Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,450 members, 7,808,606 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:12 PM

Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri (68013 Views)

South African Man Beaten By Homophobes For Being Gay / All Passengers Robbed And Kidnapped By Gunmen In Rivers State. Photo / Chibuihe Obi Who Was Kidnapped Regains Freedom (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by chimebube: 4:23pm On Jun 04, 2017
Chibuihe Obi, a writer with Brittle Paper who has been missing since June 1, according to some Twitter users, was kidnapped for “spreading Satanism”. One user said the writer who lives in Owerri was kidnapped over his last article on homosexuality.
Chibuihe is well known for his essays on LGBTQ-themed poems.

Here is an excerpt from his last post on Brittle Paper detailing the previous threats and attacks he and others have been faced with.

‘It is over a year now since we started publishing LGBTIQ-themed poems. Threats have been coming. Thick-brained humans come to your Facebook inbox and write long sermons peppered with hate and warnings. They’d tell you to get ready for them. One asked Romeo (Oriogun) to send him some money or he’ll send policemen after him. Another actually reported him to his superiors. One Sunday evening in April, Romeo contacted me to say that someone has reported him to the police near his new post. The officers called to inform him that they’d be at his post to arrest him. Although we were able to avert the purported arrest, because it was baseless and out of question, the threat, the harassment, was psychologically draining to Romeo.’

‘Last August, a random number left a message in my WhatsApp inbox. There was something curious about the name which made me ignore the content of the message. But I have stopped making public my locations on social media. I register my presence long after I have left the place, and if there is need for that. I try to keep my movement discrete. This way I have been able to forestall any premeditated attack.’
‘Romeo ignored this, made light the threats and, last week, he was attacked.’

Romeo was the winner of the 2017 Brunel International African Poetry Prize. He won the £3,000 for his “beautiful and deeply passionate” writing on masculinity and desire in the face of LGBT criminalisation and persecution.

http://www.lailasblog.com/2017/06/nigerian-gay-activist-reportedly-kidnapped-homophobes-owerri.html

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by Angeleena(m): 4:25pm On Jun 04, 2017
lol,I don't know if I should, feel sorry for u...but why on earth,should a man,leave all the fresh bobbies and fleshy ass,for a dry,stiffed, ass??it makes no sense,and so unusual... u just can't,imagine how disgusting, to hear the moan,of two grown men..jeeezz!!! abeg,if the kidnapping go,rearrange the boy brain,no wahala..

375 Likes 34 Shares

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by soberdrunk(m): 4:26pm On Jun 04, 2017
Some people just like to 'gamble' with their life, in a country where 'straight' people are not safe and are killed for very irrelevant reasons, you decided to carry 'homosexuality' on ur head like agege bread knowing fully well that 7 out of 10 Nigerians are homophobic and the 2 out of this 10 pretend to be, you even added 'satanism' to the equation in a very 'religious' country, this guy must be 'suicidal' angry angry

341 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by poshestmina(f): 4:28pm On Jun 04, 2017
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by Seeker17(m): 4:30pm On Jun 04, 2017
grin grin This one bit more than he could chew

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by calliope(f): 4:47pm On Jun 04, 2017
My Goodness, they suspected him gay hence the kidnap. He's just a mere activist who seeks out for equal rights and fairness for sexually oppressed people.
I think the law is taken too literally by most citizens in very hostile environments. Some laws are just unethical and this is true for the 2014 law signed by GEJ. How does a parent report their child to authorities for being gay? Isnt it absurd! Taking the advantage of the law and humiliating gays and pro gays is just so inhumane and uncalled for. There is no law that promotes mob psychology and violence like the 2014 anti-gay marriage law.
Nigeria lawmakers made a very bad precedent for the rest of Africa.

87 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by PastorandMentor(m): 4:47pm On Jun 04, 2017
I never blow woman finish na man. cheesy grin

44 Likes

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jun 04, 2017
*sighs*

If we attach the same importance to condemning bad governance as we do to this LGBTQ issue, we wouldn't be in this shoddy state we're in.

I have given up on explaining to people that Homosexuality isnt a disease. This country is way too riddled with senseless folks to even attempt to begin.

As you can see, even the so called Educated are supporting their acts on this thread.

What hope is left for this country sad

81 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by israelboy1(m): 4:48pm On Jun 04, 2017
This is strong

3 Likes

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by nrexzy: 4:48pm On Jun 04, 2017
If I wasn't a Christian I would hv said something...

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by jstbeinhonest(m): 4:48pm On Jun 04, 2017
Intolerance

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by PearlStreet(m): 4:48pm On Jun 04, 2017
Angeleena:
lol,I don't know if I should, feel sorry for u...but why on earth,should a man,leave all the fresh bobbies and fleshy ass,for a dry,stiffed, ass??it makes no sense,and so unusual... u just can't,imagine how disgusting, to hear the moan,of two grown men..jeeezz!!! abeg,if the kidnapping go,rearrange the boy brain,no wahala..

Morality is relative to each society. The laws of each society are based on the morals of such society.

In the US and Europe for instance, it is a crime to beat up your kids when correcting them. However, it is a norm here in Nigeria. Conversely, sexual deviants are a norm in the US and Europe but they are regarded as criminals under Nigerian laws.

No person or group of persons have any right to force Nigerians to accept the dictates of sexual deviants. If we do, we must also accept kleptomaniacs, Serial killers, rapists and all forms of social misfits.

That being said, it is utmost foolishness for this young man to stand here in Nigeria glorify acts which are against Nigeria's popular standpoint. He could have done this from the comfort of wherever evil place where sexual deviants are celebrated. He decided to come here and rub it in our faces. Unfortunately, he has fallen into the hands of those with less tolerance.

107 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jun 04, 2017
grin grin grin grin

74 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by mmsen: 4:49pm On Jun 04, 2017
soberdrunk:
Some people just like to 'gamble' with their life, in a country where 'straight' people are not safe and are killed for very irrelevant reasons, you decided to carry 'homosexuality' on ur head like agege bread knowing fully well that 7 out of 10 Nigerians are homophobic and the 2 out of this 10 pretend to be, you even added 'satanism' to the equation in a very 'religious' country, this guy must be 'suicidal' angry angry

He's a brave man and should be commended for challenging the childish stereotypes and myths that many Nigerians hold onto and I say this as someone who really doesn't concern themselves with gay issues at all.

Nigerians can't keep crying about the slow pace of social and economic progress whilst trying to hold steadfast to views and ideas that have no merit and clearly do not benefit the population.

67 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by sunnysunny69(m): 4:50pm On Jun 04, 2017
Hope he's found save, God loves a repentant sinner

5 Likes

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jun 04, 2017
I hope he doesn't get harmed.

He is still a human being regardless of orientation.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by GBTYO: 4:51pm On Jun 04, 2017
Faggin
Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by Ne0w1zarD: 4:51pm On Jun 04, 2017
See him flat head, after many problems we are facing here, one mumu will come and add homosexual wahala join...

Mr GAYbriel , after your release (if they show u small mercy), you go learn your lesson... Omo ale jati jati

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by pyin112: 4:52pm On Jun 04, 2017
So they can't marry a lady. Smh

3 Likes

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jun 04, 2017
Angeleena:
You certainly have no human feelings angry

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by EvilMetahuman: 4:52pm On Jun 04, 2017
Gay activist in a country filled delusional homophobes?

That's a freaking suicide.

It's like an atheist walking and preaching against islam on the street of saudi arabia or afghanistan with an ahuja.

To them now, murder is better than homosexuality.
their god is against homosexual but nothing wrong with murder.

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by kaybams1(m): 4:53pm On Jun 04, 2017
Angeleena:

What two consenting adults decide to do with their private parts shouldn't be anyone's business. I still don't understand why we don't get it in this country. If I am to x-ray your life, there will be countless things I find disgusting you do, that doesn't mean I will have to kidnap, arrest or kill you for that. I have tried to imagine why anyone will actually feel any sexual attraction to the same gender but that doesn't mean I will condemn what I don't understand. And please don't pull the religion card on me, just know that heaven (if it exists) will be full of surprises.

67 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by donbenie(m): 4:53pm On Jun 04, 2017
mmsen:

He's a brave man and should be commending for challenging the childish stereotypes and myths that many Nigerians hold onto and I say this as someone who really doesn't concern themselves with gay issues at all.

Nigerians can't keep crying about the slow pace of social and economic progress whilst trying to hold steadfast to views and ideas that have no merit and clearly do not benefit the population.
It's one thing to be Gay and Lesbian in the closet of your room between Adults and quite another to be Championing the CAUSE in a Society like ours,there's a THIN line between BRAVERY and STUPIDITY..ANYBODY living in this environment and openly campaigning for Gay rights is playing LUDO with his life and case in point is this GUY..
LOL,even Atheists knows enough about self preservation in this environment to keep their opinions to themselves talk less of Gays..

70 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by humilitypays(m): 4:53pm On Jun 04, 2017
Angeleena:
cheesy cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by Rukkydelta(f): 4:53pm On Jun 04, 2017
Hmmm
Speechless
Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by tydi(m): 4:53pm On Jun 04, 2017
lol make der boost him yash

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chibuihe Obi, Gay Activist Kidnapped By Homophobes In Owerri by cold(m): 4:53pm On Jun 04, 2017
Sigh..a nation where Atheists aren't safe let alone gays

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

‘I Called Them Before I Have Sex With My Wife’; Man Hypnotised By Scammers. PIC / Man wakes up, minutes before being buried in Delta. / Alleged Fast Food Ritualist Apprehended In Imo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.