Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,042 members, 7,807,125 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:59 AM

How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life (36085 Views)

Npower Shame On You / Pls Help, Am Begining To Regret Ever Giving Out 6yrs Of My Life To Education / What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by AniwetaluEmma(m): 9:25pm On Jun 05, 2017
My brother when I read your story I remember what I passed through. I have an done an odd job even with my master degree in the same environment. It was so humiliating but I didn't care about what people were saying about me. In fact in several occasions I have run into lady's I once have affairs with. They were so disappointed in me. But I still didn't look at anybody face. I was so focus and determined in the job I was doing. The proceed from that work I used to cater for my PhD program which no body new that I was doing. Today I have gotten my dream job. Am doing very well now. My story has change in their mouth. So it does not matter what you do now.what matter is where you are going my brother.

6 Likes

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by pro2010: 9:29pm On Jun 05, 2017
femi4:
The race is not for the swift.

The battle is not for the strong.

Wise people don't necessarily have food

The brilliant ones are not always wealthy

The educated is not always successful.

Time and chance happened to them all.

◄ Ecclesiastes 9:11 (New living Translation)

This crap you wrote up there applies only in Nigeria..makei here say the battle is not for the strong, or that the brilliant people are not rich in obodo oyibo.

1 Like

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by oweniwe(m): 9:30pm On Jun 05, 2017
naturalwaves:

I feel your pain bro. The first step is merely to seek specific knowledge. There are more things attached, one cannot just stop at that, one must also be able to think outside the box. I have friends who are excellent programmers and companies use them to make millions and pay them peanuts. Most of them can write whatever you want them to code but they lack that ingenuity to think of an idea themselves and create it.

What about... You have the knowledge & skill... Business ideas too... But no capital or corporate structure to launch it?

Like me.. . I once developed a school results processing portal ... With one big man promising he'll set up the required data processing center. ... But after the portal went live, the big man chickened out and everything crashed.

Or being able to write good books/ scripts... But no capital to produce them? It's useless trying to sell scripts in Nigeria cos even if you manage to sell it, they'll pay you half peanut.

So it is a two way situation... Work first, save ... And start an Enterprise with your savings (If one can't get work to earn and save, one would feel stranded like the o.p...)

.... Not continue to work till you grow grey hairs.

Those casual labor guys who are making money now already had the tools & structures inherited/leased from other folks ... While fresh graduates have nothing to start with
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by deepchocolate: 9:33pm On Jun 05, 2017
If education alone is what makes one rich , NIGERIAN would have been the richest immigrants in the USA.
This thing hit me like a bath of cold water when i first heard on npr radio that nigerian are the most educated group of immigrants in america.
I went and google it and surprise that was true .

And yet when it comes to wealth in america nigerians are nowhere near the JEW ( number 1 ) , INDIANs , CHINESE etc....!
Time to wake up. This is a new world we living in .
- critical thinking and creativity
- entrepreneurship with goal and passion is what makes you rich .

3 Likes

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by divinelove(m): 9:35pm On Jun 05, 2017
poshestmina:
I know someone that made 2:1 ,mathematics and statics from U I , went back to school and read Engineering ,made a 2:1 again ,went for his M sc...Bro ,that man was my JAMB CLASSES maths tutor with all those plenty brains.(if this man teach you mathematics and you don't understand, just dash someone your brain).

The last time I saw him ,he was into Cucumber farming ,fish and snail farming sad sad sad...NIGERIA is a dream killer

So what's wrong in being a farmer dnt u kw self employment is surest route to wealth. U need to change ur mentality.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by AuroraB(f): 9:36pm On Jun 05, 2017
BroZuma:
grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin What's the Op talking about sad
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by femi4: 9:37pm On Jun 05, 2017
pro2010:

This crap you wrote up there applies only in Nigeria..makei here say the battle is not for the strong, or that the brilliant people are not rich in obodo oyibo.
Illiterate
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jun 05, 2017
AuroraB:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin What's the Op talking about sad

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by omoelerin1: 9:39pm On Jun 05, 2017
divinelove:
The same old and outdated mentality - that you were brilliant at school does not mean you wont be poor or you wont die of poverty.

Infact most brilliant people are not entrepreneurial they all earn salaries n die poor like most professors. Go and read rich dad and poor dad by Robert kiyosaki.

To be wealth you need financial education.

most landlords in most cities didnt attend universities yet they are wealthy, money has its own rules entirely n has nothing to do with being a first class student or graduate.

forget ur brilliant past, live in ur present and chart a course for the future you desire
'most landlords in most cities didnt go to universities, yet they are wealthy.' This reminds me of when I was in the Uni in Ibadan. As I was passing on the street arround my area, only this aged man was standing infront of his beautiful house, he uttered this word: 'God I thank you, many that even went to school did not achieve what I achieved'
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by AuroraB(f): 9:41pm On Jun 05, 2017
[quote author=BroZuma post=57229791][/quote] grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Sebastine1994(m): 9:45pm On Jun 05, 2017
My brother. If you forget everything everybody have said here then dont forget mine. Money is a reward for creating value. Solve a problem for people and money will come. Dont chase money or happiness because it will elude you. Dont just start a business. Bring a solution. Every rich entrepreneur today is a problem solver.what problem are you solving with your knowledge. A real problem.

1 Like

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by naturalwaves: 9:50pm On Jun 05, 2017
oweniwe:

What about... You have the knowledge & skill... Business ideas too... But no capital or corporate structure to launch it?

Like me.. . I once developed a school results processing portal ... With one big man promising he'll set up the required data processing center. ... But after the portal went live, the big man chickened out and everything crashed.

Or being able to write good books/ scripts... But no capital to produce them? It's useless trying to sell scripts in Nigeria cos even if you manage to sell it, they'll pay you half peanut.

So it is a two way situation... Work first, save ... And start an Enterprise with your savings (If one can't get work to earn and save, one would feel stranded like the o.p...)

.... Not continue to work till you grow grey hairs.

Those casual labor guys who are making money now already had the tools & structures inherited/leased from other folks ... While fresh graduates have nothing to start with
Yeah, you are right. Even the likes of Larry Page and his friend( google owners) had to seek for investors
Same thing with most IT related stuffs. We can only keep on trying.

1 Like

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jun 05, 2017
well shyt.....All i can say is Alhamdullilah, cause i got both & i strongly believe i will be even better than dangote in the future. May God bless us all. Amen
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by kaymart: 10:03pm On Jun 05, 2017
u know what
This evening, I got a choice to prepare going to Dubia from a very good uncle of mine. He's been there for me all this while, right from my undergraduate days... But u know what? To go get paid jobs?? live like a second citizen/treated like a BULLSHIT? Hell no. I ain't leaving Naija.....I see greater opportunities here.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by porozhniy(m): 10:10pm On Jun 05, 2017
25k per month isn't much in this current economic situation, but you should see whatever you do as a learning curve. Start keeping a database of your clients, it'll be easier to sell other ancillary goods & services to them cos they already trust you. Instead of quitting, think of ways to expand, don't let your hardwork go to waste.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Emmanuel950(m): 10:10pm On Jun 05, 2017
Beosten:
I grew up in a town where there were four government primary schools. Note that there was nothing like private schools there in those days. I was a popular pupil then, because I was winning inter-school competitions for my school. I was a class captain throughout, and senior prefect.

Can I teach you how to earn a decent living online as a freelance writer.

You'll only be needing a computer, preferably a laptop, about 5k for internet subscription, a Skype account, a freelancer account on Freelancer, and a steady power supply. Even in the absence of a laptop, an Android phone should suffice. I'll teach you all I know.

Also, you'll be needing serious prayers. Please send me a PM here or find me on Twitter @littlechibz.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by poshestmina(f): 10:13pm On Jun 05, 2017
divinelove:

So what's wrong in being a farmer dnt u kw self employment is surest route to wealth. U need to change ur mentality.

If he planned being a farmer,he would not have wasted more than 12 years of his life acquiring degrees .

1 Like

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by microlincoln: 10:20pm On Jun 05, 2017
poshestmina:
I know someone that made 2:1 ,mathematics and statics from U I , went back to school and read Engineering ,made a 2:1 again ,went for his M sc...Bro ,that man was my JAMB CLASSES maths tutor with all those plenty brains.(if this man teach you mathematics and you don't understand, just dash someone your brain).

The last time I saw him ,he was into Cucumber farming ,fish and snail farming sad sad sad...NIGERIA is a dream killer
I also support you and relate to this. i wont be ashamed to say i fall into this category too. I am an M.Sc graduate in medical microbiology and public health but resolved into teaching biology for psaltry sum of 8k per month after years of searching for job and even been duped a times! may God deliver us in Nigeria.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by lacapine: 10:37pm On Jun 05, 2017
our Education system is faulty. yes, go to school but by all means acquire a skill and have a mindset of someone who wants to be an employer of labour. That's what everybody should tell the young ones arround them.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Adeoba10(m): 10:40pm On Jun 05, 2017
@Beosten Bro don't be discourage, I am a first class graduate from Fed University, i graduated 2013, till now.... Na Ajo (daily contributions) i dey collect.... Most of the time i come in contact with my level n coursemate... I know that for every hustling period there is always a payday.... Just keep on Bro....

1 Like

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by lawrykings(m): 10:48pm On Jun 05, 2017
Mr2kay2:
Mods please stop pushing such stories to FP ITS MAKING CHILDREN THINK ABOUT NOT GOING TO THE UNI

wow! you just foresaw what will be of Nigeria soon. you have a sharp instinct.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Yhemit(m): 11:14pm On Jun 05, 2017
BornAgainMay:
Bro you are not alone.

Last two months I rounded up my service, I rushed back to Lagos with the hope that I will secure at least a teaching job to start with as a graduate of political science education.

I got disappointed bcoz anybody can actually teach that Government /Social studies and civic education without the required qualifications. My intent was to teach and garner more experience and then proceed with my masters.

As I am talking to you now, no teaching vacancies around. No job anywhere. I had to apply to a laundry man position around my street.

When the secretary saw my cv she wanted to slap me. Saying I should be out there looking for something meaningful. I laughed and just told her that she won't understand.

I was lucky to gain the job as a laundry man and I believe God who has been keeping me alive knows why I am passing through all these..

Embrace yourself and know that you're not alone

God am about to enter the labour market as well.... graduate of political sc. waiting for nysc, Tho am not planning to work for anybody...... wanttu be my own boss, just need small capital to boost my business.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by iyamoliki: 11:27pm On Jun 05, 2017
my brother, life goes on with my 2,2 then, l am now a lecturer in a federal poly. please do not give up.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by phenol33(m): 11:30pm On Jun 05, 2017
divinelove:
The same old and outdated mentality - that you were brilliant at school does not mean you wont be poor or you wont die of poverty.

Infact most brilliant people are not entrepreneurial they all earn salaries n die poor like most professors. Go and read rich dad and poor dad by Robert kiyosaki.

To be wealth you need financial education.

most landlords in most cities didnt attend universities yet they are wealthy, money has its own rules entirely n has nothing to do with being a first class student or graduate.

forget ur brilliant past, live in ur present and chart a course for the future you desire
this book changed my perception about life... getting educated is one aspect of life and getting wealthy is another aspect. now I am a business man, I took it up from my dad whom is just a standard 6 holder, but u can hardly cheat him with arithmetics. I learned how to make money from him. now I lend money to my friends with 2:1, but I boast with 2:2 in industrial chemistry. that's life for u.

1 Like

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Allpropertyfocu: 11:43pm On Jun 05, 2017
naturalwaves:

You guys keep on repeating that same line over and over again. Success has principles. If you follow the principles, you will be successful and the number one principle of success is to seek specific knowledge. Nigerians are so gullible. You take everything you are given hook line and sinker and quote verses to show that someone lazying around can have an edge over someone that is hardworking. While I am not denying the fact that this is possible, do not attach such successes to someone randomly showing people mercy irrespective of what you do. A not too brilliant student may have a better networking skill or communicate with people more. Nigeria is large, there are a lot of sound guys outside, one needs to come out of one's shell.
success has no principles brother...just follow some rules of nature and break some rules as well....its not bad to put God first....just pay attention to what works for u

3 Likes

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by folasayolyn(f): 11:49pm On Jun 05, 2017
BornAgainMay:
Bro you are not alone.

Last two months I rounded up my service, I rushed back to Lagos with the hope that I will secure at least a teaching job to start with as a graduate of political science education.

I got disappointed bcoz anybody can actually teach that Government /Social studies and civic education without the required qualifications. My intent was to teach and garner more experience and then proceed with my masters.

As I am talking to you now, no teaching vacancies around. No job anywhere. I had to apply to a laundry man position around my street.

When the secretary saw my cv she wanted to slap me. Saying I should be out there looking for something meaningful. I laughed and just told her that she won't understand.

I was lucky to gain the job as a laundry man and I believe God who has been keeping me alive knows why I am passing through all these..

Embrace yourself and know that you're not alone

since you are in Lagos go online looking for Tutors, there are several services. For 2 tutoring clients 3 times a week 6 days you could make over 70k. the distance may be an issue
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by poshestmina(f): 12:05am On Jun 06, 2017
microlincoln:

I also support you and relate to this. i wont be ashamed to say i fall into this category too. I am an M.Sc graduate in medical microbiology and public health but resolved into teaching biology for psaltry sum of 8k per month after years of searching for job and even been duped a times! may God deliver us in Nigeria.

sad sad sad sad sad...painful!
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by MORNDEW(m): 12:09am On Jun 06, 2017
AniwetaluEmma:
My brother when I read your story I remember what I passed through. I have an done an odd job even with my master degree in the same environment. It was so humiliating but I didn't care about what people were saying about me. In fact in several occasions I have run into lady's I once have affairs with. They were so disappointed in me. But I still didn't look at anybody face. I was so focus and determined in the job I was doing. The proceed from that work I used to cater for my PhD program which no body new that I was doing. Today I have gotten my dream job. Am doing very well now. My story has change in their mouth. So it does not matter what you do now.what matter is where you are going my brother.
PhD holder writing in this manner? Hmmmmm

1 Like

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Ifyike: 12:21am On Jun 06, 2017
Bro its well, i would advice you to make out time and learn a skill/handwork and never neglet your litle begining ok. The journey of miles starts with a step
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by toastedbread: 12:25am On Jun 06, 2017
bro, you not alone in this. we all are.
all animals sweat, but the hairs on a goat/horse makes one think they don't sweat.
as the keyboard they relax you, try see if you fit write a song to wat you play.
you'll pass this stage.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Physika(f): 12:31am On Jun 06, 2017
raphy:
everybody here has a story to tell.I lost my dad at 4yrs.we are 4,yes mum bring us up single handedly.she pass away in 2013.bless her soul.am a grownup guy now.I do wht is right.I was well train by my mum.so you see everyone has a story..

In my case, my mum had to cater for nine of us, God bless my mum and sisters.

1 Like

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by BOUNTYDOG(m): 12:48am On Jun 06, 2017
if you actually studied building tech,then you should be thinking of husstling just for a while and be an employer of labor,
just print out a business card and try visiting or relocate to a developing site,u can still be doing ur house to house teaching job ri keep body n soul whilst you visit as much sites as you can daily and try meeting with the owners to advertise ur services, you can include even all fields of building,Aluminium windows,carpentry, plus roofing,plumbing,bore hole,just general building contractor and you will be surprised @ what you can achieve
lots of uneducated people had done these and succeeded,
Better to think of ways you can put your education to use rather wanting to queue up behind a boss to show you the way after all time spent in school
see urself Like the 1st B tech graduate in the country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Happened When I Went For An Interview At Lekki / Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? / MTN Nigeria 2017 Massive Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.