Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,861 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:49 AM

How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. - Jokes Etc - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. (30993 Views)

How Nigerians Always Prepare For December / How Nigerians React To Snakes / Photo Of The Day: How Nigerians Leave Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by BBBlaze: 5:47am On Jun 07, 2017
CASE STUDY; A Student and His Lecturer

STUDENT: Goodmorning sir

LECTURER: Goodmorning John, my smart boy! (smiling)

STUDENT: How are you sir?

LECTURER: What did you say?(facial look changing-frowning)

STUDENT: Sir! I said how are you sir?

LECTURER: You must be very very stupid. Do I look like your mate? Too much familiarity brings insults. So I have automatically turn your junior because you see my teeth often, right John?

STUDENT: No sir...I was only trying to...(surprised and trying to explain)

LECTURER: Shut up there, idiot! Trying to do what??.. you this boy; you must fail my course for being a disrespectful fool. Get out now!(angry)

*Just asking about his Lecturer's wellbeing has put John into a mess*

"They say Respect is reciprocal"...I will say Nigerians should grow up if we really claim to be civilised!

What's your take on this?

61 Likes

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by coolcharm(m): 5:49am On Jun 07, 2017
cheesy

I think because English is not our native tongue, and because the african culture ascribe astronomic regard to respect for elders, it is difficult for a typical unexposed Nigerian 'elder' to digest that question.

In his mind, he is like 'who the hell do you think you are to ask me such?'

Lol.

There is an inflated ego in the Nigerian elder that that question Punctures.

In fact, if you want to drive him nuts to the point where he will want to go hug a transformer, add his first name to it.

E.g, How are you Buhari? cheesy

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by wordbank(m): 5:49am On Jun 07, 2017
A bombastic lecturer

14 Likes

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by hodusglobal(m): 5:54am On Jun 07, 2017
grin
Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by dingbang(m): 6:00am On Jun 07, 2017
The lecturer is not educated.

74 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by SuperSuave(m): 6:06am On Jun 07, 2017
the lecturer go school at all? angry

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by Nobody: 6:07am On Jun 07, 2017
That was disrespectful jare, why will you ask your lecturer such a question grin

11 Likes

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by smardray(m): 6:09am On Jun 07, 2017
Too much yoruba mentality

109 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by Nobody: 6:13am On Jun 07, 2017
The day i ask my dad "how are you" pubicly he just smiled and said "fine" but when we got home that same day, (may 5th 1999) it was just like Mr.Ibu (myself) Vs Floyd Mayweather.

We do joke with it anytime i visit him but that beating still dey pain me. All because of a harmless question.

152 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by Evablizin(f): 6:19am On Jun 07, 2017
Lols,most of our elders are backward in terms of understanding the word how are you,therefore i dare not use this word any time i see them,imagine you are permitted to ask them how are you in our native language but with english you are doomed

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by BBBlaze: 6:52am On Jun 07, 2017
dingbang:
The lecturers is not educated.

not only a lecturer; it does hapen with other classes of people in everyday life because of their pride and ego

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by BBBlaze: 6:55am On Jun 07, 2017
24sqm:
That was disrespectful jare, why will you ask your lecturer such a question grin

but check it very well; there is nothing wrong in asking a superior" how are you?", if we really understand the deep meaning of that question

6 Likes

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by BBBlaze: 7:10am On Jun 07, 2017
Evablizin:
Lols,most of our elders are backward in terms of understanding the word how are you,therefore i dare not use this word any time i see them,imagine you are permitted to ask them how are you in our native language but with english you are doomed
that's why our elders and younger ones ought to follow the trend of the 21st century.
ask a Foreigner (superior or minor) " how are you?" and they simply reply with a smile" I am fine thank you, and you?"

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by Skappy44(m): 7:51am On Jun 07, 2017
this is so disrespectful how can you say how are you to your lecturere

3 Likes

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by BBBlaze: 8:01am On Jun 07, 2017
smardray:
Too much yoruba mentality
lol...bros it is not only the Yorubas ooo; it just a general Naija mentality!

8 Likes

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by encryptjay(m): 10:09am On Jun 07, 2017
JasonScolari:
The day i ask my dad "how are you" pubicly he just smiled and said "fine" but when we got home that same day, (may 5th 1999) it was just like Mr.Ibu (myself) Vs Floyd Mayweather.

We do joke with it anytime i visit him but that beating still dey pain me. All because of a harmless question.
Kikiki... for real? grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by Nobody: 10:15am On Jun 07, 2017
encryptjay:
Kikiki... for real? grin
No jokes man.

The beating is still fresh in my memory.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by branhampaul: 10:30am On Jun 07, 2017
dingbang:
no, he is educated, he is just savage..

5 Likes

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by encryptjay(m): 10:31am On Jun 07, 2017
JasonScolari:
No jokes man.

The beating is still fresh in my memory.
Hahaha... mature form of beating.

3 Likes

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by balaclava: 11:28am On Jun 07, 2017
How r u Sir? should be okay...
The "Sir" has covered for the "how r u"

Using only "how r u" in itself is also not wrong but in the Nigerian culture especially the Yoruba's... respect is overhyped.

Yoruba's will b making call and still b bending down(sign of respect) when greeting the person on phone.

N.B: I b Yoruba n I'm Not dissing d clan.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by YorubaNigga(m): 12:45pm On Jun 07, 2017
That is cultural reasoning from the lecturer. It hardly happen nowadays.
Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by Nickymezor(f): 2:04pm On Jun 07, 2017
It aint a bad question. It shows u care abt the person.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by Joe171(m): 3:51pm On Jun 07, 2017
BBBlaze:

but check it very well; there is nothing wrong in asking a superior" how are you?", if we really understand the deep meaning of that question
It doesn't have any "deep meaning" it's just a rubbish traditional way of younger-older way of greeting in Nigeria that has changed the thinking of our people.
it is the older one that must ask "how are you" syndrome.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by BBBlaze: 7:30pm On Jun 07, 2017
Joe171:

It doesn't have any "deep meaning" it's just a rubbish traditional way of younger-older way of greeting in Nigeria that has changed the thinking of our people.
it is the older one that must ask "how are you" syndrome.

which is not suppose to be.
it should be reciprocal.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by malton: 7:32pm On Jun 07, 2017
My response to that depends on who's asking.

Like, there's this female course mate of mine. Each time she calls, she'd be like "****, how are you?"

Me: angry. You're mad abi?!

Her: sorry jor. I forgot you don't like being asked that.

But when an uncle throws the exact same question, I dey loyal.

Me: kiss. I'm fine uncle; how's work and the family?

grin

If na my guy ask me,

Me: see, you chop craze abi?! When be the last time wey pesin slap you?!

5 Likes

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by oseka101(m): 7:47pm On Jun 07, 2017
dingbang:
lolzz it's quite common with yoruba lecturer's that's how one of
My friend is splling for the 3rd time because he raised his left hand to answer attendance ...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by rattlesnake(m): 7:54pm On Jun 07, 2017
BBBlaze:

CASE STUDY; A Student and His Lecturer

STUDENT: Goodmorning sir

LECTURER: Goodmorning John, my smart boy! (smiling)

STUDENT: How are you sir?

LECTURER: What did you say?(facial look changing-frowning)

STUDENT: Sir! I said how are you sir?

LECTURER: You must be very very stupid. Do I look like your mate? Too much familiarity brings insults. So I have automatically turn your junior because you see my teeth often, right John?

STUDENT: No sir...I was only trying to...(surprised and trying to explain)

LECTURER: Shut up there, idiot! Trying to do what??.. you this boy; you must fail my course for being a disrespectful fool. Get out now!(angry)

*Just asking about his Lecturer's wellbeing has put John into a mess*

"They say Respect is reciprocal"...I will say Nigerians should grow up if we really claim to be civilised!

What's your take on this?

The Lecturer na ODE

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by dingbang(m): 7:59pm On Jun 07, 2017
dingbang:
The lecturer is not educated.
Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by abbeyty(m): 8:00pm On Jun 07, 2017
HE would have cut the student head off if he did not put sir at the end of how are you......a lecture who doesn't know the meaning of how are you
Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by Specyano(m): 10:50pm On Jun 07, 2017
that's how one of my female friends reacted badly with the word *hey*. ... I was annoyed at first buh me just calm down tell her dah it means Hi

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by falcon01: 4:54am On Jun 08, 2017
Welcome to nairaland the place where you cant comfortably crack joke about another tribe due to tribalism.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by Mcreloaded(m): 8:11am On Jun 08, 2017
I know for certain that girls hate that question especially if its coming from their age mates or even friends

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos: Rams In Fighting Contest In Lagos / 9 Major News /lines That Can Make An Average Naija Guy Go Gaga - Meme Collection / Joke Section 2009 Awards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.