Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,651 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:54 PM

Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? (3102 Views)

Opinion: If You Really Want Your Ex To Know You've Moved On, Stop Doing This! / I Asked Her Out, But She Said Let's Just Be Friends / She Suddenly Made A U-turn And Said We Can Only Be Friends. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by seunlly(m): 11:54pm On Jun 04, 2017
Is it possible to switch off every romantic feeling you have had towards someone, and instead have a platonic relationship? I would like you to think long and hard before you answer this question. If you were in a committed relationship for years and honestly thought it was going to lead to both of you spending the rest of your lives together, and then you break up for one reason or another… would you be able to stay friends with such a person, knowing the deep feelings you once had for each other? Would you hold on to a piece of them or let it go completely?

A recent conversation with a close friend of mine had me pondering over one question. Could I remain friends with an ex? This friend of mine, who I shall call Kay is one of the nicest and most humble people I have ever met. We went to the same secondary school in Nigeria and instantly struck up a good friendship. We were inseparable and anywhere you saw me, she was never far behind and vice versa.

So Tell Me: “Can You Really Be friends With An Ex?”
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jun 04, 2017
I'm still friends with all my ex ,they tell me things happening to them, they seek advice about their current girlfriends

but recently it's affectng.my relationship, my guy thinks when you call someone your ex, u have nothin to do with each other again. He believes the feelings might come back. I reasoned with him and I cut contacts with some not all cos they still wanna be my friend.
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by ImaIma1(f): 12:01am On Jun 05, 2017
I think I would avoid being friends with an ex to avoid relapse. It's not advisable. It might delay the process of moving on.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by seunlly(m): 12:02am On Jun 05, 2017
sexybbstar:
I'm still friends with all my ex ,they tell me things happening to them, they seek advice about their current girlfriends

but recently it's affectng.my relationship, my guy thinks when you call someone your ex, u have nothin to do with each other again. He believes the feelings might come back. I reasoned with him and I cut contacts with some not all cos they still wanna be my friend.
I knew it no matter how hard u try it affects relationship. Soon enough I'm sure the rest will still have effect.
So sis how do you cope with mingling with your ex
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by seunlly(m): 12:03am On Jun 05, 2017
ImaIma1:
I think I would avoid being friends with an ex to avoid relapse. It's not advisable. It might delay the process of moving on.
I think it also depends on how you guys break up

1 Like

Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by nNEOo(m): 12:05am On Jun 05, 2017
This is the dumbest question i've heard in a long time.....

for the sake of decency let me not loose my calm....op YES you should not only be friends with ur X YOU MUST BE FRIENDS WITH YOUR X........(for God's sake what is wrong with ppl?)
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by Nobody: 12:13am On Jun 05, 2017
seunlly:
I knew it no matter how hard u try it affects relationship. Soon enough I'm sure the rest will still have effect.
So sis how do you cope with mingling with your ex

we do not see each other again,we only chat.
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by Mimzyy(f): 12:15am On Jun 05, 2017
No! There's no point.

1 Like

Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by frenzydilz(m): 12:21am On Jun 05, 2017
Just like keeping in touch with your kidnappers after they have released you
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by Florblu(f): 12:32am On Jun 05, 2017
Cc:thelastmediator
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by Nobody: 12:43am On Jun 05, 2017
Quite good friends actually
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by SexyNairalander: 12:50am On Jun 05, 2017
sexybbstar:

I love your smile
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by EmekaBlue(m): 1:05am On Jun 05, 2017
sexybbstar:

As young as you are *ALL YOUR EX. Hmm....So bfr u ladies settle down,u allow many men access ur body.

Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by Eazie351(m): 1:43am On Jun 05, 2017
Its not advisable but its okay.
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by Nobody: 1:55am On Jun 05, 2017
Go and check my most recent threads on Romance land.
It is not advisable to keep an ex as a friend.
You can say hello whenever you bump into each other but as a friend. It is a no-no.

Speaking from experience.
After she insisted on being friends after breakup.
Already banged my most recent ex like 5 times last month alone including an all night action before I had to block her on all social media, even her number is barred on my phone.

1 Like

Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by caspet(m): 3:40am On Jun 05, 2017
I don't welcome the idea of being a friend with an ex especially the one you love so much & you don't even have a vivid explanation to how the both of you part ways.I do avoid my ex like a plague either to build the trust in my present relationship or her own to prevail smoothly.

2 Likes

Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by kdfemi(m): 6:13am On Jun 05, 2017
You guys worked out has friends moved a step(in to relationship) didn't work out, go back a step (friends) that is how it should be not go back to being total strangers

1 Like

Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by shinarlaura(f): 6:28am On Jun 05, 2017
I have a very good relationship with my ex
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by jay2pee(m): 6:44am On Jun 05, 2017
Yes... I am still friends with my ex and she still advice me whenever I am having a little issue in my new relationship... She has moved on though... Distance has been our issue so we had to end it
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by Nobody: 6:54am On Jun 05, 2017
Nope. When we break up, I don't know you. Break ups usually don't happen just because. The reason we break up, is the same reason why I will want nothing to do with you ever again. I'm not friends with any of my exes because of that. Why would I wanna have an untrustworthy liar as a friend? If he's not good enough as a BF, then he's not good enough as a friend in my book.
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by Nobody: 6:59am On Jun 05, 2017
Hell No!

That's why he's an EX ...

1 Like

Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by seunlly(m): 7:39am On Jun 05, 2017
Eazie351:
Its not advisable but its okay.
if it not advisable then y is it okay
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by seunlly(m): 7:40am On Jun 05, 2017
ZarZar:
Nope. When we break up, I don't know you. Break ups usually don't happen just because. The reason we break up, is the same reason why I will want nothing to do with you ever again. I'm not friends with any of my exes because of that. Why would I wanna have an untrustworthy liar as a friend? If he's not good enough as a BF, then he's not good enough as a friend in my book.
u mean all your exes are liars
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by Nobody: 7:47am On Jun 05, 2017
seunlly:
u mean all your exes are liars

Was just giving an example why I'm not friends with some. The reason for the break ups were different but none were pleasant, hence I can never be friends with an ex. Even if he was "good", I still wouldn't be friends on the grounds of wanting to keep my baggage light & not really caring about them anymore.
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by YtivitissuP: 7:51am On Jun 05, 2017
I'm friends with all my exes and I enjoy it a lot... It comes with a lot of benefits, not necessarily sexual
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by cuvox(m): 7:55am On Jun 05, 2017
of course. just cause the relationship didn't work out doesn't mean I should throw you in the trash. As long as that ex doesn't pose a threat to my relationship, we are good to go
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by Nobody: 8:05am On Jun 05, 2017
No, I cannot.

Friendly Exes have a great tendency to develop into friends-with-benefits anytime you're hard-up for company (since technically it wouldn't add to your body count), and that would complicate things going forward. And even if they don't, there would be trust issues to navigate with the new guy if the ex is still hanging around. It's baggage best done without.

I break off cleanly. And permanently.
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by seunlly(m): 8:14am On Jun 05, 2017
ZarZar:

Was just giving an example why I'm not friends with some. The reason for the break ups were different but none were pleasant, hence I can never be friends with an ex. Even if he was "good", I still wouldn't be friends on the grounds of wanting to keep my baggage light & not really caring about them anymore.
wwhat if they wants to be freinds with you willu agree
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by Eazie351(m): 8:15am On Jun 05, 2017
seunlly:
if it not advisable then y is it okay
Its okay if you want to be friends with ur ex, but for feelings sake, its nuh advisable. Esp.the ones you continually bleeped for years.
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by Nobody: 8:22am On Jun 05, 2017
seunlly:
wwhat if they wants to be freinds with you willu agree

No. I honestly don't see the point.
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by seunlly(m): 8:25am On Jun 05, 2017
Eazie351:

Its okay if you want to be friends with ur ex, but for feelings sake, its nuh advisable. Esp.the ones you continually bleeped for years.
that what I hate to hear in relationship Bleep
Re: Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? by seunlly(m): 8:26am On Jun 05, 2017
ZarZar:

No. I honestly don't see the point.
oops really.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should I Get Down With My Cousin? / Please How Do I Leave A Girl Without Hurting Her? / If You Will See Pastor Chris This Morning Ensure You Share This With Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.