Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:33 PM

Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? (3647 Views)

As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn / Why Are Igbo Women And Men So Beautiful And Handsome In This Part Of The World / Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by aariwa(m): 2:53am On Jul 28, 2017
Ngo40:

Brother,
Now in order to defend Nigeria in response to her comment, you made a gross generalization about the U.S.
She is not the only Nigerian that has voiced those words before.
I think it's fair and honest to say that communal and familial bonds are stronger in Nigeria (and other foreign countries) largely due in part to the "lack" of modern conveniences...with all due respect.
Let those modern conveniences be more readily available, and things would be vastly different.
Some things are a matter of circumstance and not choice...to be honest.
It pains me to see Nigerians so westernized to the extent that they are...just based on what is seen on television.
May I give you some advice?
If you want to defend Nigeria, (which is understandable), please try not to insult another country in order to make a point.
There is no country without crime.Many areas are safe in Nigeria while many others are crime infested but what you read in the media is exaggerated because Nigerians love reading bad things about their own country more than the good ones.If Nigerian journalists were in u.s they would prefer their head offices to be in Inglewood Chicago, downtown Baltimore, Oakland, Watts California etc so that they can splash pictures of crime victims on their frontpages.On the igbos and the rest of Nigeria I think if you read history you will understand many things about the igbo People .Igbos are very spiritual people even before the advent of the British people.Igbos left traditional religion and embraced Christianity wholeheartedly more than 100 years ago because the white missionaries got them with a message that animal sacrifice for atonement of sins are waste of resources and time years and that Jesus had already done that by dying on the cross and all they needed was just to believe.This is the reason why igbo race has one of the highest numbers of practicing Christians in Africa today.Its almost like an abomination to tell an igbo person that you don't believe in Jesus.Igbo people are the most prosperous race in black Africa(there are many igbos blacksheeps who couldn't compete fairly and are now criminals and drug merchants across world) Juxtapose these assertions with the fact that the British colonialists imposed a predominantly Muslim group called hausa fulanis to keep igbos in check and control the political system for almost 60 years now.Igbos feel enslaved by the hausa fulanis with the help of the British politically and economically. During the slave trade one common fact was found about many igbo slaves in Virginia, south Carolina and west indies;their rebellion and suicide rate was very high and they always like singing while working in the plantations in order to endure the sorrowful condition they found themselves in. The result being that since those Muslims believe in a feudal system of of government and not business growth as the igbos Nigeria will always be prone to agitations from igbos for a separate country.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 3:14am On Jul 28, 2017
aariwa:
There is no country without crime.Many areas are safe in Nigeria while many others are crime infested but what you read in the media is exaggerated because Nigerians love reading bad things about their own country more than the good ones.If Nigerian journalists were in u.s they would prefer their head offices to be in Inglewood Chicago, downtown Baltimore, Oakland, Watts California etc so that they can splash pictures of crime victims on their frontpages.On the igbos and the rest of Nigeria I think if you read history you will understand many things about the igbo People .Igbos are very spiritual people even before the advent of the British people.Igbos left traditional religion and embraced Christianity wholeheartedly more than 100 years ago because the white missionaries got them with a message that animal sacrifice for atonement of sins are waste of resources and time years and that Jesus had already done that by dying on the cross and all they needed was just to believe.This is the reason why igbo race has one of the highest numbers of practicing Christians in Africa today.Its almost like an abomination to tell an igbo person that you don't believe in Jesus.Igbo people are the most prosperous race in black Africa(there are many igbos blacksheeps who couldn't compete fairly and are now criminals and drug merchants across world) Juxtapose these assertions with the fact that the British colonialists imposed a predominantly Muslim group called hausa fulanis to keep igbos in check and control the political system for almost 60 years now.Igbos feel enslaved by the hausa fulanis with the help of the British politically and economically. During the slave trade one common fact was found about many igbo slaves in Virginia, south Carolina and west indies;their rebellion and suicide rate was very high and they always like singing while working in the plantations in order to endure the sorrowful condition they found themselves in. The result being that since those Muslims believe in a feudal system of of government and not business growth as the igbos Nigeria will always be prone to agitations from igbos for a separate country.

Thank you brother for this brief history. It was enlightening.
I am half Igbo and I do agree with you about a lot of what you said pertaining to the group.
My apologies if I came off rude..but it seemed that you lashed out at her for the comment she made, but kinda judged the U.S. in the process.
I see you know about some crime-ridden areas in the U.S.
But let me say this about Chicago...it's the "South" side of Chicago that has the most violent crimes.
Oakland, CA has a pretty large black population, but it is not as bad as Inglewood, Watts and Compton ( all cities in California).
Was wondering if you have you ever been to any of the cities you mentioned?
Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 3:16am On Jul 28, 2017
From a northern point of view I feel like everything started when these people decided to stage the first Nigerian coup in 1966 killing two revered Northern leaders along with many others, in the process destroying any goodwill the north will ever have for them. Naturally a few months later there were reprisals and these people decided to play victims. And that I believe Nigeria never recovered from that.

However, I was not raised to hate them and as a matter of fact no northerner is raised to hate any igbo person. Fact of the matter is if you stay out of our business we really and truly do not care about you. We know you're different but we don't care.

Now what really makes you hate them as a person is when you go to a different country and Nigerians are persecuted as criminals because of the actions of these people. Our image, stereotype and everything has been molded from that of igbos and people hate Nigerians for that reason.

Thankfully, we don't look like them and people notice, so you have two choices: Educate them about Nigerian ethnicity with the whole "it's them not us" speech or just claim another country. Imagine, having to claim another nationality because you're afraid of the picture these people have painted.

This is when you realise this ethnic group has institutionalized crime and have no values or morals at all. I can never respect that. Heck, these people can't even talk without shouting, anywhere you go when an igbo person speaks you can hear him, I just bow my head in shame. Did I mention the partying? I try to figure out residents with few igbos as possible but they are like a plague. Just a week ago a bunch of them stopped the whole block from sleeping, the music and shouting I could hear vividly even though they were a few floors up. Why won't they hate "Nigerians"? Why should we have to suffer along. Here our differences become even clearer.

Well, apologies to the few decent igbos out there.

And when they go everywhere bragging about their business exploits I laugh and boil at the same time. And when they whine about being exploited or cheated in Nigeria same thing happens.

Solution? And I feel this is the most popular thought in the north, give them their country and nationality and let the sulking end. Period!

This is my point of view anyway.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 3:18am On Jul 28, 2017
Ersan:
From a northern point of view I feel like everything started when these bums decided to stage the first Nigerian coup in 1966 killing two revered Nigerian leaders along with many others, in the process destroying any goodwill the north will ever have for them. Naturally a few months later there were reprisals and these bums decided to play victims. And that I believe Nigeria never recovered from that.

However, I was not raised to hate them and as a matter of fact no northerner is raised to hate about igbo person. Fact of the matter is if you stay out of our business we really and truly do not care about. We know you're different but we don't care.

Now what really makes you hate them as a person is when you go to a different country and Nigerians are persecuted as criminals because of the actions of these people. Our image, stereotype and everything has been molded from that of igbos and people hate Nigerians for that reason.

Thankfully, we don't look like them and people notice, so you have two choices: Educate them about Nigerian ethnicity with the whole "it's them not us" speech or just claim another country. Imagine, having to claim another nationality because you're afraid of the picture these people have painted.

This is when you realise this ethnic group has institutionalized crime and have no values or morals at all. I can never respect that. Heck, these people can't even talk without shouting, anywhere you go when an igbo person speaks you can hear him, I just bow my head in shame. Did I mention the partying? I try to figure out residents with few igbos as possible but they are like a plague. Just a week ago a bunch of them stopped the whole block from sleeping, the music and shouting I could hear vividly even though they were a few floors up.

Well, apologies to the few decent igbos out there.

And when they go everywhere bragging about their business I laugh and boil at the same time. And when they whine about being exploited or cheated in Nigeria same thing happens.

Solution? And I feel this is the most popular thought in the north, give them their country and nationality and let the sulking end. Period!

This is my point of view anyway.

Wow brother...
Really? Are you calling people names? undecided
Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 3:20am On Jul 28, 2017
Ngo40:

Wow brother...
Really? Are you calling people names? undecided

Names?
Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 3:21am On Jul 28, 2017
Ersan:

Names?

From a northern point of view I feel like everything started when these bums decided to stage the first Nigerian coup in 1966 killing two revered Nigerian leaders along with many others, in the process destroying any goodwill the north will ever have for them. Naturally a few months later there were reprisals and these bums decided to play victims. And that I believe Nigeria never recovered from that.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 3:22am On Jul 28, 2017
Ngo40:

Fixed.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by aariwa(m): 3:30am On Jul 28, 2017
atmy1:
Liar! The igbos only succeed in yorubaland because the yorubas are accomodating and sophisticated plus we like to leave the small businesses for the illiterate ibo traders while we chase the big business of becoming technocrats and intellectuals. If the ibos are so rich, how many of them are in the top 10 richest in naija. The ibos think everything can be achieved with chestbeating but they lack diplomacy. The yoruba are always ready to work with them and help them but we wont bend to them in the process because we have superior intellect. The igbos dont have history or a sense of nationalism and they act without thinking most times. At a time when the yoruba and benin were building large empires the ibos were living in villages like bushmen. They dont even know where they come from and they are confused. Ask an ibo man what his great grandfather was doing 150yrs ago and he will say they came from Israel. Until you humble yourselves we the yoruba cannot help u. We have done enough for u giving u shelter and means to a livelihood and we have ever been peaceful to u never atacking u or abusing u but u are bitter because anytime u try to dominate us u find out we just beat ur ass without even fighting lol.
Very false and untrue cos I have never heard any igbo man say he was given land for free in the west.I am from Anambra but since I was born I have never seen a house owned by a Yoruba man in my state meaning that in practice the igbos believe more in one Nigeria.How many Yoruba or hausa billionaire made his money without patronage from corrupt presidents through Niger delta oil.Igbos have been excluded from govt since 1966 until Jonathan era when igbos saw some few shambles of what oil money tastes like

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by aariwa(m): 3:36am On Jul 28, 2017
Ngo40:

Thank you brother for this brief history. It was enlightening.
I am half Igbo and I do agree with you about a lot of what you said pertaining to the group.
My apologies if I came off rude..but it seemed that you lashed out at her for the comment she made, but kinda judged the U.S. in the process.
I see you know about some crime-ridden areas in the U.S.
But let me say this about Chicago...it's the "South" side of Chicago that has the most violent crimes.
Oakland, CA has a pretty large black population, but it is not as bad as Inglewood, Watts and Compton ( all cities in California).
Was wondering if you have you ever been to any of the cities you mentioned?
Okay you are welcome .I have been to Chicago briefly .the greyhound bus station area and few places there just 2 or 3 nights.There is Englewood in Chicago south with very very high crime statistics. Infact 90% of the crime you read about Chicago is coming from that particular area of 97,000 people. Google it .3 people were shot today ;though trump said people get shot everyday there (don't know if his assertion is true)
Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 3:44am On Jul 28, 2017
aariwa:
Very false and untrue cos I have never heard any igbo man say he was given land for free in the west.I am from Anambra but since I was born I have never seen a house owned by a Yoruba man in my state meaning that in practice the igbos believe more in one Nigeria.How many Yoruba or hausa billionaire made his money without patronage from corrupt presidents through Niger delta oil Igbos have been excluded from govt since 1966 until Jonathan era when igbos saw some few shambles of what oil money tastes like

Prominent Hausa families have been making money from trade long before your people knew what clothes are or Nigeria knew it had oil.

Heck even dangote until recently never ventured into oil, his grand father, at some point the richest man in west Africa didn't either.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by aariwa(m): 3:50am On Jul 28, 2017
Ersan:

Prominent Hausa families have been making money from trade long before your people knew what clothes are or Nigeria knew it had oil.

Heck even dangote until recently never ventured into oil, his grand father, at some point the richest man in west Africa didn't either.

He was rich like many other Nigerian rich men but became phenomenal when he learnt how to play the game of trade monopoly starting out from the babanginda regime till today.He still buys his forex at less than 200 naira while his peers spend more on that

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 3:59am On Jul 28, 2017
aariwa:
He was rich like many other Nigerian rich men but became phenomenal when he learnt how to play the game of trade monopoly starting out from the babanginda regime till today.He still buys his forex at less than 200 naira while his peers spend more on that

That's part of business. Is there any business man that doesn't rent seek? Same goes for your igbo brothers.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 8:43am On Jul 28, 2017
Ngo40:

Brother,
Now in order to defend Nigeria in response to her comment, you made a gross generalization about the U.S...

Although he has given you good information, remember much of it is false pride. You will never risk your life to leave the US. You will never run a love scam or go into a fake marriage to leave your country. In all of your 40 years, you have never felt compelled to flee the US for greener pastures. There is not one single American citizen risking anything to leave their country to go to Nigeria. So regardless of what he is saying, use your common sense.
Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jul 28, 2017
aariwa:
Okay you are welcome .I have been to Chicago briefly .the greyhound bus station area and few places there just 2 or 3 nights.There is Englewood in Chicago south with very very high crime statistics. Infact 90% of the crime you read about Chicago is coming from that particular area of 97,000 people. Google it .3 people were shot today ;though trump said people get shot everyday there (don't know if his assertion is true)

I have folks that live there (in nice areas). Been there several times so I know about the crime is in that city (which is the 3rd largest city in the U.S.). I wouldn't doubt that someone is shot everyday, although I can't verify that either.
There are parts that are crime-ridden...but there are some very beautiful places in that city. However, some of the stats (according to my folks) are a little over-blown, due to politics playing a role (due to it being former president Obama's hailing from there).
Can't live there due to the very harsh winters....which are a beast!
Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 28, 2017
FortuneTeller:

Although he has given you good information, remember much of it is false pride. You will never risk your life to leave the US. You will never run a love scam or go into a fake marriage to leave your country. In all of your 40 years, you have never felt compelled to flee the US for greener pastures. There is not one single American citizen risking anything to leave their country to go to Nigeria. So regardless of what he is saying, use your common sense.

Although you seemed cool, then rubbed me the wrong way, several months ago--when we first crossed paths--I have to give you credit for some of what you wrote here. I even stated some months ago when I first joined NL, that I originally had no inclination to visit Nigeria...cause I felt that the U.S. was enough for me. I was satisfied with what my dad told me.
However, I have recently, in the last 1-2 years, wanted to visit my homeland...and see my folks there. My blood is over there. I share two "homelands".
I will, absolutely, be visiting Nigeria (can't reveal the date--but it has been set).
I just appreciate folks' sincere honesty and don't deal with folks fraudulently and expect the same in return (although that doesn't happen a lot). I ventured onto this site (through Google) and have really enjoyed it...despite a few challenges. I have learned so much! I literally laugh every single day at the things said. Cause some of the stuff is what my dad says.....like for instance the word "useless". My dad uses that word almost every day.....so funny to me.
Now I won't paint the whole of Nigeria with a broad stroke. I know that there is a small percentage of Nigerian men (maybe 25-30 percent) who are not into the "romance scam" hustle. They exist....
As we say here in the Southern U.S., "I didn't fall off of the turnip truck yesterday"!
So I find some of the things that have been said to me as hilarious...that's why I have posted my view on the "romance" aspect a few times on NL (under my old moniker also)....
I have to give the brother credit who recently mentioned me on the thread in this forum here. He tried...he was bold and put it all out there.
Someone else (the original O.G brother) did the same thing...so credit to him also wink
It's unfortunate, but the hustle is real....it's just that I don't want to be a "part" of that hustle.
But I also know when something or someone is "sincere".....and know how to respond accordingly.
Brothers need to do things the right way and see that they can be blessed.
As I have matured to "40" blessed years (which seems to be a death sentence in Nigeria..lol), I have made many mistakes, and am still learning.
But I have a God that is with me....and leading me..... smiley
Sorry so long...you probably didn't want to read all of this, but I needed to write it.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Holocene(m): 8:51pm On Jul 28, 2017
Ngo40:

Brother,
Now in order to defend Nigeria in response to her comment, you made a gross generalization about the U.S.
She is not the only Nigerian that has voiced those words before.
I think it's fair and honest to say that communal and familial bonds are stronger in Nigeria (and other foreign countries) largely due in part to the "lack" of modern conveniences...with all due respect.
Let those modern conveniences be more readily available, and things would be vastly different.
Some things are a matter of circumstance and not choice...to be honest.
It pains me to see Nigerians so westernized to the extent that they are...just based on what is seen on television.
May I give you some advice?
If you want to defend Nigeria, (which is understandable), please try not to insult another country in order to make a point.

I beg to differ with your point here. Americans are very individualistic and most dont care about their immediate families. Africans are more family oriented not because we lack the socalled modern infrastructure. The laws against hitting your child and other so-called modern laws such as gay marriage and stuffs have made the US less family oriented
Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jul 28, 2017
Holocene:

I beg to differ with your point here. Americans are very individualistic and most dont care about their immediate families. Africans are more family oriented not because we lack the socalled modern infrastructure. The laws against hitting your child and other so-called modern laws such as gay marriage and stuffs have made the US less family oriented

Ok brother,
Wasn't trying to be rude.
I would agree that Americans have lost the sense of "family" for the last century or so.
But you need to ask yourself the question "why"? Is it the culture that Americans live in?
Cause it wasn't always like this in America...."family" was at one point in time of importance.
As society progresses, there seems to be an "attack" on the whole idea of family in the U.S.
The family has broken down and new ways of forming families has emerged....I do agree with you on that.
The "dog-eat-dog" world of consumerism...and the drive to have the next and greatest new gadget (which companies keep producing every year or in some cases every few months it seems) causes many Americans to work endlessly in order to get those things.
So family becomes the sacrifice.
I'm very aware that Nigerians--in fact Africans as a whole (as well as other continents with "people of color"wink value family. I certainly agree with that.
But many developing countries just don't have the "distraction" if I may call it that, of abundant resources that would take them away from their family.
I would think that the indigenous people really have not lost the essence of community since they have the least resources of all...and they appear quite content regardless.
So you think beating folks is a good thing?
I read daily about house-maids, wives, children, siblings, etc., being "beaten" to near death in many instances (the Nigerian "brand" of beating--not a light slap) by some particular person and I think that is not the solution.
I cringe when I see videos of folks slapping and punching folks in the face....it's stomach-turning.
Nigeria imprisons homosexuals for a minimum of 14 years if caught, tried and proven guilty (I think )....yet that still hasn't eradicated the increasing, homosexual problem that I read about on NL.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 10:21am On Jul 29, 2017
Igbos are hated because of their dominant mentality and the way they voice it out openly. To an Igbo man everything is competition fair and square. But u know most tribes in Nigeria are wired differently and that tends to breed hate when one does what he is naturally accustomed to.

As an Igbo man when we get successful we get over happy and make boast of our spoil (a mentality ingrained in our DNA) but many tribe like the Yoruba and Hausa see it as insulting but this is what we do for fun. Like most argument we do have in school then is always major why an Nnewi born is wiser than others in Igbo land and their wisdom is stupidness in Nnewi (a statement which might be true then but not now cause many has woken up to become better and wiser than an Nnewi born). This were statement made by our forefathers to make people wake up from sleep and embrace the wise and hardworking part of Igbo land.. But other part is Nigeria see such as a big neglect and insult.

So I believe Nigeria is not helping igbos but instead denigrating its value and pride.

That's why I support Biafra is some way.it would save many lives in the future cos I don't see igbos changing this character in Nearest future.
Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Holocene(m): 11:56pm On Aug 01, 2017
Ngo40:

Ok brother,
Wasn't trying to be rude.
I would agree that Americans have lost the sense of "family" for the last century or so.
But you need to ask yourself the question "why"? Is it the culture that Americans live in?
Cause it wasn't always like this in America...."family" was at one point in time of importance.
As society progresses, there seems to be an "attack" on the whole idea of family in the U.S.
The family has broken down and new ways of forming families has emerged....I do agree with you on that.
The "dog-eat-dog" world of consumerism...and the drive to have the next and greatest new gadget (which companies keep producing every year or in some cases every few months it seems) causes many Americans to work endlessly in order to get those things.
So family becomes the sacrifice.
I'm very aware that Nigerians--in fact Africans as a whole (as well as other continents with "people of color"wink value family. I certainly agree with that.
But many developing countries just don't have the "distraction" if I may call it that, of abundant resources that would take them away from their family.
I would think that the indigenous people really have not lost the essence of community since they have the least resources of all...and they appear quite content regardless.
So you think beating folks is a good thing?
I read daily about house-maids, wives, children, siblings, etc., being "beaten" to near death in many instances (the Nigerian "brand" of beating--not a light slap) by some particular person and I think that is not the solution.
I cringe when I see videos of folks slapping and punching folks in the face....it's stomach-turning.
Nigeria imprisons homosexuals for a minimum of 14 years if caught, tried and proven guilty (I think )....yet that still hasn't eradicated the increasing, homosexual problem that I read about on NL.

Lemme ask you a question....have you lived close to any immigrant Nigerian family in the US. People come over to the states but the attachment of family responsibilities which they acquired as African kids never leave them. They still send money home and are closely knitted with their families back home...
Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 2:43am On Aug 02, 2017
Holocene:

Lemme ask you a question....have you lived close to any immigrant Nigerian family in the US. People come over to the states but the attachment of family responsibilities which they acquired as African kids never leave them. They still send money home and are closely knitted with their families back home...

Only 1 Nigerian family was close to our family where we lived in the south.
In my city growing up, there were only 2 Nigerian families...
I know it seems weird, but there are certain pockets/states/cities in the U.S....which have very large Nigerian populations..(HoustonTexas, Baltimore Maryland, New York, D.C., Chicago Illinois etc).
Your last statement is very true...i agree.
Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 6:18am On Aug 02, 2017
EzeNwaanyi:
I was born in the USA. My father is Nigerian. Igbo to be more specific. For the past few years I have been planning to relocate to Nigeria at some point in my life, but with this biafra situation going on I'm kind of fearful for my safety. Housa and Yoruba people seem to hate igbo people and I just want to know why. I love Nigeria and I think that all of our people are great regardless of what tribe they are from. Nigeria is a great country with great potential but the division there is a bit discouraging and disappointing. Please someone explain to me why we are divided instead of sticking together.

Do u really want to know the problem?

Igbos are very abrasive. Newtons law of motion states dt for every action, theres an equal and opposite reaction. Its a fact of life.

When a person comes to ur domain and tells u to do ABC, since ABC is not in ur best interest, u refuse. According to normal social behaviour, u try and influence or convince the person to do ABC or just walk away on the issue. You dont insult the persons father and mother, call him an ugly lazy coward, place memes all over d internet insulting the tribe, Gloat about how dt person will soon die at the hands of d percieved enemy, manipulate other tribes to hate dt person by coming up with lie after lie, look for creative deragotry names to label the tribe, rewrite the tribes history, going as far as distorting facts on wikipedia. You can check all the igbo biafra websites and go through all d insults and hatred on there. You will NEVER see any such conversation on any oduduwa website promoting yoruba culture or identity.

Then when the tribe starts returning the insults, you start making statements like "theyre jealous", "theyre nothing & have nothing dts why they hate us". Its insult upon more insult. Feigning victimhood after starting the hatred.

So who are u not to take the insult? You need to keep accepting it with pride since uve decided to dish it out with pride. Its not just yorubas and hausas dt have bn labelled by igbos. Its pretty much every single place they go to and cant have their way, they start wt d predictable cycle of insults begetting insults. Its happened in uganda, south africa, ghana. It will keep happening cos nobody on earth is anybodys fool. Igbos would do well to start respecting other people. If they didnt teach them at home theyll learn it outside.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 7:23am On Aug 02, 2017
bigfrancis21:

It's a long story, a very long story. The tribal problem in Nigeria started long before Nigerian independence. Ever since the coming of the British, the Igbos started migrating out of their region in droves. Igbos are very migratory, as you probably know, migrating out to distant lands for economic opportunities to survive. [b] You know Nnamdi Azikiwe? He was born in 1903 or so. Where? In Zungeru, up up north. That is, as of the beginning of the 20th century his parents from Onitsha were already living in the north. [b]Being very open to change and western education, they took up many available positions the British colonial government had open, or established successful small-scale businesses and sometimes lived better than the natives of these foreign lands. Of course after a while, the natives would have enough of what seems to be foreigners doing better than them in their own land. It was also wrongly perceived as 'domination', that is the Ibo foreigner 'dominating' others in their own domain. However, from the Igbo point of view, they see it as competition and the desire to be successful, coming from a culture that largely emphasizes success, drive and 'ibu mmadu' (literally, to be somebody or to be successful). The Igbo were also in the English-speaking region of Cameroon (formerly part of Nigeria until 1961 or so) and the people complained of 'domination' by Igbos because they were everywhere in the seat of government and held strategic positions, mainly by merit because they oftentimes had the qualifications needed which the natives as of then did not have, and this seeming 'fear of Igbo domination' was the main reason English-speaking Cameroon left Nigeria to join French-speaking Cameroon, thus effectively destabilizing the Igbo hegemony in that area (Igbos automatically were no more citizens but foreigners and most laws were re-written to benefit citizens of cameroon alone etc). Even though, English-speaking cameroon today isn't having it any better, as they are being oppressed by their French-speaking counterparts simply because they speak English. [/b]Most of them speak English (with close to Nigerian accent), pidgin English, their native language and sometimes. French. These are some events up till 1960. You probably know about the civil war and Nigeria's history till today, however that 'fear of Igbo domination' still lingers in the minds of Nigerians till today. Other tribes feel if Igbos are not 'checked', they'd rise to 'dominate' others [/b]. The Igbos, on the other hand, feel they've been marginalized since the civil war primarily to keep them down. And it has been going back and forth ever since.

Lol! Predictable. Here we go again wt the bolded. Its very strange how a set of pple seem to have a collective warped mentality. I used to think it was a real psychological problem where a superiority complex is trying to mask an underlying inferiority complex. But d rate at which u guys throw these words around after u start a problem makes me think ur just plain evil and manipulative.

Going by this bolded write up u would think dt d igbos were some great beacon of light in a wilderness. Christ! Take a breath from all these self aggrandisement. Jeez! There was nothing of note achieved by the eastern region of nigeria in 1960 or before 1960. The 1st tv station in africa started in the west, the 1st bank, university was in the west and every other educational milestone. The north had d groundnut pyramids (google them) dt were practically helping their economy and even whites went to see them as tourists. (I feel really stupid having to mention all these but I have to grovel in this mud with u so u dont decieve people). The eastern region wasnt as successful as the 2 other regions, dts why u had a lot of economic migration.

Now u mentioned azikiwe growing up in the north, if d north had such a big problem wt igbos why did they keep welcoming them and allowing them sell in their markets etc. The truth is dt the igbos wanted more (greed), this was evident because azikiwe left the eastern region, came all d way to d west to contest for western premier against awolowo his supposed friend (who needs enemies when u have such a friend). Just because he percieved the west as rich he wanted to contest as governor over an ethnic nationality he knew nothing about. And he forbade that from happening in the eastern region by the way.

Nnamdi Azikiwe teamed up wt the north and became president while tafawa balewa (a northerner) was prime minister. He spent the early part of the 60's preaching about a unitary govt, where any ethnic nationality could work in any region and resources shared by all with a strong federal government. The northerners and the westerners rejected d idea and liked the way the regions were ethnic nationalities. What did nnamdi azikiwe do? Decided to kill all the countrys leaders.

The january 1966 coup, where a group of majority igbo soldiers ambushed and killed the prime minister, the western premier, all the administrative ministers in kaduna, lagos and ibadan. They only spared the eastern premier. And conveniently nnamdi azikiwe was held bk in a meeting abroad. The igbo military president, ironsi, immediately turned the country to a unitary government. Even ojukwu, the then governor of the eastern region started asking easterners to apply for positions all over the country. The new igbo leaders spared the coup plotters. Imagine?? (They must think everyone else is a fool). The igbos in d north started gloating over these killings & rubbing it in d face of the northerners dt nzeogwu has killed d useless sardauna (I never believed these accounts when I was younger but wt d things ive seen since 2015 I can only imagine the schadenfreude they exhibited). Dts what caused the pogrom.

So after doing all that u didnt see a civil war loomin? After spilling first blood? The 1st coup, where igbos killed 15 nigerian leaders, was what caused the civil war. Not that nonsense u wrote up there. I wonder what there was to envy. Bunch of liars. I swear if these pple tell me good morning I have to really check dt its morning. See d way he just reconstructed d whole thing - d country went to war cos they were jealous of us.

SMH

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by bigfrancis21: 6:34pm On Aug 02, 2017
janellemonae:

Lol! Predictable. Here we go again wt the bolded. Its very strange how a set of pple seem to have a collective warped mentality. I used to think it was a real psychological problem where a superiority complex is trying to mask an underlying inferiority complex. But d rate at which u guys throw these words around after u start a problem makes me think ur just plain evil and manipulative.

Going by this bolded write up u would think dt d igbos were some great beacon of light in a wilderness. Christ! Take a breath from all these self aggrandisement. Jeez! There was nothing of note achieved by the eastern region of nigeria in 1960 or before 1960. The 1st tv station in africa started in the west, the 1st bank, university was in the west and every other educational milestone. The north had d groundnut pyramids (google them) dt were practically helping their economy and even whites went to see them as tourists. (I feel really stupid having to mention all these but I have to grovel in this mud with u so u dont decieve people). The eastern region wasnt as successful as the 2 other regions, dts why u had a lot of economic migration.

Now u mentioned azikiwe growing up in the north, if d north had such a big problem wt igbos why did they keep welcoming them and allowing them sell in their markets etc. The truth is dt the igbos wanted more (greed), this was evident because azikiwe left the eastern region, came all d way to d west to contest for western premier against awolowo his supposed friend (who needs enemies when u have such a friend). Just because he percieved the west as rich he wanted to contest as governor over an ethnic nationality he knew nothing about. And he forbade that from happening in the eastern region by the way.

Nnamdi Azikiwe teamed up wt the north and became president while tafawa balewa (a northerner) was prime minister. He spent the early part of the 60's preaching about a unitary govt, where any ethnic nationality could work in any region and resources shared by all with a strong federal government. The northerners and the westerners rejected d idea and liked the way the regions were ethnic nationalities. What did nnamdi azikiwe do? Decided to kill all the countrys leaders.

The january 1966 coup, where a group of majority igbo soldiers ambushed and killed the prime minister, the western premier, all the administrative ministers in kaduna, lagos and ibadan. They only spared the eastern premier. And conveniently nnamdi azikiwe was held bk in a meeting abroad. The igbo military president, ironsi, immediately turned the country to a unitary government. Even ojukwu, the then governor of the eastern region started asking easterners to apply for positions all over the country. The new igbo leaders spared the coup plotters. Imagine?? (They must think everyone else is a fool). The igbos in d north started gloating over these killings & rubbing it in d face of the northerners dt nzeogwu has killed d useless sardauna (I never believed these accounts when I was younger but wt d things ive seen since 2015 I can only imagine the schadenfreude they exhibited). Dts what caused the pogrom.

So after doing all that u didnt see a civil war loomin? After spilling first blood? The 1st coup, where igbos killed 15 nigerian leaders, was what caused the civil war. Not that nonsense u wrote up there. I wonder what there was to envy. Bunch of liars. I swear if these pple tell me good morning I have to really check dt its morning. See d way he just reconstructed d whole thing - d country went to war cos they were jealous of us.

SMH

All that you wrote up there is just the way you see it, I am very plain and straight to the point and I am able to give the op just exactly how other Nigerians feel towards south easterners, not how I myself would see south easterners had I been non-Igbo. This very same fear of Igbo domination led to the breakaway of English-speaking cameroon from Nigeria and I recently spoke with some English-speaking Cameroonians currently undergoing oppression in Cameroon about rejoining Nigeria and they felt it is not an option due to being dominated by south easterners. To the average Igbo man who can be very over-ambitious, he is simply trying to be the best that he can be but to the non-Igbo man, they see him as wanting to be everywhere or domineering. The difference between you and me is that I give perspectives from both sides whereas your perspective is only one-sided. SMH

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 12:32am On Aug 03, 2017
bigfrancis21:

It's a long story, a very long story. The tribal problem in Nigeria started long before Nigerian independence. Ever since the coming of the British, the Igbos started migrating out of their region in droves. Igbos are very migratory, as you probably know, migrating out to distant lands for economic opportunities to survive. You know Nnamdi Azikiwe? He was born in 1903 or so. Where? In Zungeru, up up north. That is, as of the beginning of the 20th century his parents from Onitsha were already living in the north. Being very open to change and western education, they took up many available positions the British colonial government had open, or established successful small-scale businesses and sometimes lived better than the natives of these foreign lands. Of course after a while, the natives would have enough of what seems to be foreigners doing better than them in their own land. It was also wrongly perceived as 'domination', that is the Ibo foreigner 'dominating' others in their own domain. However, from the Igbo point of view, they see it as competition and the desire to be successful, coming from a culture that largely emphasizes success, drive and 'ibu mmadu' (literally, to be somebody or to be successful). The Igbo were also in the English-speaking region of Cameroon (formerly part of Nigeria until 1961 or so) and the people complained of 'domination' by Igbos because they were everywhere in the seat of government and held strategic positions, mainly by merit because they oftentimes had the qualifications needed which the natives as of then did not have, and this seeming 'fear of Igbo domination' was the main reason English-speaking Cameroon left Nigeria to join French-speaking Cameroon, thus effectively destabilizing the Igbo hegemony in that area (Igbos automatically were no more citizens but foreigners and most laws were re-written to benefit citizens of cameroon alone etc). Even though, English-speaking cameroon today isn't having it any better, as they are being oppressed by their French-speaking counterparts simply because they speak English. Most of them speak English (with close to Nigerian accent), pidgin English, their native language and sometimes. French. These are some events up till 1960. You probably know about the civil war and Nigeria's history till today, however that 'fear of Igbo domination' still lingers in the minds of Nigerians till today. Other tribes feel if Igbos are not 'checked', they'd rise to 'dominate' others. The Igbos, on the other hand, feel they've been marginalized since the civil war primarily to keep them down. And it has been going back and forth ever since.

"Fear of domination"? Is that what you think? LOL I'm a northerner born and raised and i have never met any northerner that has held such notions. People who do not like you don't mostly because of your generally vociferous and truculent persona yet this is not even hatred. The more ignorant ones don't like you because of religion and that is how they view every other non muslim. Generally the disdain towards you is not personal, not "fear of domination" or anything but just because you're not us and thats same for every other non northern ethnicity. Yours is heightened because like i said you tend to rub off on people the wrong way. And i think we will never embrace you because we know the hatred that boils in your hearts towards us.

But generally we don't spend our time thinking about you or what you're up to, as long as you respect us we respect you, nothing like "fear of domination" thats just a conspiracy you lot choose to dwell in. Seems you just love playing victims.

PS I know which interview you might try to bring up but that is an isolated and outdated thought as far as i know, thats just his opinion from his experience.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 11:22am On Aug 03, 2017
It is so glaring that Biafra would be a failure. Igbos can't survive without Nigeria, except they go with the Niger Delta which is impossible right now. The Igbo Nation is landlocked, without access to the sea, the soil is muddy and infertile, they don't have natural resources, and they have not developed their industries to be self-sustaining like Ogun and Lagos. The only thing they have is trade, which depends a lot on other regions. Check out how they loss the civil war; Awolowo placed a ban on trading with Biafra, including sales of food, blockaded the sea, changed the currency so that they can't sneak in and buy black market. That is all, they surrounded in less than a year. Any other region like West and North central will survive much longer because they can actually produce their own food.

Igbos know this reality and yet keep clamouring for Biafra. That's the height of stupidity

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by absoluteSuccess: 3:13pm On Aug 03, 2017
atmy1:
It is so glaring that Biafra would be a failure. Igbos can't survive without Nigeria, except they go with the Niger Delta which is impossible right now. The Igbo Nation is landlocked, without access to the sea, the soil is muddy and infertile, they don't have natural resources, and they have not developed their industries to be self-sustaining like Ogun and Lagos. The only thing they have is trade, which depends a lot on other regions. Check out how they loss the civil war; Awolowo placed a ban on trading with Biafra, including sales of food, blockaded the sea, changed the currency so that they can't sneak in and buy black market. That is all, they surrounded in less than a year. Any other region like West and North central will survive much longer because they can actually produce their own food.

Igbos know this reality and yet keep clamouring for Biafra. That's the height of stupidity

Well I don't care about the Igbo angle to the story, but of a truth, Biafra can be a success. Ogun or Lagos are not epitome of success as the Igbo can succeed in a biafran way. The Yoruba are emerging with regional growth that typified their quest and yearning for regional autonomy. Their 'cowardice' has turned to blessings in disguise.

The fact that Lagos succeed does not mean other regions in the country cannot succeed, and arguing to rouse the Igbo to angst is counterproductive: you want them to stay and you write them off, who does that? Let them go if they are hated so much. Although a people are the architect of their own misfortune, but are we to judge and hurt?

The Igbo has right to self-determination, nothing stupid about that: you only need effective persuation to make them remain steadfast in the union. No need of manipulation. As touching Awo, he wanted a united Nigeria and helped ended the civil war, but he became misunderstood with an information or propaganda like this.

Awo helped ended the Nigerian civil war, that's what should be noted, not that he helped decimated the igbo as the stereotype is: he did what is right to keep Nigeria one, not that he caused the war and armed Nigeria to kill igbos.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian American Question: Are Igbo's Hated? Why? by Nobody: 7:14am On Aug 04, 2017
bigfrancis21:

All that you wrote up there is just the way you see it, I am very plain and straight to the point and I am able to give the op just exactly how other Nigerians feel towards south easterners, not how I myself would see south easterners had I been non-Igbo. This very same fear of Igbo domination led to the breakaway of English-speaking cameroon from Nigeria and I recently spoke with some English-speaking Cameroonians currently undergoing oppression in Cameroon about rejoining Nigeria and they felt it is not an option due to being dominated by south easterners. To the average Igbo man who can be very over-ambitious, he is simply trying to be the best that he can be but to the non-Igbo man, they see him as wanting to be everywhere or domineering. The difference between you and me is that I give perspectives from both sides whereas your perspective is only one-sided. SMH

Lol! I think "trying so hard" or "wishing" to be envied would more aptly describe your opinion. Trust me u are very far from "envied", you just dont know it. Smh.

The person dt said earlier that igbos have nothing in common with yorubas is absolutely right. It seems you all live for comparing urselves to urselves (in terms of wealth) and therefore think others live that way. No wonder theres so much crime wt u guys. Such emptiness. Im sure u are confused by d fact that someone like wole soyinka is far more respected & revered than billionaire femi otedola, among yorubas. While the former is envied, the latter practically has zero influence.

Let dt penny drop.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Urhobo Women Don't Shake Hands With Men. / Traditional Marriage Rites/bride Price In Obowo, Imo State / Common Mistakes People Make While Discussing Igbo Peole.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 172
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.