Stats: 3,148,793 members, 7,802,521 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:47 PM

Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep (60358 Views)

World Sleep Day 2018: When Last Did You Sleep For 7 To 8 Hours At Night? / 8 Things That Happen To Your Body During Sex / Five Things That Make Women’s Breasts Sag Quickly (2) (3) (4)

Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by 360metrosports: 4:09pm On Jun 08, 2017
Sleeping seems like such an unremarkable event, but there is so much more to sleep than we realize. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 5 interesting things that happen when you sleep.

You Sleep in Stages

When you first fall asleep, you typically have a sleep cycle that starts with the NREM (non-rapid eye movement) stage, before you progress into a deeper NREM 2 and then NREM 3 (also called slow wave sleep). You finally land in the rapid eye movement (REM) stage of sleep, which is the stage most of your dreams occur. All these stages happen between 90 to 120 minutes, after which you wake up for like a second (most times without even realizing it) and then begin stage 1 again.

Your Body Temperature Drops

This is why it’s so easy to fall asleep when in a cool room or after a cool shower. This coolness actually mimics what your body is doing naturally, making it easier for you to immediately sleep off, because while you sleep your core temperature drops. In addition, during the REM stage of your sleep, your body is unable to thermoregulate, so if you get cold, your body won’t shiver to build up inner warmth, until you’re awake.

You’re Temporarily Paralyzed

But only for a few minutes - like 20 minutes. This paralysis usually happens during the REM stage (where most of your dreams occur). It’s what sometimes prevents you from acting out your dreams. So you might be an action hero in the dream world, jumping up and down, fighting here and there, but in the real world you’re curled up on your side, sleeping like a baby. However, the paralysis doesn’t last for very long.

Your Body Regulates Hunger Hormones When You Sleep

This is why you feel hungry when you wake up after having poor quality sleep. Unfortunately, you tend to eat higher- calorie foods when you feel this hunger, leading to weight gain. Hunger-regulating hormones are unable to work as they should when you don’t sleep well, this is why sleeping well is recommended for those who either want to keep fit or lose some weight.

Hypnagogic Jerk

This is the feeling of falling you get as you’re falling asleep or sometimes when you’re even asleep. Sometimes you can start dreaming before your body has reached the REM stage, and these jerks might occur then, in response to you acting out a dream of falling on or tripping over something. Hypnagogic jerks are more likely to happen when you’re overtired, sleep-deprived or stressed, when your brain can aggressively enter into sleep cycles before your body has had a chance to catch up.

http://www.metronaija.com/2017/06/interesting-things-that-happen-when-you.html

45 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jun 08, 2017
My only question is why we see people with blur faces in our dream but they sounds familiar yet we don't know them in real life?

I fell on my bed many times while im asleep coz my favorite spot is on the edge of the bed.. tongue

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by sunnysunny69(m): 10:58pm On Jun 08, 2017
How lucky we humans are that we sleep, some animals just can't sleep.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by phpfx(m): 10:58pm On Jun 08, 2017
so?
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Fernandowski(m): 10:58pm On Jun 08, 2017
we have wet dreams
lolzzz

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by jhydebaba(m): 10:59pm On Jun 08, 2017
Sleep is great...sweet dreams nairalander.

The other day I dreamt that I won so much money. I was very happy only for me to wake up and realized it was a dream. I no gree stand up oh, I went back to sleep.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by brixton: 10:59pm On Jun 08, 2017
Interesting

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by NobleBeer(m): 11:00pm On Jun 08, 2017
Yeah
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by JVgal(f): 11:00pm On Jun 08, 2017
Great
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Jimmyo3(m): 11:01pm On Jun 08, 2017
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by auntysimbiat(f): 11:01pm On Jun 08, 2017
Cool
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by cerowo(f): 11:02pm On Jun 08, 2017
I dnt normally sleep longer dan i wld want...wld always wake up in d middle of night

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by jmichlins(m): 11:02pm On Jun 08, 2017
Witch's come and hold you plus succubus will want to rape you. All of those is called sleep paralysis. Thank God for knowledge this thing scared the hell out of me whenever I want to sleep

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by jelil01: 11:02pm On Jun 08, 2017
Dope
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by tintingz(m): 11:02pm On Jun 08, 2017
Thank you op for this educative article.
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by klassykute(m): 11:04pm On Jun 08, 2017
Ok i dn go sleep. Kiss ego be.. abeg sm1 help mi wit that meme

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by HayZee06(m): 11:04pm On Jun 08, 2017
Why do most pple open their mouths while sleeping despite not having difficulties in breathing undecided

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by emorse(m): 11:04pm On Jun 08, 2017
Visions nko? Op no let shindren of god vex for you o.

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by seacoast(m): 11:04pm On Jun 08, 2017
Explain Sleep in respect of someone who took nine bottles of beer.

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by ExAngel007(f): 11:05pm On Jun 08, 2017
goodnyte
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Mabpaine(m): 11:05pm On Jun 08, 2017
cerowo:
I dnt normally sleep longer dan i wld want...wld always wake up in d middle of night
how can U wen U still awake by ds tym smiley

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by malakus(m): 11:05pm On Jun 08, 2017
tor
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by sorority11(m): 11:05pm On Jun 08, 2017
hmmm the study of slee is wetin? but meanwhile hunger is in the state of the mind, your stomach don't actually hurt physiologically, but it is your brain telling you a lie that your stomach is in pains. that is why after being famished for a long time and you just take one bite of your meal, the hunger stops lolz funny isnt it?

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by safarigirl(f): 11:05pm On Jun 08, 2017
I want to know why all the images have people with their mouths wide open, na so everybody dey sleep?

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jun 08, 2017
if yu r paralyzed durin sleep... y do guys cum during dere wild / wet / s#x dreams

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jun 08, 2017
wow...nice to know
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jun 08, 2017
Apparently we swallow at least 8 spiders a year whilst we sleep
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by seunny4lif(m): 11:08pm On Jun 08, 2017
jmichlins:
Witch's come and hold you plus succubus will want to rape you. All of those is called sleep paralysis. Thank God for knowledge this thing scared the hell out of me whenever I want to sleep
Not only you.

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:08pm On Jun 08, 2017
safarigirl:
I want to know why all the images have people with their mouths wide open, na so everybody dey sleep?
That's how you sleep madam Safarigirl
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by ucnwafor(m): 11:08pm On Jun 08, 2017
IamKashyBaby:
My only question is why we see people with blur faces in our dream but they sounds familiar yet we don't them in real life?

I fell on my bed many times while im asleep coz my favorite spot is the edge of the bed.. tongue
cos we are in another part of the world wen u dream, u are now half dead, half life
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Mrvirgin(m): 11:08pm On Jun 08, 2017
I also need scientists to explain these things that happen while sleeping:
1. Why do some people drool(spitting from d mouth) while others don't?
2. Why do some open their mouth while others don't.
3. Why do some close their eyes partially while others close entirely.
4. Why do some talk while sleeping?

Those With Blood Group 0+ And Genotype AA Show Yourself Here / COVID-19: Innoson Ready To Produce Ventilators & Medical Equipment / What Is Jedi Jedi Called In English Language