Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:49 PM

How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. - Jokes Etc (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. (30997 Views)

How Nigerians Always Prepare For December / How Nigerians React To Snakes / Photo Of The Day: How Nigerians Leave Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by AyamConfidence(m): 9:17am On Jun 08, 2017
Last time I asked a lady friend of mine how she was...see her trying l her best to slap my mouth

I just dey dodge

I asked another woman..she wan change am for me saying if I can ask my mummy that.....I keep asking to irk her anyways since she has discarded the real purpose of the question

Most times sha I just ask "how are you doing?"... I think they prefer this one
Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by yoruBADboi(m): 9:18am On Jun 08, 2017
Someone cannot jejely ask how are you again?

Am sure dat lecturer is an African man

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by kolafolabi(m): 9:18am On Jun 08, 2017
How do you do sir sounds good too

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by ivolt: 9:20am On Jun 08, 2017
smardray:
Too much yoruba mentality

So you have nothing to do with your time than instigating tribalism ?

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by besticality: 9:23am On Jun 08, 2017
I ask my dad the same question often and he answers. Though, my dad is sophisticated oooo grin grin
Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by yvesboss(m): 9:25am On Jun 08, 2017
Nigerian Mentality.

Reminded me of when i first joined this company and the culture was to call people by first name, even the MD/CEO. Omo mehn..it took time for me to adjust ooo but since thats the culture, i eventually adjusted.

In Nigeria, you will hear stuffs like Mama Brother Afeez because Afeez is way your senior and you cant call Mama Afeez to show respect for Afeez...funny Tradition

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by kayceeD2(m): 9:26am On Jun 08, 2017
BBBlaze:

CASE STUDY; A Student and His Lecturer

STUDENT: Goodmorning sir

LECTURER: Goodmorning John, my smart boy! (smiling)

STUDENT: How are you sir?

LECTURER: What did you say?(facial look changing-frowning)

STUDENT: Sir! I said how are you sir?

LECTURER: You must be very very stupid. Do I look like your mate? Too much familiarity brings insults. So I have automatically turn your junior because you see my teeth often, right John?

STUDENT: No sir...I was only trying to...(surprised and trying to explain)

LECTURER: Shut up there, idiot! Trying to do what??.. you this boy; you must fail my course for being a disrespectful fool. Get out now!(angry)

*Just asking about his Lecturer's wellbeing has put John into a mess*

"They say Respect is reciprocal"...I will say Nigerians should grow up if we really claim to be civilised!

What's your take on this?
Can u tell ur Dad " How are u?
Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by chuks34(m): 9:26am On Jun 08, 2017
How are u sir
Nd he was like
Are my ur mate, oya get out grin
Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by abhosts(m): 9:27am On Jun 08, 2017
No big deal. When in Rome you should behave as the Romans. No need forcing Western ideals on everyone.
Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by femo86(m): 9:28am On Jun 08, 2017
It shows that you are caring by asking how the person was.....Simple "How are you doing?" question...Mumu lecturer dey para....Better still, how are you Sir/Ma?..........Not bad

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by Wizkhalifa2(m): 9:28am On Jun 08, 2017
STUDENT : HOW RE U SIR?

LECTURER : I'M FINE MY DEAR, WHAT IS UR MAT-NO?

STUDENT :

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by haryomikun(m): 9:29am On Jun 08, 2017
Specyano:
that's how one of my female friends reacted badly with the word *hey*. ...
I was annoyed at first buh me just calm down tell her dah it means Hi
I swear this thing been happen to me in 100l. My female hallmates too vex ehen I dey greet them with 'hey' except for a few who were used to the hey greeting

I just look dem talk say na 'hey' I go greet them or I go dey ignore them. Make dem choose cheesy
Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by free2ryhme: 9:29am On Jun 08, 2017
Just ignore and pass undecided
Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by Kreme(m): 9:29am On Jun 08, 2017
undecided undecided
smardray:
undecided
smardray:
Must you display you stupidity??
Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by netflicks(m): 9:33am On Jun 08, 2017
I can't fit laff... cheesy If Steven is older than u, u must use Broda Steven, u call him Steven or Steve na quarrel...remember your elder sister u must call her anty if not quarrel go dey...all made in Nigeria.

Take it outside u will hear names like Broda Donald Trump, Broda Obama, Anty Clinton, Broda Jay Z....sign of respect. grin

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by Horleey: 9:37am On Jun 08, 2017
24sqm:
That was disrespectful jare, why will you ask your lecturer such a question grin

I want to agree that you as well as that lecturer are from one of the south western states, because they see 'Bawo ni' as an insult on elders in yoruba land. Have you seen whites call their parents by their names or things like 'sleepyhead' early in the morning. Of course YES. Its a form of asking about one's welfare and not an insult. Inferiority complex i see here.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by LadyJasper: 9:38am On Jun 08, 2017
Honestly, I've not been able to understand why Nigerians see such a question coming from a younger person as an insult. As far as I'm concerned, it shows concern and that you're interested in the person's well being so I use it regularly.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by NickMark1(m): 9:40am On Jun 08, 2017
common sense.....
Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by habex005(m): 9:42am On Jun 08, 2017
Just adding sir makes it more respectful in our mother tongue. ... e.g how are you sir is enough..
Word

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by deedeedee1: 9:43am On Jun 08, 2017
balaclava:
How r u Sir? should be okay...
The "Sir" has covered for the "how r u"

Using only "how r u" in itself is also not wrong but in the Nigerian culture especially the Yoruba's... respect is overhyped.

Yoruba's will b making call and still b bending down(sign of respect) when greeting the person on phone.

N.B: I b Yoruba n I'm Not dissing d clan.
You are not dissing us but you say this nonsense because you want to make a point, right?
Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by UjSizzle(f): 9:46am On Jun 08, 2017
Evablizin:
Lols,most of our elders are backward in terms of understanding the word how are you,therefore i dare not use this word any time i see them,imagine you are permitted to ask them how are you in our native language but with english you are doomed
Exactly.
I always ask in my native language instead of English. It's safer maka ndi iwe grin

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by DavidEsq(m): 9:48am On Jun 08, 2017
JasonScolari:
The day i ask my dad "how are you" pubicly he just smiled and said "fine" but when we got home that same day, (may 5th 1999) it was just like Mr.Ibu (myself) Vs Floyd Mayweather.

We do joke with it anytime i visit him but that beating still dey pain me. All because of a harmless question.
U even remember the date sef :'
E clear say the peeling for ur yansh no be here
Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by ItzWonderz(m): 9:48am On Jun 08, 2017
branhampaul:
no, he is educated, he is just savage..

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by Orevamona(f): 9:49am On Jun 08, 2017
That's how my HOD sent me home for simply saying how are you sir n how was your night,the man just got angry ohh,hubby was like you nor get respect,did not know that How are you is an insult oh

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by Dessydemmy: 9:50am On Jun 08, 2017
iI think we all need to fill in gap with the way things are changing ranging from our children and economy. My daughter do ask that too and we replied and ask her too, we understand she just want to know you are fine and nothing more. The day I went to a friend house the same thing happen and my friend was angry with is son for asking me how are you so I had to took the pain to explain to him. Time and this generation.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by UjSizzle(f): 9:51am On Jun 08, 2017
falcon01:
Welcome to nairaland the place where you cant comfortably crack joke about another tribe due to tribalism.
You haven't met the social media police yet? You ain't seen nothing. NL is even small. Try it on Facebook today and people will send you sub from multiple accounts.
Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by Orevamona(f): 9:52am On Jun 08, 2017
That's how my HOD sent me home for simply saying how are you sir n how was your night,the man just got angry ohh,hubby was like you nor get respect,did not know that How are you is an insult oh[color=#990000][/color]
Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by WORLDPEACE(m): 9:52am On Jun 08, 2017
Hawa me!!!
Hawa me!!!
Hawa me!!!
Your faaaaddddaaaaa hawa you!!!
Useless chudren with no home training!!!!!!!!!!
Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by Nobody: 9:53am On Jun 08, 2017
DavidEsq:

U even remember the date sef :'
E clear say the peeling for ur yansh no be here
I even get stretch mark for yansh sef. I gats record the date.
Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by suave659(m): 9:54am On Jun 08, 2017
grin
Re: How Nigerians React To The " How Are You?" Question. by kinibigdeal(m): 9:54am On Jun 08, 2017
Evablizin:
Lols,most of our elders are backward in terms of understanding the word how are you,therefore i dare not use this word any time i see them,imagine you are permitted to ask them how are you in our native language but with english you are doomed

When you see a Yoruba elder in a public bus, kindly greet him or her bawo ni

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos: Rams In Fighting Contest In Lagos / 9 Major News /lines That Can Make An Average Naija Guy Go Gaga - Meme Collection / Joke Section 2009 Awards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.