Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,827 members, 7,806,321 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:44 PM

Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. (47263 Views)

Gattuso Warns Napoli Fans Over Osimhen Expectation, Says We Have Not Signed Pele / J J Okocha And Ronaldinho Caught Up At Airport Waiting Wing(photos,video) / How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by akigbemaru: 4:06pm On Jun 12, 2017
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by masada: 4:06pm On Jun 12, 2017
there was a country
everything was well laid out

how did we loose it
how did we get here
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by naturalwaves: 4:06pm On Jun 12, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
sad
It feels like yesterday....
Listening to martial music from my dad's transistor radio.

Then I heard.

Good day fellow Nigerians, I am Colonel Dimka, I bring to you good tidings....the hypocrisy of the Murtala Mohammed administration has been discovered.........

Gosh... When Nigeria was Nigeria

This is the first time I will ever come across a sensible/ near sensible thing from you cheesy. kudos. Let me reiterate someone's question. Do you live in Nairaland? grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by unitysheart(m): 4:07pm On Jun 12, 2017
Wow. This is history. Thanks for this

1 Like

Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by tablesturn: 4:08pm On Jun 12, 2017
There was a country....
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by Santino1(m): 4:09pm On Jun 12, 2017
Thanks naptu. Can't believe the great Arthur Ashe once played in Lagos. I wish Nigeria has at least an ATP 250 event but unfortunately tennis is practically non-existent in the country.
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jun 12, 2017
smiley
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by topas100(m): 4:13pm On Jun 12, 2017
Nice write-up

1 Like

Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by OlujobaSamuel: 4:14pm On Jun 12, 2017
naptu2, i don know sey na u go be the op. welludon. i don laff tire; "we are mourning, you are making money", "what is a coup" naija, which way?
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by Yhemit(m): 4:15pm On Jun 12, 2017
wow..... we are once like white before.
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by Eluwilussit(m): 4:16pm On Jun 12, 2017
emmanuel596:
sad

Is this post about Ojukwu, Biafra, Tennis, Pele and friends?
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jun 12, 2017
OrestesDante:

wait... Are you living inside Nairaland...?
that's how you spot a jobless fellow
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by NwaAmaikpe: 4:20pm On Jun 12, 2017
naturalwaves:

This is the first time I will ever come across a sensible/ near sensible thing from you cheesy. kudos. Let me reiterate someone's question. Do you live in Nairaland? grin grin

Check my location on my profile
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by NwaAmaikpe: 4:24pm On Jun 12, 2017
YOUNGSTUNNA:

that's how you spot a jobless fellow

Me, jobless?

That's a very wrong description.

Very soon I'd let you in on what I do, I'm so certain you'd be very speechless and take back that word in shame.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by Rayman5(m): 4:26pm On Jun 12, 2017
The white men left too early we are too barbaric
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 12, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:

Me, jobless?

That's a very wrong description.

Very soon I'd let you in on what I do, I'm so certain you'd be very speechless and take back that word in shame.
Now you just prove me right... can anyone busy doing anything comment on every post on nairaland even at 12 am?
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by naturalwaves: 4:32pm On Jun 12, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:

Check my location on my profile
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy. I see.
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by DanseMacabre(m): 4:34pm On Jun 12, 2017
Naptu2, you have my unreserved admiration boss. Bless. This is one of the most informative cum entertaining threads I've come across yet on here. I'd really wish to meet you one on one and tap from your reservoir of knowledge.

Sorry, but I've got to be a tad rude here. Since you obviously were a part of our halcyon days, what the fork went wrong with the country? We were poised on the threshold of greatness, what the hell happened?

1 Like

Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by NwaAmaikpe: 4:35pm On Jun 12, 2017
YOUNGSTUNNA:

Now you just prove me right... can anyone busy doing anything comment on every post on nairaland even at 12 am?

No more exchanges.
Peace.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by DanseMacabre(m): 4:39pm On Jun 12, 2017
My most favourite part of the narrative, funny enough, was where one of the tennis guys described their hunting lizards with darts as being 'not too politically correct at the time.'

If say na this hypocritical generation, their matter for don full twitter.
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by seguno2: 4:39pm On Jun 12, 2017
verygudbadguy:
Hahahaha.. grin cheesy grin

@OP, so we were once on the world map for hosting tennis games... Na wa o.

So what went wrong all of a sudden. This is one of the reasons my dad always says our generation is not so lucky. They enjoyed almost everything in their time

What is reported in the OP is a sign of what was already going wrong with our country.
Soldiers ordering civilians around with machine guns because Murtala Muhammed was killed by Dimka in a failed coup.
The adults of that period were too busy "enjoying" themselves to see the signs of deterioration they should have addressed.
It got worse because they did nothing.
It is getting even worse now as we also drink away our sorrows, dance away our worries, fcvk away our lives and keep complaining about our leaders not realising that we allow them rule us.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by deebrain(m): 4:39pm On Jun 12, 2017
emmanuel596:
sad

The picture you posted is so on point.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by seguno2: 4:45pm On Jun 12, 2017
emmanuel596:
sad

Did anyone die from Buhari's family in 2011 when dogs and baboons were soaked in blood?
Were his children not in London schools while he was pretending to be a poor man and sending uneducated almajiris to kill innocent civilians, including youth corpers?
Is Buhari any better than the other selfish idiots whom we have allowed to rule us?
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jun 12, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:

No more exchanges. Peace.
peace brother...
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jun 12, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:

No more exchanges. Peace.
peace brother...
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by Bobby808: 4:55pm On Jun 12, 2017
emmanuel596:
sad
You people will never change for better. The people of your area are the real opposite of good.
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jun 12, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
sad
It feels like yesterday....
Listening to martial music from my dad's transistor radio.

Then I heard.

Good day fellow Nigerians, I am Colonel Dimka, I bring to you good tidings....the hypocrisy of the Murtala Mohammed administration has been discovered.........

Gosh... When Nigeria was Nigeria

Dis NwaAmaikpe gee na real savage grin guy carry on jare...ur comments on FP topics always dy make me laugh...jos kip making oda comment readers lyk me laugh
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jun 12, 2017
Great piece OP, i read it all and I can't forget what I've gained from it. There was once a country indeed!
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by TheShopKeeper(m): 5:11pm On Jun 12, 2017
What a nice piece of history...where did we go wrong in Nigeria.
I think we have to retrace our steps in order to move forward as a nation.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by ItzWonderz(m): 5:27pm On Jun 12, 2017
U really expect us to read dis long stuff,,come on man,,,u no get fear of God again nii
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by hysteriabox(m): 5:31pm On Jun 12, 2017
Worisdis?!

Epistuuuuuu... jesuuuu

Haba, sabo da ubangiji

Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by darkckUSA: 5:42pm On Jun 12, 2017
PanickMode:
An Epistle to those that have bleeps to give

Lol!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Made In Nigeria Chelsea Wedding / List Of African Footballers Who Died From Cardiac Arrests (Nigerians Top List) / Chelsea Fan Dies In Ghana After Barcelona Defeat (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.