Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,760 members, 7,806,082 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria - Travel (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria (35243 Views)

See How Lagosians Sleep In Buses On Their Way To Work In The Morning (PHOTOS) / 5 Best Places To Live In Lagos / Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Veron265(f): 5:17pm On Jun 12, 2017
morpheus24:

Ahh My*** marrawian***. forgive the jokes. I know a lot of Malawians find it hard to pronounce their L's and R's.

Once you get to Naija or before, you can contact the church they will give you logistics on how to get there.

If you are going to be trying out a lot of dishes, you will need that Peptobismal or gaviscon, trust me

My bros....you're such an idiot lol haha
Abeg 'Malawi' is never 'broken' regardless of one's L and R syndrome status.
I'll have you know.....even the Chinese and Thai folk suffer from it......and our cousins in Zambia, our vernacular uses the L and R interchangeably at times.

That said, will try to contact them for the logistics.
Thing is, I've filled in the questionaire and followed up with the fone call.
I didn't like that I was told there's a long list and I should consult an 'agent'.

I'll makw my way up and see how it works out....I'm dedicating 14 days to it.

Gaviscon will be packed....that's a familiar brand.

You seem very conversant with Sadc and it's ways....noice
Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by All49ja: 6:11pm On Jun 12, 2017
Veron265:

I hear you about exploring, I have enough stamps on y passport but haven't ventured into West African territory yet.
Nigeria will be my first (tempted to visit Ghana whilst I'm at it, no visa but cash and time limitations).

I love, love Egusi soup.....it's 10/10, I could eat it everyday....with lots of ponmo in it.
Looking forward to trying it on home turf, since the fine skimp on palm oil and bitter leaf, they use spinach imagine lol ha ha...
I want to try the famous Suya etc.

I have a to-eat list....yes, I'm a proud foodie

Thanks for the best wishes.

Wow, good you love egbusi, be careful with Suya though. It has pepper.

And I know you guys from the South don't like pepper.

I once cooked a soup meat with Nigeria grounded pepper, then my female neighbour SA ate some. She kept crying "I don't believe you can do this to me" after taking just one bit of peppered meat.

Since that day she never asked to eat again. cheesy

Hope you can eat pepper cos we Yoruba people love pepper and em Suya has pepper also. wink

Goodluck!
Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by morpheus24: 7:18pm On Jun 12, 2017
Veron265:

My bros....you're such an idiot lol haha
Abeg 'Malawi' is never 'broken' regardless of one's L and R syndrome status.
I'll have you know.....even the Chinese and Thai folk suffer from it......and our cousins in Zambia, our vernacular uses the L and R interchangeably at times.

That said, will try to contact them for the logistics.
Thing is, I've filled in the questionaire and followed up with the fone call.
I didn't like that I was told there's a long list and I should consult an 'agent'.

I'll makw my way up and see how it works out....I'm dedicating 14 days to it.

Gaviscon will be packed....that's a familiar brand.

You seem very conversant with Sadc and it's ways....noice

worked in southern Africa as an attache for a non profit

1 Like

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by jayriginal: 9:14pm On Jun 12, 2017
All49ja:

Wow, good you love egbusi,

Why on earth do you call it that? I thought it was a typo the first time. Lose the "b".
Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by All49ja: 9:19pm On Jun 12, 2017
jayriginal:

Why on earth do you call it that? I thought it was a typo the first time. Lose the "b".

Lol forgive my tone. Sorry boss.

1 Like

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by jayriginal: 9:21pm On Jun 12, 2017
All49ja:

Lol forgive my tone. Sorry boss.

Correct man!
Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Veron265(f): 11:15pm On Jun 13, 2017
All49ja:

Wow, good you love egbusi, be careful with Suya though. It has pepper.

And I know you guys from the South don't like pepper.

I once cooked a soup meat with Nigeria grounded pepper, then my female neighbour SA ate some. She kept crying "I don't believe you can do this to me" after taking just one bit of peppered meat.

Since that day she never asked to eat again. cheesy

Hope you can eat pepper cos we Yoruba people love pepper and em Suya has pepper also. wink

Goodluck!

Hectic.....I didn't realise suya is super spicy/hot....well...thanks for the warning.
They say to be fore-warned is to be fore-armed....I'll have a banana and milk to cut out the heat.

#####

You story reminds me of an incident I had way back with a 9ja friend.
I'd decided I wanted to make a bean stew...got cooking....added the 'frozen pre-blended tomato' etc. Was quite pleased with my efforts and excited to dig in.
Gave the beans a taste....chai....it was 'chilly' fully peppered up .....I went on to add more tomato it the hopes of diluting the heat. No chance.....
Told my friend my beans were over-peppered and my efforts ....only to be told 'the tomatoes were blended together with chillies'....

I was so not impressed..... that's me putting it mildly....

So yes.....I know all about this peppe obsession.
Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Veron265(f): 11:17pm On Jun 13, 2017
jayriginal:

I noted the 'b' too and thought oh well.....
Perhaps varied dialects etc......
Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Veron265(f): 11:28pm On Jun 13, 2017
@ Afrikanbabe
How is the job hunt going?
Is it not better you're on the ground in 9ja rather than here in mzansi?

I ask this because.....your story is a tad similar to mine....I recently relocated back to Mzansi....being here doing the search feels better. Although it's all web-based applications etc.
One interview thus far.....

Sure, I did all my schooling here and couldn't wait to head back and conquer MW...gave it a go and I think I'm better off here....

So I know this need to want to secure something prior to arrival.
But sometimes, one must take the leap of faith.
You know the turf, you have connects there....gather enough cash and tsamaya....we can go to SCOAN together if you like.....what will you have to lose right? Yes, no, maybe?

1 Like

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by jayriginal: 11:43pm On Jun 13, 2017
Veron265:

I noted the 'b' too and thought oh well.....
Perhaps varied dialects etc......

Nah, egusi is universal grin

1 Like

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Veron265(f): 11:29pm On Jun 18, 2017
Update

It turns out my southy friend has departed last night's flight.
I'm curious and excited to hear how it will go, how she'll like it etc.

True to what you folks said, the SA-9ja based companies are willing to lend and ear.
LinkedIn has done wonders, plus her known contacts etc.

As for me....I await a few pieces to come together

1 Like

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by morpheus24: 1:41pm On Jun 19, 2017
Veron265:
Update

True to what you folks said, the SA-9ja based companies are willing to lend and ear.

Good for her. tell her to send you video and pic updates if she can so you can see for yourself.

Good luck
Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jun 19, 2017
Veron265:
Update

Does she have any contacts? I know someone that can sublet a comfortable house for three months at Parkview estate, if she's interested, Holla at me.
Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by morpheus24: 4:11pm On Jun 19, 2017
Pidgin2:

Does she have any contacts? I know someone that can sublet a comfortable house for three months at Parkview estate, if she's interested, Holla at me.
Parkview!!

Pidgin make you pity the girl o, no be small money that one go be o.

1 Like

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jun 19, 2017
morpheus24:
Parkview!!
cheesy
Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jun 19, 2017
morpheus24:
Parkview!!
cheesy
Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by afrikanbabe(f): 10:55pm On Jun 20, 2017
Veron265:
@ Afrikanbabe
How is the job hunt going?
Is it not better you're on the ground in 9ja rather than here in mzansi?

I ask this because.....your story is a tad similar to mine....I recently relocated back to Mzansi....being here doing the search feels better. Although it's all web-based applications etc.
One interview thus far.....

Sure, I did all my schooling here and couldn't wait to head back and conquer MW...gave it a go and I think I'm better off here....

So I know this need to want to secure something prior to arrival.
But sometimes, one must take the leap of faith.
You know the turf, you have connects there....gather enough cash and tsamaya....we can go to SCOAN together if you like.....what will you have to lose right? Yes, no, maybe?

The job hunting is going dear. Slowly but surely.
I guess sometimes being on ground works better... hmm. To tell you the truth, I'm seriously considering that route - to be in there..

I've been watching emmtv of late and maybe visting scoan could be an option.

Let's connect

1 Like

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by afrikanbabe(f): 10:56pm On Jun 20, 2017
Veron265:
Update

I want to know more! Success stories are motivating
Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by afrikanbabe(f): 10:57pm On Jun 20, 2017
Pidgin2:

Hey pidgin...
I'm hollering... 3 months sublet can be doable instead of a year. Talk to me
Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Veron265(f): 12:38am On Jun 21, 2017
afrikanbabe:

The job hunting is going dear. Slowly but surely.
I guess sometimes being on ground works better... hmm. To tell you the truth, I'm seriously considering that route - to be in there..

I've been watching emmtv of late and maybe visting scoan could be an option.

Let's connect

Will mail you to get in Whatsapp......
Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Veron265(f): 12:47am On Jun 21, 2017
morpheus24:

Good for her. tell her to send you video and pic updates if she can so you can see for yourself.

Good luck

I've seen pix of the trip she took to the fish market.
Fish i haven't seen before....
(Malawi and it's stocks fresh water fish only)

She's fascinated by the 'gate-man, maid, driver' life....but that too no be new ting for me..... it's common place for the ROA I guess....

I'm awaiting more fotos.....July seems too far oo

@Pidgin2. She's sorted with accommodation etc. But I'm sure she can't be hosted forever either.

@Afrikanbabe she's got some job talks lined up ....I'll tell her you're looking for a marketing position...

1 Like

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by afrikanbabe(f): 2:25am On Jun 21, 2017
Veron265:

I've seen pix of the trip she took to the fish market.
Fish i haven't seen before....
(Malawi and it's stocks fresh water fish only)

She's fascinated by the 'gate-man, maid, driver' life....but that too no be new ting for me..... it's common place for the ROA I guess....

I'm awaiting more fotos.....July seems too far oo

@Pidgin2. She's sorted with accommodation etc. But I'm sure she can't be hosted forever either.

@Afrikanbabe she's got some job talks lined up ....I'll tell her you're looking for a marketing position...

Thanks dear. I've just emailed you by the way. Let me know if received.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Tklabelle(f): 5:52pm On Jun 23, 2017
Veron265:
Update

She got a job?
Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by morpheus24: 12:43pm On Jun 26, 2017
Veron265:

My dear too many unemployed people in the country so abundance of labor. One would prefer doing "gate-man" job where at least he is in the big city, usually has free accommodation and whose sole task is to open and close the gate for oga. It beats languishing away in some village in the hinterlands
Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by afrikanbabe(f): 7:59pm On Jun 26, 2017
afrikanbabe:
Hello Nairalanders,

I am a South African woman very interested in relocating to Lagos, Nigeria. I've lived in the country before so I'm quite familiar with the people, food and culture. I love the energy in Nigeria despite the hardships.
I would like to find out how South Africans living in Nigeria get their jobs, via international recruiters or friends or how? Also, how easy is it to organize the right papers? I am not looking to marry for green card oo... unless genuine love is concerned.

So any advice or leads, I'd really appreciate. Thank you folks

Well well.. what do fellow Nairalanders think of being based in Nigeria via a Niger wives visa

1 Like

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Tklabelle(f): 9:46am On Jun 27, 2017
afrikanbabe:

Well well.. what do fellow Nairalanders think of being based in Nigeria via a Niger wives visa

Lol please tell us more
Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Maduawuchukwu(m): 9:40pm On Jun 27, 2017
afrikanbabe:

If you can pull it off, it's cool.
Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by afrikanbabe(f): 10:41pm On Nov 01, 2017
afrikanbabe:
Hello Nairalanders,

I am a South African woman very interested in relocating to Lagos, Nigeria. I've lived in the country before so I'm quite familiar with the people, food and culture. I love the energy in Nigeria despite the hardships.
I would like to find out how South Africans living in Nigeria get their jobs, via international recruiters or friends or how? Also, how easy is it to organize the right papers? I am not looking to marry for green card oo... unless genuine love is concerned.

So any advice or leads, I'd really appreciate. Thank you folks

I’m in Lagos

2 Likes

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by londoner: 7:04am On Nov 02, 2017
afrikanbabe:

I’m in Lagos

Great! You made it to Lagos. Enjoy �
Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 02, 2017
afrikanbabe:

I’m in Lagos

When did you arrive? Someone else booked the parkview accommodation ahead of you, sorry about that
Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by jayriginal: 8:08pm On Nov 02, 2017
afrikanbabe:

I’m in Lagos

Welcome. Do find time to tell us how you're faring thus far.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Trailer & Toyota Corolla In Accident In Benue (Graphic Pictures) / Man Sleeping In A Moving Garbage Truck In Lagos / Itunnu Babalola: Facts Of The Matter - NIDCOM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.