Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,907 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:58 AM

Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help (13533 Views)

Motorized Weeders On Wheels, Planters, Brush Cutters... / U.S. Invests N8.6 Billion To Boost Small-scale Farming In Nigeria / 5 Agribusiness You Can Start In 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by RealityShot: 2:54pm On Feb 28, 2018
ihedioramma:
What is the name of your's ?
mbano.. Too much undulations. I am looking for flat and better proximity to markets.

ohaji egbema , umuagwo...and closer to ph
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by ihedioramma: 4:30pm On Feb 28, 2018
RealityShot:
mbano.. Too much undulations. I am looking for flat and better proximity to markets.

ohaji egbema , umuagwo...and closer to ph
Ok, were am talking is closer to Anambra state (orlu zone).
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by RealityShot: 5:29pm On Feb 28, 2018
ihedioramma:
well, you have idea about the land selling details there?

i dont mind .. I was about to call up some orlu indigenes i know anyways..

i did here about some of the best oil in imo coming from orlu sometime ago..(one big market like that)
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 7:07pm On Feb 28, 2018
RealityShot:
Wow!
thank you!

i guess i will keep searching and raising funds then.

It may be nice to start small. Even 1 acre is a good idea. It is your interest and passion that will sustain you in farming.
This is especially the case for young people/ new graduates. You may not be able to save 1 million to buy land at this time, end even if you do, you'll need another million to plant and take care of the farm. So starting big may not be the best.

Start small but with passion and in few years with some luck things will be looking up.

1 Like

Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by RealityShot: 4:04pm On Mar 01, 2018
oogalabs2:

It may be nice to start small. Even 1 acre is a good idea. It is your interest and passion that will sustain you in farming.
This is especially the case for young people/ new graduates. You may not be able to save 1 million to buy land at this time, end even if you do, you'll need another million to plant and take care of the farm. So starting big may not be the best.

Start small but with passion and in few years with some luck things will be looking up.
thank you Sir..

am looking for just an acre/hectare ..
will expand as i learn the work flow.

i sure dont have "Huge" capital. But passion, YES.

i read 1 ha will give 143 trees and 4000-6000 litres yearly. Is that a reality?
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 12:49am On Mar 02, 2018
RealityShot:
thank you Sir..

am looking for just an acre/hectare ..
will expand as i learn the work flow.

i sure dont have "Huge" capital. But passion, YES.

i read 1 ha will give 143 trees and 4000-6000 litres yearly. Is that a reality?

As per produced volume, it's very dependent on how you take care of the trees.
I found that 90-95 bunches produce 25L of oil.
That's every 2-3 weeks
Those bunches can come from 40-45 trees
That's after 5 years of planting (this volume will increase as trees mature)

The idea of 1 hectare is a brilliant idea.

1 Like

Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by know: 11:23am On Mar 02, 2018
Please, where is the best time to apply fertilizer to the palm tree. Thanks.
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 4:59pm On Mar 02, 2018
know:
Please, where is the best time to apply fertilizer to the palm tree. Thanks.

It's better before the big rains start. I do fertilizer during Jan/Feb.
How big are your trees?
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by TLAX: 7:17pm On Mar 02, 2018
oogalabs2:

It's better before the big rains start. I do fertilizer during Jan/Feb.
How big are your trees?

1. How many times do you fertilize in a year?
2. At what stage do you start applying fertilizer
3. Do you sell your seedlings and how can one access it if so?
4. When you talk about caring for the trees, please explain
5. How often do they need care?
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by TLAX: 7:18pm On Mar 02, 2018
ihedioramma:

You dey reach this side? grin grin grin

Abeg what is the range for an Acre of land in this place you have mentioned? I hear also that Enugu is another good place for oil palm in the east. Ebonyi too.
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by ihedioramma: 10:07pm On Mar 02, 2018
TLAX:

You dey reach this side? grin grin grin

Abeg what is the range for an Acre of land in this place you have mentioned? I hear also that Enugu is another good place for oil palm in the east. Ebonyi too.
ONE LOVE grin grin , am all most every were they talk about making more money cheesy . The place i talk as from one million up . Ebonyi as from three hundrend thousand up .
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 12:14am On Mar 04, 2018
TLAX:

1. How many times do you fertilize in a year?
2. At what stage do you start applying fertilizer
3. Do you sell your seedlings and how can one access it if so?
4. When you talk about caring for the trees, please explain
5. How often do they need care?

1. Once every other year. I have cows in the farm and their dung helps a lot.
2. Few months after planting,I apply the 1st fertilizer to assist growth
3. I don’t sell. There are farmers who sell for N150 per nursed tree (1 year old)
4. Taking care means pruning dead fonds/ leaves
5. Ones a year when they have started fruiting. Pruning can be done during harvesting
I hope this helps.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by phoenixlor: 9:56am On Mar 06, 2018
RealityShot:

where?
how?
show me please.
Go to your village and ask, they will show you.
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by RealityShot: 7:55pm On Mar 15, 2018
phoenixlor:
Go to your village and ask, they will show you.
thats where i started..
land there is too segmented due to inheritance.

And my village is on a hill..likewise the farming lands.. Not suitable for my plans..
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by Callmeboss(m): 9:59am On Mar 16, 2018
Hi.
Am a young palm oil farmer, lives in Akwa Ibom. I do supplies of palm oil to all part of Nigeria.
No need to come over, I deliver to where you are, any quantity, affordable price. Payment is at delivery.

If interested please call or WhatsApp me
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by RealityShot: 10:49pm On Mar 21, 2018
Found it!
The gap in crude palm oil supply in Nigeria is about 0.9million tons annually!

thats imported every year.

1 hectar of palm trees produces about 5 tons
so we need about 200,000 hectars of new palm plantation to satisfy local demand!

WOW! every tree counts

https://www.proshareng.com/news/Agriculture/Fact-File-on-Crude-Palm-Oil-(CPO)-in-Nig/39032
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by Cromagnon: 6:27am On Mar 22, 2018
oogalabs2:

No. Definitely not.
I haven’t used those to full capacity but not sure if it’s even closer to that quantity .

By the way the senate is debating this on palm oil. https://orientdailynews.com.ng/agriculture/senate-seeks-ban-importation-palm/
This is a good news for palm trees farmers.
yes but bad for the nation
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 12:48am On Mar 23, 2018
Cromagnon:
yes but bad for the nation
ultimately good for the country
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by Cromagnon: 1:24am On Mar 23, 2018
oogalabs2:

ultimately good for the country
not if we refuse to enter farm
protectionism never a good idea
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by RealityShot: 9:12pm On Mar 31, 2018
Cromagnon:
not if we refuse to enter farm protectionism never a good idea
it is the successful ban on imported chicken that Boosted the poultry industry to what it is today.
So why not do same for Palm oil? No palm related products should be permitted into this country. Shikina

1 Like

Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 10:21pm On Apr 04, 2018
RealityShot:
it is the successful ban on imported chicken that
Boosted the poultry industry to what it is today.

So why not do same for Palm oil?
No palm related products should be permitted into this country.
Shikina
That's very correct. Starting a palm oil farm is far more challenging and wont stand a chance of success without a ban on importation of palm oil.
Also take note of the fact that our borders are so porous that even when importation is banned, it will be less than 50% effective.
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by RealityShot: 6:59pm On Apr 06, 2018
oogalabs2:

That's very correct. Starting a palm oil farm is far more challenging and wont stand a chance of success without a ban on importation of palm oil.
Also take note of the fact that our borders are so porous that even when importation is banned, it will be less than 50% effective.
very true!
I dare say : we have No border control in this country.

What bothers me is how imported oil can still make a good 30-65% profit despite the 35% additional import duty on it.
This is why even official imports are soaring.

Government should look into why local palm industry
produces oil at a higher cost and take steps to reduce production costs.

Why will oil from Benin Republic be cheaper than our local oil?

This shows serious fundamental issues.
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 6:46pm On Apr 08, 2018
RealityShot:
very true!
I dare say : we have No border control in this country.

What bothers me is how imported oil can still make a good 30-65% profit despite the 35% additional import duty on it.
This is why even official imports are soaring.

Government should look into why local palm industry
produces oil at a higher cost and take steps to reduce production costs.

Why will oil from Benin Republic be cheaper than our local oil?

This shows serious fundamental issues.

My farm is close to the border and you will marvel at what the custom officials do in that neighborhood.
They basically work hand in hand with the smugglers. All of this in the open, nothing is hidden.
So if govt pass a law to ban imported oil, at least it will reduce those cheap and occasionally adulterated oil in the country.
And as i wrote above, it will encourage new local farms to spring up.
Young graduates can start a farm with little money and expect to make some decent livelihood.

1 Like

Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by RealityShot: 6:57pm On Apr 08, 2018
oogalabs2:

My farm is close to the border and you will marvel at what the custom officials do in that neighborhood.
They basically work hand in hand with the smugglers. All of this in the open, nothing is hidden.
So if govt pass a law to ban imported oil, at least it will reduce those cheap and occasionally adulterated oil in the country.
And as i wrote above, it will encourage new local farms to spring up.
Young graduates can start a farm with little money and expect to make some decent livelihood.
but how do we overcome the Land access challenge?

As for customs; we don't have enough personnel and technology to cover our borders yet the existing officers are doing what you just described and making things worse.

It doesn't matter if their oil is adulterated or not: NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT should ban importation to increase EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES.

I have some money to invest.. But only land will swallow it all, so I keep saving. I don't want to buy land and wait years to plant on the small piece of land.
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 5:16am On Apr 14, 2018
RealityShot:
but how do we overcome the Land access challenge?

As for customs; we don't have enough personnel and technology to cover our borders yet the existing officers are doing what you just described and making things worse.

It doesn't matter if their oil is adulterated or not: NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT should ban importation to increase EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES.

I have some money to invest.. But only land will swallow it all, so I keep saving. I don't want to buy land and wait years to plant on the small piece of land.

In an earlier post last year, I wrote that the best land to buy are the so called "far" lands. They are cheap and not difficult to acquire because Nigerians[right][/right] dont like to buy those kind of lands.
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by RealityShot: 8:30am On Apr 14, 2018
oogalabs2:

In an earlier post last year, I wrote that the best land to buy are the so called "far" lands. They are cheap and not difficult to acquire because Nigerians[right][/right] dont like to buy those kind of lands.
yes you did... And that seems to be why it's so hard find an agent with such lands around here.

Am still looking though. Thank you

How is sales going?
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 10:38pm On Apr 15, 2018
RealityShot:
yes you did... And that seems to be why it's so hard find an agent with such lands around here.

Am still looking though. Thank you

How is sales going?
Supply is holding constant. Looks like palm oil price may not pass 10k this year. That's per 25L
There is often a constant market to sell if one doesn't mind the low price.
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by Cromagnon: 10:04pm On Apr 20, 2018
RealityShot:
it is the successful ban on imported chicken that
Boosted the poultry industry to what it is today.
we pay more for chicken than imported one
protection will not allow us to innovate
it will only continue increase price cos there is no competition
who suffers
the consumer

So why not do same for Palm oil?
No palm related products should be permitted into this country.
Shikina
i repeat protectionism is always a bad idea
ua just subsidising mediocrity and failure and making some rich that don't deserve it
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by RealityShot: 6:17am On Apr 21, 2018
Cromagnon:
we pay more for chicken than imported one
protection will not allow us to innovate
it will only continue increase price cos there is no competition
who suffers
the consumer

i repeat protectionism is always a bad idea
ua just subsidising mediocrity and failure and making some rich that don't deserve it
hmm..
importation of almost everything was banned in china for many years while they were developing... See them now.

importation of many thing is banned in North Korea.. Now the world is begging them.

LAST christmas, a 3 months old broiler sold for maximum of 1500 in warri!
that's something you cannot go out and buy at 2k easily right now.

You know why?

there were too many sellers!!!

our poultry industry is growing, now price will gradually come down because every one wants to sell their products to avoid losses...

that my oga, is what ban brings to an economy. GROWTH.

I saw one new poultry being built near a suya slaughter house last month...

1 Like

Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 11:12pm On Apr 23, 2018
RealityShot:
hmm..
importation of almost everything was banned in china for many years while they were developing... See them now.

importation of many thing is banned in North Korea.. Now the world is begging them.

You know why?

our poultry industry is growing, now price will gradually come down because every one wants to sell their products to avoid losses...

You are very correct.
Ultimately we will be able to export and that's what brings hard currency

1 Like

Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by Cromagnon: 12:06am On Apr 26, 2018
RealityShot:
hmm..
The ban failed
Do your research properly
It is when they opened up they boomed

Where is no now
Poverty

Chicken should be less but it is that high cos there is no land reform
N land no credit from bank
No credit no tractor
No tractor costly maize
Costly maize costly chicken
That is why it will always be cheaper to smuggle than grow them

You know why?

No it is not
I am a poultry stakeholder
Its struggling cos maize is costly

this is not growth it is redistribution of income
And tax on the consumer

and another one closed down somewhere else

1 Like

Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by RealityShot: 4:07am On Apr 26, 2018
Cromagnon:
The ban failed Do your research properly It is when they opened up they boomed
Where is no now Poverty
Chicken should be less but it is that high cos there is no land reform N land no credit from bank No credit no tractor No tractor costly maize Costly maize costly chicken That is why it will always be cheaper to smuggle than grow them
No it is not I am a poultry stakeholder Its struggling cos maize is costly this is not growth it is redistribution of income And tax on the consumer
and another one closed down somewhere else
great! So what is the way forward?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fresh And Split Dried Ginger / Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes / Natural Dried FISH form Maiduguri Available in Cartons (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.