Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,793 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:32 AM

Can A Reference From Nairaland Be Used For Commercial Purposes? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can A Reference From Nairaland Be Used For Commercial Purposes? (846 Views)

Scam Alert (Not From Nairaland) / How To Make LIQUID SOAP (used For Washing Dishes, Cars, Clothes, Windows Etc.)? / Recharge Card Printing Job Scams Rampant On Nairaland - Be Vigilant! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Reference From Nairaland Be Used For Commercial Purposes? by stormm: 4:53pm On Jan 19, 2010
there was this ad in Sunday Punch 17th Jan 2010, that used a pix lifted from Nairaland. It has to do with the Black Heritage Festival holding in Lagos. The pix used in the ad was lifted from Nairaland. The problem is the issue of copyright. For commercial purposes, such usage rights must be gotten from both the photographer and the copyright owner. This is not just by acknowlegding authorship. Our newspapers are in the forefront of campaign against piracy, methinks they should not encourage same.

It just cannot be justified.
Re: Can A Reference From Nairaland Be Used For Commercial Purposes? by franko2: 6:31pm On Jan 22, 2010
I thnik it depends on what VESTED interest you have saying what you have just said!

Your use of words, has not come out clear to say who you are, and why you are making the complaint? or the observation (depends, ).  In the event it is your own direct copyright material, then i guess you're well within your rights to escalate the issue beyond mere rhetoric. Otherwise, na wa, very difficult to know what to say beyond that. Abi?

Declare your (peculiar) interest?
Re: Can A Reference From Nairaland Be Used For Commercial Purposes? by Kafin(m): 12:02am On Feb 01, 2010
On a serious note, it will be helpful if we know who holds the IP right to the contents on Nairaland.

It is obviously not the poster unless s/he specifically marks the posting as such, and I can remember having seen any. The last line on the site say "© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.", does this refer to the contents, and will it over-right the copy-wright of a poster if s/he wishes to have one?

Seun/Moderators should please let us know.
Re: Can A Reference From Nairaland Be Used For Commercial Purposes? by Ajaerotony(m): 12:55am On Feb 03, 2010
I think that question is left for Seun to answer.
Thanks

Re: Can A Reference From Nairaland Be Used For Commercial Purposes? by Fhemmmy: 3:17am On Feb 03, 2010
If the person is known more than on the web, and credible enuf, sure
Re: Can A Reference From Nairaland Be Used For Commercial Purposes? by Nobody: 11:57am On Feb 10, 2010
Poster is right.
Re: Can A Reference From Nairaland Be Used For Commercial Purposes? by hamziwhiz(m): 2:42am On Feb 13, 2010
I dont think it is right o!
Re: Can A Reference From Nairaland Be Used For Commercial Purposes? by adconline(m): 11:24am On Feb 13, 2010
I dont think that fair use act requires so much paperwork?
Re: Can A Reference From Nairaland Be Used For Commercial Purposes? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Feb 19, 2010
how do you know the picture was lifted from nairaland?
Re: Can A Reference From Nairaland Be Used For Commercial Purposes? by chessguru(m): 10:18am On Feb 21, 2010
Kafin:

On a serious note, it will be helpful if we know who holds the IP right to the contents on Nairaland.

It is obviously not the poster unless s/he specifically marks the posting as such, and I can remember having seen any. The last line on the site say "© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.", does this refer to the contents, and will it over-right the copy-wright of a poster if s/he wishes to have one?

Seun/Moderators should please let us know.
That has nothing to do with the content of the site. the copyright has nothing to do with what you post unless expressly stated in that direction
Re: Can A Reference From Nairaland Be Used For Commercial Purposes? by stormm: 7:55pm On Feb 27, 2010
tpia.:

how do you know the picture was lifted from nairaland?

It was acknowledged.

(1) (Reply)

Fraud Alert: B-e-w-a-r-e / I Have $1,045 Paypal And Want To Exchange It For Lr Or Cash / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.