Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,337 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:28 AM

How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life (36086 Views)

Npower Shame On You / Pls Help, Am Begining To Regret Ever Giving Out 6yrs Of My Life To Education / What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by doyinbaby(f): 2:29am On Jun 06, 2017
Brother keep your head up high......I am not active on Facebook again because I don't want to be intimidated or under pressure because of the achievement of others

1 Like

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Nobody: 4:45am On Jun 06, 2017
Bro, i read your story and i felt that one problem there was that you believed too much in school... I read Rich Dad, Poor dad in ss2.. thanks to Robert Kiyosaki... Since that time i knew one way or the other my test results wan't a determinant for my success in life even though i was among the hot ones then.. i knew life is not a straight line.. i followed Robert, listened to suliaman Amoako (sulibreaks),i listened Tai Lopez, i followed Gary varneychuck... I read books, i read biographies, watched interviews. Man,.... Rise above. Be tougher than your life.. There is more than one way to be an educated man. There is no point working tirelessly for something you will never own. Although there is nothing wrong in being there for a "while". MAN YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO GARY.. the more time you spend on thinking about others success the less time you have for yourself..What is that thing you really want to do.. You feel funding is what is holding you back then if you cant think straight of what you can do to get the money, know what/things you don't want to do to get the money, that should pilot you better ... Never give up on your dream man. Build relationships, connect with people, old friends. What about your time? where is your time going to.. worrying? or somethings that has nothing to do with your goal achievement? whatever you cant give your 1unit of your money don't give 1/10000 unit of your time(it means cautiously stop giving a Bleep about everything). WHAT IS IT THAT YOU WANNA DO EVERYDAY FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE?, THAT IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO... don't be surprised it might have nothing to do with your degree.. Don't do it because others are making a living out of it. Do it because "you" wanna make a life working system ND GIVE IN YOUR BEST TO IT.
One of the least brilliant guys in my class in school was the first among us to own a car. But that wasn't a measure of my own life. we all have different path ways in life and your decisions are the function(s) of the outcomes.
Above all learn from others.. The good thing about being behind is that you can learn and thread the path made by those ahead.
Be disciplined both in act and in thought.. don't hate money or those that are its present custodian. At the same time don't be servile towards money.
i'm not a devotee but i believe in prayers and in power of words. Some unseen realities are shapened by your utterances.
Let your actions keep challenging the gate of prosperity. Non stop.. It will eventually open #Hustle Legally
I pray the day brings you returns... but action is needed and "Getting better" at what you do is the Hack-Word.. #Peace

7 Likes

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Presh555(m): 7:07am On Jun 06, 2017
Beosten:
I grew up in a town where there were four government primary schools. Note that there was nothing like private schools there in those days. I was a popular pupil then, because I was winning inter-school competitions for my school. I was a class captain throughout, and senior prefect.

I repeated this feat in my secondary school, and became almost a household name in a town of over 50 thousands dwellers. My type should have worked harder to earn good grades in the university, and probably get retained. But I was hustling to fund the education, and consequently shared my time between earning money and lectures. So, handouts and photocopies were my learning aids. I graduated with second class lower.

My fame soared when, during my university days, my school principal invited me to teach finalists Mathematics due to dearth of teachers.

Fast forward to 2017, no job is forthcoming. A brother of mine from a different mother now owns a car and an auto-mechanic shop. He was known as a very poor student because people wondered at such discrepancy in IQ of related brothers.

To keep body and soul together, I'm doing a job that requires me rendering a service from door to door everyday. I make at least 25k in this job monthly compared to 13k these proprietors are offering me--their argument is that B.Tech degree is not suitable for teaching. It's a common knowledge that only the uneducated and street urchins do this kind of job I do now.

Now I rendered the service to a couple who happened to know me back in the days. I couldn't recognize them at first. The wife was a classmate of mine with four children while the husband was a senior student in our high school then. The husband recalled how the then English teacher used me to ridicule the SS3 students to which he belonged. They couldn't pronounce 'colonel' correctly. So, he shopped for me in JS1 and I got it right. Living in a city now, I didn't think of it that I could easily run into my contemporaries.

"Is this not Yemi?" he asked rhetorically. "Didn't you proceed to the higher institution? How come you are doing this kind of job?" he continued.

The wife reminded me of her name, and I recognized her.

If 17k is used for feeding, 2k for consumables monthly, how much will I be able to save to start a decent business? Note that responsibilities like parents and siblings in needs make it difficult to have savings.

Venting one's frustrations on keyboard these days is soothing, so I'll advice you be like me.

Ecclesiastes 9:11 (New Living Translation)
I have observed something else under the sun.

The fastest runner doesn't always win the race, and the strongest warrior doesn't always win the battle.

The wise sometimes go hungry, and *the skillful are not necessarily wealthy.*

*And those who are educated don't always lead successful lives.*

*It is all decided by chance, by being in the right place at the right time.*

2 Likes

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by iaatmguy(m): 7:19am On Jun 06, 2017
Ezedon:
Nigeria where education does not matter
if you say good grades doesn't matter you might not be far from the truth
my brother trust me . It matters no matter how someone likes you the person can't give you a job in a corporate world if you are not educated.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Yhemit(m): 7:26am On Jun 06, 2017
iyamoliki:
my brother, life goes on with my 2,2 then, l am now a lecturer in a federal poly. please do not give up.

wow.... awesome, happy for you.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by BornAgainMay: 7:48am On Jun 06, 2017
folasayolyn:

since you are in Lagos go online looking for Tutors, there are several services. For 2 tutoring clients 3 times a week 6 days you could make over 70k. the distance may be an issue

How do I search for them?
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by naturalwaves: 8:06am On Jun 06, 2017
Allpropertyfocu:

success has no principles brother...just follow some rules of nature and break some rules as well....its not bad to put God first....just pay attention to what works for u
Okay sir.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Yankiss(m): 8:33am On Jun 06, 2017
Beosten:
I grew up in a town where there were four government primary schools. Note that there was nothing like private schools there in those days. I was a popular pupil then, because I was winning inter-school competitions for my school. I was a class captain throughout, and senior prefect.

I repeated this feat in my secondary school, and became almost a household name in a town of over 50 thousands dwellers. My type should have worked harder to earn good grades in the university, and probably get retained. But I was hustling to fund the education, and consequently shared my time between earning money and lectures. So, handouts and photocopies were my learning aids. I graduated with second class lower.

My fame soared when, during my university days, my school principal invited me to teach finalists Mathematics due to dearth of teachers.

Fast forward to 2017, no job is forthcoming. A brother of mine from a different mother now owns a car and an auto-mechanic shop. He was known as a very poor student because people wondered at such discrepancy in IQ of related brothers.

To keep body and soul together, I'm doing a job that requires me rendering a service from door to door everyday. I make at least 25k in this job monthly compared to 13k these proprietors are offering me--their argument is that B.Tech degree is not suitable for teaching. It's a common knowledge that only the uneducated and street urchins do this kind of job I do now.

Now I rendered the service to a couple who happened to know me back in the days. I couldn't recognize them at first. The wife was a classmate of mine with four children while the husband was a senior student in our high school then. The husband recalled how the then English teacher used me to ridicule the SS3 students to which he belonged. They couldn't pronounce 'colonel' correctly. So, he shopped for me in JS1 and I got it right. Living in a city now, I didn't think of it that I could easily run into my contemporaries.

"Is this not Yemi?" he asked rhetorically. "Didn't you proceed to the higher institution? How come you are doing this kind of job?" he continued.

The wife reminded me of her name, and I recognized her.

If 17k is used for feeding, 2k for consumables monthly, how much will I be able to save to start a decent business? Note that responsibilities like parents and siblings in needs make it difficult to have savings.

Venting one's frustrations on keyboard these days is soothing, so I'll advice you be like me.

My brother, you got it all wrong. This is the result you have when you compare yourself with others. You have it. It is in you to excel. How will you regret going to the university? How will you compare yourself to an illiterate with car and shop? The funny thing is that while you are sleepless, they too are feeling inferior they never got the opportunity to see the four walls of a university. Most of these people can give an arm to have a degree.

Back to starting off slowly. That is the normal thing for those who had spent years in the university. Almost all your counterparts who did not attend a higher institution tend to be miles ahead. But mind you nothing is static. I had a similar case. Two years after graduation with good honours, I was still doing menial teaching jobs. A shop owner in the neighbourhood just called me one day and told me that all my degrees were for nothing. That all my mates were married, had money, etc. Blah Blah. This kind of comment was enough to kill one's spirit. I understood it was a general view and he was the one close enough to convey it. My response? I laughed it off telling him everyone had their day. Well, two years later, I had job. These mates were queuing for assistance. Well, the shop owner was still in the neibourhood.

You have a degree. You can not unhave it. You have to be proud of it. I think you have come to start feeling inferior to others. The classmates you overwhelmed in the past can not stop holding you in awe. It is there. On record and cannot be unrecorded. That they happen to be more comfortable today doesn't change the story. You were still the infant terrible they adored and admired. The case tomorrow despite their seeming better start today is unpredictable. Time and chance happeneth to them all.

Now, your take. Package yourself. Do not lose yourself searching for jobs. Let jobs search for you! Paid employ is overhyped. There are many things you can do to manage an own job and employ people! No salary earner ever earned a place in Forbes list. But for a start, you have to work on your mind and imagination. You have to queue in to the doorstep of greatness. Instead of thinking about 12k and 17k, picture yourself signing cheques worth millions for your employees!. It will at first sound ridiculous to you because of that known human barrier that resists change of that sort. But with time and repetitions, you will come to believe it. When you have come to believe it, the next phase is, how and what can I do to get there? You alone can gauge your potentials. If we discuss privately I can assist you on that score. Once you have mapped out the road, you are there! Gbam. Grab it.

So stop whining and regretting. There is nothing to regret. Your destiny is in your hands! Read the life of great men and you will find a common thread. None had it so easy. The crowning glory was turning stumbling blocks into stepping stones. If the gds want you to fly high, they make the grounds on which you walk too hot!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by yek: 8:39am On Jun 06, 2017
Ecclesiastics 9:11
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by kingsilly(m): 9:55am On Jun 06, 2017
pro2010:

This crap you wrote up there applies only in Nigeria..makei here say the battle is not for the strong, or that the brilliant people are not rich in obodo oyibo.
He was replying the OP, who I think stays in naija sad
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by bcbones: 10:13am On Jun 06, 2017
Running204:
Mehnn leave that tin..... If everyone on NL starts telling u their life story....ur eyes may pop out from their sockets n leave ur mouth agap.....smelling conditions everywhere man....in God we trust we,shall scale through.

brovaly....omo mehn no be small talk ooooooooooo

3 Likes

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Beosten(m): 10:46am On Jun 06, 2017
@Atyem, tensazangetsu20 I saw your mail alert. Please use Janetyler84@mail.com. Thanks.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by baaliyah(m): 11:10am On Jun 06, 2017
You better invest your time wisely in that auto repairs. Trust me, go to auto section of nairaland, and remotely confirm if 'Gazzuz' is not far richer than those people u look up to.
Develop interest, ask questions, and invest the little u have in equipment. In the next two to three years u won't be the same. We Africans go to school mainly for wrong reasons.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Oduok(m): 12:01pm On Jun 06, 2017
OP is pathetic I must say. Someone that didn't catch an opportunity to succeed all through University. Couldn't catch the vision of how to succeed while teaching. Couldn't catch an opportunity to succed while delivering whatever home service he is currently on. Fact is had OP made 2-1 he wouldn't have been able to cope with the rigour of finding a job. In life you strive to succeed against all odd. But people like OP deserve only sympathy and nothing more.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Beosten(m): 1:16pm On Jun 06, 2017
Oduok:
OP is pathetic I must say. Someone that didn't catch an opportunity to succeed all through University. Couldn't catch the vision of how to succeed while teaching. Couldn't catch an opportunity to succed while delivering whatever home service he is currently on. Fact is had OP made 2-1 he wouldn't have been able to cope with the rigour of finding a job. In life you strive to succeed against all odd. But people like OP deserve only sympathy and nothing more.

Clap for yourself!
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by KpagoGIN(m): 1:59pm On Jun 06, 2017
Sebastine1994:
My brother. If you forget everything everybody have said here then dont forget mine. Money is a reward for creating value. Solve a problem for people and money will come. Dont chase money or happiness because it will elude you. Dont just start a business. Bring a solution. Every rich entrepreneur today is a problem solver.what problem are you solving with your knowledge. A real problem.
This has always being my prayer every time I wake in the morning.......Lord let me be the solution to some one's problem

1 Like

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jun 06, 2017
KpagoGIN:

This has always being my prayer every time I wake in the morning.......Lord let me be the solution to some one's problem
brother which problem? This our Nigeria

1 Like

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by twosquare(m): 3:23pm On Jun 06, 2017
doyinbaby:
Brother keep your head up high......I am not active on Facebook again because I don't want to be intimidated or under pressure because of the achievement of others
This got me laughing... Some are real while most are fake.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jun 06, 2017
Hydrolysis:
yea ur testimony looks similar to mine.....brilliant from beginning till graduation but "onwere ka mua si eku ume". I'm a die hard entity and gradually am shooting to lime light. So my brother the Best thing you should do now is to build yourself with diverse knowledge and skills before you know it you'll either start employing people or at least have enough money for yourself.

Nah lie
His story is not like urs tongue
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:03am On Jun 07, 2017
drop your cert, follow the path of money, dance the dance of money! i know you can do it. the same way you were toping your class. pray to God too for luck too. have a mega ego and confidence like Ronaldo. bros walahi some staff/workers/footballers ego and confidence is miles ahead when compared to their presidents/managers/coahes.

The below account is for you, it is my hope that you will gain something from it.
Socrates' Wisdom: Secret to Success

A young man asked Socrates the secret of success. Socrates told the young man to meet him near the river the next morning.

They met the next morning.

Socrates asked the young man to walk with him towards the river.

When the water got up to their neck, Socrates took the young man by surprise and ducked him into the water.

The man struggled to get out but Socrates was strong and kept him there until he started turning blue.

The young man struggled hard and finally managed to get out and the first thing he did was gasp and took a deep breath.

Socrates asked. "What did you want the most when you were under water?" The man replied, "Air".

Socrates said, "That's the secret to success. When you want success as badly as you wanted air, you will get it."

"Bros There is no other secret.

1 Like

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Hydrolysis(m): 12:32pm On Jun 07, 2017
bet9jaguru:

Nah lie
His story is not like urs tongue
bad belle tongue
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by FrankGiel: 10:13am On Jun 10, 2017
Threebear:

Go check out the story of Lincoln and some of the great men. They were late in life, but that didn't stop them from being great. Never let anyone mock you into desperation.
Threebear is giving motivational speech.. grin grin grin
Jesus is coming soon.. I believe
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jul 02, 2017
Brillantman:
I dont know who he's talking about but he is damn serious bro, I know many people like that, I've seen more than a dozen of educationally sound guys that are now into societal perceived odd jobs.. A former coursenate of mine had 2:1, I mean deserved 2:1 not money induce 2:1, the guy is now a driver plying Lagos to eastern cities like Aba , Enugu, Onitsha etc. The last time I saw him I felt for him because his skin has change, his voice hoarse and thick like a typical Agbero, I tried to persuade him to add some "spice" to the way he speaks he replied... " Alaaye, won ma cheat me ni garage yi ti oju mi o bale" ( I will be cheated if I try to look and sound gentle in this garage) In a nutshell, I wept not for him but for this falling nation.
brilliant man please I beg you in the name of whatever abeg contact me asap 07035167128
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by imustsaymymindo: 3:28pm On Jul 20, 2017
oweniwe:

Guy... Principles & knowledge are nothing outside school.

I have a friend with 2.1 in computer science, Masters degree... Knows virtually everything about computers... Lost his job last yr ... Till now has not been able to get another job.

Another friend works with those optic fibre laying companies.... Since January, no contract, no work.

You'll be thinking with all the skills , technical know how & connections, jobs should be pursuing you... But in most cases, it's exactly the opposite.

Even me, if you see my CV, you'll shake. 5 years now, no stable work. I get miffed when I see slow cashier's or dumb customer care officers in banks cos I know I can do the job better.

But who will give me the job?

How will I get the job?

I have applied & done bank trsts many times.... I wonder whether those who pass the tests have two heads.

It is not by knowledge or principles.... Not in Nigeria... Maybe abroad... Everything in this country defies simple logic

This is sad.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by imustsaymymindo: 3:31pm On Jul 20, 2017
Brillantman:
I dont know who he's talking about but he is damn serious bro, I know many people like that, I've seen more than a dozen of educationally sound guys that are now into societal perceived odd jobs.. A former coursenate of mine had 2:1, I mean deserved 2:1 not money induce 2:1, the guy is now a driver plying Lagos to eastern cities like Aba , Enugu, Onitsha etc. The last time I saw him I felt for him because his skin has change, his voice hoarse and thick like a typical Agbero, I tried to persuade him to add some "spice" to the way he speaks he replied... " Alaaye, won ma cheat me ni garage yi ti oju mi o bale" ( I will be cheated if I try to look and sound gentle in this garage) In a nutshell, I wept not for him but for this falling nation.

This is sad.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by imustsaymymindo: 3:36pm On Jul 20, 2017
microlincoln:

I also support you and relate to this. i wont be ashamed to say i fall into this category too. I am an M.Sc graduate in medical microbiology and public health but resolved into teaching biology for psaltry sum of 8k per month after years of searching for job and even been duped a times! may God deliver us in Nigeria.

Another sad story.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by imustsaymymindo: 3:44pm On Jul 20, 2017
doyinbaby:

smiley smiley
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by imustsaymymindo: 3:45pm On Jul 20, 2017
Yankiss:

My brother, you got it all wrong. This is the result you have when you compare yourself with others. You have it. It is in you to excel. How will you regret going to the university? How will you compare yourself to an illiterate with car and shop? The funny thing is that while you are sleepless, they too are feeling inferior they never got the opportunity to see the four walls of a university. Most of these people can give an arm to have a degree.

Back to starting off slowly. That is the normal thing for those who had spent years in the university. Almost all your counterparts who did not attend a higher institution tend to be miles ahead. But mind you nothing is static. I had a similar case. Two years after graduation with good honours, I was still doing menial teaching jobs. A shop owner in the neighbourhood just called me one day and told me that all my degrees were for nothing. That all my mates were married, had money, etc. Blah Blah. This kind of comment was enough to kill one's spirit. I understood it was a general view and he was the one close enough to convey it. My response? I laughed it off telling him everyone had their day. Well, two years later, I had job. These mates were queuing for assistance. Well, the shop owner was still in the neibourhood.

You have a degree. You can not unhave it. You have to be proud of it. I think you have come to start feeling inferior to others. The classmates you overwhelmed in the past can not stop holding you in awe. It is there. On record and cannot be unrecorded. That they happen to be more comfortable today doesn't change the story. You were still the infant terrible they adored and admired. The case tomorrow despite their seeming better start today is unpredictable. Time and chance happeneth to them all.

Now, your take. Package yourself. Do not lose yourself searching for jobs. Let jobs search for you! Paid employ is overhyped. There are many things you can do to manage an own job and employ people! No salary earner ever earned a place in Forbes list. But for a start, you have to work on your mind and imagination. You have to queue in to the doorstep of greatness. Instead of thinking about 12k and 17k, picture yourself signing cheques worth millions for your employees!. It will at first sound ridiculous to you because of that known human barrier that resists change of that sort. But with time and repetitions, you will come to believe it. When you have come to believe it, the next phase is, how and what can I do to get there? You alone can gauge your potentials. If we discuss privately I can assist you on that score. Once you have mapped out the road, you are there! Gbam. Grab it.

So stop whining and regretting. There is nothing to regret. Your destiny is in your hands! Read the life of great men and you will find a common thread. None had it so easy. The crowning glory was turning stumbling blocks into stepping stones. If the gds want you to fly high, they make the grounds on which you walk too hot!

Best comment.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by buffalowings: 5:45pm On Jul 20, 2017
Yankiss:

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by buffalowings: 5:48pm On Jul 20, 2017
doyinbaby:

smiley
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Timblaze(m): 5:51pm On Jul 20, 2017
Running204:
Mehnn leave that tin..... If everyone on NL starts telling u their life story....ur eyes may pop out from their sockets n leave ur mouth agap.....smelling conditions everywhere man....in God we trust we,shall scale through.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Donpizzle(m): 6:46pm On Jul 20, 2017
iyamoliki:
my brother, life goes on with my 2,2 then, l am now a lecturer in a federal poly. please do not give up.

Pls how can I reach you. I need to ask you some very important questions concerning being a lecturer...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Happened When I Went For An Interview At Lekki / Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? / MTN Nigeria 2017 Massive Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.