Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,043 members, 7,799,527 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:00 AM

Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin (8526 Views)

Oduduwa Was Not Igbo Prince – Oluwo Of Iwo / Silekunola Naomi Ogunwusi Biography, Age, Ooni Of Ife Prophetess Wife / Ooni Ogunwusi Described As Re-incarnate Of Oduduwa (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by amor4ce(m): 7:14am On Jun 06, 2017
It is incontrovertible knowledge that Oduduwa is also l known as Olofin Otete and bore the title Olofin while ruling at Ile-Ife. Sadly, some awos preach that there's a divinity called Olofin who is distinct from Oduduwa. Why? Even more saddsning is the insistence by the historians from his palace grounds that he was the first Ooni whereas Obalufon the spokesperson of Obatala and Oduduwa is the Ooni whose spirit is borne bu subsequent occupants of his throne. Oduduwa could not, given his niche and status, could not have borne the appellation of another divinity, almost all of whom he outranks. Why have these historians been misinforming us as if they are omo ale (bastaards)?

2 Likes

Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by etzskillz(m): 7:17am On Jun 06, 2017
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by unitysheart(m): 10:24am On Jun 06, 2017
wetin concern me?
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by absoluteSuccess: 2:55pm On Jun 06, 2017
amor4ce:
It is incontrovertible knowledge that Oduduwa is also l known as Olofin Otete and bore the title Olofin while ruling at Ile-Ife. Sadly, some awos preach that there's a divinity called Olofin who is distinct from Oduduwa. Why? Even more saddsning is the insistence by the historians from his palace grounds that he was the first Ooni whereas Obalufon the spokesperson of Obatala and Oduduwa is the Ooni whose spirit is borne bu subsequent occupants of his throne. Oduduwa could not, given his niche and status, could not have borne the appellation of another divinity, almost all of whom he outranks. Why have these historians been misinforming us as if they are omo ale (bastaards)?

Thanks for this bro.

Oduduwa is olofin, and olofin is from iseri. Olofin simply means 'the law twister', which is what 'ateworo' is trying to say: a te ewo ro, a lo ofin.

Ofin, ewo or agbedo is like a penal code of the ancient Yoruba, ewo is the singular form while agbedo is plural. 'Ewo' is like 'thou shall (not)' while 'agbedo' is 'we must (not)'. 'Iwokogbodo' is the root of both words.

Ewo is old Yoruba for Iwo, which also means forbidden or disallowed: just as 'agbedo' is 'a ko gbudo'

Ateworo is the same as ajegbodo (one who breaks the don'ts), one who breaks the taboo, one who undermines the penal code. That's what made Oduduwa ateworo or olofin. She broke penal code of her homeland.

Oduduwa is also Ooni, one in 'possession of the', just as Ooni is like owning in english. Oduduwa was in possessionof the land she purchased from the explorers and discoverers of Yorubaland.

Olofin was a title derived from the early life of the icon when she was on trial, Ooni was later as a rich and succesful empire builder. Oduduwa in ile-Ife was Ooni Oluwo, the female Ooni.

The male version came with the 19th century myth of origin.

1 Like

Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jun 06, 2017
Distinguish Oduduwa, the founder of the Yoruba race and order from Obatala, the Oba Igbo, the Osere Igbo. Obatala was the Igbo king who Oduduwa fought with and dislodged fron Ife. Obatala and Oduduwa later reconciled with Oduduwa inviting him to help rule Ile Ife under the New Yoruba Order.

What was Obatala's new title when he accepted Oduduwa's invitation?
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by Olu317(m): 7:28pm On Jun 06, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

Thanks for this bro.

Oduduwa is olofin, and olofin is from iseri. Olofin simply means 'the law twister', which is what 'ateworo' is trying to say: a te ewo ro, a lo ofin.

Ofin, ewo or agbedo is like a penal code of the ancient Yoruba, ewo is the singular form while agbedo is plural. 'Ewo' is like 'thou shall (not)' while 'agbedo' is 'we must (not)'. 'Iwokogbodo' is the root of both words.

Ewo is old Yoruba for Iwo, which also means forbidden or disallowed: just as 'agbedo' is 'a ko gbudo'

Ateworo is the same as ajegbodo (one who breaks the don'ts), one who breaks the taboo, one who undermines the penal code. That's what made Oduduwa ateworo or olofin. She broke penal code of her homeland.

Oduduwa is also Ooni, one in 'possession of the', just as Ooni is like owning in english. Oduduwa was in possessionof the land she purchased from the explorers and discoverers of Yorubaland.

Olofin was a title derived from the early life of the icon when she was on trial, Ooni was later as a rich and succesful empire builder. Oduduwa in ile-Ife was Ooni Oluwo, the female Ooni.

The male version came with the 19th century myth of origin.
My dear brother, I can see the hardened believe of yours about Olofin(Olufin)Adimula's identity as a woman. This is disheartening to me because of the unnecessary secrecy that many of Odu'a past generations and other priests have done which is giving many people of today's historians or scholars sleepless nights about the humble Adimula. I mentioned humble because he didn't kill Obatala. That showed the depth in which his wisdom rests. No one ever take control over other parts and don't kill his perceived enemies unless he or she is a divinely chosen personified. No part of Yoruba history have ever identify where Obatala Ancestors came from nor Adimula. Yet there are Archeology finding that showed exactly the Supreme power associated with them and ancestors . And the animals associated with them. Have you taken your time to verify these animals and their connection to these two people's ancestors? If you claim Adimula was a woman, how was she so smart enough to overpower Obatala? How come she created IMOLE CULT? Érujeje was part of what he was called. How can a female be called such? I guess you know what that name means. You can break the name's code by understanding the intricacies of sacrifices being done in the ancient times at ULEUFE (ILE IFE). I wouldn't have commented on here if not because of you bro . Bro Olumide Lucas didn't know much as this, that's the reason he blundered like Rev Samuel Johnson, that claimed Ooni was a contraction of Omo oluwo ni. I mock today's scholars trying to use such as part of their points.

All these below testify to that fact that there were two men; One was from a priestly lineage. And the other was from both priestly and Kingly lineage
Animals associated with with Obatala ancestors
Animals associated with Odua
Supreme deity associated with Odua

Adimula was never a woman. ODEDÈ, (popularly called Oranmiyan) was a grandson of the man.

Cheers

Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by absoluteSuccess: 10:52pm On Jun 06, 2017
Olu317:
My dear brother, I can see the hardened believe of yours about Olofin(Olufin)Adimula's identity as a woman. This is disheartening to me because of the unnecessary secrecy that many of Odu'a past generations and other priests have done which is giving many people of today's historians or scholars sleepless nights about the humble Adimula. I mentioned humble because he didn't kill Obatala. That showed the depth in which his wisdom rests. No one ever take control over other parts and don't kill his perceived enemies unless he or she is a divinely chosen personified. No part of Yoruba history have ever identify where Obatala Ancestors came from nor Adimula. Yet there are Archeology finding that showed exactly the Supreme power associated with them and ancestors . And the animals associated with them. Have you taken your time to verify these animals and their connection to these two people's ancestors? If you claim Adimula was a woman, how was she so smart enough to overpower Obatala? How come she created IMOLE CULT? Érujeje was part of what he was called. How can a female be called such? I guess you know what that name means. You can break the name's code by understanding the intricacies of sacrifices being done in the ancient times at ULEUFE (ILE IFE). I wouldn't have commented on here if not because of you bro . Bro Olumide Lucas didn't know much as this, that's the reason he blundered like Rev Samuel Johnson, that claimed Ooni was a contraction of Omo oluwo ni. I mock today's scholars trying to use such as part of their points.

All these below testify to that fact that there were two men; One was from a priestly lineage. And the other was from both priestly and Kingly lineage
Animals associated with with Obatala ancestors
Animals associated with Odua
Supreme deity associated with Odua

Adimula was never a woman. ODEDÈ, (popularly called Oranmiyan) was a grandson of the man.

Cheers

My good bro, let everyone be a lier, but let teadition be trutful. I am not subservient to Ife tradition as an Aworiman.

But in the light of the leadership of Yoruba race, whoever reign supreme can be the leader.

But truth should not be subjected to any form of constraints. Yours may be the truth and mine, lies, let the truth make itself known.

What is true to you may not be true to me because we have different source for our stories. It is at Ado that Olofin is the royal title.

Must I still go to Ile Ife to learn how this come to be? So, we are expected to have no voice other than follow the dictates of men who come first?

Who stamp some as first or better informed than others? I subcribe to my homeland tradition. I am a man from owun olowonrin: it is the ancestors that has given me my perspectives.

We are not slaves, we have our own historical perspectives. At Ado Odo, Alaje is the representative of Oduduwa, Alaje is a female leader and the costodian of Oduduwa temple.

Every sitting Olofin always had his hair plaited as though a woman. I have this as irrefutable truth.
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by Olu317(m): 8:39am On Jun 07, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

My good bro, let everyone be a lier, but let teadition be trutful. I am not subservient to Ife tradition as an Aworiman.

But in the light of the leadership of Yoruba race, whoever reign supreme can be the leader.

But truth should not be subjected to any form of constraints. Yours may be the truth and mine, lies, let the truth make itself known.

What is true to you may not be true to me because we have different source for our stories. It is at Ado that Olofin is the royal title.

Must I still go to Ile Ife to learn how this come to be? So, we are expected to have no voice other than follow the dictates of men who come first?

Who stamp some as first or better informed than others? I subcribe to my homeland tradition. I am a man from owun olowonrin: it is the ancestors that has given me my perspectives.

We are not slaves, we have our own historical perspectives. At Ado Odo, Alaje is the representative of Oduduwa, Alaje is a female leader and the costodian of Oduduwa temple.

Every sitting Olofin always had his hair plaited as though a woman. I have this as irrefutable truth.
Let me agree tacitly that your ancestors gave you this perspective, which you accept as the truth. But there are germane questions that are begging to be answered by you in my previous post. On your take on the panegyric of Odu'a as Ate woro, I strongly believe it is shrouded with Adimula prowess and majestic walking . The interpretation of yours is quite unclear to me. Alaje is different from the Odu'a as a priest and king. If you claim the so called Odu'a was a Woman, Who was her husband? Why is it that his lineage give credence more to the patrilineal as Supreme heir to his throne. I raised some questions, kindly do research on them as regard the animal, that's specifically IDENTIFIED WITH HIM or “HER"—as you have claimed . What is Ado Odo's ORIKI? ADIMULA and his co warriors descended from the part of the hill top they were settled and waged war against Obatala's squad because of what? . Did the female Odu'a commanded men to fight for her in battle while she lead them? Explain that part to me. Again, Who was the father of ODÈDÈ (Oranmiyan) ? The hidden truth shall be made manifest. I pray almighty Eledumare will unravel the mystery to those who don't know him through research. Let us start with the panegyric of the female version that you have as from Ado Odo. What is the female Odu'a panegyric? . Between Ado Odo and Ado in Ekiti, which of it was the spot at which SETILU lived? I ask you this question to know which of the two Ados is the older.

Cheers bro.
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by absoluteSuccess: 8:48am On Jun 08, 2017
I we nor tok.

1 Like

Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by Olu317(m): 11:28am On Jun 08, 2017
absoluteSuccess:
I we nor tok.
wink
absoluteSuccess:
I we nor tok.
LEGENDARY

A HUMBLE DESCENDANT OF ADIMULA(ODUA) I AM!

Cheers bro .
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by absoluteSuccess: 11:38am On Jun 09, 2017
Olu317:
Let me agree tacitly that your ancestors gave you this perspective, which you accept as the truth. But there are germane questions that are begging to be answered by you in my previous post. On your take on the panegyric of Odu'a as Ate woro, I strongly believe it is shrouded with Adimula prowess and majestic walking

No, it has to do with historical event in the life of Oduduwa. Again, it is from here that the myth claiming Oduduwa came down with a chain emanated, and the reason I don't believe that line of story attached to it because if you go back to the mantra misinterpreted, you see things differently.

Another good example of what I'm saying is the notion that Oduduwa fathered ake and owu, when in actual sense both words means the same thing: ara ake majo; ara owu asunkungbade. It is the responsibility of a researcher to point this duplications out where necessary, and not take all in, hook line and sinker. .

The interpretation of yours is quite unclear to me. Alaje is different from the Odu'a as a priest and king. If you claim the so called Odu'a was a Woman, Who was her husband? Why is it that his lineage give credence more to the patrilineal as Supreme heir to his throne.

In Yoruba, tradition comes from somewhere, maybe a community or a fixed oral text and not from any other source. We all belong to a community, and fixed oral text relevant to the topic are already stated or does not exist. Another worthy book is communal traditions re-evaluated.

My community was the source from which the first idea on Oduduwa got to print: in the Yoruba dictionary compiled by Crowther, he interpreted Oduduwa as 'Creator, maker of righteousness' based on what he picked up at Oduduwa temple at Ado Odo back then.

But other Yoruba succeeded with the term as being the name of the patriarch of Yoruba who founded Oyo and Ife later on, this other tradition project Oduduwa as a conqueror and thus the need for a male figure. Yet another original tradition established Oduduwa as the wife of Obatala: I think this has been operated on by pro-Ife scholars who must upgrade traditions from what it is to what it suppose to be.

Now the Oduduwa that registers in peoples mind is the one modern historians have created: the one who fought Obatala that ought to be her husband, if tradition is anything to go by.

Obatala is the husband to Oduduwa. I think Ado is in-sync with tradition whereby, a female heads the Oduduwa institution as it was at the onset of the time of the icon. Oduduwa is known by many names: as Alaje, meaning 'one who is wealthy' or the rich. You can cross check ajes connection with obatala.

I raised some questions, kindly do research on them as regard the animal, that's specifically IDENTIFIED WITH HIM or “HER"—as you have claimed . What is Ado Odo's ORIKI?

Ado's oriki is Alado-moro: meaning Ado understand sinister schemes.

ADIMULA and his co warriors descended from the part of the hill top they were settled and waged war against Obatala's squad because of what? . Did the female Odu'a commanded men to fight for her in battle while she lead them?

This is a false projection, earliest tradition established Oduduwa as the wife of Obatala, I follow pristine tradition, not the funky tradition of men my bro: we have many fighters, but Oduduwa stood for peace.

Explain that part to me. Again, Who was the father of ODÈDÈ (Oranmiyan) ?

I don't have to border about Oyo tradition to find relevance for my ancestry, we are the scions of Olofin, and Osolo whose men established a homeland at the coast at the arrival of the Yoruba merchant navy at the west coast.

The hidden truth shall be made manifest. I pray almighty Eledumare will unravel the mystery to those who don't know him through research. Let us start with the panegyric of the female version that you have as from Ado Odo. What is the female Odu'a panegyric?

Between Ado Odo and Ado in Ekiti, which of it was the spot at which SETILU lived?

I don't believe Shetilu featured in Yoruba history: we have the same form of divinition with the middle eastern prototype: that does not mean Shetilu was part of our history, rather, Ose is prophetic: perhaps something close to Setilu.

Ado is the ancestor of both places and the identity of Ado is their common heritage.I ask you this question to know

which of the two Ados is the older.

Cheers bro.

Both were ancient towns tracing back to the same ancestor with time-bartered tradition.

Welcome.
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by amor4ce(m): 7:36pm On Jun 09, 2017
The alleged union between Obatala and Oduduwa that allegedly spawned Aganju was actually between Obatala and Ilẹ. Some mischief-makers "ya" (perverted) the story for their selfish aims. Many similarly perverted stories are recited and believed hook, line and sinker by Ifa priests and priesteses and Olorishas. Another example is the story that Obatala transformed into a woman to seduce Aganju whereas an Iyami was did it.

As for the first Ooni, let us consider the attached picture taken from the 1921 book "Myths of Ife" by John Wyndham. The author's sources were the then Ooni and also his Araba. If Oduduwa had departed before the enthronement of Odum'la (Adimula) as the first Ooni, how then can historians today assert that the former was the first Ooni? What was Oduduwa's regal title before he departed, before the enthronement of Adimula?

If they can pervert the list of rulers in Ife, isn't it possible that they've been perverting other oral account as fact. Thus, aren't they responsible for the confsion over our history amd perhaps benefitting from the resulting chaos?

Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by Olu317(m): 8:51pm On Jun 09, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

No, it has to do with historical event in the life of Oduduwa. Again, it is from here that the myth claiming Oduduwa came down with a chain emanated, and the reason I don't believe that line of story attached to it because if you go back to the mantra misinterpreted, you see things differently.

Another good example of what I'm saying is the notion that Oduduwa fathered ake and owu, when in actual sense both words means the same thing: ara ake majo; ara owu asunkungbade. It is the responsibility of a researcher to point this duplications out where necessary, and not take all in, hook line and sinker. .

In Yoruba, tradition comes from somewhere, maybe a community or a fixed oral text and not from any other source. We all belong to a community, and fixed oral text relevant to the topic are already stated or does not exist. Another worthy book is communal traditions re-evaluated.

My community was the source from which the first idea on Oduduwa got to print: in the Yoruba dictionary compiled by Crowther, he interpreted Oduduwa as 'Creator, maker of righteousness' based on what he picked up at Oduduwa temple at Ado Odo back then.

But other Yoruba succeeded with the term as being the name of the patriarch of Yoruba who founded Oyo and Ife later on, this other tradition project Oduduwa as a conqueror and thus the need for a male figure. Yet another original tradition established Oduduwa as the wife of Obatala: I think this has been operated on by pro-Ife scholars who must upgrade traditions from what it is to what it suppose to be.

Now the Oduduwa that registers in peoples mind is the one modern historians have created: the one who fought Obatala that ought to be her husband, if tradition is anything to go by.

Obatala is the husband to Oduduwa. I think Ado is in-sync with tradition whereby, a female heads the Oduduwa institution as it was at the onset of the time of the icon. Oduduwa is known by many names: as Alaje, meaning 'one who is wealthy' or the rich. You can cross check ajes connection with obatala.

Ado's oriki is Alado-moro: meaning Ado understand sinister schemes.

This is a false projection, earliest tradition established Oduduwa as the wife of Obatala, I follow pristine tradition, not the funky tradition of men my bro: we have many fighters, but Oduduwa stood for peace.

I don't have to border about Oyo tradition to find relevance for my ancestry, we are the scions of Olofin, and Osolo whose men established a homeland at the coast at the arrival of the Yoruba merchant navy at the west coast.

I don't believe Shetilu featured in Yoruba history: we have the same form of divinition with the middle eastern prototype: that does not mean Shetilu was part of our history, rather, Ose is prophetic: perhaps something close to Setilu.

Ado is the ancestor of both places and the identity of Ado is their common heritage.I ask you this question to know

Both were ancient towns tracing back to the same ancestor with time-bartered tradition.

Welcome.
Adimula (Odu'a) descended from hill. It is not a myth at all or misinterpretation because my Oriki speaks of it. It goes thus; Omo Oke ru ULE (ILE). This is the original Identified panegyric OLUUSI left with after he moved out of ILE IFE . OLUUSI was a great warrior prince and After sometime, his son LAADE went back and forth and have sons. Up till eternity we are part of the RULING HOUSE IN ULE IFE. The oriki was only IDENTIFY WITH ODUA And Oranmiyan used it because when he came back to ILE IFE,he married wives within the lineage of ILE IFE, which basically meant Royal blood. I hope that answer your question on the descending stuff. Then Owu and Ake are the same brothers. Ake/Abeokuta was formed in the 1830s upwards.

How can you claim what was written by Samuel Ajayi Crowther as the authentic when there are other facts that counter it. Odu'a merged the group together. It was earlier education that made this distortion look so real. If you see someone like me on the road, you cannot know or imagine this identity of mine because we don't even call ourselves princes. Despite the identity. If you claim Odu'a was a Woman, how come the cult I mentioned earlier was created? There is no part of Ado that is older than ILE IFE based on radiocarbon. If olofin Adimula was a woman, why wouldn't I have knowledge of it ? I can inform you that it is not in Yorubas lineage to place a woman ahead of men. The highest a woman has always been is regent. Ado is known as the house of IfA. And the Odu'a lineage always have IFA priest to accost them. They are never IFA priest.

weekend wishes.
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by erosimo(m): 2:02am On Jun 10, 2017
Olu317:
Adimula (Odu'a) descended from hill. It is not a myth at all or misinterpretation because my Oriki speaks of it. It goes thus; Omo Oke ru ULE (ILE). This is the original Identified panegyric OLUUSI left with after he moved out of ILE IFE . OLUUSI was a great warrior prince and After sometime, his son LAADE went back and forth and have sons. Up till eternity we are part of the RULING HOUSE IN ULE IFE. The oriki was only IDENTIFY WITH ODUA and Oranmiyan used it because when he came back to ILE IFE,he married wives within the lineage of ILE IFE, which basically meant Royal blood. I hope that answer your question on the descending stuff. Then Owu and Ake are the same brothers. Ake/Abeokuta was formed in the 1840s upwards.

How can you claim what was written by Samuel Ajayi Crowther as the authentic when there are other facts that counter it. Odu'a merged the group together. It was earlier education that made this distortion look so real. If you see someone like me on the road, you cannot know or imagine this identity of mine because we don't even call ourselves princes. Despite the identity. If you claim Odu'a was a Woman, how come the cult I mentioned earlier was created? There is no part of Ado that is older than ILE IFE based on radiocarbon. If olofin Adimula was a woman, why wouldn't I have knowledge of it ? I can inform you that it is not in Yorubas lineage to place a woman ahead of men. The highest a woman has always been is regent. Ado is known as the house of IfA. And the Odu'a lineage always have IFA priest to accost them. They are never IFA priest.

weekend wishes.

But bros, a woman had ruled in Ile-Ife as ooni what about that. Pls can you clarify that
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by Olu317(m): 6:24am On Jun 10, 2017
erosimo:

But bros, a woman had ruled in Ile-Ife as ooni what about that. Pls can you clarify that
The reason many things are speculated in Yoruba land is the nonchalant of many of our ancestors because they hid these that are naturally needed to be shown to the world. All in the name of certain tradition that was shut to the larger world,which shouldn't because the whole world is related in one way or the other. Besides, nothing done at ILE IFE that was not done elsewhere in some ancient cities that had the highest development. This is the bitter truth. And a lady ruled truthfully as a REGENT and she was known as LUWO GBAGIDA. This is always the norm in Yoruba tradition i.e if there is no male child, or the male child(ren) have all sojourned and IFA is consulted, the chosen female amongst the daughters of the former king becomes a regent until the right son returned. IFA was the determinant in those years. This particular female OONI (regent) married within one of the houses of the other royal kings within ULE IFE and one of the well pronounced DESCENDANTS is OLU-IWO. It was so unfortunate that some books that written by these so called past authors particularly of Yoruba descent blundered and I laughed because they wrote our story from the perspective of assumption and presumption. This is because, Samuel Johnson's had no knowledge ILE IFE, which was the reason he mentioned one FAKE “OMO OLUWO NI", meaning OONI. The tradition at ILE IFE has record of it. The whole descendant princes lineage of Olufin Adimuela were the rightful to the throne. However, a particular OONI called LAJAMISAN had the ruling house from his direct descendant until infinity . And this was perhaps because that's how GOD want it.

3 Likes

Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by absoluteSuccess: 1:37pm On Jun 10, 2017
Olu317:
Adimula (Odu'a) descended from hill. It is not a myth at all or misinterpretation because my Oriki speaks of it. It goes thus; Omo Oke ru ULE (ILE). This is the original Identified panegyric OLUUSI left with after he moved out of ILE IFE . OLUUSI was a great warrior prince and After sometime, his son LAADE went back and forth and have sons. Up till eternity we are part of the RULING HOUSE IN ULE IFE. The oriki was only IDENTIFY WITH ODUA and Oranmiyan used it because when he came back to ILE IFE,he married wives within the lineage of ILE IFE, which basically meant Royal blood. I hope that answer your question on the descending stuff. Then Owu and Ake are the same brothers. Ake/Abeokuta was formed in the 1840s upwards.

Good effort: no one can deny your history when you are conscious, informed and familiar with it.

weekend wishes.

You didn't get my drift: what I mean is that Crowther was the first person to pluck the name Oduduwa from Yoruba phylum of names and attempted to tell us what it mean based on what he was told at Ado. He had given the idea 'odu to da iwa' a thought to come by that definition.

Odu to da iwa simply means 'the precept that establish existence' hence the Yoruba are often said to be omo odu to da iwa. Also, Odu signify greatness: odu ayo, odu oya.

I mean that Oduduwa has not been identified properly back then, even the opposers of Awo favoured Olofin as Yoruba ancestor to shade Awolowo's egbe omo Oduduwa, where the name emerged in politics. Yet both names are one. Do we say our knowledge is more than theirs?

Oduduwa is the same as Odu, and thus we have the oriki of Odu as 'Odu eleyinju ege' meaning 'odu, one with a delicate look' or Odu, the pleasant to behold. The ijebu do felt they don't have any portion in oduduwa, meanwhile, unknown to them, they favoured the short form of it, i.e, odu.

One of the ancient Yoruba place name with 'odu' is ikorodu, where the city alludes to a founder known as odunwo, meaning, pleasant to behold. That description definitly alludes to beauty. I know we need fighter-ancestors, but we are not descendants of neandatals, our ancestors are very civilized.

Civilized people can allow the leadership of either sex, and can equally appreciate the beauty of a woman who has proven to be a beauty blessed with wisdom. Yewa also ascribe to oduduwa. Ewa, which is the 'wa' in Oduduwa is symbol of beauty, where odu is great, du, black, wa, beauty.

Yewa Oduduwa was a great thinker, and a scholar, she and Ifa were contemporaries, ifa is the leader of the youth wing of the explorers, while Oduduwa was the leader of the elders. Both were educated people, Oduduwa schooled Ifa, who schooled his disciples.

The collaboration between these two great scholars gave Yorubas Odu-Ifa: although we have other mystery-explanations. But if you take the aura of gods and goblins out of it, you might see things a bit clearer.

From Ado, we'll say that our own oduduwa is the wealthy legend, the great black beauty.
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by Olu317(m): 9:06pm On Jun 10, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

Good effort: no one can deny your history when you are conscious, informed and familiar with it.

You didn't get my drift: what I mean is that Crowther was the first person to pluck the name Oduduwa from Yoruba phylum of names and attempted to tell us what it mean based on what he was told at Ado. He had given the idea 'odu to da iwa' a thought to come by that definition.

Odu to da iwa simply means 'the precept that establish existence' hence the Yoruba are often said to be omo odu to da iwa. Also, Odu signify greatness: odu ayo, odu oya.

I mean that Oduduwa has not been identified properly back then, even the opposers of Awo favoured Olofin as Yoruba ancestor to shade Awolowo's egbe omo Oduduwa, where the name emerged in politics. Yet both names are one. Do we say our knowledge is more than theirs?

Oduduwa is the same as Odu, and thus we have the oriki of Odu as 'Odu eleyinju ege' meaning 'odu, one with a delicate look' or Odu, the pleasant to behold. The ijebu do felt they don't have any portion in oduduwa, meanwhile, unknown to them, they favoured the short form of it, i.e, odu.

One of the ancient Yoruba place name with 'odu' is ikorodu, where the city alludes to a founder known as odunwo, meaning, pleasant to behold. That description definitly alludes to beauty. I know we need fighter-ancestors, but we are not descendants of neandatals, our ancestors are very civilized.

Civilized people can allow the leadership of either sex, and can equally appreciate the beauty of a woman who has proven to be a beauty blessed with wisdom. Yewa also ascribe to oduduwa. Ewa, which is the 'wa' in Oduduwa is symbol of beauty, where odu is great, du, black, wa, beauty.

Yewa Oduduwa was a great thinker, and a scholar, she and Ifa were contemporaries, ifa is the leader of the youth wing of the explorers, while Oduduwa was the leader of the elders. Both were educated people, Oduduwa schooled Ifa, who schooled his disciples.

The collaboration between these two great scholars gave Yorubas Odu-Ifa: although we have other mystery-explanations. But if you take the aura of gods and goblins out of it, you might see things a bit clearer.

From Ado, we'll say that our own oduduwa is the wealthy legend, the great black beauty.
Of course I get the drift. The word, “Odu" was used to identify with different people at different places . This is possible because “Odu" in IFA is regarded as “head " or “chief" . The IFA couplets has stories specifically 4,096 to be mastered. And all these, there are links to the reasons people may took after the usage of Odu Da iwa . I must be honest with you here that Yorubas have multiple of people who took after the name of odu but “Uwa"or “dua" “owa " although it was used in the ancient as to acknowledge princes but it has become generic now is more less the place where they migrated from. If you have read more on Ifa couplets , you will understand that Odu was a code to divination. On the Ijebu Ode's claim is just a blatant lie because everyone wants to take away the glory from ILE IFE. Oluiwa-Awujale was the pioneer king at Ijebu. Anyway, these people didn't deny the fact that they were related but wanted to show that they are not from Odu'a but from part of his clan . They acknowledge that they all were migrants from Amun(Amon)in Ancient Egypt, somewhere suburb Sudan. Permit to inform you that Identity of Yorubas is unfolding gradually. The Olofin was not accepted because Odu'a was adopted because was a sacred and it spread across the whole of Yoruba land. The Ijebu Ode became bittered over the internal wrangling within Ijebu axis, when Ooni came to acknowledge and inform on who can wear beaded crown as it regard Epe axis. And Remo unyielding to Ijebu Ode subjugation.
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by absoluteSuccess: 10:49pm On Jun 10, 2017
Olu317:
Of course I get the drift. The word, “Odu" was used to identify with different people at different places . This is possible because “Odu" in IFA is regarded as “head " or “chief" . The IFA couplets has stories specifically 4,096 to be mastered. And all these, there are links to the reasons people may took after the usage of Odu Da iwa . I must be honest with you here that Yorubas have multiple of people who took after the name of odu but “Uwa"or “dua" “owa " although it was used in the ancient as to acknowledge princes but it has become generic now is more less the place where they migrated from. If you have read more on Ifa couplets , you will understand that Odu was a code to divinition.

Yes, we have the oju odu, the omo odu or the amulu odu. Oju odu are the sixteen entries of ifa, while omo odu are the offset of sixteen merged in sixteen sub-entries. The Odu that ifa talked about is Odu eleyinju ege. The other Odu definitely have their vistage.

Oju Odu are sixteen original entries, the omo oloja merindinlogun: this are like the original sixteen princelings in the company of the migrants, Odu was the actual Oloja, which Yoruba have for oba at their arrival in the west coast. Odu was a forgotten sage.

Ifa is originally a compilation of records and anecdotes from various sources, with the name of the scribe affixed to each and every entry as well as the scribe's philosophy and what the precept intends. This does not contradict the identity of odu, nor its place in ifa.

On the Ijebu Ode's claim is just a blatant lie because everyone wants to take away the glory from ILE IFE. Oluiwa-Awujale was the pioneer king at Ijebu. Anyway, these people didn't deny the fact that they were related but wanted to show that they are not from Odu'a but from part of his clan . They acknowledge that they all were migrants from Amun(Amon)in Ancient Egypt, somewhere suburb Sudan. Permit to inform you that Identity of Yorubas is unfolding gradually. The Olofin was not accepted because Odu'a was adopted because was a sacred and it spread across the whole of Yoruba land. The Ijebu Ode became bittered over the internal wrangling within Ijebu axis, when Ooni came to acknowledge and inform on who can wear beaded crown as it regard Epe axis. And Remo unyielding to Ijebu Ode subjugation.

That's another one, I
'm actually talking about the opposers of Action Group then. The Adelabu penkelemesi and his rivalry with Awo.
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by Olu317(m): 11:38pm On Jun 10, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

Yes, we have the oju odu, the omo odu or the amulu odu. Oju odu are the sixteen entries of ifa, while omo odu are the offset of sixteen merged in sixteen sub-entries. The Odu that ifa talked about is Odu eleyinju ege. The other Odu definitely have their vistage.

Oju Odu are sixteen original entries, the omo oloja merindinlogun: this are like the original sixteen princelings in the company of the migrants, Odu was the actual Oloja, which Yoruba have for oba at their arrival in the west coast. Odu was a forgotten sage.

Ifa is originally a compilation of records and anecdotes from various sources, with the name of the scribe affixed to each and every entry as well as the scribe's philosophy and what the precept intends. This does not contradict the identity of odu, nor its place in ifa.

That's another one, I
'm actually talking about the opposers of Action Group then. The Adelabu penkelemesi and his rivalry with Awo.
Yes, I didn't emphasise on that because it slipped off my thought. However, the ideology of Egbe omo odua became a rallying point when Nnamdi Azikwe begun to manipulate the party that founded by a Yoruba man called Hebert Macaulay because Baba saw him as a son but Baba was wrong about Nnamdi Azikwe. The later years of his life proof such as true . And through the ingenuity of Awolowo, the Egbe Omo Odu'a had its inauguration in 1945. And people like H. Oh Davies, Adeniran Ogunsanya, T. O.S.Benson and other elites in Yoruba land refuses to be part of it because of their perceived unnecessary assumption of tribalism that Awolowo was accused of doing. And when there were polarisation within Yoruba land as a result of these fifth columnist from the federal government and Nnamdi Azikwe who was the ceremonial president, Egbe Omo Olofin was formed in 1960s to hit at Awolowo . It was spearheaded by Adetokunbo Ademola, Dr. Adekoyejo Makanjuola and other elites. Even the name Olofin (Olu—fin)was still attached to Odu'a which was another name he was called. However, that association died natural death because they were biased. It was only created to bring division among the Yorubas but they failed. Yoruba are emotional with that name Odu'a because it is deeper than words can express. I know the couplets stories in IFA if well studied , it will reveal a lot. There is a part that specifically mentioned In Odu Osa Ogunda that describes the creation of spoken word. Even the Bible's Genesis 1:2 does not have that account. The “Odus" as far as I have seen it is a different account of things that had happened in the past and the solution to such similar problems.

Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by absoluteSuccess: 8:39am On Jun 11, 2017
Olu317:
Yes, I didn't emphasise on that because it slipped off my thought. However, the ideology of Egbe omo odua became a rallying point when Nnamdi Azikwe begun to manipulate the party that founded by a Yoruba man called Hebert Macaulay because Baba saw him as a son but Baba was wrong about Nnamdi Azikwe. The later years of his life proof such as true . And through the ingenuity of Awolowo, the Egbe Omo Odu'a had its inauguration in 1945. And people like H. Oh Davies, Adeniran Ogunsanya, T. O.S.Benson and other elites in Yoruba land refuses to be part of it because of their perceived unnecessary assumption of tribalism that Awolowo was accused of doing. And when there were polarisation within Yoruba land as a result of these fifth columnist from the federal government and Nnamdi Azikwe who was the ceremonial president, Egbe Omo Olofin was formed in 1960s to hit at Awolowo . It was spearheaded by Adetokunbo Ademola, Dr. Adekoyejo Makanjuola and other elites. Even the name Olofin (Olu—fin)was still attached to Odu'a which was another name he was called. However, that association died natural death because they were biased. It was only created to bring division among the Yorubas but they failed. Yoruba are emotional with that name Odu'a because it is deeper than words can express. I know the couplets stories in IFA if well studied , it will reveal a lot. There is a part that specifically mentioned In Odu Osa Ogunda that describes the creation of spoken word. Even the Bible's Genesis 1:2 does not have that account. The “Odus" as far as I have seen it is a different account of things that had happened in the past and the solution to such similar problems.

That's true, Herbert Macauley bestowed the party structure of National Party of Nigeria to Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, who became a rival with Awo in Yorubaland. Macauley was once the survey general to the Nigerian colonial government.

Awo took a slight on him in his 'Awo, An Autobiography' that he stayed more at Ado Odo than he does o field. I don't know why Awo was not in proximity with Macauley though. Awo may have a different course and greatness needs him to stand out.

As to Ela, I think the term is also related to iwori: Ela-Iwori. Iwori is one of the main entry in ifa, odu iwori meji. It is one of the precept in it that discussed the beginning of Ifa divinition: which talked about olowo's disrespect for Orunmila at an event he organised and invited the princes of his people.

Orunmila went to heaven under the ope eyi toya niya buka merindinlogun. That's another angle to the significance of sixteen with Ifa own disciples. It is because of this that Ifa is called Ope, abise wara. The title of that entry (iwori) is curiously similar to Awori.

It is known that Orunmila went to be with God at some point, so it is said, ifa dakun masun nile Ado, Oyeku, dakun masun lotu Ife. I want to see the said Ado as the one in Aworiland, because it is common knowledge that Ado was also called ife by the older indigenous folks.

Oyela is akin to the biblical term “let there be light”:As we often says, ojumo timo, oye la peregede. Oye la, let the fog brighten, let the dark bring light, if seen from the atmospheric condition that precedes it. Ela ro wa is another form of it, commanding light to spring forth.

Ela loro, ela is considered to be identical with christ in some quarters as far back as when the history of yoruba was written: the author claimed that the Yoruba were coptic christians. 'Ela is word' means understanding is bedrock of communication. God is the word.
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by Olu317(m): 7:57pm On Jun 11, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

That's true, Herbert Macauley bestowed the party structure of National Party of Nigeria to Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, who became a rival with Awo in Yorubaland. Macauley was once the survey general to the Nigerian colonial government.

Awo took a slight on him in his 'Awo, An Autobiography' that he stayed more at Ado Odo than he does o field. I don't know why Awo was not in proximity with Macauley though. Awo may have a different course and greatness needs him to stand out.

As to Ela, I think the term is also related to iwori: Ela-Iwori. Iwori is one of the main entry in ifa, odu iwori meji. It is one of the precept in it that discussed the beginning of Ifa divinition: which talked about olowo's disrespect for Orunmila at an event he organised and invited the princes of his people.

Orunmila went to heaven under the ope eyi toya niya buka merindinlogun. That's another angle to the significance of sixteen with Ifa own disciples. It is because of this that Ifa is called Ope, abise wara. The title of that entry (iwori) is curiously similar to Awori.

It is known that Orunmila went to be with God at some point, so it is said, ifa dakun masun nile Ado, Oyeku, dakun masun lotu Ife. I want to see the said Ado as the one in Aworiland, because it is common knowledge that Ado was also called ife by the older indigenous folks.

Oyela is akin to the biblical term “let there be light”:As we often says, ojumo timo, oye la peregede. Oye la, let the fog brighten, let the dark bring light, if seen from the atmospheric condition that precedes it. Ela ro wa is another form of it, commanding light to spring forth.

Ela loro, ela is considered to be identical with christ in some quarters as far back as when the history of yoruba was written: the author claimed that the Yoruba were coptic christians. 'Ela is word' means understanding is bedrock of communication. God is the word.
Of course, Herbert Macaulay made a mistake on such gesture because he didn't see the difference at first. Perhaps Nnamdi Azikwe gave an impression different from what his motives were. And Azikwe motive played out well, when he was bittered about the manner at which he lost the election. If not an insult, in the first place, for an Ibo to want to become Premier of Western Region. And this same man and his,Premier in the East went into close door coalition with Yorubas when Awolowo and other Yoruba leaders were in jail to boycott election. Do you know what this Ibos did? They betray Yorubas and told their people to vote in 1964.

Yes, Yoruba were called Coptic Christians but we are more than that because,if we consider the explosive remark of Clapperton in 1822 ,claiming that Yoruba are the descendants of Canaanites, then you will understand the curiosity of the British colonialist. The reality is that, Yoruba's claim as the descendants of God is similar to a group in China and Israelites. And these two groups have been proven to DNA link with Yorubas. So, the reality is that Some Yorubas on here love history but are not inquisitive enough to do more studying but self glorification on the unrealistic information. Ela (Yoruba) and El(Israel) have same functions. If you consider the manner at which it both descended. It is quite interesting seeing Yorubas bronze sculpture exactly like the ones in the middle East. Another curios word is ELYION, (HEBREW) and Yoruba's OLORUN/OLUOHUN/OLOHUN ,practically meaning the same. Are these coincidence? . Have you understudy why Yoruba exhume love ones and rebury? There are certain tradition found in Yoruba land that is prototype of Middle East. Have you understudy the odu that describes Yorubas almighty God as ancient of days, ageless and having eternal grey hair? There are many areas in Yoruba tradition that point our origin towards the Middle East. Have you done any research on UMOLE(IMOLE) cult?

Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by absoluteSuccess: 2:10pm On Jun 13, 2017
Olu317:
Of course, Herbert Macaulay made a mistake on such gesture because he didn't see the difference at first. Perhaps Nnamdi Azikwe gave an impression different from what his motives were. And Azikwe motive played out well, when he was bittered about the manner at which he lost the election. If not an insult, in the first place, for an Ibo to want to become Premier of Western Region. And this same man and his,Premier in the East went into close door coalition with Yorubas when Awolowo and other Yoruba leaders were in jail to boycott election. Do you know what this Ibos did? They betray Yorubas and told their people to vote in 1964.

My bro, the adage of our fathers says baaba gbagbe oro ana, aoni reni ba sere. Herbert Macauley shows that Yoruba are not outright tribalists, they can give you anything you deserve until you betray them: the danger is, they may not get back all they have given.

Yes, Yoruba were called Coptic Christians but we are more than that because,if we consider the explosive remark of Clapperton in 1822 ,claiming that Yoruba are the descendants of Canaanites, then you will understand the curiosity of the British colonialist. The reality is that, Yoruba's claim as the descendants of God is similar to a group in China and Israelites. And these two groups have been proven to DNA link with Yorubas. So, the reality is that Some Yorubas on here love history but are not inquisitive enough to do more studying but self glorification on the unrealistic information. Ela (Yoruba) and El(Israel) have same functions. If you consider the manner at which it both descended. It is quite interesting seeing Yorubas bronze sculpture exactly like the ones in the middle East. Have you understudy why Yoruba exhume love ones and rebury? There are certain tradition found in Yoruba land that is prototype of Middle East. Have you understudy the odu that describes Yorubas almighty God as ancient of days, ageless and having eternal grey hair? There are many areas in Yoruba tradition that point our origin towards the Middle East. Have you done any research on UMOLE(IMOLE) cult?

The Yoruba were ancient hebrews, they were migrants from Iseri (ancient Israel). Both Ake and the Awori still alludes to their link to Iseri, they were Canaanites, having come from the promiseland. Clapperton won't make Yoruba appear as Hebrew, it is dangerous. So, Coptic Christian identity can take care of Christian parallels in Yorubs tradition.

The Oduduwa story is a key to unlocking this connection. Isaiah was referring to this migrant Hebrews in chapter 18, talking about what has become modern day Nigeria. This ancient hebrew were the first settlers in and around Nigeria so to speak.

Although Yorubaland was were the leaders of the migrants finally end their journey, but her neighbours too have a formidable tradition that overlap with the Yoruba and still trace back to traditions you can only find in the holy bible. No doubt Yoruba has come from Ur (Orun) to Canaanland, to Egypt and finally Yorubaland.

The Yoruba for origin is nigba iwashe: meaning, the era of coming to establish. Some precept in Ifa gives us what Yoruba ancestors believed about hereafter, owonrinsogbe relates: kamafi kanjukanju lole aye, kamaf warawara jakun ida, oun taafi sagba, kamafi sebinu, orunmila ni taaba debi to tutu ka sinmi sinmi, kawowaju ejo titi titi; kaweyin oro sun~un, nitori ojo atisun eni.

Ojo atisun is another example of what Yoruba have in common with christianity. It means'tte day of recompense' or the day of sleep. So the wicked is admonished 'osika ranti ojo atisun re o'. Ojo atisun is what Christians called 'the last day'. The little variant is because Christians think from english to Yoruba, while Yoruba think from the ancients.

English language cannot fully codify every hebrew thought it has needs for as a result of different historical experience, but they will impose a closest translation. They have gods, and we have orisa, which does not translate to god, but chosen. This translation imposed god on the chosen. This deny us an element of history.

Did the English taught us about ojo atisun? Which other culture look to a time when the wicked will be rewarded on judgement day? It took Muhammed to infuse that in Arabian consciousness via Islam, and Zoroaster via his dream. But it is a common knowledge to Isaiah and christ and Lazarus sister. That's the difference.

We have a godly heritage. Hence we say eke sise o pe ama lowo lowo, ile dida o pe a mala, ojo atisun lebo. The ancient Yoruba looked to the judgement day. This is part of our heritage long before the advent of the universal religion. It is in our traditional believe that there is a judgement day after death.

I used to wonder when some self-acclaimed historians here argued that its all co-incidence to share some element with the middle east: the same set of people that can hardly decrypt a single Yoruba semantic forming authority via biological precepts and good english grammar and tonnes of suspicion.
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by MetaPhysical: 8:28pm On Jun 13, 2017
amor4ce,
Oduduwa, Ooni, Olofin...these are titles it appears. Yoruba have a complex but nicely woven nomenclature structure with prefix or suffix name -

IFA
Ifa-dare
Ifa-yemi
Ifa-shola
Ifa-lomo

AWO
Awo-lowo
Awo-yemi
Awo-tunde

OGUN
Ogun-bambi
Ogun-sanmi
Ogun-lana

ODE
Ode-lola
Ode-wale
Ode-yemi

We know what Ifa is, and we know what Awo, Ogun and Ode is. We can format any concept into a name using one of the prefixes; same for suffixes.

We have similar structure in time/space also - mostly associated with placenames to serve as landmark on the landscape or timeline in history...

Ijesha-tedo
Sango-tedo
Egba-tedo
Epe-tedo

We can coin any subethnic with its own -tedo because we are knowledgable in TEDO as beginning of a new exploration.

Oyo-tedo (the relocation from Oyo Ile southward)
Eko-tedo (the relocation of Lagos Royalty in exile to Epe and formation of a new dynasty there)
Owu-tedo (the relocation of Owu southward for self-preservation)
Ife-tedo (the duplication of Olofin title and a spiritual relocation of a priest of Ife to the coast to become a new sub ethnic - Awori)

Taking this into account, we can recognise Olofin, Alafin, Odofin, as a suffix structure in which FIN becomes the principal. What is FIN? If we find FIN, then we can explain the many -fin occurrences.

In every Yoruba settlement a Priest precedes the founding. The migrants advance as a party, but it is the Priest that goes forth to consecrate the land with ritual cleansing. Only after that is the King designate brought forward for coronation to the stool.

The Priest rules over the ethereal forces of the land; the King rules over the material beings of the land, a partnership! Their titles are distinct as well because of their divine role. So if we have a Priest-King in one person, then what title do we give to him?
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by MetaPhysical: 8:55pm On Jun 13, 2017
absolutesuccess,
O ku ijo meta o! wink

I saw your post about Oduduwa as a woman and Im responding to share what I feel may have happened. I could be wrong.

Air, for instance, is a profiting element when in its calm state. It can mix with water and produce turbulent storm, it can mix with fire and generate devastating inferno. For purpose of veneration if we take air in its calm state as a female attribute and the same air in its destructive state as male agent, then it serves a better end when we know the sacrifice or offering to give when we pay respect to its force and energy. I think this may be the genesis of Oduduwa being venerated as a female.
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by MetaPhysical: 9:00pm On Jun 13, 2017
Open to anyone with information to share input on the three Orisas imported to Lagos from Ijesha/Ijebu people, they are Malaki, Ejilu and Adimu.

I seriously believe Malaki and Ejilu are the persons of Malachi and Elijah from the Bible. If so, how did they become Orisas in the midst of Yorubas?
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by MetaPhysical: 9:14pm On Jun 13, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

My bro, the adage of our fathers says baaba gbagbe oro ana, aoni reni ba sere. Herbert Macauley shows that Yoruba are not outright tribalists, they can give you anything you deserve until you betray them: the danger is, they may not get back all they have given.

The Yoruba were ancient hebrews, they were migrants from Iseri (ancient Israel). Both Ake and the Awori still alludes to their link to Iseri, they were Canaanites, having come from the promiseland. Clapperton won't make Yoruba appear as Hebrew, it is dangerous. So, Coptic Christian identity can take care of Christian parallels in Yorubs tradition.

The Oduduwa story is a key to unlocking this connection. Isaiah was referring to this migrant Hebrews in chapter 18, talking about what has become modern day Nigeria. This ancient hebrew were the first settlers in and around Nigeria so to speak.

Although Yorubaland was were the leaders of the migrants finally end their journey, but her neighbours too have a formidable tradition that overlap with the Yoruba and still trace back to traditions you can only find in the holy bible. No doubt Yoruba has come from Ur (Orun) to Canaanland, to Egypt and finally Yorubaland.

The Yoruba for origin is nigba iwashe: meaning, the era of coming to establish. Some precept in Ifa gives us what Yoruba ancestors believed about hereafter, owonrinsogbe relates: kamafi kanjukanju lole aye, kamaf warawara jakun ida, oun taafi sagba, kamafi sebinu, orunmila ni taaba debi to tutu ka sinmi sinmi, kawowaju ejo titi titi; kaweyin oro sun~un, nitori ojo atisun eni.

Ojo atisun is another example of what Yoruba have in common with christianity. It means'tte day of recompense' or the day of sleep. So the wicked is admonished 'osika ranti ojo atisun re o'. Ojo atisun is what Christians called 'the last day'. The little variant is because Christians think from english to Yoruba, while Yoruba think from the ancients.

English language cannot fully codify every hebrew thought it has needs for as a result of different historical experience, but they will impose a closest translation. They have gods, and we have orisa, which does not translate to god, but chosen. This translation imposed god on the chosen. This deny us an element of history.

Did the English taught us about ojo atisun? Which other culture look to a time when the wicked will be rewarded on judgement day? It took Muhammed to infuse that in Arabian consciousness via Islam, and Zoroaster via his dream. But it is a common knowledge to Isaiah and christ and Lazarus sister. That's the difference.

We have a godly heritage. Hence we say eke sise o pe ama lowo lowo, ile dida o pe a mala, ojo atisun lebo. The ancient Yoruba looked to the judgement day. This is part of our heritage long before the advent of the universal religion. It is in our traditional believe that there is a judgement day after death.

I used to wonder when some self-acclaimed historians here argued that its all co-incidence to share some element with the middle east: the same set of people that can hardly decrypt a single Yoruba semantic forming authority via biological precepts and good english grammar and tonnes of suspicion.

This is what I subscribe. May God bless you profoundly. This is the truth!
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by MetaPhysical: 3:14am On Jun 14, 2017
Pick whichever one you want...

The name Hadad.

Hadad, or Adad, is also the name of a prime Semitic deity, probably the same as Baal and Rimmon, whose name was often part of compound names applied to human individuals (as was customary in that time and region). It may be that the individuals mentioned above simply had the same name as this deity, or perhaps (as HAW Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament suggests), their real names were compounds, but they went by the abbreviated version. It's also entirely plausible that Hadad isn't really a name at all, but rather a royal title, much like Pharaoh in Egypt, Caesar in Rome or Abimelech in Palestine.

For a meaning of the name Hadad I, NOBSE Study Bible Name List observes no difference between the two Hadads and reads Fierceness for both of them. It's not clear whether NOBSE derives our name from חדה and gives it a rather liberal interpretive swing, or from a root in a different language. Alfred Jones (Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names), in a rare display of obscurity, doesn't discuss possible roots, but declares that in the Assyrian language our name signified "one". Hence Jones proposes Chief, Most Eminent, Most High for a meaning of the name Hadad.

To a Hebrew audience, however, the name Hadad would have meant Thunder or Shout, and since Hadad was the region's storm god, vey few would have ventured away from that interpretation.
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by absoluteSuccess: 10:13am On Jun 14, 2017
MetaPhysical:
absolutesuccess,
O ku ijo meta o! wink

I saw your post about Oduduwa as a woman and Im responding to share what I feel may have happened. I could be wrong.

Air, for instance, is a profiting element when in its calm state. It can mix with water and produce turbulent storm, it can mix with fire and generate devastating inferno. For purpose of veneration if we take air in its calm state as a female attribute and the same air in its destructive state as male agent, then it serves a better end when we know the sacrifice or offering to give when we pay respect to its force and energy. I think this may be the genesis of Oduduwa being venerated as a female.

Hmm, enu agba lobi ngbo si.

Eku agba, baba metaphysical the great.
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by absoluteSuccess: 10:43am On Jun 14, 2017
MetaPhysical:

This is what I subscribe. May God bless you profoundly. This is the truth!

Well I'm a good student of yours, I almost put metaphysical in bracket writing the hebrew-Canaanite part but it would sound like I'm yet to embrace the truth without your shadow, hence I hold it. Mixing with your thought-system has paid off for me, I've come full cycle learning.

From glory to glory, we all shall ascend.

Ase.
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by Olu317(m): 12:31pm On Jun 14, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

I agree with you in totality because Yoruba always believe good thing can come out of every individual if such was willing. This was the blunder of Herbert Macaulay. Even Awolowo did blundered too on such instance too when he formed alliance with an Ibo during the third Republic. And instead, the Ibos voted for Shehu Shagari . Perhaps, a bigger cross for Yorubas to carry.

Oh yes, clapperton didn't want to blow it out of proportion. And it saved us though because it was a time when European education was far ahead of us. Despite the fact that our ancestors didn't forget where they came from. The Bronze castings, Traditions, customs, Beads making etc speaks of our identity. Many Yoruba historians don't work which is the reason I see the United Nations Organisation's work on world history and culture don't take Yoruba historians serious because they don't even have accurate information but instead kept localising Yoruba people to West Africa, when in fact, Yoruba is a distinct group in the whole of Western Africa region. The uneducated will tell you in the olden days that their ancestors came from the East,instead the Yoruba scholars says otherwise. And non of these historians have have conclusively defend how our culture is similar to Hebrews. The Egyptians worship Ram. The Hebrews use Ram ,Heifer etc as sacrifice. Yoruba use Ram, Heifer etc as sacrifice . This is because they have studied all part of the world history which has given the detail information of the human history. There are books that specifically mentioned Canaanite worshipping ancestors, celebrate new farm produce season but in all of these, EL is worshipped as the Supreme God. This identical in Yoruba tradition and these alone testified to migrations of people to this Place. The Name Ooni came up in EGYPT but known as Onias. The position was acclaimed as a priest and descendant of Zaddok (Aaron) but somewhere along a son of David's kingly lineage got married to the Daughter of the Onias. All of these happened in Egypt. The name Onias is known in The land of Egypt as land owner and priest. Another striking thing is that in Yoruba land, it is not a crime to rebury the DEAD. This was done unto JOSEPH, when he was exhume from the land of Egypt. How can this pseudo historians are so blind to see this? Another feature is that ancients Hebrew Priests had TRIBAL marks.
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by Olu317(m): 12:34pm On Jun 14, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

I agree with you in totality because Yoruba always believe good thing can come out of every individual if such was willing. This was the blunder of Herbert Macaulay. Even Awolowo did blundered too on such instance too when he formed alliance with an Ibo during the third Republic. And instead, the Ibos voted for Shehu Shagari . Perhaps, a bigger cross for Yorubas to carry.

Oh yes, clapperton didn't want to blow it out of proportion. And it saved us though because it was a time when European education was far ahead of us. Despite the fact that our ancestors didn't forget where they came from. The Bronze castings, Traditions, customs, Beads making etc speaks of our identity. Many Yoruba historians don't work which is the reason I see the United Nations Organisation's work on world history and culture don't take Yoruba historians serious because they don't even have accurate information but instead kept localising Yoruba people to West Africa, when in fact, Yoruba is a distinct group in the whole of Western Africa region. The uneducated will tell you in the olden days that their ancestors came from the East,instead the Yoruba scholars says otherwise. And non of these historians have have conclusively defend how our culture is similar to Hebrews. The Egyptians worship Ram. The Hebrews use Ram ,Heifer etc as sacrifice. Yoruba use Ram, Heifer etc as sacrifice . This is because they have studied all part of the world history which has given the detail information of the human history. There are books that specifically mentioned Canaanite worshipping ancestors, celebrate new farm produce season but in all of these, EL is worshipped as the Supreme God. This identical in Yoruba tradition and these alone testified to migrations of people to this Place. The Name Ooni came up in EGYPT but known as Onias. The position was acclaimed as a priest and descendant of Zaddok (Aaron) but somewhere along a son of David's kingly lineage got married to the Daughter of the Onias. All of these happened in Egypt. The name Onias is known in The land of Egypt as land owner and priest. Another striking thing is that in Yoruba land, it is not a crime to rebury the DEAD. This was done unto JOSEPH, when he was exhume from the land of Egypt. How can this pseudo historians are so blind to see this? Another feature is that ancients Hebrew Priests had TRIBAL marks. There is another factor which seem very striking. Such as
Chaldean's name “Aki"— Hero = Yoruba's “Aki"/“Akin" as Hero
Sumerian's name “SI"— life/exist = Yoruba's “Si" as life
Hebrew's name “Hannon" —mercy = Yoruba's “Anu"—mercy
Hebrew's name “iri"—see = Yoruba's “ri" —see etc

These are too close to be ignored. Anyway, some of us will get to the bottom of it.
Re: Oduduwa Has Never Been Ooni But Always Olofin by MetaPhysical: 3:05pm On Jun 14, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

Well I'm a good student of yours, I almost put metaphysical in bracket writing the hebrew-Canaanite part but it would sound like I'm yet to embrace the truth without your shadow, hence I hold it. Mixing with your thought-system has paid off for me, I've come full cycle learning.

From glory to glory, we all shall ascend.

Ase.

My brother,

Aiye a yee si, Igba gbogbo a tu e l'ara.
Ase Edumare.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do Money Rituals Actually Work? / Nairalanders, On Behalf Of The Whole Of Horn Of Africa... / Say Ur Native Names And Translate Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 253
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.