Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,573 members, 7,809,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:50 PM

World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing (2788 Views)

Abacha Loot Is Too Huge For Us To Handle – World Bank / DSS Arrests 14-year-old Boko Haram Suspect Spying At Abuja Airport / Alaafin Of Oyo & His Wives Cause A Stir At Abuja Airport (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by aloyemeka2: 11:46pm On Jan 20, 2010
World Bank votes $65m for Abuja airport fencing
By Chika Goodluck-Ogazi

THE World Bank has allocated $65 million for the fencing of the Abuja Airport.

This is part of measures to ensure the security of the nation's airports, following the December 25 bomb attempt in the United States (U.S.).

The Task Team Leader of the World Bank Sponsored Projects Supervision, Pierre Pozoddiborgo, disclosed this yesterday in Lagos during a visit to the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA).

"We are monitoring the outcome of the project in conjunction with the NCAA. The challenges that have been posed by the event of December 25 is a challenge to all of us. I mean we are users of the airports like you and we would want to see if we can assist you on that matter of security," he said.

According to him, "We are working on the Abuja Airport fencing; the overall money has been put in place. It's not in turn very large; it's about $65 million but I think the impact will be far lasting and appreciated by all the agencies."

He noted that the objective of the project was to strengthen the capacity of the regulator to carry out the essential task of security in the country.

His words: "It is quite clear that we are in a dynamic partnership. We have accomplished a lot together and we will accomplish more going forward on our common goal.

"We will do whatever it takes on our hands to provide you with technical and momentary assistance that you can gather the resources that you need to achieve and to maintain and beyond that, we are engaged in a constructive quality dialogue with the government of Nigeria to adapt on the state of the agency of the aviation industry."

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/jan/20/22.html
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by aloyemeka2: 11:48pm On Jan 20, 2010

World Bank procures $10m fire trucks for P/Harcourt airport

Shola Adekola, Lagos
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
THE World Bank has procured 10 new fire trucks worth $10 million for the upgrade of Port Harcourt International Airport in Rivers State.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/jan/20/607.html

Leading the World Bank team, Mr. Pierre Pozodiborgo, said the first batch of four of the trucks would arrive the country in March.

This, he said, was in line with the efforts of the Federal Government at making the airport to meet the standard of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) in fire safety.

Pozodiborgo, speaking at the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) headquarters, said with the allocation of $445.65 million to the industry by the bank to enforce safety and security, the challenges of runway incursion and other security problems would be addressed.

While pledging the assistance of the World Bank to the NCAA in its attainment of the United States Category One for the Nigerian aviation industry, the team said credit worth $50 million was also provided for Nigeria under the Economic and Growth Project in 2006 to build security fence for the Port-Harcourt Airport.
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by henry101(m): 11:52pm On Jan 20, 2010
who won d contract?
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by aloyemeka2: 1:52am On Jan 21, 2010
Are you interested?
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by FLT123(m): 12:28pm On Jan 21, 2010
so 1 firetruck na 1 million dollars, only in Nigeria, a new Mack firetruck is less than 150k USD.
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by ayo84(m): 1:32pm On Jan 21, 2010
We need to know who won the contract and what the contract entails first and foremost.
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by NSNA: 1:55pm On Jan 21, 2010
interesting
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by lawrence83: 2:54pm On Jan 21, 2010
World bank, money and Nigeria

Abeg this is a new year, make una no start . , , . . , now.!, ha han!
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by Kobojunkie: 2:59pm On Jan 21, 2010
Do we really need a fence that expensive?
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by aloyemeka2: 3:02pm On Jan 21, 2010
If we can't manage our money if given to us, is it not appropriate for the world bank to their donation to us?. I wish they invested in primary school buildings instead.
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by labiyemmy(m): 3:03pm On Jan 21, 2010
This topic and comments is another reason to prove that Nairaland stinks.
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by koolchicco: 4:08pm On Jan 21, 2010
aloy-emeka:

If we can't manage our money if given to us, is it not appropriate for the world bank to their donation to us?. I wish they invested in primary school buildings instead.

Either way, there are still some "Nigeria factors" to be wary of, unfortunately.
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jan 21, 2010
@labiyemmy:

so spare urself & stay the phuck away from nairaland.
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by lawrence83: 4:50pm On Jan 21, 2010
@labiyemmy:

I wouldn't mind if u, spare me your Nose,
make i take smell am.
ha han, this ur nose sef. tongue
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by otawa: 7:37pm On Jan 21, 2010
so 1 firetruck na 1 million dollars, only in Nigeria, a new Mack firetruck is less than 150k USD.

world bank is encouraging corrutpion

$1million for 1 firetruck. Kai

Nigerians should speak up about this and challenge WB, they cant be playing 419 on Nigeria, the home of 419!

http://web.worldbank.org/external/projects/main?pagePK=64283627&piPK=73230&theSitePK=40941&menuPK=228424&Projectid=P100785
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by henry101(m): 1:56am On Jan 22, 2010
Who won dis contract?
Dis one na WAYUO.
No be 2day world bank begin play us soccer.
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by ibabalol: 2:06am On Jan 22, 2010
$65m for fence alone? sometimes i don't understand this world bank self
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by DisGuy: 2:52am On Jan 22, 2010
they won the contract themselves, you think all the money they donate around the world is actually going to the country? they hire the consultants, tell you exactly what products they want (basically telling you what company to buy from), where other parts are sold (member countries) they tell you what shipping company to use and voila you hire some local drivers to deliver the 'product' hire local journalists then train some few people in-house with the help of their approved consultants cheesy 90% of the funds rotate amongst member state- all the same we say odim ma!
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by suxes2005(m): 4:14am On Jan 22, 2010
I dont understand them still

how can dey use such substantial amount of money

for fencing alone?

Is any nigerian working there?

SHALOM
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by aloyemeka2: 4:32am On Jan 22, 2010
suxes2005:

I dont understand them still

how can dey use such substantial amount of money

for fencing alone?

Is any nigerian working there?

SHALOM

Ngozi Iweala and Oby ezekwesili. wink wink wink wink
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by paddylo1(m): 5:11am On Jan 22, 2010
heres what i know about this fencing. .
it is being done,so as to transform the abuja airport into a regional hub
as all big airports have to be fenced for security reasons according to some worldwide airport rules

as for those saying corruption,this is a world bank funded and monitored programme
i doubt the world bank would steal their own money

its a good project as abuja is a natural hub
due to its location and close distance to european,african and middle east capitals
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by KMTee(f): 9:29am On Jan 22, 2010
'World Bank' Are they not humanbeings? they can embezzle their own money with the aids of
nigerians there, The money is supposed to used on something else not fencing.
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by GeeCee(m): 10:22am On Jan 22, 2010
I just hope we won't have 2 pay back. I mean i hope it's a dash, not a loan.
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by DeepSoul(f): 1:53pm On Jan 22, 2010
@labiyemmy:

And you have 697 posts?? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Abeg explain to us oh!! Is it that you like smelly places? Have a phobia for nice smells? Pls answer cos I'm presently carrying out a research on Smells. Fanks a banch wink

@OP
This fence sef, will it be made of GOLD?
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by PurestBoy(m): 2:59pm On Jan 22, 2010
@labiyemmy:

Just like ur father stinks, bastard
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by bandely(m): 6:20pm On Jan 22, 2010
PurestBoy:

Just like your father stinks, naughty person
shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by sulad82i(m): 2:19am On Jan 23, 2010
And what in it for the World Bank too?
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by smakcad(m): 7:26am On Jan 23, 2010
if only one pereson no go chop this money.it will be a laudable proget indeed. the railway own in lagos badagry express way is however rather slow. they should pls speed it up
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by blacksta(m): 9:18am On Jan 23, 2010
otawa:

world bank is encouraging corrutpion

$1million for 1 firetruck. Kai

Nigerians should speak up about this and challenge WB, they cant be playing 419 on Nigeria, the home of 419!

http://web.worldbank.org/external/projects/main?pagePK=64283627&piPK=73230&theSitePK=40941&menuPK=228424&Projectid=P100785

Even a secondhand u s firetruck cost $22,000 - $50,000 but for Nigeria it is 1 Mill , i just hope this firetruck has a helicopter landing pad and an in built hospital.

I smell fowl play here
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by parislomo(f): 11:20am On Jan 23, 2010
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by Ikhilor(m): 2:00pm On Jan 23, 2010
Since when did the W.B take up the security and maintenance of our airports? I Smell a dangerous precedent.We must beware of greek gifts, can be poisonous if not handled well
Re: World Bank Votes $65m For Abuja Airport Fencing by ifytess(m): 6:36pm On Jan 25, 2010
i am also sensing the peril and precedented danger in the offer. naija should be aware of what is happening. tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

Akunyili Gives Agf Aondoakaa Seven Days To Recant statement or face court action / BREAKING NEWS: Bomb Blast Rocks Military Church At Jaji In Kaduna / Buhari Intended To Stabilize Electric Power By 2019!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.