruba founders. And if towns deep in the heart of Delta north can have Proven Yoruba origin, I am sure there would be specific urhobo stocks with Yoruba foundation, or at least a heavy infusion of Yoruba and Itsekiri ancestry in their early origins as well.

Things like dressing style, use of extensive beading etc, has little or nothing to do with origin as they are both recent phenomena. Coral beads aren't even indigenous to Western Africa. Which would mean that before Europeans brought them in large quantities to trade barter with the Itsekiris and Benins, all these groups, Eastern and Coastal Yorubas, Benins, Itsekiris, Urhobos, Isokos all likely dressed in similar manner.
Even today, not all Yoruba groups use beading in the same volume The Owos are HEAVY on beading, while the oyos seem to be very light on beading. Its just a continuum of one ethnic group linking into another - given the large size and territorial range of the Yorubas, there is heavy variation. You will need to assume all of Yorubaland in one country to really get the full picture. Some groups of Yorubaland behave like dahomeans. in Dance, Music, Dressing etc.

I hope you get what all my ramblings are about sha.

6 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by fratermathy(m): 12:17pm On Jun 08, 2017
marcondo13:

I have read from different sources and heard with my ears and confirmed it from my late grandfather,who was a friend and neighbour with the late Midwest politician,Chief Jereton Marierie,that the people of Evwereni are actually descendants of settlers from Awka,not Benin or Egypt.

Not the people but their early founders. They were hunters from Awka (so the story goes). The hunters met people on ground when they arrived Iyede and Evwreni and they rallied them into a single polity.
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Tiffbuxas: 9:46pm On Jun 08, 2017
Make una no vex o ... I dey work since

INIOVO WA DO!!

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Olu317(m): 7:00am On Jun 09, 2017
Sanchez01:

There is no iota of doubt that OYO Yoruba is the accepted spoken and written in all Yoruba land, which was due to the development of the language. @ baby124, is correct, about what he inferred on here as it regard, Lagos Yoruba as the offshoot of Oyo Yoruba. I must infer here that being born in Yoruba land doesn't necessarily mean you can know all the Yoruba history. In fact, the history known to all outsiders are the ones written in books. Yoruba is extremely deeper than you can imagine. Even if your great grandfather had settled in Yoruba land, it will surprise you that account are given to that regard,irrespective of the years of existence in Yoruba land. It is always enshrined in their local history. I am sure, this is obtainable else where .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Top Igbo Gospel Band In Between 1980s And Early 90's / Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba / Lady Slumped On Seeing Emir Sunusi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.