Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:05 AM

A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . (43276 Views)

Rebuttal To The Thread "Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers?" / Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? / Rebuttal To The Thread Jesus Said I Am (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by felixomor: 10:09am On Jun 07, 2017
PastorAIO:

ooo, I love it when I run into another bit of made up doctrines. Please, what is the basis of this claim?
The bible.

Next. undecided

1 Like

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by felixomor: 10:11am On Jun 07, 2017
PastorAIO:

So God repented from justice.

If u choose to twist it to that, well yes.
Its calle Mercy.

Just like a judge can pardon,
God pardoned them.
He repented from the payment of their evil.
You can twist it to any new sentence u like.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by PastorAIO: 10:49am On Jun 07, 2017
felixomor:

Are u trying to play emotional games after an agreement .
If i seize your house and company after u refused to pay an agreement loan, is it ok?

Answer that question, u will get the answer to ur question.

My house and my property belong to me, they are inanimate possessions, they do not have souls. They are not autonomous entities. two human being however are 2 different autonomous entities. One person should not pay for the crimes of another. I think this is simple, but perhaps not to you.

3 Likes

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by PastorAIO: 10:49am On Jun 07, 2017
felixomor:

The bible.

Next. undecided

Could you please show me where you read that in the bible?
Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by PastorAIO: 10:52am On Jun 07, 2017
felixomor:

If u choose to twist it to that, well yes.
Its calle Mercy.

Just like a judge can pardon,
God pardoned them.
He repented from the payment of their evil.
You can twist it to any new sentence u like.

Mercy is NOT repentance from Justice.

Yahweh repented of the evil he did.

You said the evil he did was justice.

Therefore Yahweh repented of Justice.

Now to repent means to turn back. That means that Justice/evil had already been meted out. So where is the mercy when the evil/justice had already been done.

1 Like

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by felixomor: 10:52am On Jun 07, 2017
PastorAIO:

My house and my property belong to me, they are inanimate possessions, they do not have souls. They are not autonomous entities. two human being however are 2 different autonomous entities. One person should not pay for the crimes of another. I think this is simple, but perhaps not to you.
Well the agreement then was that their children belonged to them.
Read the Laws.
Children are regarded as inheritance during the era of the law.

So your questions clearly arise from ignorance of other parts of the law.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by PastorAIO: 10:58am On Jun 07, 2017
felixomor:

Well the agreement then was that their children belonged to them.
Read the Laws.
Children are regarded as inheritance during the era of the law.

So your questions clearly arise from ignorance of other parts of the law.

Was Ezekiel part of the law?

20"The person who sins will die. The son will not bear the punishment for the father's iniquity, nor will the father bear the punishment for the son's iniquity; the righteousness of the righteous will be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked will be upon himself.

Ezekiel Chapter 18

1 Like

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by felixomor: 11:02am On Jun 07, 2017
PastorAIO:

Mercy is NOT repentance from Justice.
Mercy is what then?
You clearly ignored where I wrote "God is a judge"
And then twisted the sentence to "God repented from Justice".....
Yeah right.

PastorAIO:

Yahweh repented of the evil he did.
Exactly,
Its the work of a judge to repay evil with evil.
Even if we choose to follow it literally, it applies.

PastorAIO:

I said the evil with which he used to repay another evil was justice.
But u chose to twist it.
Or u think I wont notice?

PastorAIO:

Therefore Yahweh repented of Justice.
Fallacy of inconsistent conclusion,
Following the twist u did above shocked

PastorAIO:

Now to repent means to turn back. That means that Justice/evil had already been meted out.

Another fallacy.
Repenting from Justice, can be independent of the past.

PastorAIO:

So where is the mercy when the evil/justice had already been done.

Another fallacy following the twist preceding this sentence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by felixomor: 11:03am On Jun 07, 2017
PastorAIO:

Was Ezekiel part of the law?

20"The person who sins will die. The son will not bear the punishment for the father's iniquity, nor will the father bear the punishment for the son's iniquity; the righteousness of the righteous will be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked will be upon himself.

Ezekiel Chapter 18

Ezekiel, Abraham and Moses, who came first?
In Chronological order.
Please tell us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by PastorAIO: 11:22am On Jun 07, 2017
felixomor:

Mercy is what then?

Mercy is to forgive transgressions.

You clearly ignored where I wrote "God is a judge"
And then twisted the sentence to "God repented from Justice".....
Yeah right.

You said God is a judge, so what? The bible has God saying he repented from evil. You called the evil he did justice. Is the evil God did justice or not? If it is then God repented from justice. If it isn't then you have a case.

Even if we choose to follow it literally, it applies.
Really? shocked I thought Justice was to set things to right. To make things right. My mother used to tell me that 2 wrongs don't make a right. It seems to me that you God has human limitations if the only way he can bring about justice is to use Evil.

quote author=PastorAIO post=57276830]

I said the evil with which he used to repay another evil was justice.
But u chose to twist it.
Or u think I wont notice?

Okay, so God repented from the 'Evil that he used to repay another evil'. God repented from Justice.

Another fallacy.
Repenting from Justice, can be independent of the past.
Can you give us an example of this?

Repent
Please read this and comment:

There are two words for repentance in the Old Testament Hebrew. One word is “nacham” which means “to be sorry” or “to regret” but the overwhelming majority of the time it is used (391 times) it means “turn” or “return” (“shuwb”).
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/christiancrier/2014/05/29/what-is-repentance-bible-definition-of-repent-and-repentance/

3 Likes

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by PastorAIO: 11:26am On Jun 07, 2017
felixomor:

Ezekiel, Abraham and Moses, who came first?
In Chronological order.
Please tell us.

I don't see what this has to do with anything. I asked a simple question because you claimed that in the era of the Laws children must pay for their parents sin like they are property. You have directly and blatantly contradicted the prophet Ezekiel. Ezekiel is considered part of the law. So I asked you a rhetorical question. Is Ezekiel not part of the law?

If Ezekiel is part of the law then you told a plain faced lie on the head of your God.

Chronology has nothing to do with this point.

3 Likes

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by felixomor: 11:30am On Jun 07, 2017
PastorAIO:

I don't see what this has to do with anything. I asked a simple question because you claimed that in the era of the Laws children must pay for their parents sin like they are property. You have directly and blatantly contradicted the prophet Ezekiel. Ezekiel is considered part of the law. So I asked you a rhetorical question. Is Ezekiel not part of the law?

If Ezekiel is part of the law then you told a plain faced lie on the head of your God.

Chronology has nothing to do with this point.

Besides I am just ignoring the part of earlier Mosaic laws that specifies the punishment on children and forthcoming generations.

Let us even Ignore the fact that you are trying to say that Chronology doesnt matter here?

legally speaking, the laws that applied to Nigeria before almagamation, are they the same Nigerian laws today?
Do u know what an amendment is?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by felixomor: 11:48am On Jun 07, 2017
PastorAIO:

Mercy is to forgive transgressions.
And how is it different from what has happened here?
The Children of God Sinned and Moses Pleaded and they were forgiven.
Please how is it different.?

PastorAIO:

You said God is a judge, so what?
Ehen shocked
"So what?" Ok, Good.

PastorAIO:

The bible has God saying he repented from evil. You called the evil he did justice. Is the evil God did justice or not? If it is then God repented from justice. If it isn't then you have a case.

The evil is coming after the people did evil and abomination against God. And that is justice.
But in your argument, the preceding bible verses doesn't matter.
As a matter of fact, chronology doesn't matter at all in your arguments.

PastorAIO:

Really? shocked I thought Justice was to set things to right. To make things right. My mother used to tell me that 2 wrongs don't make a right. It seems to me that you God has human limitations if the only way he can bring about justice is to use Evil.

Please ask your mother if it is right for a judge to sentence somebody to death?
Ask her if it is justice.

PastorAIO:

Okay, so God repented from the 'Evil that he used to repay another evil'. God repented from Justice.
YEs, he repented from meting out justice on his children.

Next undecided

PastorAIO:

Can you give us an example of this?

Jesus Christ Coming to Die for Our Sins, without us asking.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by PastorAIO: 12:05pm On Jun 07, 2017
felixomor:

Besides I am just ignoring the part of earlier Mosaic laws that specifies the punishment on children and forthcoming generations.

Let us even Ignore the fact that you are trying to say that Chronology doesnt matter here?

legally speaking, the laws that applied to Nigeria before almagamation, are they the same Nigerian laws today?
Do u know what an amendment is?

What! Are you suggesting that different part of the Law contradict themselves?

Okay. And so you are resolving the contradictions by saying the later part of the law supercedes the earlier part. Or is it the earlier part that supercedes the later part.

1 Like

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by felixomor: 12:07pm On Jun 07, 2017
PastorAIO:

What! Are you suggesting that different part of the Law contradict themselves?

Okay. And so you are resolving the contradictions by saying the later part of the law supercedes the earlier part. Or is it the earlier part that supercedes the later part.

Are you still trying to imply that chronology doesnt matter in matters the Law?
Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by PastorAIO: 12:11pm On Jun 07, 2017
felixomor:

And how is it different from what has happened here?
The Children of God Sinned and Moses Pleaded and they were forgiven.
Please how is it different.?

The difference is that Evil/Justice was already being meted out.

If ye will still abide in this land, then will I build you, and not pull you down, and I will plant you, and not pluck you up: For I repent of the evil that I have done unto you.
Jeremiah 42:10

1 Like

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by felixomor: 12:12pm On Jun 07, 2017
PastorAIO:

The difference is that Evil/Justice was already being meted out.

If ye will still abide in this land, then will I build you, and not pull you down, and I will plant you, and not pluck you up: For I repent of the evil that I have done unto you.
Jeremiah 42:10

Again, your chronology fails.
Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by PastorAIO: 12:16pm On Jun 07, 2017
felixomor:

Are you still trying to imply that chronology doesnt matter in matters the Law?

Divine Law, we are told, is unchanging.

Matthew 5:17-19
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

1 Like

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by felixomor: 12:21pm On Jun 07, 2017
PastorAIO:

Divine Law, we are told, is unchanging.

Matthew 5:17-19
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

GalatiaNs 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

I hope u see the law Jesus was talking about?
Its the ones that also preceded the verse u just quoted.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by sonofluc1fer: 1:59pm On Jun 07, 2017
grin

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by felixomor: 2:23pm On Jun 07, 2017
sonofluc1fer:
grin

Like sentencing people to death by hanging.
You can say that again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by dalaman: 2:34pm On Jun 07, 2017
sonofluc1fer:
grin

And apologize and repent for doing that. Makes perfect sense. grin
Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by felixomor: 2:40pm On Jun 07, 2017
dalaman:

And apologize and repent for doing that. Makes perfect sense. grin
Where did he apologize?
In the roman bible?

1 Like

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by dalaman: 2:48pm On Jun 07, 2017
felixomor:

Where did he apologize?
In the roman bible?
Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by felixomor: 2:50pm On Jun 07, 2017
dalaman:

Hmm shocked
The apology.
Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by dalaman: 2:54pm On Jun 07, 2017
felixomor:

Hmm shocked
The apology.

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by felixomor: 2:57pm On Jun 07, 2017
dalaman:

Hmmmm.
That face.
Mscheww
Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by dalaman: 2:58pm On Jun 07, 2017
felixomor:

Hmmmm.
That face.
Mscheww

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by jonbellion(m): 5:20pm On Jun 07, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:
[s]Some atheists say that it is petty . Some of them say that it disproves the existence of God . Only if they could just relax and try to understand who God is or what His attributes are ? You may be wondering what this argument is . Its pretty funny . The small-minded atheist cannot fathom why God is so concerned with what humans who dwell in a 'little speck of cosmic dust' do . It only makes God petty and shallow-minded they claim.

I'm gona make this pretty lucid since its not a strong or good argument . So here it is :

God is so meticulous with what goes on in this little speck of cosmic dust because of His attributes . They are :

1. God is omnipresent . Being omnipresent means that God is everywhere at the same time . He is not confined to a temporal location . God is everywhere . He is conscious and observes even the most picayune activity that occurs inside and outside our universe . God knows what is going on in Jupiter , in Saturn , in the Andromeda galaxy , in the ring galaxy , tadpole or whirlpool galaxy because of His omnipresence. He has knowledge of the behaviors of even the tiniest molecules in the farthest galaxies .

2. God is omnipotent . God is powerful enough to do anything logically possible in accordance to His nature . And paying so close attention to how we live our lives is one of the millions of logically possible ways He proves his omnipotence .

3. God is the pinnacle of moral perfection : God is good . God is the source of moral goodness . And since God is good , evil which is the departure from good is despised by Him .

4. God has the Freedom of Will . Yes , God can will anything and it will be so . And since this epitome of moral goodness , the omnipotent and omnipresent God has decided to be so punctilious about the morality of humans who live in this little speck of cosmic dust - our abode , earth - then who are we whom He created to describe it as 'petty' and 'shallow-minded' ?

So there you have it folks . It is not petty or shallow-minded for God to be so meticulous about what we do with our lives even to the most insignificant things we do . God's aforementioned attributes make it possible for such to be so . That's His nature . Those attributes are simply identical to his being and there's nothing you can do about it . Wailing and complaining won't stop God from being God [/s].

2 Likes

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by jonbellion(m): 7:20pm On Jun 07, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:
Some atheists say that it is petty . Some of them say that it disproves the existence of God . Only if they could just relax and try to understand who God is or what His attributes are ? You may be wondering what this argument is . Its pretty funny . The small-minded atheist cannot fathom why God is so concerned with what humans who dwell in a 'little speck of cosmic dust' do . It only makes God petty and shallow-minded they claim.

I'm gona make this pretty lucid since its not a strong or good argument . So here it is :

God is so meticulous with what goes on in this little speck of cosmic dust because of His attributes . They are :

1. God is omnipresent . Being omnipresent means that God is everywhere at the same time . He is not confined to a temporal location . God is everywhere . He is conscious and observes even the most picayune activity that occurs inside and outside our universe . God knows what is going on in Jupiter , in Saturn , in the Andromeda galaxy , in the ring galaxy , tadpole or whirlpool galaxy because of His omnipresence. He has knowledge of the behaviors of even the tiniest molecules in the farthest galaxies .

2. God is omnipotent . God is powerful enough to do anything logically possible in accordance to His nature . And paying so close attention to how we live our lives is one of the millions of logically possible ways He proves his omnipotence .

3. God is the pinnacle of moral perfection : God is good . God is the source of moral goodness . And since God is good , evil which is the departure from good is despised by Him .

4. God has the Freedom of Will . Yes , God can will anything and it will be so . And since this epitome of moral goodness , the omnipotent and omnipresent God has decided to be so punctilious about the morality of humans who live in this little speck of cosmic dust - our abode , earth - then who are we whom He created to describe it as 'petty' and 'shallow-minded' ?

So there you have it folks . It is not petty or shallow-minded for God to be so meticulous about what we do with our lives even to the most insignificant things we do . God's aforementioned attributes make it possible for such to be so . That's His nature . Those attributes are simply identical to his being and there's nothing you can do about it . Wailing and complaining won't stop God from being God .
you know I didn't even read this before because I knew it would be trash but now that I went through it there is now one thing I must do............

Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by jonbellion(m): 7:22pm On Jun 07, 2017
randomperson:
One question about morality

Does God prohibit killing because it's bad or is killing bad because God prohibited it?

If it's the former, it means there is a higher reason or morality than God.

If it's the latter, it means God acts without reason or purpose i.e. insanity
I say this a lot but in a different way
Re: A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . by jonbellion(m): 7:24pm On Jun 07, 2017
JackBizzle:
When will Felixomor have sense?

He loses the argument then shifts the goalposts. Ogbeni where is the agreement?

he wont have for all eternity I suppose
Na him believe in eternity na cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply)

Bishop Oyedepo: 'What Will Happen If Nigeria Becomes An Islamic Nation' / Daddy Freeze Reacts To Born Again Lady Using Knife To Cut Her Tattooed Hand / Christmas Food: Muslim Lady Blocked On Facebook Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.