Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,255 members, 7,807,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:21 PM

Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) - Sports (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) (43243 Views)

Poll: Who will go through to the Semi Final?

Nigeria: 90% (169 votes)
Zambia: 9% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigeria Vs Zambia: CAF Under-17 Championship (3 - 1) On 21st February 2015 / Eaglets Shine In CHAN Eagles Friendly; Eagles Win 4-1 / Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Zambia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Sagamite(m): 12:40pm On Jan 26, 2010
simplify:

the giant of africa has shamed herself once again
it was by pure grace that we are through to the semis
it doesn't make sense, how can this be our best 11 out of 151 million nigerians
and we were playing against zambia, 9 million, with half as less pedigree than we when it comes to football,
a real embarrassment and an opportunity for the nff and the whole nation to once again reassess amodu's position

My advise to you for self and brain development is to:

- Try and get a passport ASAP
- Then apply for visa to as many countries as possible (including but not only western countries)
- Travel and see the world, don't be a lame tourist, engage with the locals and read their local news
- Stop listening to the pompous thrash they feed you in Nigeria
- Finally, eat food with a lot of Omega-3 fatty acids

Giant of Africa my bleeping arse!
Shaming ourselves? Fuu.cking idiot!
Population determines football prowess? Moooron!
Zambia that dominated Tunisia and gave Cameroun (with stronger players than naija) heat is who you are looking down on? Ediot!
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by DisGuy: 12:47pm On Jan 26, 2010
I think we should stop playing 4-3-3

4-4-2 is better
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Sagamite(m): 12:49pm On Jan 26, 2010
deb:

man Amodu has got to be romantic to motivate them cheesy lol. grin
, but on a more serious note, he could have be there to encourage them. A simple clap that portrays you can do it will be fine

Amodu not being there has no bearing on the outcome of the penalty or psyche of the penalty takers.

Kx brought another of the lame criticism of Amodu that annoys me. If he feels like not watching penalty, kini big deal. All this stuuuuupid anything to use to disparage Amodu.

We should instead be amazed at the quality of penalties our players took (and the Zambians were not bad as well). Absolutely superb penalties that showed they were trained well by the coaching crew or are gifted and the crew selected the right takers. I was already scared as I wish Kanu and Yak were there to take kicks.

I would have been happy to see Yak, Nsofor, Kanu, Mikel and Odems with Aiyenugba in goal.

There are at least 12 more people on the bench to clap if you need clappers to take a penalty.

It was a boring and below par performance.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Sagamite(m): 12:53pm On Jan 26, 2010
Dis Guy:

I think we should stop playing 4-3-3

4-4-2 is better

Not necessarily. If you have so much DMs and CMs, 4-3-3 is apt.

The problem is the lack of will by the wingers to take men on. Obasi needs to do leg overs, dribbles whatever even if he loses the ball eventually. We need him and Odems to disrupt the opposition shape, which only Odems is doing at the moment. Mikel needs to be in the box more and still join in defensive duties.

But if it is not working switch to 4-4-2 for a while.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jan 26, 2010
Sagamite:

My advise to you for self and brain development is to:

- Try and get a passport ASAP
- Then apply for visa to as many countries as possible (including but not only western countries)
- Travel and see the world, don't be a lame tourist, engage with the locals and read their local news
- Stop listening to the pompous thrash they feed you in Nigeria
- Finally, eat food with a lot of Omega-3 fatty acids

Giant of Africa my bleeping arse!
Shaming ourselves? Fuu.cking idiot!
Population determines football prowess? Moooron!
Zambia that dominated Tunisia and gave Cameroun (with stronger players than naija) heat is who you are looking down on? Ediot!

well said.people who havent really mixed with other nationalities have this notion that,EITHER they are the best OR the worst.

Nigerians talk of 'giant',which is utterly laughable when comparing the country with at least 15 African countries,if not more.
but thats life.
Each to his own,i say.

@simplify,population size has no bearing on soccer prowess
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Sauron1: 12:58pm On Jan 26, 2010
Sagamite:

Not necessarily. If you have so much DMs and CMs, 4-3-3 is apt.

The problem is the lack of will by the wingers to take men on. Obasi needs to do leg overs, dribbles whatever even if he loses the ball eventually. We need him and Odems to disrupt the opposition shape, which only Odems is doing at the moment.

But if it is not working switch to 4-4-2 for a while.

The 4-3-3 is not working. . . . . .Amodu should be bold and play 4-4-2.

I think his reluctance to lose is making him to be disgustingly negative.
With 4-3-3, you have Obasi and Odemiwingie having nothing to aim at in the opposition's box.
Yakubu is not exactly a mobile striker so playing 4-3-3 with Yakubu up top is as useless as a used tissue paper.

I'd rather we PLAY exciting football than the shower of shyte the SE are producing now.
We lacked tactical nous and cutting edge last night and we were so lucky to scrape through. . . . It had nothing to do with Amodu as we all know penalty shoot-out is a lottery. I don't see how this geriatric Amodu can outwit world class managers in South Africa.

Argentina will rip us to shreds if we don't up the ante. . . . .Even now i am starting to think Siasia is a better option(if we must use an indigenous coach)
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Sagamite(m): 1:02pm On Jan 26, 2010
~Sauron~:

With 4-3-3, you have Obasi and Odemiwingie having nothing to aim at in the opposition's box.
Yakubu is not exactly a mobile striker so playing 4-3-3 with Yakubu up top is as useless as a used tissue paper.

I'd rather we PLAY exciting football than the shower of shyte the SE are producing now.
We lacked tactical nous and cutting edge last night and we were so lucky to scrape through. . . . It had nothing to do with Amodu as we all know penalty shoot-out is a lottery. I don't see how this geriatric Amodu can outwit world class managers in South Africa.

Argentina will rip us to shreds if we don't up the ante. . . . .Even now i am starting to think Siasia is a better option(if we must use an indigenous coach)

You are mostly right.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by deb(m): 1:04pm On Jan 26, 2010
we played 4-5-1 not a full fledge 4-3-3.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Sagamite(m): 1:05pm On Jan 26, 2010
MrPrsdent:

well said.people who havent really mixed with other nationalities have this notion that,EITHER they are the best OR the worst.

Nigerians talk of 'giant',which is utterly laughable when comparing the country with at least 15 African countries,if not more.
but thats life.
Each to his own,i say.

@simplify,population size has no bearing on soccer prowess

He is one of the mooorons that have fallen completely for the patriotic rhetorics. Those that continue to see our huge and ballooning population as an asset instead of a ticking liability that needs to be controlled.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Sagamite(m): 1:06pm On Jan 26, 2010
deb:

we played 4-5-1 not a full fledge 4-3-3.

Correction. We played 4-5-0.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Sauron1: 1:14pm On Jan 26, 2010
Sagamite:

Correction. We played 4-5-0.

So what happened to our lone striker?
He doesn't exist? grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by felifeli: 1:16pm On Jan 26, 2010
eddiebomba:

Dat Zambian coach fine oo, hollywood looks - wont be surprised if zambian girls dey follow am constantly
You guys homos ?
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Sagamite(m): 1:18pm On Jan 26, 2010
~Sauron~:

So what happened to our lone striker?
He doesn't exist? grin

Worst game I have ever seen him play in my life.

The only times the ball got to him, he controlled it or passed it to Zambia.

And the worst thing was that his fat was gone. The only positive thing he did all game was dropping back once to pick up the ball from right midfield.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Sagamite(m): 1:20pm On Jan 26, 2010
felifeli:

You guys homos ?

So if you can identify a guy as good looking, you must be gay? undecided

So who is better looking, Will Smith or Shabba Ranks?
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by kokorunna(m): 1:25pm On Jan 26, 2010
What's gone wrong with the Super Eagles, yesterday's match was the worst have ever seen them play.

I wasted my valuable time watching the match when I should have gone to bed (my fault)

They lack motivation, cannot dribble, cannot pass properly, cannot take on people, worst on crossing and so on.

The whole team should be replaced with the under 16 or under 21 team, in my opinion the team picks itself not the coach.

How can Yakubu who is just recovering from injury be playing when everton use him for 10 to 15 minutes, Obafemi injured and Mikel absolutely useless.

Chelsea do not need him because they are coping well with out him, there are players in the Premier League such as Gabriel Agbonlahor, Nedum Onuoha etc but plays for England.

What's wrong with the coach choosing all this useless and over-age players all the time, Kanu should not even be on subs bench, he is a part time player at Portsmouth

Its high time a foreign coach with excellent management skills to be appointed, even the Eurosports commentators were shocked at the manner the Super Eagles played.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by deb(m): 1:27pm On Jan 26, 2010
Worst game I have ever seen him play in my life.

The only times the ball got to him, he controlled it or passed it to Zambia.

And the worst thing was that his fat was gone. The only positive thing he did all game was dropping back once to pick up the ball from right midfield.

I still think Amodu should have changed the formation during the course of the game to 4-4-2
but of course we went to the tournament with three and a half defensive midfielders
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by kokorunna(m): 1:31pm On Jan 26, 2010
Thats NO EXCUSE, in simple words we are not good enough
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by honeric01(m): 1:34pm On Jan 26, 2010
ZAMBIA PLAYED

NIGERIA WON

EOD.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by MrTA(m): 1:38pm On Jan 26, 2010
That match was really awful viewing.

It was so bad that at one point i just wanted the SE out of the tournament.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by otukpo(f): 3:30pm On Jan 26, 2010
Zambiams played better.
They were just unlucky with the goals.
All the same, i am happy we won.
Kudos to Enyeama, he is my man of the match.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by kason121(m): 3:48pm On Jan 26, 2010

Even if we are playing 4-5-1 Yakubu should start from bench and marthin with his speed should top the 9.however Siasia is the right man there cuz he prefer his job to religion and brothers
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by spiderman(m): 3:59pm On Jan 26, 2010
In my opinion, i feel yesterdays match was exactly what Nigeria needed. The match showed that our present crop of players are a long way from being what we desire. We need to know we are not good enough and know it now before we embarass ourselves further.
I love the way we were thoruughly humbled even though we won. I see it as a good thing in the long run because our players need to know they are nowhere as a team and come down from their high horses, they should know we are not going to meet teams like Zambia in the world cup and start working hard.

but frankly we need a new coach!!!
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by semid4lyfe(m): 4:16pm On Jan 26, 2010
Frankly, all of you who expected the Super Eagles to completely outplay the Zambians, run them ragged and win are suffering from severe & chronic amnesia. . . . .Rewind to Tunisia 94. . . .the same Zambian team( 2nd string & hurriedly assembled) completely outplayed the S.E(Our best team ever) & ran us ragged with Clemens Westerhof (A white man & world class coach?) in charge. . . .Funny thing is no one complained back then becos it was the final and we won.

Now lets fast-forward to Ghana 2008. . . .Egypt the eventual winners of that tournament only drew one match(1-1). . . and YES, it was against Zambia (in the group stages). . . . .IMO, that match was the best in the competition. . . . .fast-paced football, great end to end stuff, scintillating dribbles, timely tackles etc. In fact, Egypt was lucky to have drawn that match because they were completely outplayed by a Zambian team led by their present captain. . .
Katongo.

Now the Present. . . . .unlike most of you, I was opportuned to see a recording of the friendly match between Nigeria & Zambia in South Africa and that match was pretty similar to what we saw yesterday. . . .The Zambians were very fast, mobile, nimble on the ball, very good dribblers and completely dominated play in that friendly. Therefore, coming into this match, I was under no illusions we were going to dominate play and overrun the chipolopolos. . . . this was the reason I refrained from making a pre-match prediction (1st time for a Nigerian match in Angola 2010) cos to be truthfull, I was afraid & very fearfull we'd lose. Amodu knew this and chose to play more of containment football by playing a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation and stealing victory if he could. . . . .in fact, I was rather surprised by the obvious respect we were getting from the Zambians in the 1st 30minutes and I said to my friend. . . . .'no be the same zambia wey wan kill us for that friendly be this?' Having said this, what I saw yesterday wasn't brilliant but it wasn't bad either. . . . .the midfielders (particularly Kaita) fought, battled, marked and contested every ball. For the 1st time in this competition, I saw a Mikel who was a bit attack-minded, was not too immobile, moved forward with the ball and took shots at goal when in position to, instead of passing or doing 'merry go round'. We chased everyball, defended resolutely and played with determination and grit. I saw more of close pressure marking and something akin to the 'do or die' spirit I have always advocated. We were certainly very determined not to concede a goal and lose in regulation time or 120 minutes. . . .those were the positives for me. Save for Yaku-fat. . . .Amodu started exactly the 1st 11 I would have started and he made the right substitions too though a bit belated.

Finally, make una stop to dey think sey una players better pass those of other countries becos dem dey play for Europe and as a result una suppose outplay & beat any country. Football no dey work like that. You all should be happy we won. . . . .For school, na person wey pass sabi book, no be person wey answer questions pass for class or appears to be the most intelligent. . . . . Zambia did the playing but we Won. . .EOD.

Make I stop here for now. . . . .e no easy to dey post with mobile.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by 77ken: 4:38pm On Jan 26, 2010
super vultures in the semi-finals Amodu for FIFA coach of the Year. grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by namdo(m): 5:02pm On Jan 26, 2010
our VP na Goodluck J. grin, don't be surprised especially as Umaru MY no dey town. SE would need Goodluck J. again to pass thru black stars and after the cup final we should unanimously crown Goodluck J. acting president. cool without written note from Umaru MY. hehehe tongue, afterall egypt won cameroun with game antics too.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Meldrick(m): 5:37pm On Jan 26, 2010
Nsofor is really getting to irritate me with the way he ballons the ball anyhow. No wonder Mourinho makes him warm the bench. Doesn't understand the tip tap game. He can never fit into a team like Barca or Arsenal. Just keeps shooting from all corners and the ball goes wide with getting close to the post.

Gosh !!!!
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by jumobi1(m): 5:46pm On Jan 26, 2010
felifeli:

You guys homos ?

LMMFAO!!!
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by jumobi1(m): 5:52pm On Jan 26, 2010
Sagamite:

Amodu not being there has no bearing on the outcome of the penalty or psyche of the penalty takers.

He has to be there. He is the coach. If you have confidence your team would make their penalties, then there is no need to be nervous. If there is no nervousness, then he should be there. Him not being there meant he was afraid a player/the players would mess up, He showed lack of confidence.
A coach should be there to show support to the team and you might not think it affects confidence but that is because coaches being present is the norm. The guys showed they are mentally tough cos sometimes when people feel they are not trusted, they go extra hard to prove they can do it.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by honeric01(m): 6:00pm On Jan 26, 2010
And who said Amodu was not present when the penalties were taking place?
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Sagamite(m): 6:02pm On Jan 26, 2010
jumobi1:

He has to be there. He is the coach. If you have confidence your team would make their penalties, then there is no need to be nervous. If there is no nervousness, then he should be there. Him not being there meant he was afraid a player/the players would mess up, He showed lack of confidence.
A coach should be there to show support to the team and you might not think it affects confidence but that is because coaches being present is the norm. The guys showed they are mentally tough cos sometimes when people feel they are not trusted, they go extra hard to prove they can do it.

What rubbish conjectures.

Which coach is confident (out of logic, not sheer optimism) that his team would win a penalty?

The last sentence is the type that makes me vituperate people. So if a coach is not there then it affects the team's penalty performance BUUUUUT the mental toughness (you are their psychologist) of the players made them win in this case.

See my signature | | | | |
                       \/\/\/\/\/
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by jumobi1(m): 6:28pm On Jan 26, 2010
Sagamite:

What rubbish conjectures.

Which coach is confident (out of logic, not sheer optimism) that his team would win a penalty?

The last sentence is the type that makes me vituperate people. So if a coach is not there then it affects the team's penalty performance BUUUUUT the mental toughness (you are their psychologist) of the players made them win in this case.

See my signature | | | | |
                       \/\/\/\/\/

SO Mr. Intellectual, give me a good reason why the coach wasn't there (if the story is true)
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Daboncrush(m): 6:33pm On Jan 26, 2010
Their passes are not accurate and they are loosing the ball too often.

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (Reply)

Emiliano Sala:- Cushions 'From Missing Plane' Found / Different Nigerians' Reactions To Nigeria 4: 0 Win Over Libya (Memes) / Chichi Igbo Threatens To Snatch Boyfriends From Sexy Ladies (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.